Either 3D or Audio since Win10 Upgrade, EDID - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-20-2016, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Either 3D or Audio since Win10 Upgrade, EDID

Hi forum,

In my setup, I have connected a HTPC (ASRock Vision X 321B W with a AMD Radeon HD7850M) to a A/V amp (Teufel Central AV) which is in turn connected to a 3D capable projector (Panasonic PT-AT6000E) or a not 3D capable TV (via HDMI switch). Under windows 7, everything worked flawlessly. I could watch 3D movies with audio using HDMI. It was also fine in the early time of Windows 10, but after the anniversary update, I can choose between 3D OR audio, but never both at the same time. It's like the PC recognizes two different devices: one supports audio but not 3D, the other supports 3D but no audio (the HDMI audio device always appears as disconnected). I can (unreliably) make it switch between the two profiles by switching the AV on off, or by switching between projector and TV. Usually I have to boot with the TV on and then switch to the projector and hope that audio will stick.

I recently learned about EDID overrides and followed the following protocol by Marc (from 2011 in this board, sorry, I can't post links):

1) download this (moninfo) and install it
2) Plug your pc directly into the TV, without the amp involved and then run moninfo
3) Go to View > Refresh to make sure the info being displayed is up to date
4) Go to File > Create INF and save the file as TV.inf - this will contain the information about the resolutions and sound formats your TV supports
5) Plug your PC and TV back into your amp
6) Press F5 to refresh the moninfo view, make sure the Raw data changes.
7) make sure the moninfo window is active, then unplug the hdmi to the tv so your PC is plugged into the amp but you have no picture
8) Press F5 to refresh the moninfo view again, then wait about 30 seconds to make sure it finishes refreshing
9) Plug your tv back into the amp
10) Go to File > Create INF and save the file as Amp.inf - this will contain the information about the resolutions and audio formats supported by the amp
11) Last step is to edit one of the inf files you just created, in the section shown below so that the BASE Edid HKR bit is from the tv.inf file and the Extension bloc 1 HKR bit is from the Amp.inf file

This did help to always load the same device, but again, either audio or 3D (my first try resulted in a driver which always had audio but never 3D, my second try resulted in the exact opposite).

I don't really understand what kind of information BASE Edid HKR and Extension bloc 1 HKR contain. Audio seems to be saved in the Extension bloc. But what about 3D? Is it also saved in the extension block? Hence my trials were doomed to fail. However, when using moninfo after loading the handmade driver, it showed audio capabilities, but yet, the audio HDMI device appeared as disconnected.

When I choose edit in moninfo, it always displays the connection as DVI, although I am using HDMI only. But this is true for all profiles, even the ones that produce audio.

Does anybody have an idea what I am doing wrong? How can audio and 3D properly be merged in a EDID file?

Besides Moninfo I also tried the EDID manager by Extron Electronics. This provides somewhat more detailed information. When investigating the EDID of the projector (I saved the bin file using moninf while the 3D capability was there), I could not find any hints regarding 3D. Where is this information stored? What information in the EDID tells the system whether a display is 3D capable or not?

I have attached the extracts from EDID manager:

dspinfo_AV_Amp_only.txt -> taken when only the AV amp was connected -> audio but no 3D
dspinfo_Projector_only.txt -> taken when the projector was connected directly to the HTPC -> 3D but no audio -> where is the 3D info hidden?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards
Pesche
Attached Files
File Type: txt dspinfo_AV_Amp_only.txt (10.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: txt dspinfo_Projector_only.txt (9.0 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d display , audio , edid , hdmi , htpc