4K Projectors with 3D - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #91 of 110 Old 07-28-2017, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Tom, I saw one report recently that LG is manufacturing 1000 3D 4K TV sets per day now. As I said it's not that they aren't being made, it's only that you won't find them in US B&M stores ( for now) When the fools who sell electronics learn what 3D is and get a sales attitude as opposed to claiming it is too hard to deal with as opposed to 20th century technology, then you will need to go to Asia or Europe for buying the 3D TV's.
Please tell us more about this report and what it contained. Where can we find it? If what you say is true, that is great news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 Old 07-28-2017, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
LG is NOT. I repeat is NOT manufacturing any 3D type displays anywhere in the world. They discontinued all passive 3D monitors years ago and this year TV panels.

lg passive 3d montiors

http://www.lg.com/ae/monitors/lg-DM2780D-lcd-monitor

The only thing they sell now that's 3D is the glasses, unfortunately. But I would suspect they will remove those this year too.

The only ones left are 2016 models currently in stores (or previous years 2014/15) and those are disappearing fast. Best Buy no longer has the regular LED, only OLED models, you'll likely have to order online at Amazon for one of those. The only new panels for 2017 are the Panasonic EX750 line and they appear to be for sale in Europe only.

For a PC setup, unless you can source a used passive model, you'll have to go with an active model which requires the Nvidea 3D vision. And that's about it. There are also glass-free displays from IZON and Rembrandt but those are $6k.

The good news is the projector market is still releasing 3D models. Benq just released a handful of projectors with 3D, all of them 1080p though. Not sure on what's out there for 4K PJ with 3D other that what was already released.

Edit: Ok, I just saw this: 60" 4K 3D passive panel Made in Korea, looks to have world-wide shipping. So the 3D flat panel market is alive and well, lol.

This line intentionally left blank.

Last edited by tomtastic; 07-28-2017 at 11:23 AM.
post #93 of 110 Old 07-30-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychatbonneau View Post
Please tell us more about this report and what it contained. Where can we find it? If what you say is true, that is great news.
Been putting 9000 miles of travel this past month on my body shooting 4K, 3D, and VR360 3D so I haven't been around much. But I did locate the article and dug through it for the date and it was 2016 so that coincides with Tom's report that as of 2017 LG has dropped 3D LED mfg. support but I also saw several reports that Sony was also dropping support too.
Tom, the LG model you posted is the one I have here in my edit suite I believe. The remote control is in Korean, but the TV has English option setting. It is still available through Alibaba in China but with the end of manufacturing, it seems the best option is the used market. I also have my 32" Vizio which fried a couple years ago but I repaired it with a replacement power supply board that cost me ~$75 used part through ebay. It's still working great.

I believe 3D will remain alive as long as content is being produced. For those of us who understand and appreciate 3D, it will never die. Even when 3D stereo was in the low point 15 years ago, I would make it a point to visit Disney World where it was the only place to see 3D.

For something new- be on the lookout for my latest 3D 360 VR productions on my YT channel.
I shot and currently editing:
1. Badlands National Park in 360 3D and in 4K which will require VR goggles to see it. This one was done as a drive through with the 360 3D camera rig mounted on the car roof. I also shot a walking tour of key locations in wide IA 3D and with the Panasonic Z10K. There will also be a 3D car cam road trip as a third production.
2. Mt. Rushmore in 3D 360 and in 4K
3. A walking tour around the cruise ship Celebrity Solstice in 3D 360 4K.

Plus many other 3D documentaries, such as a trip on the White Pass Railroad from Skagway AK to Frasure, BC the scenery in 3D is breathtaking.
3DBob likes this.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752

post #94 of 110 Old 07-30-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, I remember seeing the 27" LG on Newegg (direct from Korea) back in early '15 and I put off ordering for awhile. At the same time I also saw them on eBay, also direct from Korea. They were running about 450.00 back then which I thought was a bit steep so I held off thinking the prices might come down, but instead they discontinued them and that was pretty much it for passive 3D monitors, so I ended up getting this 49" LG TV to use as an edit monitor, it's bigger but it works ok for what I need.

I sent an email to the Rembrandt display company for a price quote on the 27" glasses-free model they are selling and the CEO responded back but the price was let's just say, not for prime-time which I didn't really expect (though I didn't expect it would be quite that high). I think a glasses free monitor would be nice to have for the edit suite but it's just not cost effective yet.

The good news I think is that the projector market is still pretty healthy for 3D. I'm seriously thinking about picking up a 65" LG 2016 model but I can't right now, just don't have the budget for it, but maybe early next year if there are any left.

post #95 of 110 Old 07-30-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Been putting 9000 miles of travel this past month on my body shooting 4K, 3D, and VR360 3D so I haven't been around much. But I did locate the article and dug through it for the date and it was 2016 so that coincides with Tom's report that as of 2017 LG has dropped 3D LED mfg. support but I also saw several reports that Sony was also dropping support too.
Tom, the LG model you posted is the one I have here in my edit suite I believe. The remote control is in Korean, but the TV has English option setting. It is still available through Alibaba in China but with the end of manufacturing, it seems the best option is the used market. I also have my 32" Vizio which fried a couple years ago but I repaired it with a replacement power supply board that cost me ~$75 used part through ebay. It's still working great.

I believe 3D will remain alive as long as content is being produced. For those of us who understand and appreciate 3D, it will never die. Even when 3D stereo was in the low point 15 years ago, I would make it a point to visit Disney World where it was the only place to see 3D.

For something new- be on the lookout for my latest 3D 360 VR productions on my YT channel.
I shot and currently editing:
1. Badlands National Park in 360 3D and in 4K which will require VR goggles to see it. This one was done as a drive through with the 360 3D camera rig mounted on the car roof. I also shot a walking tour of key locations in wide IA 3D and with the Panasonic Z10K. There will also be a 3D car cam road trip as a third production.
2. Mt. Rushmore in 3D 360 and in 4K
3. A walking tour around the cruise ship Celebrity Solstice in 3D 360 4K.

Plus many other 3D documentaries, such as a trip on the White Pass Railroad from Skagway AK to Frasure, BC the scenery in 3D is breathtaking.
Don, sounds like you've had some productive travels. The only VR device I have is one of the crappy ones they were selling last year at Walmart for $15. So, when the time comes, I'm hoping there may be some way of watching your films on a monitor. I'll need to watch them in 2D. At this point, I've given up on watching any YT 3D as it's only available to me as anaglyph which I refuse to use for anything other than proofing in the field on my laptop.

Real crying shame about 3D flat screens going away. I'm also a bit concerned about this same thing happening with projectors over the next couple of years. I guess, time will tell.

My own 3D experiences this summer consisted of a trip to Cozumel in mid July. For the first couple of days, it was very discouraging, and I feared that the whole diving/filming trip was going to be unproductive. The current was much stronger than usual for this time of year and there didn't seem to be as many fish. Fortunately, things changed greatly for the better over the next 5 days of diving. The current subsided quite a bit and we got to some great dive sites! So, the week ended on a high note and I'm real happy with this years content.

The other highlight was meeting and spending time with the museum director who has asked me to do a 3D film for the new 150 seat theater they hope to have in sometime next year. He's actually and American with a background as an archaeologist. I wanted to pick his brain about just what kind of 3D effect they wanted. I explained to him about the "official 3D dogma" that all content must be behind the window and not in front. He thought this was nuts and said he wanted 3D that would reflect the actual underwater experience of things on many levels and fish coming out of the screen. My kind of guy! Needless to say, we hit it off and they'll be paying my way back down as the project nears completion to render tech assistance in making the film look as good as possible on the system they hope to put in. and to shoot more content for them. Hopefully, it all works out as planned.
3DBob likes this.
post #96 of 110 Old 07-30-2017, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Hi Barry. I was hoping to hear how your dive trip went. Glad the current cleared up for a more relaxing filming.

I have one Caribbean trip scheduled in a few months but I doubt I will get much video done of any kind since this one is the family double birthday trip. I may just do something simple and shoot stills and the GoPro 3D rig if the grandkids do the sting ray city excursion. The older grandson is very good snorkeler and this will be his second experience. The younger one is a little too small yet to properly handle the snorkel clearing. Not sure he will be ready by December. He is less athletic than the older one too.

The Walmart Goggles is what I have and the phone used with them makes a huge difference. My wife's iphone SE doesn't work well at all as it is too small. My iphone 6+ is pretty good but I think a true 4K screen would be the best.

The Vuze camera comes with a set of phone clipon lenses that I used on the trip with my iphone 6+ to test my footage from the vuze and it worked surprisingly well.

It took me 3 24 hour days to stitch the 8 cameras generating the Top/Bottom equirectangular mp4 clips. I'm most eager to get something up on that. Most of the key travels I will post in 2D & 3D. Fortunately, I don't have the problem with anaglyph as my YT player gives me normal 3D in my Home theater.

I'm happy to learn you had a good meeting with the museum people. I too had a good surprise on the cruise ship. They had a new guest on board for the cruise. Brent Nixon, National Geographic photographer and natural scientist who gave a series of lectures and video slide shows. I ended up buying all his videos which offer better quality than the theater projector.
So while you were in the warm Caribbean, I was hiking on a mountain top glacier at zero degrees wearing ice spike boots rather than fins. The temps at sea level were high in the mid 50's though.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #97 of 110 Old 07-30-2017, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Barry. I was hoping to hear how your dive trip went. Glad the current cleared up for a more relaxing filming.

I have one Caribbean trip scheduled in a few months but I doubt I will get much video done of any kind since this one is the family double birthday trip. I may just do something simple and shoot stills and the GoPro 3D rig if the grandkids do the sting ray city excursion. The older grandson is very good snorkeler and this will be his second experience. The younger one is a little too small yet to properly handle the snorkel clearing. Not sure he will be ready by December. He is less athletic than the older one too.

The Walmart Goggles is what I have and the phone used with them makes a huge difference. My wife's iphone SE doesn't work well at all as it is too small. My iphone 6+ is pretty good but I think a true 4K screen would be the best.

The Vuze camera comes with a set of phone clipon lenses that I used on the trip with my iphone 6+ to test my footage from the vuze and it worked surprisingly well.

It took me 3 24 hour days to stitch the 8 cameras generating the Top/Bottom equirectangular mp4 clips. I'm most eager to get something up on that. Most of the key travels I will post in 2D & 3D. Fortunately, I don't have the problem with anaglyph as my YT player gives me normal 3D in my Home theater.

I'm happy to learn you had a good meeting with the museum people. I too had a good surprise on the cruise ship. They had a new guest on board for the cruise. Brent Nixon, National Geographic photographer and natural scientist who gave a series of lectures and video slide shows. I ended up buying all his videos which offer better quality than the theater projector.
So while you were in the warm Caribbean, I was hiking on a mountain top glacier at zero degrees wearing ice spike boots rather than fins. The temps at sea level were high in the mid 50's though.
All in all, a good summer my friend. Sounds like you've really covered a lot of territory! In addition to the Cozumel trip, I've been camping in the Sierras about 3 days a week with Ryan, and sometimes my wife, taking time lapse content for this year's project. This one is all astro. One more to go in a few weeks at an old cavalry fort from the 1860's about 1 1/2 hours from here and the shooting for the project will be done. So, when summer ends, I plan to hit the computers hard and churn out a 4K 2D, and 3D Cozumel film, and the 4K time lapse film. Sounds like you've already hit your editing workstation pretty hard!! Good thing for us that we love doing post.

Last edited by Barry C; 07-30-2017 at 10:40 PM.
post #98 of 110 Old 07-31-2017, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

So tell me, did you capture any Northern Lights this year? I had heard in one of my lectures on the ship that last winter was the best in over a decade and was seen as far south as Oklahoma. Still visible on a clear night in Alaska. Unfortunately, most of the skies are cloudy summer nights in Alaska.

My 3D videos and more
post #99 of 110 Old 07-31-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No Northern Lights yet. Definitely on my list for a future project!
post #100 of 110 Old 08-02-2017, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Barry, Check out Chasing Corals on Netflix 4k HDR You'll love the camera rigs they designed. Your favorite topic lately, time lapsed but in an underwater camera.

My 3D videos and more
post #101 of 110 Old 08-24-2017, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
LG is NOT. I repeat is NOT manufacturing any 3D type displays anywhere in the world. They discontinued all passive 3D monitors years ago and this year TV panels.

lg passive 3d montiors

http://www.lg.com/ae/monitors/lg-DM2780D-lcd-monitor

The only thing they sell now that's 3D is the glasses, unfortunately. But I would suspect they will remove those this year too.

The only ones left are 2016 models currently in stores (or previous years 2014/15) and those are disappearing fast. Best Buy no longer has the regular LED, only OLED models, you'll likely have to order online at Amazon for one of those. The only new panels for 2017 are the Panasonic EX750 line and they appear to be for sale in Europe only.

For a PC setup, unless you can source a used passive model, you'll have to go with an active model which requires the Nvidea 3D vision. And that's about it. There are also glass-free displays from IZON and Rembrandt but those are $6k.

The good news is the projector market is still releasing 3D models. Benq just released a handful of projectors with 3D, all of them 1080p though. Not sure on what's out there for 4K PJ with 3D other that what was already released.

Edit: Ok, I just saw this: 60" 4K 3D passive panel Made in Korea, looks to have world-wide shipping. So the 3D flat panel market is alive and well, lol.
Not true. http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED77G6P-oled-4k-tv unless their flagship OLED is on the chopping block LG SIGNATURE OLED 4K HDR Smart TV - 77" Class (76.7" Diag)
OLED77G6P

3D
FPR (Passive) Yes
3D Glasses 2 Glasses Included
RonAlam likes this.
post #102 of 110 Old 08-24-2017, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioQuestions View Post
Not true. http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED77G6P-oled-4k-tv unless their flagship OLED is on the chopping block LG SIGNATURE OLED 4K HDR Smart TV - 77" Class (76.7" Diag)
OLED77G6P

3D
FPR (Passive) Yes
$19,999 lol 65" is $7,999

They made the top of line with 3D, and, of course, wouldn't make sense to redesign it, so it stands as is...I give them a big you know what...
post #103 of 110 Old 08-24-2017, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioQuestions View Post
OLED77G6P

3D
FPR (Passive) Yes
Unfortunately, it is true. That's a 2016 model, they might take longer to sell the remaining stock because of the extra cost of an extra 12 inches, but there are no more 3D flat panels being made. If you want one you shouldn't wait, they will be gone by year's end.

post #104 of 110 Old 08-25-2017, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post

Unfortunately, it is true. That's a 2016 model, they might take longer to sell the remaining stock because of the extra cost of an extra 12 inches, but there are no more 3D flat panels being made. If you want one you shouldn't wait, they will be gone by year's end.
Of course, 2018 may or may not have a model or two with 3D. All we know for sure is that it is not included on 2017 sets. Still, best not to wait.
post #105 of 110 Old 08-25-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I posted this before. Direct from Korea. Looking it over it uses a LG passive IPS panel inside. Would be interesting if 3rd parties could keep 3D going, maybe buy the IPS panel design and put them in new displays. Don't know if that's what they did here or had a limited supply of them when LG still made 3D panels.

The Ham 60" UHD 3D passive display

http://www.theham.kr/products/n600uhd3d.html

post #106 of 110 Old 09-22-2017, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Barry, I experimented last night. Invoking bright mode for 3D is just way too much crosstalk, even adjusting the contrast. What I found that did work to get better blacks and more brightness was to use the medium 3D brightness mode and turn up the contrast a bit. I then had the frame interpolation on high, and I also hooked up my Darbee between the bluray player and the projector. The Darbee, if you don't know, increases detail somewhat without noise and ghost lines around objects like unsharp mask does in the photo realm. And I also sat 5 feet closer. Well that was the recipe. I'm back in business with 3D. The frame interpolation is more subtle than I've seen on other TVs and does not destroy the "film" look. Plus it was just enough to stop any glasses shutter flicker that I was seeing before this--along with judder. Also the picture is now knock-out sharp with no crosstalk. So now I'm thinking I'm going to keep it. Just have to get my son over here to help me lift it to attach to a ceiling mount--dang, it's big
Jumping in here late, but having the same issues with trying to optimize 3D on the 5040UB. What glasses did you each try? You mentioned Samsungs and Epson OEM, but curious about the model. I am having crosstalk issues and will try some of your settings tips.
post #107 of 110 Old 09-22-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundodger View Post
Jumping in here late, but having the same issues with trying to optimize 3D on the 5040UB. What glasses did you each try? You mentioned Samsungs and Epson OEM, but curious about the model. I am having crosstalk issues and will try some of your settings tips.
There is a possibility that the problems you are having with your 5040 aren't glasses related, but are an uncorrected issue with the projector itself. There was a whole thread from 5040 owners on this problem. Epson is aware of the problem and was sending out replacement projectors to people who complained to them enough. I'm not sure if it's a firmware issue or something else. I also don't know if they've corrected the problem in 5040s manufactured after a certain date. You should probably contact them about this and don't let anyone there tell you that they're not aware of this issue.
post #108 of 110 Old 09-22-2017, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks Barry. I reached out to Epson. When I tested a few different glasses I didn't actually see much of an issue (using Prometheus and Avatar), but recently trying to view Dr. Strange and Fantastic Beasts the crosstalk was pretty bad in parts (using a pair of Samsungs).
post #109 of 110 Old 09-22-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundodger View Post
Thanks Barry. I reached out to Epson. When I tested a few different glasses I didn't actually see much of an issue (using Prometheus and Avatar), but recently trying to view Dr. Strange and Fantastic Beasts the crosstalk was pretty bad in parts (using a pair of Samsungs).
I recall from that thread that Epson was sending out replacement projectors- refurbs maybe- and some people said that the problem was still there and others indicated that the problem was gone. Just something to be aware of when dealing with them. I have a 5020 and never have crosstalk problems, except when I tried it at its 3D high brightness option. Then there was some.
post #110 of 110 Old 09-22-2017, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Yup, there is a known issue with the 5040UB. I ended up returning after trying to watch the last Star Wars movie. The crosstalk was unbearable. Mainly, because the scenes were dark, and I had to turn the brightness up.

I learned a couple of things along the way. The Samsung glasses have the least crosstalk. And you need to do an LCD color alignment--look in the manual. That corrects some of it. If the LCDs are out of alignment due to shipping it can cause loss of apparent faux K resolution and 3D crosstalk. Keep brightness on medium, not high, for 3D. Epson has a fix, but several people have remarked that it appears that in 3D mode, they have limited the brightness and some other settings to limit the crosstalk. I have a super large screen, so I need all the brightness I can get, so that's just not an option. You can try sending it back for the fix. If it works out for you then good for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page