suspicious ebay sites selling OLED TVs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-25-2017, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
suspicious ebay sites selling OLED TVs

I ran across some Ebay sites the last couple of days selling LG OLED 4K 3D TVs for a lot less than the usual price, as low as $720 for a "new" LG OLED55C6P.

I decided not to buy because several people selling this same model for unusually low prices all just happened to become new Ebay sellers on the same day, yesterday, March 24, and they aren't selling any other products, just the one TV.

It sounded too good to be true.

I've gotten a bit skittish about buying LG TVs online after contacting scammers on Amazon.com, also allegedly selling LG OLED 4K 3D TVs, where they try to use email to redirect you to what may be a phony Amazon site and insist the item be bought using gift cards.

The last time I saw this kind of listing, I contacted Amazon about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-26-2017, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 308
And guess what? It probably is a scam! If it's too good to be true....

Yes, they pop up on ebay all the time - if you look closely those listings are usually promptly taken down as people report them as being a scam - there's almost always some weird term like you have to contact the seller and they really want some high price and never intentioning to use eBay at all other than to advertise their scam.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-26-2017, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
These are scams. There is a big one going around for the Epson 5040UB, selling at $400 dollars as well. They will send the "projector" to the wrong city, which really is just an empty box, hoping that you won't inform Amazon immediately. Therefore, they skip town with your money and Amazon pays you a refund based on their satisfaction program. Happened to a friend of mine. Also notice that a lot of these sellers want you to send them an email first to make sure the object is still in stock. Then they try to get you to pay through Amazon Payments--turns out the link they send you to is a fake site, and they have your credit card info as well. It's ugly out there. My advise, never buy a used product on Amazon unless it is sold by Amazon Warehouse (these are returns) or an authorized dealer.

post #4 of 11 Old 03-30-2017, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 88
It is a well-known scam. Check again later and you'll find the seller's account has been removed from Ebay.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-01-2017, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
It is a well-known scam. Check again later and you'll find the seller's account has been removed from Ebay.
Good to know. I feel better about not buying.

By the way, I have also run into that "email me before you order" scam on Amazon twice now, by the way. I reported it to Amazon the last time I ran into it.

I have seen about half a dozen of these scams now, every one of them advertising the same brand and model of LG OLED 4K 3D TV.

It is bad enough being a 3D shopper in this market without having to put up with this crap.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-01-2017, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It happens on a lot of products. Even some you think are so specialized that it makes you wonder if the audience is big enough to have a sucker.

On eBay, the email me text is an image - I'm guessing eBay scans the text or they purposely exclude eBay employees from seeing the image. I report the eBay ones because they are always trying to go around ebay's bidding and payment system.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-01-2017, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just simply check their seller feedback. That tells it all.

WillaimDeansPlumbing.com
post #8 of 11 Old 04-02-2017, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

They use hacked accounts, so the rating is always good.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-03-2017, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural scribe View Post
I ran across some Ebay sites the last couple of days selling LG OLED 4K 3D TVs for a lot less than the usual price, as low as $720 for a "new" LG OLED55C6P.

I decided not to buy because several people selling this same model for unusually low prices all just happened to become new Ebay sellers on the same day, yesterday, March 24, and they aren't selling any other products, just the one TV.

It sounded too good to be true.

I've gotten a bit skittish about buying LG TVs online after contacting scammers on Amazon.com, also allegedly selling LG OLED 4K 3D TVs, where they try to use email to redirect you to what may be a phony Amazon site and insist the item be bought using gift cards.

The last time I saw this kind of listing, I contacted Amazon about it.
I've purchased 2 LG TV's off eBay within the last year. Most recent was like 3 weeks ago. Never had any issues. I bought an LG E6 and the price was like $800-900 less than the big box retailers and Amazon. Both TV's were from the same seller.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-06-2017, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I purchased my oled55e6p from iElectrica on ebay on Monday. Got it Wednesday (yesterday). Looks to be in perfect condition. I got it for 1799. I plan to price match and get almost 500 back off that on my credit card. I don't think I could've gotten a better deal elsewhere... They are one seller whose 100% feedback seems to be deserved.

I have seen some popping up recently for a lot less than that. Individual sales with sellers that have no feedback history. I didn't even bother trying, they're obvious scams.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-29-2017, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista View Post
I purchased my oled55e6p from iElectrica on ebay on Monday. Got it Wednesday (yesterday). Looks to be in perfect condition. I got it for 1799. I plan to price match and get almost 500 back off that on my credit card. I don't think I could've gotten a better deal elsewhere... They are one seller whose 100% feedback seems to be deserved.

I have seen some popping up recently for a lot less than that. Individual sales with sellers that have no feedback history. I didn't even bother trying, they're obvious scams.
That sounds about right to me. I've been pricing these things for months now and it is very hard to find one in the $1,000 range (55-inch). So when I see one for $500-$800 from a brand-new first-time seller with no feedback at all, it just looks too suspicious.

I'm still looking. Maybe I can grab one of those no-shipping "local pickup" deals the next time I am out on the West Coast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page