Any chance LG brings back 3D? Or should I buy a 2016 OLED while I can? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tomtastic
  • 1 Post By Supermans

post #1 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Any chance LG brings back 3D? Or should I buy a 2016 OLED while I can?

Title pretty much says it all. 3D may be on life support, but as far as I can tell cinemas are still showing 3D movies, which means there's a chance those films will be released in 3D either on blu ray or streaming *fingers crossed*

There's still a ton of 3D movies out there that aren't in my collection anyway and I looooooove 3D. So should I take the dive and buy a 65" E6/C6? I have the 55" C6 and love it but it's not big enough for my liking to be in the living room (right now that spot is reserved for a 60" Samsung plasma).

So thoughts opinions? Wait a while or forever hold my peace?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveybirdman15 View Post
Title pretty much says it all. 3D may be on life support, but as far as I can tell cinemas are still showing 3D movies, which means there's a chance those films will be released in 3D either on blu ray or streaming *fingers crossed*

There's still a ton of 3D movies out there that aren't in my collection anyway and I looooooove 3D. So should I take the dive and buy a 65" E6/C6? I have the 55" C6 and love it but it's not big enough for my liking to be in the living room (right now that spot is reserved for a 60" Samsung plasma).

So thoughts opinions? Wait a while or forever hold my peace?
It seems that 'everyone' in 2017 is ditching 3D which makes no sense to me given how it's still a big thing in the cinema.

In any case is 3D is important to you I would try to snag a 2016 OLED while the prices are low and availability is relatively high.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-10-2017, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 394
It's difficult to see 3D coming back to flat panels, especially since all the marketing these days is 4K/HDR, and 3D is "only" 1080P/SDR, with no roadmap forward. Glasses-free 3D could re-invigorate the consumer 3D market, but that isn't coming anytime soon.

post #4 of 23 Old 05-10-2017, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 161
OLED or not, you will need to buy a 2016 LG to get 3D. Some still around, but going fast.
post #5 of 23 Old 05-10-2017, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 81
3D TV is dead......No TV manufacturer is supporting 3D TV's in their 2017 models.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-10-2017, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Panasonic has some 3d capable 2017 models still.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-10-2017, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Thanks y'all. "Buy soon or forever hold my peace" it is.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-08-2017, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
For what it's worth... there is a petition to LG to bring back 3D on their OLED models. I signed it: https://www.change.org/p/lg-please-r...-oled-tv-model

post #9 of 23 Old 08-09-2017, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I checked Best Buy again and I it doesn't seem that I can order a 3D TV any longer, not that I have it in the budget right now I was hoping early next year there would still be some but I do not think so. The OLED models which is all they have left are over 250 miles away and they will not ship them. So that just leaves Amazon and other online places and those are going fast too.

Panasonic does not sell displays in the US, those 3D models are for Europe and a few other places so there are really no 3D TV models left on the market.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-10-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I checked Best Buy again and I it doesn't seem that I can order a 3D TV any longer, not that I have it in the budget right now I was hoping early next year there would still be some but I do not think so. The OLED models which is all they have left are over 250 miles away and they will not ship them. So that just leaves Amazon and other online places and those are going fast too.

Panasonic does not sell displays in the US, those 3D models are for Europe and a few other places so there are really no 3D TV models left on the market.
You can order one online only if the 2016 set is available inside of the 250 mile radius of the zip code you enter for the store. I was lucky enough to purchase one of the last OLED65G6P's last week when it went on its first sale and have been blessed with amazing 3D ever since. I was very blessed to get a panel that has perfect 3D filter in place which is a panel lottery issue with all 2016's. I am also blessed that there is only one very faint panel noise bar that is not visible at all during normal viewing however almost all LG OLED's suffer from that issue to some degree. I do recommend trying a zip code for a store 500 miles away and then get it shipped site to store if it is available. You can also call each store separately that are farther than 250 miles away and ask them to search their inventory. You may get lucky. Good luck..
post #11 of 23 Old 08-10-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
You can order one online only if the 2016 set is available inside of the 250 mile radius of the zip code you enter for the store.
Yeah, that's what I said. Not possible to get one if they're over 250 miles away so Amazon or something else online, eBay has a few new listings. Basically posting this as this is now the beginning of the end for 2016 displays. I do not think there will be any left next year, other than returns or used models.

post #12 of 23 Old 08-10-2017, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do recommend trying a zip code for a store 500 miles away and then get it shipped site to store if it is available. You can also call each store separately that are farther than 250 miles away and ask them to search their inventory. You may get lucky. Good luck..
Have you ever gone into Best Buy and asked them about an older TV model they don't have in stock? If it isn't in the store they just give you a blank stare. They fumble around on their computer for a bit and just say they don't have it. Online order won't let you purchase it so only way would be to drive to the store that had it in stock, but you can order online other places still so they can still be had but BB is pretty much out of 3D tv's unless you happen to be in a place that has a few left in stock. And BB is pretty much the lone store front where you could pick up in person.
GordonTV likes this.

post #13 of 23 Old 08-11-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 373
There is OLED55E6P in Orange Park, FL store for $2699 Pick it up today. It's in their Magnolia room, open box. Actually, it has to be packed up so they won't make it available today. Delivery to my address on the 16th. Don't need it and too pricey for me or I would go down there and pick it up for the edit room. If you see a 65" let me know. I would have room for that in my home theater room. I'd need to tear down my betacam and DVCAM edit wall
here though to have a place to mount a 55". Just no room here otherwise.

Hope you and yours are all safe from the tornadoes, Tom. I was thinking of you when I saw the news. We were in Kansas City end of July on our return from Alaska.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #14 of 23 Old 08-11-2017, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
There is OLED55E6P in Orange Park, FL store for $2699 Pick it up today. It's in their Magnolia room, open box. Actually, it has to be packed up so they won't make it available today. Delivery to my address on the 16th. Don't need it and too pricey for me or I would go down there and pick it up for the edit room. If you see a 65" let me know. I would have room for that in my home theater room. I'd need to tear down my betacam and DVCAM edit wall
here though to have a place to mount a 55". Just no room here otherwise.

Hope you and yours are all safe from the tornadoes, Tom. I was thinking of you when I saw the news. We were in Kansas City end of July on our return from Alaska.
Yeah, still here. We never get hit here in town, inside town seems they seem to veer off to the east when they come up from the south. Last big one was in '91 I guess an F5 but it did the same thing and went east, still did a lot of damage but at least not thru middle of town. Smaller towns like Greensburg that got hit about ten years ago, nearly totally destroyed.

I keep checking Craigslist for used models just to see if any pop up but nothing so far. For use with edit station, you'll want small as possible. I like my 49" 2014 model because of where it is and not a lot of room.

I see that OLED55E6P on amazon for about 2K. The 65" you can get the C6 curved for about 3K but the flat version is 4500 G6 signature model. The 65" non OLED models seem to be gone on amazon now, I checked about a month ago and they still had some. Had to replace AC system this year so that took up my play money Would have bought one already this year.

post #15 of 23 Old 08-11-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Tom, I can't use a curved screen since I would need to wall mount behind a roll down screen in the HT. I saw it listed but could not get price on the curved since BB said it was located more than 250 miles from me. Not sure why that should matter. The 55" one in OP,FL is only 20 miles from here. The local BB store in town had one ( 55") on a game display kiosk but the salesman said it could not be sold. I could get away with the 55" in the edit room if I tore out the old beta edit work center. I really haven't used it in years but just too lazy to rip out all that hardware and wiring. 4 betacam SP decks, a DVCAM deck, a DVCPRO deck, 3/4 Umatic deck, and a Hi8 deck. All industrial stuff. I guess I keep it to remind me how difficult video editing was 20 years ago.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #16 of 23 Old 08-11-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

On a 55" you'll probably want about 7' distance from it at least a little more would be even better. I've got space limitation down here where my edit machine is at back of theater room so any bigger wouldn't work for me.

I looked at mini DV decks way back and decided they were way too expensive so I just ordered another DV cam for capture, my Canon DV camera would eat tapes in VCR mode so I just went the cheaper route and picked up another camera. Speaking of old hardware about 5 years ago I picked up a couple of laser recorders sort of like betacam but on a 12 laserdisc caddy just to play with, they had two lasers and could record and play at same time, it was the best linear editing machine of its time, I believe they were used for instant replay in sports studios. The disc held 32mins analog CAV recording with digital stereo. I should probably haul them off to scrap but can't bring myself to do it. They were something like 50k when new. Will probably harvest some of the connectors on back first, XLR inputs and BNCs.

post #17 of 23 Old 08-14-2017, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicronic View Post
It seems that 'everyone' in 2017 is ditching 3D which makes no sense to me given how it's still a big thing in the cinema.

In any case is 3D is important to you I would try to snag a 2016 OLED while the prices are low and availability is relatively high.
Having owned now the superb 2016 LG OLED 65G6P for over a week now, I have to say if you can find one to order it before it dissapears forever if you want the best available passive 3D. If active 3D glasses don't bother you, then you can still get Sony's excellent Z9D series which looks great if you sit directly in front of it. I just can't stand the flicker in 3D the shutter glasses produce which is why I chose the passive G6P. Currently the price for these two 65 versions are about the same so it is at least a couple options for 3D lovers out there.
cky2354 likes this.

OLED65G6P(last US 3D OLED), PN64F8500(last Plasma), HLR5087W(Kirk Model Pedestal DLP)
post #18 of 23 Old 08-17-2017, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I actually lucked out and just found a 77" OLEDG6P, which up until a week ago was still available from Best Buy's website. I took a chance that there might be some back stock somewhere and they found some at a Magnolia Design Center in KC. The 77" model is the one I always wanted but it was always too expensive and my local store (not BB) did not offer it in their inventory for the longest time. With the recent price cuts on the model now that it is officially discontinued, I was able to get it for a far more reasonable price that is more in line with my expectations for a TV of this size (coming from an 88" JS9500, which I returned due to issues, I just couldn't justify paying $20k for a sub-80" TV). Having seen the 3D on my 65" E6, I am really eager to revisit a ton of 3D content that I've accumulated over the years (TV comes next week!). I absolutely hate the atmosphere surrounding 3D these days though (looking at you Warner and Fox with your 3D releases which are more expensive than 4K and lack Atmos support...), so here's hoping that discs will continue to be released in some capacity.

My HT Gear:
TV - LG OLED 77" G6P
Receiver: DENON X7200WA AMPS: Emotiva XPA-5, XPA-2, XPA-1 (x2)
Fronts: Klipsch RF-7 ii Center: Klipsch RC-64 ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-62 ii Surround Backs: RB-81 ii
Sub: SVS PC13-Ultra Ceiling: CDT-5800-c ii
post #19 of 23 Old 08-18-2017, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualEdge View Post
I actually lucked out and just found a 77" OLEDG6P, which up until a week ago was still available from Best Buy's website. I took a chance that there might be some back stock somewhere and they found some at a Magnolia Design Center in KC. The 77" model is the one I always wanted but it was always too expensive and my local store (not BB) did not offer it in their inventory for the longest time. With the recent price cuts on the model now that it is officially discontinued, I was able to get it for a far more reasonable price that is more in line with my expectations for a TV of this size (coming from an 88" JS9500, which I returned due to issues, I just couldn't justify paying $20k for a sub-80" TV). Having seen the 3D on my 65" E6, I am really eager to revisit a ton of 3D content that I've accumulated over the years (TV comes next week!). I absolutely hate the atmosphere surrounding 3D these days though (looking at you Warner and Fox with your 3D releases which are more expensive than 4K and lack Atmos support...), so here's hoping that discs will continue to be released in some capacity.
Wow... that's just awesome. If you don't mind, what did you end up paying for the 77" Oled? I wish I could buy that but will be happy and content with my 65". I just have to sit closer to get the same perspective as 77" though. You bought my dream TV... haha. Nice that you could find it. I don't see any online or any at retail stores for this model. Actually.. all 2016 models are thinning out. Crutchfield had couple but they are no longer available. And prices on ebay are going up and none available on Amazon either now. I think the supply has almost dried up. Still drooling over what 77" might be like. I hope and pray that LG will someday bring 3D back to their beloved Oleds.
post #20 of 23 Old 08-24-2017, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Congratulations on your 77G6P purchase. My 65G6P is awesome. I too got mine on a heavy discount when it was almost impossible to find.

In regards to content, I have to say that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is one of the best 3D presentations if not second best behind Avatar in my opinion. Looks great on the G6's and the rest of the LG 2016 line that has 3D. My wife who never really liked 3D was amazed at how awesome it looked. It is ashamed it is not in the 2017 sets since I do believe that if more people get to see it in its final 2016 OLED form, and wasn't directly competing against Ultra UHD but simply always bundled together both platforms would compliment each other and both niche products would get closer to being the standard. This didn't get a chance to happen and now we are left behind until the next resurgence.

I do believe 3D will make a comeback. However it will take an Avatar 2 perhaps to make that happen and by then 8K sets will be the new hotness. I am hopeful, but until then I will be buying up whatever 3D comes out.

OLED65G6P(last US 3D OLED), PN64F8500(last Plasma), HLR5087W(Kirk Model Pedestal DLP)
post #21 of 23 Old 08-24-2017, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You can forget about 3D for at least 3 or 4 years, until James Cameron makes Avatar 2 and again brings back the 3D TV's, but maybe this time, as he pretends, without any kind of glasses and with high framerates

As for buy a OLED E6... I'd buy it asap if i were you, the 3D is insanely good, of course there's still crosstalk and it will be there always on some scenes, but jesus christ, what depth, it's perfect, Guardians of the Galaxy on 3D is...
post #22 of 23 Old 08-24-2017, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Congratulations on your 77G6P purchase. My 65G6P is awesome. I too got mine on a heavy discount when it was almost impossible to find.

In regards to content, I have to say that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is one of the best 3D presentations if not second best behind Avatar in my opinion. Looks great on the G6's and the rest of the LG 2016 line that has 3D. My wife who never really liked 3D was amazed at how awesome it looked. It is ashamed it is not in the 2017 sets since I do believe that if more people get to see it in its final 2016 OLED form, and wasn't directly competing against Ultra UHD but simply always bundled together both platforms would compliment each other and both niche products would get closer to being the standard. This didn't get a chance to happen and now we are left behind until the next resurgence.

I do believe 3D will make a comeback. However it will take an Avatar 2 perhaps to make that happen and by then 8K sets will be the new hotness. I am hopeful, but until then I will be buying up whatever 3D comes out.

Thanks! So far, I'm loving it but I haven't had much of a chance to check out its main features (namely 3D and 4K). Took delivery of it on Monday (during the eclipse no less!) and I was very surprised how much bigger it is in person compared to my "old" 65" E6. I had done mock measurements while waiting for it to arrive but the actual product just seems much bigger, which is great. What I have watched on it though, which is namely broadcast TV, looks great despite the extra size making the usual compression that much more noticeable. In any case, I plan to dig into 3D and 4K this weekend. I have GotG2 3D and King Arthur 3D arriving tonight, so I'll likely check those out this weekend along with Kong Skull Island 3D. Particularly curious about GotG2 based on all the high praise around here. I saw it in IMAX 3D initially and remember the image quality was very sharp and detailed, so I'm curious how it will look on the new 77".

My HT Gear:
TV - LG OLED 77" G6P
Receiver: DENON X7200WA AMPS: Emotiva XPA-5, XPA-2, XPA-1 (x2)
Fronts: Klipsch RF-7 ii Center: Klipsch RC-64 ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-62 ii Surround Backs: RB-81 ii
Sub: SVS PC13-Ultra Ceiling: CDT-5800-c ii
post #23 of 23 Old 08-25-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! So far, I'm loving it but I haven't had much of a chance to check out its main features (namely 3D and 4K). Took delivery of it on Monday (during the eclipse no less!) and I was very surprised how much bigger it is in person compared to my "old" 65" E6. I had done mock measurements while waiting for it to arrive but the actual product just seems much bigger, which is great. What I have watched on it though, which is namely broadcast TV, looks great despite the extra size making the usual compression that much more noticeable. In any case, I plan to dig into 3D and 4K this weekend. I have GotG2 3D and King Arthur 3D arriving tonight, so I'll likely check those out this weekend along with Kong Skull Island 3D. Particularly curious about GotG2 based on all the high praise around here. I saw it in IMAX 3D initially and remember the image quality was very sharp and detailed, so I'm curious how it will look on the new 77".
Just remember that you need to be roughly eye level and between a certain distance for the 3D to come out perfect. Sitting on the floor and looking up will cause the top of the screen to not match up. You will be very impressed with Avatar, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2., Life of Pi and Tron along with all the IMAX 3D shows. Cirque de Soliel "O" 3D bluray is also very good. I also discovered that the Real 3D galsses you get at the movies does a better job than the ones LG places for you. Overall I envy you for having the 77 inch, it is going to be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page