I am having 3d connectivity issues with my viewsonic pjd6543w projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2017, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am having 3d connectivity issues with my viewsonic pjd6543w projector

Hello,

I'm not sure what's going on. I've successfully watched 3d movies before on it. I'm using a sony bluray 3d player with a high speed hdmi cable. As mentioned it worked before on this very projector. However after I connected a pc via composite video awhile back I haven't been able to get the 3d working again with the bluray player (separate physical player - I mention the pc because that was used ok and then i tried to go back to the bluray 3d player and nothing - it may be a coincedence).

What is unusual is that in the menu bar on the bottom of the menu screen it says "dvi-d" while the hdmi signal is output from the bluray player. Though I've confirmed multiple times that the menu status clearly shows "hdmi" is the active source. What's stranger still is that the screen goes black after the startup splash screen starts.

I have confirmed that the bluray player and the hdmi cable are in good working order. I have a sony playstation 3d monitor that works perfectly with the bluray player and hdmi cable and my official copy of captain america civil war 3d that im currently using as my test disc.

The stranger thing is that i can use the projector in 2d but only when i connect to it via a 4 way hdmi switch. It claims to be 3d compatible (the switch) but I get a "the display is not 3d compatible" message even though my input and ouptut cables to and from the switch are 1.4 hdmi cables. When I switch back to straight from bluray player to projector with the confirmed configuration that worked on the pstv it does the same thing of going black after the startup screen is shown.

I do have a ps3 but i can't get it to display directly. I have to go through the 4 port switch but that leads to 2d only display.

I'm really not sure what to do. Clearly the sony (non ps3) bluray player works in 3d as shown by my successful test on the pstv monitor. It should just work again when plugged in with that cable directly to the projector.

Am I missing something terribly obvious? I think my methodology is ok here as far as eliminating weak links. And clearly the projector works since I can watch in 2d via work arounds or via analog.

Thank you for your assistance. (fyi the projector is viewsonic pdj6543w and was bought second hand but only has 650 hours on the lamp - rated for 4000 max i think).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-05-2017, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlpreston View Post
What is unusual is that in the menu bar on the bottom of the menu screen it says "dvi-d" while the hdmi signal is output from the bluray player.
This mismatch is your problem. I would call Viewsonic tech support and describe what you did and the result now. Your projector is clearly "sensing" a dvi-d cable signal from the bluray player. Does your projector have a dvi-d input? If so, look deeper into the projector menu for a forced input selection that needs to be changed. If all else fails, try to get a firmware update from tech support. That's my theory, anyway.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-05-2017, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Forgot to add. Check your bluray player for output--probably set to auto. Change that to force 1080p or vice versa. Also see what the color settings, etc. are, and reset them to auto, or change if set on auto. Could be a setting that the projector does not recognize like deep color, etc. Reset everything back to basic. Check your bluray manual for that.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-06-2017, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

@3DBob - thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately i didnt see firmware for the projecto.

I have reset the bluray a few times and i have unplugged both the player and the projector for a power cycle session session, no luck.

I didnt mention the projector accepts 1080p but outputs to wh5st it calls wxga. Its a hybrid 720p resolution, cant remember the exact res right now. I have set yhd bluray player player to 720p manually on an actual tv but it didn't make a difference.

I have reset the player and projector to no avail. However i dont think ive turned every setting off on the bluray player. It does do thd deep color and lots of stuff. I have turned a few off but not everyone.

I will try to research the dvi-d mismatch more closely. I
Cant seem to get any hdmi submenu on the projector. I wish the projector had a physical reset button as the software reset hasnt done anything.

Thanks for responding.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-07-2017, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmm, since your projector does not have a dvi-d input--I looked, the issue is somewhere else. You might try hooking up the projector to your PC through an hdmi cable if the PC has that output. That might force something back to working. What specific bluray player are you using?
post #6 of 7 Old 06-09-2017, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for checking. It's a sony s5200. I've also tried a ps3. The weird thing is both have worked in 3d before on the projector.

The projector does have a lan port and a usb connector that I can try (though the usb connector is the old large port prior to the micro standard) The manual has a chart of some "values" for each setting. However it's kind of an alien language to me. I'm not sure if its suggesting they are editable or resetable. At this point though I"m willing to try anything.

I have a long weekend this weekend so I may just do that and report back what happens.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-12-2017, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Earl, have you talked to their tech support? While there might not be a new firmware release, they might be able to send you the original firmware that could be loaded through the usb port or serial port with their help. Or they might even entertain you sending back to them to see what's wrong--or simply invest in a new 3D projector. They are really getting cheap now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page