Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-25-2017, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
DLP 3D vs JVC

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can chime in with their experience here. I have a JVC RS49. Upgrading from an JVC X3 the 3D performance on this was spectacular and I now love watching 3D at home.

I recently got an LG OLED and am also enjoying flicker free passive 3D on that. Which got me to thinking how to improve 3D on my projection setup.

I know that DLP runs flicker and cross talk free 3D due to 144mhz sync so was thinking of purchasing a cheap Optoma and put it up on the shelf next to the JVC. One PJ for 3D one for 2D.

My question is - behind the glasses do you notice the poor black levels of these cheap DLPs? One of the reasons I prefer 3D at home on the JVC is because it blows away black levels in commercial theatres (exception for IMAX Laser, that's spectacular).

The lumen rating on DLP sounds spectacular - but I believe that's only for white. Does that translate to a much brighter 3D experience in real world viewing?

Anyone been able to compare a JVC's 3D vs DLP?

Thanks for any responses! Big 3D fan and hoping the new 4k generation continue to supply us with stereoscopic greatness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-25-2017, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
First, there are only a few companies making 3D viewable 4k TVs, and they are hard to find. All major companies stopped including 3D after 2016 models. Also, there are no 4K DLP projectors that have 3D activated, so that's a killer right there. There are a few good DLPs for 3D out that with lot of lumens, best to read the reviews at projectorcentral or Amazon. Do they have great blacks--no. Is it annoying? Not really to me. If your 3D is already great on you JVC, why change? Yes DLPs are crosstalk free, but don't expect the image to be that much better than what you are seeing now.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-25-2017, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I've been playing around with the JVC and measuring brightness (see my post on it today). Turns out when you change Crosstalk Cancellation to +8 the image is bright enough for me after the glasses as my 2D target of 12fl (I sit very close to the screen).

However, because my screen doesn't maintain polarisation when the image is reflected back it's actually only half as bright as my 2D image.

I'm banking on DLP being as bright as my JVC in 2D, but with no flicker and cross talk. The poor blacks could kill it though. Although I do enjoy watching animations and documentaries, which the blacks are less important. With this type of content, especially IMAX documentaries the JVC does a really poor job so I use my LG OLED which is spectacular.

I was hoping someone could guide me on the Optoma 142x. It's a data projector at heart so it only has 3000 lumens for white, does that mess with the 3D picture? At how cheap it is, I'd love it to fit the bill and run a dual setup.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-25-2017, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxp91 View Post

I was hoping someone could guide me on the Optoma 142x. It's a data projector at heart so it only has 3000 lumens for white, does that mess with the 3D picture? At how cheap it is, I'd love it to fit the bill and run a dual setup.
I recently upgraded and was going to buy the 142x, which is getting good reviews, but I bought the new Optoma 29DARBEE. It has about the same lumens but with a builtin processor that makes the image a lot sharper and clearer--my opinion. Blacks are good enough, but not a deep black. I think for the cost the 142x would be excellent and when you see the 3D image it will make your day. Typically, you need to watch 3D in bright mode, vs. Eco mode. I watch normal TV in ECO and 3D in bright. I also chose Video Gamma as it add detail in the shadows, but does sacrifice some black.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-25-2017, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have a 3D-capable Epson and an LG OLED. No projector at present can get anywhere close to the quality of that 3D OLED image. You'd best just accept the trade-off in picture size as the compensation for the lesser quality. The LG OLED 3D is beyond description.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-26-2017, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

The LG implementation is spectacular. Although the screen size has a big impact. I watched a few clips of Trons IMAX scenes and they lacked the impact of a JVC with its bigger picture and great Black's.

But for anything bright like nature I like the LG.

After reading here I think I'll try a DLP once my bass transducer is settled. Good thing is due to the popularity I can easily return on Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 Old 07-26-2017, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Black levels of the DLP get better during 3D playback due to the dark glasses.
I haven't compared both but I would say that the 3d image on the DLP is pretty hard to beat.
If only they would give us 4K 3D. /cry

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page