Thinking about upgrading to OLED - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-04-2017, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thinking about upgrading to OLED

I've had a Samsung LED with active 3D for 3 years which still works great and I'm satisfied with but I recently saw a pretty good deal locally for the LG OLED55E6P. I'm afraid that model won't be around for much longer so should I pull the trigger now?

I don't necessarily need a new tv right now but I've built a sizeable collection of 3D movies which I enjoy so if something were to happen to my tv in 1-2 years, I could be in trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-04-2017, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I'm in the same boat. I have a wonderful TV in the 60" Panasonic VT60. It has 3D and I too am afraid it's not going to make a comeback and want to get the 65" C6.

My 3D collection isn't too sizeable. Maybe a dozen titles? But still fear losing 3D once I go 4K. What to do, what to do...

Panasonic TC-P60VT60 Plasma • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray Player • Apple TV 4 • Yamaha RX‑A1050 AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 Speaker System
post #3 of 8 Old 07-05-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Yeah, they will probably be gone not too much longer, but with so many complaints about crosstalk on the OLED displays I wonder if it would be better to go with regular LED, unless you can test them first.

Would be interesting to see how the OLED stacks up with the regular LG LED. Anyone have both???

This line intentionally left blank.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-05-2017, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sucks that TV manufacturers are stopping support for 3D, I had an LG with passive 3D and loved it. I currently own an optoma with 3D and while the quality is good the active 3d glasses are a pain in the butt. Thinking about getting a C6 OLED but not sure if it's worth it.....
post #5 of 8 Old 07-06-2017, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbg1 View Post
I've had a Samsung LED with active 3D for 3 years which still works great and I'm satisfied with but I recently saw a pretty good deal locally for the LG OLED55E6P. I'm afraid that model won't be around for much longer so should I pull the trigger now?

I don't necessarily need a new tv right now but I've built a sizeable collection of 3D movies which I enjoy so if something were to happen to my tv in 1-2 years, I could be in trouble.
I have had the 55E6P since February and love it. The 3D on it is pristine. I hated 3D until I got this set.

You can go as far wide right or left and see no crosstalk. Vertically, you'll want to be somewhere within the height of the TV to avoid crosstalk (this isn't hard). Unless you're sitting on the floor directly in front of and looking up at the TV, or mounting it above a fireplace, you should be fine.

The absolute black of the OLED adds an additional layer of depth too. Get it, you won't regret it. It's an upgrade all-around from your current set, not just for 3D.

OLED55E6P 609, XB1S, Comcast, Roku 2 (4210 build)
post #6 of 8 Old 07-07-2017, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttpalmer View Post
I have had the 55E6P since February and love it. The 3D on it is pristine. I hated 3D until I got this set.

You can go as far wide right or left and see no crosstalk. Vertically, you'll want to be somewhere within the height of the TV to avoid crosstalk (this isn't hard). Unless you're sitting on the floor directly in front of and looking up at the TV, or mounting it above a fireplace, you should be fine.

The absolute black of the OLED adds an additional layer of depth too. Get it, you won't regret it. It's an upgrade all-around from your current set, not just for 3D.
TV has been purchased. Will receive it tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out!
post #7 of 8 Old 07-07-2017, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbg1 View Post
TV has been purchased. Will receive it tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out!
Congrats!

OLED55E6P 609, XB1S, Comcast, Roku 2 (4210 build)
post #8 of 8 Old 07-11-2017, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Had this same thought as I saw a deal on the 65E6P today. Is that likely the last "good" 3D TV?

I'm perfectly happy with my Samsung plasma, but my wife likes 3D content and we have quite a bit of it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page