How to output 3D *.MTS-videos from my Macbook to a 3D headset? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-27-2017, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How to output 3D *.MTS-videos from my Macbook to a 3D headset?

I was not sure whether to ask in the Display or Source forum. Mod please move if wrong here.

I've got many *.MTS 3D video files captured with a Sony HDR-TD20 3D camcorder, now stored on my mid-2012 15" Macbook Pro.

How can I output these onto a kind of 3D headset connected to the Macbook?

Or somehow onto an iPhone 6S+ mounted with a VR kit? But I guess for quality reasons a 3D headset would be preferable.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Falk Kuebler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-28-2017, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 52
is there any sort of 3d playback software on mac os?
post #3 of 10 Old 07-28-2017, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post
is there any sort of 3d playback software on mac os?
Unexpectedly I didn't find any in the Apple store, except for one (https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/3d-p...19307288?mt=12) which is 3 years old, costs 10 USD and has only one horrible user rating...

I've also asked in an old Sony 3D camcorder thread (3D MTS files from a Sony HDR-TD10) but not yet got an answer.

3D apparently has nearly no support anymore, which I find much of a pity, looking at my family archive...

Falk Kuebler

post #4 of 10 Old 07-28-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I responded to your other post. Yes, there is Bino. It's free. You will have to see if it will detect the 3D type first. You have to select 3D type and then output type. I think the MTS files are MVC type 3D on the Sony?

Personally, I encode everything to top/bottom and either use VLC or from my Plex home theater.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-28-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuebler View Post
Unexpectedly I didn't find any in the Apple store, except for one (https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/3d-p...19307288?mt=12) which is 3 years old, costs 10 USD and has only one horrible user rating...

I've also asked in an old Sony 3D camcorder thread (3D MTS files from a Sony HDR-TD10) but not yet got an answer.

3D apparently has nearly no support anymore, which I find much of a pity, looking at my family archive...
Falk, You will probably need to get some kind of Android or Windows device to do what you want. That said, I watch my .MTS 3D files on my 60" LG TV with passive 3D and they look great--I just load them to a USB, plug into the TV and select them in the input section. Do you have a 3D monitor or TV? Almost all TV manufacturers have stopped including 3D in their TVs after 2016, so that should tell you where consumer 3D is headed. You can find Android devices (such as a Samsung S series cellphone) that have apps for 3D VR headsets, but I think your .MTS files will still be a problem as they will probably need to be converted to another format. I also watch my .MTS 3D on my 27" 3D monitor using PowerDVD and that works, but other software does not work.

Here's an example phone app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...anelx.vrplayer

Note that in the READ MORE details it says--and I quote:

"For the list of compatible video formats, see: http://developer.android.com/guide/a...a-formats.html
Note: If your videos are not compatible, you can re-encode using any video transcoding software like HandBrake (http://handbrake.fr/). For some devices, mp4 in h264 format only support baseline profile."

Good luck, but Apple/Mac is probably not the way to go here.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-28-2017, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Many thanks, tomtastic and Bob, for answering.

Meanwhile I tested Bino for playing the MTS videos on my Macbook, but unfortunately it didn't and gave an error message like "picture size in channel 2 is wrong". But I had also found 5KPlayer (https://www.5kplayer.com) which could play the files. For some minutes I managed even to send that via an AppleDisplayPort->HDMI adapter to my LG 3D TV, and it appeared to be real 3D. But unfortunately the adapter broke somehow, so I could not and cannot conduct extensive tests.

Your remark, Bob, made me try the MTS via a USB stick plugged into the LG TV, and it ran fine in 3D.

But overall I have to agree to your pessimistic remark:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Good luck, but Apple/Mac is probably not the way to go here.
You're probably very right, but I don't want to move to Android and Windows (from which I came 12 years ago).

Through all todays failures I'm somewhat disappointed and exhausted, so I feel tempted to let my family video archive be again just that: an archive to which I don't come back for the next couple of years. But of course this runs the risk that at some time no software will recognize MTS files anymore...

I could try to become a hero and take handbrake (with which I feel reasonably familiar) for converting everything to an mp4 file, e.g. with 3840x1080 SBS. But will that be still recognized in 10 years?

Difficult matter...

Falk Kuebler

Last edited by kuebler; 07-28-2017 at 11:04 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-28-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
3D is not Mac friendly. You can't play the raw 3D files from the camera which is what I gather you're trying to do and you cannot edit the files in Mac. I am a Mac user but I realize that Windows is a must for 3D. I have no problem playing back 3D files that I film from any of my Macs but you really must look at getting an edit station setup for editing. That way you can put something together that can be played back on anything, including a Mac. I would use side by side or top/bottom format.

You can dump onto USB stick like you did, that's one option but if you want to have access to everything you really should look at a new setup for editing the files. I do this on a Mac too, I use Bootcamp and Win8, and Vegas Pro and Power Director are the NLE tools. I've seen many posts on here where folks don't want to edit but that really isn't the best approach.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-28-2017, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I can very well see your points, but I'm not yet ready for doing any sort of editing. Editing is simply too unfamiliar for me, and combined with the enormous volume of videos makes it a NoGo at least for the next year or more.

So I was searching for getting a reasonably comfortable access to the unedited existing takes. I accept that there isn't such a thing...

BTW I'm not hostile toward windows (I even use Parallels 12 for rare usage of apps not found in macOS), but I've become quite unfamiliar with windows.

Falk Kuebler
post #9 of 10 Old 07-29-2017, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried the gear vr with some old video files from an HTC Evo 3d and it played just fine with their built in video app. I would imagine google cardboard with an old phone should work just fine. Maybe if you ask around someone has an old android phone they aren't using anymore. For ten bucks (cost of a google cardboard) you could have a 3d photo album viewer on your coffee table.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 Old 07-29-2017, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_knox View Post
I tried the gear vr with some old video files from an HTC Evo 3d and it played just fine with their built in video app.
Interesting what was possible 6 years ago. What a pity, that the mainstream didn't like it sufficiently well...

Quote:
For ten bucks (cost of a google cardboard) you could have a 3d photo album viewer on your coffee table.
Just for playing around I have ordered such a cardboard.

But this all doesn't solve my problem, that there appears to be no easy way to access my unedited MTS takes...

Falk Kuebler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page