Passive 3D on 4K displays - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-07-2017, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Passive 3D on 4K displays

I've owned a few 3D TVs over the past few years and currently own two 2016 LG Passive 3D 4K TVs. I just wanted to make a thread expressing how impressed I am with how much better passive 3D looks on a 4K screen than it did on the 1080P screens i've viewed in the past. Massive difference. No longer does it seem like the image quality is degraded and on the upscaled 4K screen the 1080P 3D content looks even more crisp than a standard 1080P Blu Ray. For those of you that have yet to watch a 3D movie on a nice 4K screen I highly recommend it...as 3D appears to slowly be dying it's sad to see it in such a good state that so few people will get to enjoy as there are very few 3D 4K screens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-07-2017, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I assume the same can be said for active 3D on a 4k display. Except active is still referenced to crosstalk. I think that was eliminated years ago and those with crosstalk problems these days are pretty cheap displays hardly comparable to expensive OLED's. It's like paring a bicycle with a Ferrari at the drag strip. My active display has no crosstalk at all. None. "Some active 3D TVs deal with it better than others, but passive 3D TVs are virtually crosstalk-free." I guess my two year old JS8500 panel deals with it better yet it's no Ferrari. I think using the crosstalk downplay these days is fake news to further enhance the OLED pump, plagued with other serious problems manufactures do not acknowledge nor warranty.

https://www.cnet.com/news/4k-tvs-wit...-those-pixels/

"When a 4K resolution TV uses passive 3D, however, the extra pixels play a much more obvious role. You still lose half the vertical resolution, but since there are so many more pixels, you can afford to lose it." This fact says it all. Can you afford to see alternating lines of vertical black pixels up close or on large screens?

Active delivers full resolution to each eye. Passive delivers half resolution to each eye. It's a step up from 1080p displays for passive because there's so many more pixels to help enhance the halved resolution with 4k but it's still halved.

I don't think one is more superior than the other except when it comes to resolution, my personal largest factor.
Active downplays of note are:
Crosstalk would be a huge factor if it actually existed for me.
Motion would be another but luckily interpolation settings eliminate it for me and I prefer SOE even if motion didn't benefit from using it. I'd be curious to know if OLED passive displays news tickers judder or not? You know, the headlines or tickertapes scrolling the bottom of the screen are either smooth as butter or skipping like a machine gun at times.
Comfort from flickering in the glasses. I guess I'm not sensitive. I've never experienced it much less got a headache because if it. Not to say somebody else might not.
Batteries. They only last about 20 titles and cost me about a quarter to replace. Snapping new ones in and out of the glasses might be cumbersome for somebody? USB charging glasses might also be inconvenient next to the charging cell phones too.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/3d-tv...-vs-passive-3d

I agree with the OP, Active or Passive, 3D upscale on a 4k display looks much better than the same title on a 1080p display.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-08-2017, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post
I've owned a few 3D TVs over the past few years and currently own two 2016 LG Passive 3D 4K TVs. I just wanted to make a thread expressing how impressed I am with how much better passive 3D looks on a 4K screen than it did on the 1080P screens i've viewed in the past. Massive difference. No longer does it seem like the image quality is degraded and on the upscaled 4K screen the 1080P 3D content looks even more crisp than a standard 1080P Blu Ray. For those of you that have yet to watch a 3D movie on a nice 4K screen I highly recommend it...as 3D appears to slowly be dying it's sad to see it in such a good state that so few people will get to enjoy as there are very few 3D 4K screens.
I have to say I agree 100% with this. I have been blessed to have in my opinion the two best 3D HDTV's ever made. The Samsung PN64F8500 and the LG OLED65G6P. I compared Avatar on both and the LG passive 3D on a 4K screen feels like magic. I had zero complaints before with my F8500, and never could have imagined anything better. It truly is like looking through a window with watching content filmed in 3D. To me it is way more immersive than Ultra 4K HD's color enhancements ever will be.

I already pre-ordered Guardians of the Galaxy V2 in 3D over the 4K version since that is what I watched at the movie theater. I just hope all thise 3D theater releaaes contimue to be available and sold in the UK for at least 3 more years. Why do I say that? Because I believe in 2020 there will be a resurgance in the market and a calling for 3D once more ushered in by Avatar 2. That is what it is going to take in my opinion. Until then I will enjoy something few people on the planet can appreciate.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-09-2017, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 31
3D on the 2016 LG Oled is truly Amazing! I think one has to experience it to get a true sense of how incredible it is. I must have watched about 5 movies in 3D so far and I'm more impressed by the 3D versions than the 4K UHD HDR for example Kong: SI. I only had this set for about a week so... but my $3000 was well spent. Best money spent on a HT gear since I started this Journey back in high school (1995)... and have spent probably over $50k on this hobby upgrading TVs to projectors to sound systems to get the best experience. Only way I would upgrade from what I have is a bigger Oled with 3D if LG ever brings it back in the future. Till then, I'm in 3D nirvana and have over 200 3D blu-rays to watch.

It doesn't matter how many times someone says how good 3D is on this set... you have to experience this for yourself. I think that's the reason why 3D wasn't selling... if this could have been experienced by any movie enthusiast, it would have taken off. LG could have also had monopoly on this if they just kept 3D feature in their 2017 lineup. I'm sure they are probably wondering why the 2016 models are still popular and they will be all gone soon.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-11-2017, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cky2354 View Post
3D on the 2016 LG Oled is truly Amazing! I think one has to experience it to get a true sense of how incredible it is. I must have watched about 5 movies in 3D so far and I'm more impressed by the 3D versions than the 4K UHD HDR for example Kong: SI. I only had this set for about a week so... but my $3000 was well spent. Best money spent on a HT gear since I started this Journey back in high school (1995)... and have spent probably over $50k on this hobby upgrading TVs to projectors to sound systems to get the best experience. Only way I would upgrade from what I have is a bigger Oled with 3D if LG ever brings it back in the future. Till then, I'm in 3D nirvana and have over 200 3D blu-rays to watch.

It doesn't matter how many times someone says how good 3D is on this set... you have to experience this for yourself. I think that's the reason why 3D wasn't selling... if this could have been experienced by any movie enthusiast, it would have taken off. LG could have also had monopoly on this if they just kept 3D feature in their 2017 lineup. I'm sure they are probably wondering why the 2016 models are still popular and they will be all gone soon.
I just know Avatar 2 is going to spell the return of 3D for all of us once more. Especially after hearing James Cameron say he felt he was too conservative on how much 3D pop he placed in his original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page