Video Headset review: Avegant vs. Royole X vs Sony VR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By cgott42
  • 1 Post By cgott42

post #1 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Video Headset review: Avegant vs. Royole X vs Sony VR

I recently purchased these 3 headsets and here's my "Average Joe" take:
Context - my main usage is to watch videos while in bed, and while exercising. Sometimes the wife wants to go to sleep early and I'm too awake to fall asleep. Instead of having a screen glaring, disrupting her sleep or having to leave the room and watch elsewhere, want something where we can lie down together and I can watch until I fall asleep without disturbing her. In addition, something to use while on the elliptical (at home or in the gym) - all while not sacrificing on PQ.
re: Audio - I'm not an audiophile, but to me both the Royole and Avegant had good audio, and the PS VR didn't have any audio (need to plug in your own earphones/headphones - so that's either a plus or a minus for you
Royole X I saw that these had mixed reviews on Amazon, and some very good ones - so I took a chance. The box and case are all top quality, very impressive. The glasses themselves do too, but since they fold up compactly, kep getting me scared that It'd crack them - this was an unfounded fear. It also has it's own menu that you can connect it to your network, but I didn't test it. In short, the video quality was really amazing, the best I've ever seen on video glasses. However, the perceived screen was too small for my taste (I'm used to ~100" front projector, so anything less than 65" seems small. This seemed to me like watching a 32" from about 15' back (totally subjective guess) - to me this was a deal breaker. In addition it comes with a battery brick, which if you're sitting down shouldn't be a problem, but to use while exercising presented an issue - so off to be resold on eBay these went. Not to mention that it makes a low hissing sound (fan?), which for my usage (in bed while wife is asleep) is a deal breaker.
*edit* seems that they have a new version with a larger "screen" and also the version that I had had a setting to increase the size (so I can't speak to whether mine had the max (default) size or not *
Playstation VR I have the PS4, so I figured that I'd give this a try with the VR as an added bonus. It uses a video box which needs to be plugged into an outlet - so using at the gym was out of the question. In addition, there are lots of cables (beware if you have a "playful" cat). Nonetheless, I set it up by my bed, and tried it. One issue is that the back of the headset lights up, so I needed to cover those spots with many layers of tape to keep the light from disrupting my wife's sleep. I experimented and discovered that I didn't need the PS4 to watch videos and hooked it up to my Roku. Once set up, I was VERY pleasantly surprised at the PQ. It wasn't amazing like the Royole, however I was expecting VCR quality and instead it looked high def, though as if I was watching on a very old LCD monitor. Not bad, not at all, and actually quite good, just not videophile. One thing to note is that the PQ varies GREATLY depending on how well you have the glasses situated. One plus, is that the image size was HUGE, just huge - it was like sitting at an IMAX theater, sitting just 8 rows back. After watching many videos on it over a period of time, I definitely liked it a lot, just didn't love it (though as mentioned the VR is a very nice perk). Also, I tested them while exercising on my home elliptical - and unfortunately it's a non starter. Since the glasses have black plastic to remove your total field of view, once you start sweating there's no where for it to dissipate and the lenses fog up to the point of being not able to see. I kept a while until the VR wore off, and then sold on eBay.
Avegant Glyph Here is where I found my sweet spot. The glasses look high quality, as mentioned by the previous poster - look like a pair of beats. So much so that I left them on my night table and no one knew that they were video glasses. As with the Royole, it has adjustments to slide each eye lens independently to get a perfect view, in addition you can turn each lens to focus each one separately. I also like the cross hairs that you use to set up the focus, and once set up the image appears 3D. Another MAJOR plus, is that unlike the playstation VR I didn't need to get things aligned perfectly to enjoy, it was more of getting it from 90% to 99% perfect. Also as with the Royole, it doesn't enclose your entire FOV so I was able to exercise (read SWEAT) and not fog up the lenses. As for picture quality (my main focus (pun intented)) - it was also just AMAZING - the specs are 720p, but I didn't feel any lacking at all (and I'm pretty particular about it) = detail was great, more importantly color was fantastic - like watching from a good DLP projector, bright with good colors. didn't feel at all , like I was watching on an old LCD monitor. One downside was the nosepiece, having a big nose the default piece didn't fit well and somewhat hurt. I had purchased used via eBay but found out that it usually comes with different nose pieces, so I contacted Avegant looking to buy a set, they responded quickly and gave me a set for free (!!) thanks, made me feel really good about the company). Now that I found great PQ to watch in bed, and use in the gym - I found my set. with the right sized nosepiece - it fit great (though now it no longer gets confused with headphones). I thought about the Royole which had better PQ, but then I thought that an apples-apples comparison, as smaller image size will always have better PQ (all else being equal). The Avegant hits the sweet spot for me - I'd (subjectively) put it at watching a 50-65" screen from 8' away (though interestingly if you block off the light getting in from the gaps (as it doesn't block your FOV) or have the lights out, the image size seems larger). the other big plus is that there is no battery brick, you recharge it and other than the HDMI cable to connect to the source, there are no cables or bricks- a major plus. I haven't drained the battery but I have used it for 2-3 hours at a time with out issue. The only downsides that impact my personal usage are that if you try to dose off to sleep and lie on your side the bulk of the earpieces, Another issue is that given the great PQ, and depth perception in the cross hair pattern I decided to hook it up to my 3D BluRay player (tried both the PS4 and a stand alone player) and both times even though I set the player to output 720p I couldn't get to see the 3D video - it would give the 720p error message before I could get there (i.e. the glasses had no way to downsize the menu or whatever was trying to show in 1080p, I'm probably doing something wrong and in fairness I didn't try contacting their technical support as it wasn't something I'd use it much for)- these were issues to me, but didn't outweigh the benefits. Also of note, I don't use them as a computer monitor, but I tried to see how it was, and found the PQ great, but the text too small to be of use. In addition, I ended up bending the video cable (which comes down from the bottom of the earpiece) and ended up damaging it so I need to buy a new cable (I can't say that's a flaw with the product but rather with how I used it). Nonetheless, the biggest support is that I ended up buying a 2nd pair to keep in the exercise room. I've used them for about 2 months and definitely recommend. In addition, I find myself now writing this review while sitting in a hospital (son recently diagnosed with cancer) and the prospect of having to spend many nights in the hospital with him, and the glasses help me to "get away" and enjoy top notch videophile PQ and am very glad that I bought them. I look forward to watching Silicon Valley tonight on HBO Go.
also of note is that the company has there own Augmented Reality headset technology coming - which seems to be a competitor to the secretive Magic Leap - I seriously recommend you looking up what those companies have in store, and having used the Avegant I would trust the company's ability
Robert Clark likes this.

Last edited by cgott42; 08-25-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
Royole X I saw that these had mixed reviews on Amazon, and some very good ones - so I took a chance. The box and case are all top quality, very impressive. The glasses themselves do too, but since they fold up compactly, kep getting me scared that It'd crack them - this was an unfounded fear. It also has it's own menu that you can connect it to your network, but I didn't test it. In short, the video quality was really amazing, the best I've ever seen on video glasses. However, the perceived screen was too small for my taste (I'm used to ~100" front projector, so anything less than 65" seems small. This seemed to me like watching a 32" from about 15' back (totally subjective guess) - to me this was a deal breaker. In addition it comes with a battery brick, which if you're sitting down shouldn't be a problem, but to use while exercising presented an issue - so off to be resold on eBay these went.
Thanks for your various comments.

I see that in September 2016 a new Royole model was released, the Royole Moon. It appears to have a good apparent screen size from various reviews I've seen.*

_____

* For example, at https://www.vrcircle.com/royole-moon...e-full-review/ :-

Royole claims the effect is that of a curved 800" IMAX screen. I would not go so far as to say the Moon is as good as being in an IMAX theater. However, this is as close as you can get without actually being in an IMAX theater. Compared to my own 92" projector screen from 14 feet, it does appear larger than that.

Last edited by MLXXX; 08-20-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Distinguishing the new Royole model from the earlier model
post #3 of 7 Old 08-21-2017, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLXXX View Post
Thanks for your various comments.

I see that in September 2016 a new Royole model was released, the Royole Moon. It appears to have a good apparent screen size from various reviews I've seen.*

_____

* For example, at https://www.vrcircle.com/royole-moon...e-full-review/ :-

Royole claims the effect is that of a curved 800" IMAX screen. I would not go so far as to say the Moon is as good as being in an IMAX theater. However, this is as close as you can get without actually being in an IMAX theater. Compared to my own 92" projector screen from 14 feet, it does appear larger than that.
Good info - I've added it to my OP
MLXXX likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-24-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 234
cgott42,

I am seriously considering the purchase of either the Royole Moon or its predecessor the Royole X which is the model you described above.
I am fully aware the Moon would be the better choice given its improvements (minor) but the model X is still available for sale for less than the Moon model, so i would appreciate if you could expand on your take of the Royole X.

Is there a control for increasing/decreasing screen size available on the model X or not ? Is it under "settings" just like on the Moon model ? According to at least one owner review on Amazon this adjustment IS NOT available on the model X.

Are all functions on the control wheel easy to access according to your experience with the item ? What exactly is available under "settings" ? Are there controls for contrast, brightness, color and tint ?

Can the model X be connected to the web via wifi, just like the Moon ?

How comfortable is the immersion mask : does it eventually hurt the nose after some period of wearing it ? Is part of the image blocked due to sliding the visor lower in the nose for better comfort, as some owners have reported ? Is there any "steaming" on the face after using it awhile ?

Thanks for your help >>> Marcos
post #5 of 7 Old 08-25-2017, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
cgott42,

I am seriously considering the purchase of either the Royole Moon or its predecessor the Royole X which is the model you described above.
I am fully aware the Moon would be the better choice given its improvements (minor) but the model X is still available for sale for less than the Moon model, so i would appreciate if you could expand on your take of the Royole X.

Is there a control for increasing/decreasing screen size available on the model X or not ? Is it under "settings" just like on the Moon model ? According to at least one owner review on Amazon this adjustment IS NOT available on the model X.

Are all functions on the control wheel easy to access according to your experience with the item ? What exactly is available under "settings" ? Are there controls for contrast, brightness, color and tint ?

Can the model X be connected to the web via wifi, just like the Moon ?

How comfortable is the immersion mask : does it eventually hurt the nose after some period of wearing it ? Is part of the image blocked due to sliding the visor lower in the nose for better comfort, as some owners have reported ? Is there any "steaming" on the face after using it awhile ?

Thanks for your help >>> Marcos
Marcos:
Unfortunately, I'm not going to be of much help. When I bought the Royole-X the small screen size was my first complaint, I did a google search and looked on Amazon and found others with the same complaint. I don't recall if I found and implemented the suggestion noted above in the settings to tell you whether I still found it to be too small. For my personal use the battery brick was an issue also a deal breaker for me was that the battery brick made a slight humming noise (fan?) - being that I would be using in the bedroom while my wife was asleep - I preferred the (Totally silent) Glyph, that plus that the Glyph offered comparable PQ so I didn't pursue the matter too much,and don't recall too much regarding the Royole as I didn't spend much time with it knowing that I wasn't going to keep it. I (vaguely) recall that the controls were easy to access, and don't recall PQ settings other than perhaps brightness (I don't understand why as my Glyph has bad reds - e..g lips look too light). re: Wifi - I'm pretty certain that it did connect via wifi.
re: comfort on the face - again, I didn't use the Royole long enough to tell you.

Hope what little I recall was of some help.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-25-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Thank you cgott42, that was very helpful information.
post #7 of 7 Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thanks, cgott for you impressions.

I’ve had 3 versions of the Sony HMZ video headsets and they do a very fine job of recreating a small movie theater without the extreme pixel grid of a VR headset but are heavy on the head and face, so I sold my HMZ t3 in anticipation of the upcoming Cinera:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...heater-headset

Where the Sony had 720p pixels to each eye, the Cinera has dual 2560 x 1440 displays and more importantly, doesn’t sit on your head! It’s on a movable arm which would be great for bedtime use.

Here’s Paul Miller’s impressions on the Verge:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...ax-kickstarter

Robert Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page