Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Yes.

---

Hmmm... I didn't know about the upped read speed for 3D discs. I did, however, read about the 32 GB single-layered and 66.8 GB dual-layered discs Sony and Panasonic are wanting to start pressing (all players in the field would need a firmware update to read them). The replication tolerances and quality control would have to be extremely tight for what they're proposing.

However, wouldn't that eliminate the backwards-compatibility with regular players the studios crowed about? Also, besides upping the bitrate to 60 Megabits/sec, you'd more than likely then have to significantly increase the storage space of the discs to compensate for the extra data required (more video and/or audio information than ever before). I would think you'd need more than the space Sony and Panasonic were talking about for most 2 hour or longer, live-action 3D movies, in particular.

The 3D BD standards have been set. One of those standards is the use of AVC MVC and the standard calls for ALL 3D BD's to have the ability to be played in all legacy BD players abiet in 2D.

If the proposed 33GB & 66GB BD's can't do that - then they can't be used for 3D BD.

And due to the fact that most of the 3D films released in the last 3 years are CGI animation, the average runtime is less than 100 minutes. IMAX 3D doc's are 45 minutes long on the average.

Quote:

Is this something they may be contemplating for these speculated triple and quad-layered Blu-ray discs instead? You'd need all new players for those, and if 66.8 GB discs with tighter spiral packing are going to be difficult, I'd hate to think of the failure rate for 100 GB and 200 GB Blu-ray discs! I'd think you'd need to use white cotton gloves too as a mere finger print or dust particle would wreck havoc on those things (it doesn't take much to fowl up the playback of regular Blu-ray discs now). Maybe caddies (which was first contemplated for Blu-ray discs in the early stages of the game) will have to come back in style.

A few lab made "proof of concept" discs, most are for R/RE. The fact remains that we continue to use single and dual layer discs for mass production
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page