Panasonic's DMP-BDT350 3D BD Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 476 Old 02-28-2010, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
This is Panasonic's 3D BD player and so far, it is unique for all the 3D BD players announced. It will have two HDMI outputs instead of just one.

The purpose of the second HDMI output is to make integration with existing 1.3 receivers easier/possible as long as you are willing to use your 3DTV to switch video for 3D.

Here is a picture of the back of the BDT350:



I sent an email to Panasonic to ask for a clarification of the two different HDMI connections on the back of the BDT350 3D BD player.

RE: But I have questions about it [T20100227006LS010Z68359]

Thank you for your interest in Panasonic products.
The Panasonic DMP-BDT350 will allow you to send the high-bandwidth 3D video directly to the display (TV) and the audio directly to the AV receiver via HDMI on seperate connections, one of these connections will give you the option of HD Audio only, so you are correct on this issue.
Please check on our website www.panasonic.com for further updates and availability of these units We hope this information is helpful to you. Thank you for contacting Panasonic.

On February 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Lee Stewart (edited - my email address went here - has my real name) wrote:

I have a question about the up and coming BDT350 3D Blu-ray player. On the back of the unit, there are two HDMI output connections labeled MAIN and SUB.. Is my understanding of the output of each correct?

MAIN = 3D Video + HD Audio

SUB = HD Audio (TrueHD, DTS-MA) only - no 3D Video

Thank you for your time and consideration in answering my question. I look forward to your response.
Lee Stewart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 476 Old 02-28-2010, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DaViD Boulet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Washington DC area
Posts: 6,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Thanks Lee for taking the time and effort to generate these great threads for discussion and information!

dave

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
DaViD Boulet is offline  
post #3 of 476 Old 03-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Member
 
cubsh8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Should I be concerned with potential handshake or time sync delays if I use both connections to support my existing Denon AVR?

Is Vudu one of their online apps? The new Samsung apps have it listed, but it would be more of a pain to take audio back out of tv to avr.

Thanks
cubsh8r is offline  
post #4 of 476 Old 03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
davehancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY (near Buffalo)
Posts: 5,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsh8r View Post

Should I be concerned with potential handshake or time sync delays if I use both connections to support my existing Denon AVR?

No

Dave Hancock
davehancock is offline  
post #5 of 476 Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
According to the press releases on Panasonic selling their 3DTV bundle at Best Buy today, this is the 3D BD player that they are selling (MSRP $399)

Panasonic DMP-BDT300 Full HD 3D Blu-ray Disc Player

http://dandygadget.com/2010/02/23/pa...y-disc-player/

It has the twin HDMI outputs like the BDT350. No idea what the differences are between the two players.

EDIT:

According to the HDGuru - no feature differences
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #6 of 476 Old 03-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gary Merson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Hicksville, NY USA
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I updated the review. The DMP-BDT-350 offers DLNA connectivity, the DMP-BDT300 does not.

HD Guru
Gary Merson is offline  
post #7 of 476 Old 03-10-2010, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Merson View Post

I updated the review. The DMP-BDT-350 offers DLNA connectivity, the DMP-BDT300 does not.

HD Guru

Hey Gary!

Thanks for stopping by and giving us the update. Greatly appreciated.

DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...twork_Alliance
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #8 of 476 Old 03-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Member
 
cubsh8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Perfect, now I just need BB to allow me to switch the Samsung BD player for the Panasonic in the starter kit promotional bundle! Doubt that's going to happen!
cubsh8r is offline  
post #9 of 476 Old 03-11-2010, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
NorthTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Merson View Post

I updated the review. The DMP-BDT-350 offers DLNA connectivity, the DMP-BDT300 does not.

HD Guru

Is there any reason I might regret not waiting for the model that offers DLNA connectivity? I assume the TV itself has DLNA connectivity so would the only inconvenience be with regard to the connections between them? I assume the Blue-Ray player is not going to be communicating with any other DLNA equipped devices such as a computer. I do plan to utilize the Skype communication feature being promoted for the Panasonic TV but can't imagine it would be impacted in any way by not having DLNA for the Blue Ray Player, correct?
NorthTV is offline  
post #10 of 476 Old 03-11-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

Is there any reason I might regret not waiting for the model that offers DLNA connectivity? I assume the TV itself has DLNA connectivity so would the only inconvenience be with regard to the connections between them? I assume the Blue-Ray player is not going to be communicating with any other DLNA equipped devices such as a computer. I do plan to utilize the Skype communication feature being promoted for the Panasonic TV but can't imagine it would be impacted in any way by not having DLNA for the Blue Ray Player, correct?

How it works

http://www.dlna.org/digital_living/how_it_works/
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #11 of 476 Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blue Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm trying to future proof my equipment for 3D and In the market for a blu ray player now .

I don't have the funds to upgrade my AVR Denon 3802 anytime soon which doesn't have HDMI .

Does the Panasonic DMP-BDT350 have optical outputs so I can send the audio portion to my AVR ?

I can send the video portion via the HDMI to my projector but how will I get the 5.1 audio if my AVR doesn't have HDMI..I'm hoping the BDT350 has Optical out.

My Panny ae4000u projector arrives next week and want to be able to play blu ray movies on it.

Thanks

73" Mits DLP
Panasonic AE4000 Projector
Blue Rain is offline  
post #12 of 476 Old 03-11-2010, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

I'm trying to future proof my equipment for 3D and In the market for a blu ray player now .

I don't have the funds to upgrade my AVR Denon 3802 anytime soon which doesn't have HDMI .

Does the Panasonic DMP-BDT350 have optical outputs so I can send the audio portion to my AVR ?

I can send the video portion via the HDMI to my projector but how will I get the 5.1 audio if my AVR doesn't have HDMI..I'm hoping the BDT350 has Optical out.

My Panny ae4000u projector arrives next week and want to be able to play blu ray movies on it.

Thanks

The DMP-BDT350 (and probably the 300) have a Digital Optical Out:

http://bluray-players.net/panasonic/...bdt350-review/
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #13 of 476 Old 03-11-2010, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
According to the HDGuru, the MSRP of the BDT350 will be $449.99 while the MSRP for the BDT300 will be $399.99
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #14 of 476 Old 03-11-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
walford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 16,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Blue Rain
According to the user manual for your new PJ it does not support the new full 3D Blu-Ray formats since the maximum input buffer size is 1920x1080. See:

projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_5240.pdf
walford is offline  
post #15 of 476 Old 03-11-2010, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blue Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Blue Rain
According to the user manual for your new PJ it does not support the new full 3D Blu-Ray formats since the maximum input buffer size is 1920x1080. See:

projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_5240.pdf

Hi

My projector is 1080p and all I want is to be able to watch 1080p movies and play Xbox games...not 3D at this time.

I know my projector isn't 3d and plan on upgrading the projector in 2 years to one thats 3D ready.

I can't afford to upgrade everything at once so I'll buy the blu ray (3D) now then in a year a new AVR with 1.4 HDMI and in 2 years a 3D projector.

So I will have the Blu ray player now and at the end of the year my AVR and the year after a new projector.

Or am I missing something ?

73" Mits DLP
Panasonic AE4000 Projector
Blue Rain is offline  
post #16 of 476 Old 03-11-2010, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blue Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The DMP-BDT350 (and probably the 300) have a Digital Optical Out:

http://bluray-players.net/panasonic/...bdt350-review/


73" Mits DLP
Panasonic AE4000 Projector
Blue Rain is offline  
post #17 of 476 Old 03-11-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DaViD Boulet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Washington DC area
Posts: 6,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

Hi

My projector is 1080p and all I want is to be able to watch 1080p movies...not 3D at this time.

I know my projector isn't 3d and plan on upgrading the projector in 2 years to one thats 3D ready.

I can't afford to upgrade everything at once so I'll buy the blu ray (3D) now then in a year a new AVR with 1.4 HDMI and in 2 years a 3D projector.

So I will have the Blu ray player now and at the end of the year my AVR and the year after a new projector.

Or am I missing something ?

That's a great way to go, and is basically what I'm doing too.

Since 3D blu-rays play just fine on 2D displays and even on 2-D players, don't feel in any rush to even worry about the 3D blu-ray player just yet. All you need to do to "get on board" with moving in the right direction is be sure to buy the 3D blu-ray version over the 2D in the future if a studio happens to make a dual-release for some reason... that way you'll be investing in software you can take full advantage of layer (like buying anamorphic DVDs even before you get a 16x9 TV).

Then the *next time* you buy any new gear... whatever it may be... just make sure it's 3D compatible.

The Projector could easily be the last piece to that puzzle as PJ prices will come down the most over time and the technology will improve the most over time, so it makes sense to make that the final thing you get.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
DaViD Boulet is offline  
post #18 of 476 Old 03-11-2010, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blue Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That's great to hear as I was getting concerned I might have missed something after all my research

Being the BDT350 is on the high end do you think I would be better off just buying a cheap Blu ray player instead of the BD 350 ?

Blockbuster doesn't even send out HD dvd's anymore ..they been sending me standard DVD's It seems most are Blu ray now .

They use to send HD dvd's which I was able to view on my XBOX..now I can't even view 1080i .

I already spent $2000 for projector and almost $1000 for screen. Not to mention this all started after my Mits 65 "HD RPTV died after 9 years ( Kind Of glad but she was faithful and wonderful all them years ) so I had to buy a cheap 1080p 40" screen TV which cost me $500... .Just so I could have something ...now I can't even watch HD movies because BB is sending me standard DVD's.

That's a total of $3500 dollars in a month. I'm not rich and work a 8-5 job and bust my cooly off just so I could get these things.

Won't be upgrading for another 9 years when I'm all said and done .

Do you think I should buy a plain bluray player (Not 3D) hoping in a few months the 3D version will come down in price ?

What would you do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

That's a great way to go, and is basically what I'm doing too.

Since 3D blu-rays play just fine on 2D displays and even on 2-D players, don't feel in any rush to even worry about the 3D blu-ray player just yet. All you need to do to "get on board" with moving in the right direction is be sure to buy the 3D blu-ray version over the 2D in the future if a studio happens to make a dual-release for some reason... that way you'll be investing in software you can take full advantage of layer (like buying anamorphic DVDs even before you get a 16x9 TV).

Then the *next time* you buy any new gear... whatever it may be... just make sure it's 3D compatible.

The Projector could easily be the last piece to that puzzle as PJ prices will come down the most over time and the technology will improve the most over time, so it makes sense to make that the final thing you get.


73" Mits DLP
Panasonic AE4000 Projector
Blue Rain is offline  
post #19 of 476 Old 03-11-2010, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
davehancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY (near Buffalo)
Posts: 5,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

That's great to hear as I was getting concerned I might have missed something after all my research

Being the BDT350 is on the high end do you think I would be better off just buying a cheap Blu ray player instead of the BD 350 ?

Blockbuster doesn't even send out HD dvd's anymore ..they been sending me standard DVD's It seems most are Blu ray now .

They use to send HD dvd's which I was able to view on my XBOX..now I can't even view 1080i .

I already spent $2000 for projector and almost $1000 for screen. Not to mention this all started after my Mits 65 "HD RPTV died after 9 years ( Kind Of glad but she was faithful and wonderful all them years ) so I had to buy a cheap 1080p 40" screen TV which cost me $500... .Just so I could have something ...now I can't even watch HD movies because BB is sending me standard DVD's.

That's a total of $3500 dollars in a month. I'm not rich and work a 8-5 job and bust my cooly off just so I could get these things.

Won't be upgrading for another 9 years when I'm all said and done .

Do you think I should buy a plain bluray player (Not 3D) hoping in a few months the 3D version will come down in price ?

What would you do ?

If you aren't moving into 3D rapidly, I would suggest the Sony BDP-S470. It is a 3D ready (needs a firmware upgrade) and lists for $200. There may be other 3D ready Blu-ray players at lower prices later this year (adding 3D to a Blu-ray adds very, if any, little manufacturing cost).

Dave Hancock
davehancock is offline  
post #20 of 476 Old 03-11-2010, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blue Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

If you aren't moving into 3D rapidly, I would suggest the Sony BDP-S470. It is a 3D ready (needs a firmware upgrade) and lists for $200. There may be other 3D ready Blu-ray players at lower prices later this year (adding 3D to a Blu-ray adds very, if any, little manufacturing cost).

Hmmmm

OK I do need a Blu ray player now .

Really don't want to spend big bucks at this time.

The Sony BDP-S470 sounds great and at $200 is right around where I really want to spend. Now I'm thinking for another $100 I could get a a PS3 for $299and I can play Blu Ray movies.

So that's where I'm at now..$200 or $300 ..Hmmmm

Decisions ...

Thanks so much for all your time

73" Mits DLP
Panasonic AE4000 Projector
Blue Rain is offline  
post #21 of 476 Old 03-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Member
 
juanchibiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colombia - Florida
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One question, if i have a 3D player but a 2D display, the movie would just look fine?, or the movie have some options to select 3D or 2D?.
juanchibiris is online now  
post #22 of 476 Old 03-14-2010, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanchibiris View Post

One question, if i have a 3D player but a 2D display, the movie would just look fine?, or the movie have some options to select 3D or 2D?.

To see 3D you need a 3DTV. You would probably see the 3D movie in 2D because the 3D BD player didn't detect a 3DTV so it switches to 2D. All 3D BD's will play in any BD player but in 2D only. It's like 2 versions of the movie on the same disc - 2D and 3D
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #23 of 476 Old 03-14-2010, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
walford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 16,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The full 3D Blu-ray players have a 2D outout option and when selected the player outputs only the left eye content recorded on the disk.
walford is offline  
post #24 of 476 Old 03-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Member
 
juanchibiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colombia - Florida
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK Thanks for the answer, i am considering buy this player, what is the estimated release date for it?.
juanchibiris is online now  
post #25 of 476 Old 03-15-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanchibiris View Post

OK Thanks for the answer, i am considering buy this player, what is the estimated release date for it?.

The BDT300 is in at best Buy (limited stores) now. the BDT350 gets released next month. problem is = no availability to 3D BD's.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #26 of 476 Old 04-02-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Still can't find (if it exists) a user manual but I did find a firmware download for the BDT300/350 - 2 of them:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/index.html
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #27 of 476 Old 04-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
NorthTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Still can't find (if it exists) a user manual but I did find a firmware download for the BDT300/350 - 2 of them:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/index.html

Curious what fixes those firmware downloads are intended to correct and/or whether additional features are being added. Anyone know? I do recall that in one of the tests of the TV itself there was a problem with the photo viewing feature such that it froze. Would be nice to know that has been addressed and corrected, assuming it was not simply unique to the test TV itself.
NorthTV is offline  
post #28 of 476 Old 04-07-2010, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Found the Specifications for the DMP-BDT300 at Panasonic UK. No PDF manual available

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...trackInfo=true
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #29 of 476 Old 04-19-2010, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I got one on preorder for a low, low price
Ruined is offline  
post #30 of 476 Old 04-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 4,550
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

I got one on preorder for a low, low price

You'll enjoy it. I love mine. Now if I can just get a 3D TV to go with it.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
teachsac is offline  
Reply 3D Source Components

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off