3d and hdmi 1.3 vs 1.4 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 08-13-2013, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what happens if I connect my PS3 to a onkyo hts 6100 receiver which has hdmi 1.3 repeater and then to my 3d tv? will the 3d and sound work with no problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 08-13-2013, 05:36 PM

Liked: 88
Let's start over with this thread because some of the information at the beginning of it is now obsolete. The HDMI Org (who owns the patents, trademarks, first born, and anything else related to HDMI) has stated that version numbers may no longer be used on cables *and* components. Instead manufacturers are supposed to include what options are provided with each component (cables are easier because they only come in two varieties with options).

So, in order for 3D to be available, the component must indicate that 3D is included. So, the bottom line to your question is if the receiver documentation shows it has "3D passthrough" then it is 3D compatible. If it does not mention 3D, then no 3D will pass. Same with a switch or repeater. However, remember when including a switch that HDMI uses the Lowest Common Denominator rule and if one component is not 3D capable, then all components will be unable to get 3D.

The reason that 3D causes such issues is that when 3D was added to the HDMI spec, the audio content in the HDMI stream changed location for 3D content only. So, a receiver that doesn't "understand 3D" won't know where to look for the audio information. The video is also different but your AVR is likely not processing the video, just passing it on.

What this also means is that it makes it easier to understand how Sony with a version 1.3 chip in its PS3 and Denon with a version 1.3 chip in some of its 3D-capable AVRs can process 3D audio and pass-along 3D video. It's just a matter of knowing where to look for audio and also passing along the appropriate video to the projector or TV. It also has to process the EDID information to know whether the sink (projector or TV) is 3D-capable.

With a PS3, despite having a 1.3 chip, the PS3 acts exactly as a Blu-Ray player for 3D except it can't send Dolby True HD with a 3D movie. That's the limitation of their work-around. With a non-3D AVR you will not be able to get any 3D with a PS3.

Bottom line - if it doesn't say 3D on the documentation, then it doesn't handle 3D. On an AVR, also make sure that there hasn't been a firmware update that handles 3D. Very few AVRs have been upgraded like that, but there are some.

Disclaimer - the above is for 3D Blu-Ray (frame packed) images. DirecTV and other's that use Side-by-Side and Top'n'Bottom 3D would still be able to pass 3D except that the EDID information from the AVR *may* block 3D from going through a non-3D AVR. The Audio should work, however, unlike Blu-Ray 3D discs on a non-3D AVR. Different AVRs may handle a 3D EDID differently (some won't include 3D option).
post #33 of 34 Old 08-13-2013, 06:27 PM

Liked: 10
thank you, I think If I want to watch 3D I'll use a toslink cable and plugin the hdmi directly to my tv (since the ps3 allows to use video and audio separated.
post #34 of 34 Old 08-13-2013, 06:55 PM

Liked: 88
That's a good way to do it and you'll only lose a little bit of sound quality as a trade-off.
Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page