3D Blu-Ray Over VGA (Projectors) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-11-2010, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was curious as to what any of you thought about how/if Blu-Ray will work in 3D over component/VGA. My case, I have a PS3 w/component-to-VGA hooked up to my 3D projector. What's the likelihood of 3D over component? I actually got this projector knowing full-well that I would probably have to upgrade for 3D Blu-Ray in the future, but it would be nice if I didn't have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-11-2010, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier2 View Post

I was curious as to what any of you thought about how/if Blu-Ray will work in 3D over component/VGA. My case, I have a PS3 w/component-to-VGA hooked up to my 3D projector. What's the likelihood of 3D over component? I actually got this projector knowing full-well that I would probably have to upgrade for 3D Blu-Ray in the future, but it would be nice if I didn't have to.

Possible, but unlikely, for the VGA connection, and very unlikely for the component.

For this to work at a sufficient frame rate (120 Hz seems to be agreed upon, 60 Hz per eye), your projector would have to accept 120 Hz VESA modes at the VGA input, and the 3D Blu-Ray player would have to have a VGA output and support 120 Hz VESA modes as well.

And then you have to figure out how to synchronize the shutter glasses, since neither the player nor the projector have a transmitter to synchronize the glasses.

Component signals are not going to work at 120 Hz.

So, even if you get the sync transmitter issue resolved, you will most likely be stuck with 30 Hz per eye, which flickers.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-11-2010, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!

Some of that went over my head, but I think I get the gist of it. My projector does 120hz in 3D mode and works with nVidia 3D Vision over VGA. So I know 3D is definitely capable.. I guess the part I don't get is what specifically is a VESA mode and what makes that different than how nVidia 3D Vision works (aside from the IR sync transmitter).
post #4 of 22 Old 03-11-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply!

Some of that went over my head, but I think I get the gist of it. My projector does 120hz in 3D mode and works with nVidia 3D Vision over VGA. So I know 3D is definitely capable.. I guess the part I don't get is what specifically is a VESA mode and what makes that different than how nVidia 3D Vision works (aside from the IR sync transmitter).

Ah, sorry for the jargon. VESA are the computer modes, such as 1024x768 or 1280x1024, as opposed to the video mode 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p etc.

If you know that your projector accepts VGA 120 Hz signals, maybe wait until there is a PC player application for 3D Blu-rays, and get a BD-ROM drive for your PC? Then all you need is nVidia support in that 3D Blu-ray player app, since you already have the glasses, and a transmitter connected to your computer.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-11-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
For full3D Hd blu-ray both the sending and recieving systems are requred to have use HDMI with HDMI 1.4 chips VGA obviously does not even come close to meetiing this requirement. However, you may be able receive lower resolution and/or lower PQ by having a 3D blu-ray player output in other then the Full3d packed format.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-11-2010, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post

Ah, sorry for the jargon. VESA are the computer modes, such as 1024x768 or 1280x1024, as opposed to the video mode 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p etc.

If you know that your projector accepts VGA 120 Hz signals, maybe wait until there is a PC player application for 3D Blu-rays, and get a BD-ROM drive for your PC? Then all you need is nVidia support in that 3D Blu-ray player app, since you already have the glasses, and a transmitter connected to your computer.

Good point. I will keep an eye out for solutions such as this. It would be great to continue to use the nVidia glasses as they are good quality and I already have them. I got my PJ as "temporary" solution, but I was actually quite impressed with it and would be content with it as my 3D Blu-Ray display! It's native res is 1024x768 (and does 120hz at that res), but it looks much better than I thought when feeding it a HD signal like a Blu-Ray.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-12-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:

I will keep an eye out for solutions such as this. It would be great to continue to use the nVidia glasses as they are good quality and I already have them. I got my PJ as "temporary" solution, but I was actually quite impressed with it and would be content with it as my 3D Blu-Ray display! It's native res is 1024x768 (and does 120hz at that res), but it looks much better than I thought when feeding it a HD signal like a Blu-Ray.

Yes, you are in pretty good shape already:
- You have a PC with a graphics card, that can send 120 frames per second to the projector, at its native resolution.
- You have the nVidia driver and IR transmitter connected to your PC, with the shutter glasses

Now, all you need is a Blu-ray player application that can:
- Decode two streams from the 3D Blu-ray's MVC data
- Send images from those two streams alternatingly to your graphics card
- Tell the nVidia driver which parity to signal to the shutter glasses for each of these images

That will give you 60 Hz per eye at 1024x768. The only advantage you would get from a standalone 3D Blu-ray player and a 1080p 3D projector would be 1920x1080, also at 60 Hz per eye.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-12-2010, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Rainer2,
Is the IR transmitter for the active shutter glases connected to the PC or is it connected to the PJ? I ask because with the Nvidia solution on the DLP TVs the transmitter is aattached to the TV and not to the PC.
If it is connected to the PC how do you adjust for PJ processing time required (lag) between the time a signal is sent to the PJ from the PC?
post #9 of 22 Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

The transmitter is connected to the PC, not the projector. The only thing that connects to the PJ is the VGA cable from the PC itself. A sync cable isn't necessary for my projector.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-12-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Following is a link to the VESA specification for active shuter glases.

http://ironicresearch.com/archives/StereoConnector.pdf

What is the make/model of your projector?

Is their any adjustment on the PC side for adjsuting the sync of the glases from the PC to match the ouput timiing of the PC?
post #11 of 22 Old 03-12-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I do not think there are any adjustments for anything like that I have come across.

Make/Model of PJ is Viewsonic PJD6210 3D
post #12 of 22 Old 03-13-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The user guide for your PJ is currently not available at the Viewsonic Website. Can you provide any information about the software program you run on your PC?
post #13 of 22 Old 03-14-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

I use the nVidia 3D Vision system. So, for movies/vids I play it in the 3D Vision Stereoscopic player which supports over/under, side by side, or interlaced formats. It will open DVDs too but so far there is no support for Blu-Ray. I can also run a plug-in that will convert 2D videos and DVDs to 3D, but honestly the conversion stuff sucks and probably always be nothing more than guesswork.

My projector is officially supported for the 3D Vision system so it's easy to set up (I did a review on the 3D Display section of the VS PJD6210). There is a USB dongle that sits in front near my pull down screen that syncs with the active shutter glasses. Games are ultra immersive, but I have some 3D HD trailers too like Bolt that are quite impressive and in some ways better than what you see at a theater (mostly likely attributed to the active shutter tech vs polarized glasses).
post #14 of 22 Old 03-14-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Over/Under is normally used to describe the packed buffer ouput format used by the new Full3D Blu-ray players. Is it possible that your player supports Top-Bottom format instead?
If your IR unit is an Alienware unit and uses a USB connection to your PC what connects to the Sync conection on the back of the unit or is it not used?
post #15 of 22 Old 03-15-2010, 08:20 AM

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1268635315649.html

nVidia announced today a driver update to support the HDMI 1.4 frame packing modes over the HDMI output, and also mention the capability to play back 3D Blu-ray.

So, you can use your existing nVidia 3D setup to play 3D blu-rays, and you can upgrade to an HDMI 1.4 3D display later, and still use your PC as a 3D Blu-ray player on it.
post #16 of 22 Old 03-15-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

That's quite awesome! So 3D movies will work over VGA through software NVIDIA is providing?
post #17 of 22 Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:

That's quite awesome! So 3D movies will work over VGA through software NVIDIA is providing?

No VGA:

•Can be run on GeForce GPU-based desktop or notebook PCs equipped with an HDMI or DVI connector

post #18 of 22 Old 03-15-2010, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Well that sucks.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-15-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

No VGA:

Can be run on GeForce GPU-based desktop or notebook PCs equipped with an HDMI or DVI connector

I think that statement relates only to the HDMI 1.4 3D formats. The native 3D handling by the nVidia driver should still work on all interfaces, including VGA.
post #20 of 22 Old 03-15-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

I hope so!
post #21 of 22 Old 03-29-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Stereoscopic video does work over RGBHV / VGA. Not sure about component video yet, but I think it might.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #22 of 22 Old 03-29-2010, 11:12 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Stereoscopic video does work over RGBHV / VGA. Not sure about component video yet, but I think it might.

How will his projector unpack a 3D BD frame over component input/VGA?. 3D BD AFAIK, requires a HDMI 1.4 TX chip and a HDMI 1.4 RX chip.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page