3D blu-ray exclusivity WTH? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just skimming the forums and news sites there is a lot of backlash and uncertainty over the 3D blu-ray exclusivity-bundles being announced. Even Avatar 3D may become exclusive to Samsung or Panasonic.

The question is will these 3D titles be available separately to purchase or not? I will be absolutely dumbfounded if these 3D titles can't be purchased separately. So you have your spiffy new 3D tv and only one movie to watch...LOL.

Don't get scammed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-13-2010, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post

Just skimming the forums and news sites there is a lot of backlash and uncertainty over the 3D blu-ray exclusivity-bundles being announced. Even Avatar 3D may become exclusive to Samsung or Panasonic.

The question is will these 3D titles be available separately to purchase or not? I will be absolutely dumbfounded if these 3D titles can't be purchased separately. So you have your spiffy new 3D tv and only one movie to watch...LOL.

Yeah, it sounds really dumb. The problem is, it's going to be awhile before there is any kind of legitimate selection of the 3D Blu Ray's to choose from. So, in these first couple of months, if the various manufacturers have an exclusive bundle, it's not really a big deal. Once there are about 20 movies available, I would then be shocked if M vs. A and Ice Age are still exclusive. They might still be exclusive in those bundles, but I'm guessing that it will be possible to purchase them separately. The bigger question, is will we be able rent them via Netflix or Blockbuster?
post #3 of 15 Old 03-13-2010, 07:13 AM

I am hoping that the movies bundles are the only thing exclusive, and the movies will also be sold separately to anyone (seems dumb that it would be any other way). I also hope that you can have both 3D and 2D on the same disc or at least both in the same box. I feel that if they were on the same disc you would be able to get them from Netflix, but then again I could be totally wrong.
post #4 of 15 Old 03-13-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGriffin View Post

I am hoping that the movies bundles are the only thing exclusive, and the movies will also be sold separately to anyone (seems dumb that it would be any other way). I also hope that you can have both 3D and 2D on the same disc or at least both in the same box. I feel that if they were on the same disc you would be able to get them from Netflix, but then again I could be totally wrong.

it sure is getting crazy the way they are doing the 3d thing.i think the way they are doing the glasses, pricing, compatibility between different companies, movie bundles etc. will actually turn people off of 3d.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-13-2010, 08:38 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGriffin View Post

No need to have two seperate discs. 3D BD is backwards compatible to all legacy BD players. Just put a 3D BD into one and they see 2D automatically due to the AVC-MVC encoding process
post #6 of 15 Old 03-13-2010, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the reply.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-13-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby View Post

it sure is getting crazy the way they are doing the 3d thing.i think the way they are doing the glasses, pricing, compatibility between different companies, movie bundles etc. will actually turn people off of 3d.

Today, and until June 11th, the only source of 3D (excluding PC generated 3D content) will be 3D BD. The CEMs need to sell 3DTV's and 3D BD players. They want to sell both at the same time. Some of the studios have joined in with the CEMs to give exclusives on newly created 3D BD titles.

This is contrary to the way HDM launched in June of 2006. And so far, only 3 studios are supporting 3D BD - Dreamworks Animation (4 titles), Fox (1 title) and Sony Pictures (1 title). Personally, I would have expected many more 3D titles than that.

The issue of the glasses is an age old issue. If you can create a proprietary product, then people have to come to you if they want it. They are IMO, high margin products. This will eventually be sorted out in time.

Until Mits releases it's 3DC-1000 3D converter, buying a 3D BD player doesn't get you anything. You can't watch a 3D BD on your 3D ready DLP RPTV without one. You need a new 3DTV. Hence the bundle. Plus with Samsung, you buy a bundle and you get the 3D starter kit free - a $349 value, which includes 2 pair of ASGs and the M v A 3D BD. Buy the Panasonic bundle - you get a single pair of ASGs and they will mail you a copy of Ice Age 3 3D in April.

Obviously, they will eventually start selling 3D BD's to anyone who wants one. When? My guesstimate is June.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-14-2010, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
As my sig says, I like new stuff, but won't be jumping into this home 3D thing any time soon until it's all sorted out. Sounds even worse than the first few weeks of Blu Ray.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #9 of 15 Old 03-14-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I read somewhere that either Monsters vs Aliens or Ice Age was exclusive (to be bundled only) through 2010. In 2011, it'll go on sale as a stand alone product.

Not exactly the best move to cut down on piracy.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #10 of 15 Old 03-14-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:

As a promotional tool, Samsung will have an exclusive on the 3D Blu-ray versions of all four "Shrek" movies later this year for a full year, while regular versions of the Blu-rays will be available through all retailers.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...1&ref=verttech
post #11 of 15 Old 03-14-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

As my sig says, I like new stuff, but won't be jumping into this home 3D thing any time soon until it's all sorted out. Sounds even worse than the first few weeks of Blu Ray.

This is totally different than when Blu-ray was launched. When Blu-ray and HD DVD players were first made available, all you had to have was a HDTV. This rollout is going to take longer because of all of the pieces. After June the rollout is going to appear a lot smoother. By the end of THIS YEAR, many of us will have already enjoyed 3D Blu-ray movies and three 3D channels on DirecTV. That's actually a pretty fast rollout considering almost no one here saw it coming until right before CES this year. And in a couple of years, I'm guessing that every TV you buy will be 3D capable.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I read somewhere that either Monsters vs Aliens or Ice Age was exclusive (to be bundled only) through 2010. In 2011, it'll go on sale as a stand alone product.

Not exactly the best move to cut down on piracy.

Actually, one of the big attractions to the studios with regard to 3D is that it is so difficult to copy. Someone can't just go into a movie theatre and with their digital camcorder create a copy to pirate. What I see happening in the short term is some type of exhange board at your local Best Buy where you as a Panasonic purchaser can loan your copy of Ice Age to a Samsung purchaser for his copy of Monsters and Aliens.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

Actually, one of the big attractions to the studios with regard to 3D is that it is so difficult to copy. Someone can't just go into a movie theatre and with their digital camcorder create a copy to pirate. What I see happening in the short term is some type of exhange board at your local Best Buy where you as a Panasonic purchaser can loan your copy of Ice Age to a Samsung purchaser for his copy of Monsters and Aliens.

Never heard of AnyDVD HD?

post #14 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Never heard of AnyDVD HD?

AnyDVD HD hasn't been update to work on BD 3D (yet). Also even if you do copy it to your PC then what You can't play it without hardware (HDMI 1.4) and a software player.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

AnyDVD HD hasn't been update to work on BD 3D (yet). Also even if you do copy it to your PC then what You can't play it without hardware (HDMI 1.4) and a software player.

Backing up a 3D BD shouldn't be any different than a regular BD, as it wouldn't be backwards compatible with regular BD players (regarding encryption schemes).

As far as hardware and software is concerned, you don't need HDMI 1.4, and the software is right around the corner.

Don't get me wrong, right this second, you couldn't do anything with the disc (besides possibly backing it up). But if CEMs have exclusivity for the entire year, the software will be here well before that.

And you don't necessarily need a PC. People sell bootlegs of BDs all the time, and this could possibly open a demand for that.

To remain slightly on topic, if I were the CEO of Blockbuster, I would be trying to make a deal with Panasonic and Samsung. Yeah, you can't sell these 3D BDs, but get the exclusive rights to rent them. They need all the help they could get right now.

Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page