MSG HD does 3D Rangers/Islanders NHL on Cablevision - Wednesday March 24th - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 03-18-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
MSG To Drop Puck On First 3D Hockey Telecast

Quote:

March 24 New York Rangers-Islanders Game Will Be Availabl To Residetial Customers, Special Screening

The National Hockey League game, scheduled at Madison Square Garden, will be offered to Cablevision MSG HD subscribers with 3D-compatible TV sets. The operator said it is in discussions with other carriers about carrying the HD contest.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...y_Telecast.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-19-2010, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Mike Bair of MSG says the cable company is planning many more 3D events in the coming months.

"We would consider additional playoff games if the equipment is available," adds Bair, via Variety. "We'll do more games next season and we would like to do a live concert for FUSE, our music network, later this year."

MSG will get its own separate 3D channel eventually as well.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl...t_hockey_in_3d
post #3 of 33 Old 03-21-2010, 09:07 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So what special equipment is cablevision offering to get this done?
post #4 of 33 Old 03-21-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

So what special equipment is cablevision offering to get this done?

None - you need their latest HD STB and one of the new 3DTVs
post #5 of 33 Old 03-21-2010, 03:49 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if the output of the STB is Dual DVI or just plain HDMI?
post #6 of 33 Old 03-21-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Does anyone know if the output of the STB is Dual DVI or just plain HDMI?

HDMI is what all the public info says, but DVI to HDMI conversion would be the least of the issues.

You would need to manage the side-by-side 3D format they are going to use into something the display you have can handle. For example, if you had a '07, '08, '09 Mitsu or Samsung DLP, all you'd need is the not yet available adapter from Mitsu, an emitter to control the glasses and the active stereo LCD shutter glasses themselves.

Those with deep pockets can use a RealD SbS POD, which costs $500, and does not work for other conversions.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #7 of 33 Old 03-21-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Some makes/models provide dual link DVI output connections since the chips they contain can provide it but I am not aware of any STBs that outputs dual link DVI or dual link HDMI.
If you use the Mits adapter to convert the content to Checkerboard for a Samsung or Mits 3D DLP RPTV then the TV will use the same built in emitter and glases it uses today when receiving Checkerboard content from a PC.
post #8 of 33 Old 03-21-2010, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

If you use the Mits adapter to convert the content to Checkerboard for a Samsung or Mits 3D DLP RPTV then the TV will use the same built in emitter and glases it uses today when receiving Checkerboard content from a PC.

With a very few exceptions, prior to 2010 model year 3D HDTVs, they will not have the emitter built in; it'll only have the 3 pin Mini Din (VESA) jack for the external emitter to plug into.

Current DLP displays with the emitter incorporated can be identified by the feature term 'DLP Link'. I've been told DLP Link is confined to stand alone projectors at this time.

post #9 of 33 Old 03-22-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Bad verbage on my part when I stated that the emitter was built into the DLP 3D RPTVs RPTVs I meant that the emitter was included with the TV and the TV had the jack for the emitter to be plugged into, as Ken points out, so a separate DLP-Link product was not required fo provide an emitter.
post #10 of 33 Old 03-22-2010, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

This is the company that is doing the game:

http://www.3alitydigital.com/
post #11 of 33 Old 03-23-2010, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Moderator Notes:

- No additional carriers known at this time.

- More info on-site from Kukla's Korner:
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph..._hockey_in_3d/

post #12 of 33 Old 03-23-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Moderator Notes:

- No additional carriers known at this time.

- More info on-site from Kukla's Korner:
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph..._hockey_in_3d/

Thanks for posting that Ken.

I see they too are using Sony digital HD cameras to build their 3D camera rigs - just like Pace 3D Fusion does.
post #13 of 33 Old 03-24-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Tonites the night!

Quote:
To witness Americas debut 3D broadcast viewers will require Cablevision services, a cable box and a newly released 3D display. The historic game will broadcast on a specially created station on the Cablevision network, channel 1,300.

post #14 of 33 Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Cablevision will use RealD's format for 3D content

Quote:
Cablevision says that they will use use RealD's format for 3D content. Cablevision’s content providers will be able use RealD tools to format their 3D content and deliver it to millions of homes. The delivery of RealD Format content is compatible with Cablevision’s current HD broadcast and on-demand systems and works with existing HD set-top boxes

http://www.3d-display-info.com/cable...mat-3d-content

Additional info:

Quote:
Pursuant to the licensing agreement, RealD tools will be used by Cablevision's content providers to format their 3D content and the delivery is compatible with Cablevision's current HD broadcast and on-demand systems and works with existing HD set-top boxes

post #15 of 33 Old 03-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
is anyone watching the game in 3d if so how does it look
post #16 of 33 Old 03-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Good article comparing hockey in 2D and 3D and discussing the problems involved:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/sp...tml?ref=sports
post #17 of 33 Old 03-25-2010, 08:19 AM

I switched on the channel with a 2d TV just to see what it would look like. On a 2d set, the images simply sat side by side on the screen. It did look like they were really promoting the 3d though. A few good shots of players slamming into the glass. Lots of switches to the announcers wearing their 3d glasses and discussing the technology. They also played a short clip of hand gliding in Hawaii in 3d.

Looks like channel 1300 is here to stay for Cablevision subscribers which is nice. They were showing a basketball game this morning. I'm waiting on the Panny 58" before making the move. Already got the purchase requisition signed so it's just a matter of timing at the moment. I'll report back when have some actually 3d to review.
post #18 of 33 Old 03-25-2010, 11:59 AM

Another good article on the program.
post #19 of 33 Old 03-25-2010, 12:23 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Just wondering if anyone knew what the minimal package would be to get channel 1300 if that was all someone was interested in?
post #20 of 33 Old 03-25-2010, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just wondering if anyone knew what the minimal package would be to get channel 1300 if that was all someone was interested in?

They don't sell channels ala carte. You get a programming package:

http://www.optimum.com/io/index.jsp

And you need an HD STB.
post #21 of 33 Old 03-25-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Topics merged.

post #22 of 33 Old 03-25-2010, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From Broadcasting & Cable

Quote:
MSG Proclaims 3D Hockey a Success

Raucous crowd enjoys viewing party

By Glen Dickson

MSG executives were enthusiastic over their 3D production Wednesday night (March 24) of the National Hockey League game between the New York Rangers and New York Islanders, the first live 3D sports telecast to be delivered over cable pipes.

"This will be the future of sports television," said MSG Media President Mike Bair, who added that he would like to produce a 3D concert event for the music network Fuse this summer.

While it is likely that only a handful of Cablevision subscribers actually got to see the game on new 3D TV sets, which only hit store shelves two weeks ago, an enthusiastic crowd of some 2,500 Rangers fans paid $20 apiece to watch the game in the Theater at Madison Square Garden (the Theater can seat around 5,600, but MSG blocked out a number of seats on the sides and rear of the Theater to ensure fans got a quality 3D effect). Bair noted that such viewing parties might be a good business in itself in the near term, as many Rangers and Knicks games are sold out, particularly during the playoffs.

The paying customers seemed to enjoy the 3D game, which was delivered using RealD's digital cinema technology. The crowd cheered loudly throughout a contest that was crucial to the Rangers' slim playoff hopes (the Rangers won 5-0). The game was produced using six 3D camera rigs from 3ality Digital, including three beamsplitters, two side-by-side units and a robotic unit. Bair said that the production came together in just the past two weeks, as MSG seized an opportunity to use 3ality's gear between a Black Eyed Peas concert it produced earlier this month and the NAB show in Las Vegas next month.

Bair said the short prep time made securing carriage of the 3D game with other operators difficult, though MSG was open to it. Comcast will be carrying a 3D broadcast of the Masters next month and DirecTV plans to launch three 3D channels in June.

"It was really just a timing issue," said Bair.

Scott O'Neil, president of MSG Sports, said he was surprised by how quickly the tickets for the viewing party sold out with such a short promotional window; MSG just announced the 3D broadcast last week and began touting the viewing party on its various channels and through radio spots and emails. He was also impressed with how good the 3D footage looked, especially considering the only 3D hockey shot to date was some test footage from the outdoor Winter Classic at Boston's Fenway Park this winter. Andy Rosenberg, who has directed two 3D productions for the NBA All-Star games, oversaw MSG's 3D production.

"There aren't too many people who know too much about shooting a live game, so I wasn't sure what the experience would be like," said O'Neil.

Both Bair and O'Neil said that going forward, they would have to strike a balance between the ideal camera positions for 3D and the "seat kills" that would result, which require the Rangers to either move customers from their normal seats or sell less tickets. Bair said that camera placements for 3D will be closely considered as the Garden is renovated over the next year.

post #23 of 33 Old 03-25-2010, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From FOX News.com
Quote:
3DTV: It's an Eye-Opener

By Jeremy A. Kaplan

When the NHL's New York Rangers beat the New York Islanders 5-0, Wednesday night, it was more than just a local blowout. It was also the first domestic 3D television broadcast. And to my eyes, it was a game-changing experience.

I have seen the future, and it requires special glasses.

When the National Hockey League's New York Rangers beat the New York Islanders, 5-0, Wednesday night, it was more than just a local blowout. It was also the first domestic 3D television broadcast. And to my eyes, it was a game-changing experience.

Broadcast live from New York City's Madison Square Garden in high definition and three dimensions on a special Cablevision channel, the game was the first 3D sports broadcast in the U.S. (Sky claimed the title of first worldwide broadcast, having shown a soccer match in the United Kingdom last month).

To watch the special airing, a viewer needed ordinary service from Cablevision, a regular cable box, and one of a new class of television sets capable of displaying content in 3D. Since hardly anyone has bought the expensive new televisions just yet (like most folks, I'm still using an old-fashioned low-definition TV), I dropped by a special screening Madison Square Garden held to demonstrate the technology.

And it was stunning.

I wore a pair of clunky-but-lightweight Buddy Holly-style glasses that fit over my regular glasses -- the same kind you'll get at the theater to see Avatar. And when I stood around 10 feet from the otherwise ordinary looking flat-screen TV, I felt as though I was in the front row, looking through the glass.

Players faced off across a measurable distance, bodies slammed up against the glass and right into my face, and when the ref pointed at the action he actually pointed at the action, not just toward something. It also gave depth to ordinary shots -- a broadcaster on a street corner somehow looked more real than ever before.

That said, there are problems that will need to be resolved as the technology is perfected. Broadcasters need to figure out how best to use these new cameras: Action shots from midrange gained remarkable depth, but objects too close to the camera were disconcerting and broke the illusion of depth. When cotton-candy vendors crossed before the screen or a pole leaped into view, I yelped in surprise.

The current $3,000 to $5,000 price tags of 3D TVs might lead to similar gasps from shocked consumers. And many people are concerned that the 3D glasses required to watch the broadcasts are incompatible: If you buy a Panasonic model, you won't be able to use the lenses on your neighbor's Sony.

My experience wasn't quite what you'll get at home. Cablevision wouldn’t confirm which model TV we were looking at, but only professional models use the same polarized glasses as movie theaters. Consumer televisions from Panasonic, Samsung and others use glasses with built-in LCD screens that are timed to open and close in sync with the set, creating the 3D effect. They're slightly clunkier, but create an effect that's just as cool.

Because the 3D signal is generated by separate (very expensive) cameras, it was a completely different broadcast than the ordinary one, with different announcers, on a unique cable channel, and without ads. Which makes sense, of course: With a nationwide 3D TV penetration of something like .001 percent, who would they sell ads to?

MSG had set up a side-by-side viewing of high-def TV and 3D TV, and the two simply can't be compared. Many people remarked upon seeing high-def for the first time that ordinary TV would no longer suffice.

I've visited friends with HDTVs to catch them shamefacedly watching nature programs they'd never have sat through in regular definition. But seeing the detail in sunsets, running water, heck, even bugs is such a fascinating experience that regular broadcasts won't do. 3D could have the same effect; to my eyes, it's no comparison to HD.

MSG looks to learn from this first ever broadcast as it moves forward with a renovation project for the Garden, and the company plans more 3D projects in the future, though what they are and how frequent they will be remains to be seen. But as someone who's watched the broadcast, let me tell you: 3DTV is eye opening.

post #24 of 33 Old 03-25-2010, 04:27 PM

Regardless of the technology, the Iles will still come out flat. Just sayin'.

GO SHARKS!
post #25 of 33 Old 03-25-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 64
An author covering the event recorded it in his dvr.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 33 Old 03-25-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

An author covering the event recorded it in his dvr.

Yes, it can be recorded and played back, just like standard HD.

post #27 of 33 Old 03-26-2010, 09:24 AM

Some TiVo HD users have reported that the MSG HD 3D broadcast had the "copy once" flag set which means that they could record it on a single DVR but could not copy it further to any other device or their PC (with TiVo To Go).
post #28 of 33 Old 03-27-2010, 07:50 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsont View Post

I switched on the channel with a 2d TV just to see what it would look like. On a 2d set, the images simply sat side by side on the screen. It did look like they were really promoting the 3d though. A few good shots of players slamming into the glass. Lots of switches to the announcers wearing their 3d glasses and discussing the technology. They also played a short clip of hand gliding in Hawaii in 3d.

Looks like channel 1300 is here to stay for Cablevision subscribers which is nice. They were showing a basketball game this morning. I'm waiting on the Panny 58" before making the move. Already got the purchase requisition signed so it's just a matter of timing at the moment. I'll report back when have some actually 3d to review.

Is channel 1300 showing a continuous loop of 3D?
post #29 of 33 Old 03-30-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokeySmoke View Post

Some TiVo HD users have reported that the MSG HD 3D broadcast had the "copy once" flag set which means that they could record it on a single DVR but could not copy it further to any other device or their PC (with TiVo To Go).

The TiVo HD supports 3D?
post #30 of 33 Old 03-30-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmz00 View Post

The TiVo HD supports 3D?

Yes. The reason for this is that the broadcast standard adopted is the 1080i side-by-side format which for all intents and purposes is simply two horizontally scaled images (one for each eye) in the same basic 1080i frame. This means nothing needs to be changed in the entire broadcast chain except for the acquisition device at the beginning and the display device at the end.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page