Connecting samsung 6900 blu-ray to 55c7000 tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2010, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I hope somebody will know if this will work.

I am getting the samsung 6900 bluray and i have the 55c7000 already . I have a onkyo reciever and its only hdmi 1.3, so i know if i run it through that, i wont be able to get 3d.

So I was thinking if i get one of these hdmi splitters from monoprice
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

If i run one hdmi cable to the reciever for the hd sound and one to the tv for the 3d picture

Anybody know if this will work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pretty early in the game, should probably work. But it is not tested. Is the cable rated at HDMI 1.4?
Old 03-27-2010, 10:22 AM

Liked: 44
You aren't doing anything different using a 1.3 HDMI switcher/splitter then if you ran it through your Onkyo.

You need a product that doesn't exist yet - it would take the 1.4 3D video and HD audio and split it into 2 identical signals - One would go to your 3DTV which has the 1.4 3D video intact. The other signal would be stripped of it's 3D video signal leaving only the 1.3 HD audio which you would send to your Onkyo for audio decoding. A 1 in 2 out processor so to speak.

This is available on the Panasonic 3D BD players. But no others.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The other signal would be stripped of it's 3D video signal leaving only the 1.3 HD audio ...

What's the point of stripping out the video?

Here is Monoprice's HDMI switch page (none is rated for HDMI 1.4).

Greg Lee
Old 03-27-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I can not get the link as posted to work,
If it is an inexpensive Y splitter it will not work since the souce can HDMI source can not "Shake Hands" with more then one desination concurrently. You would need an HDMI distribution box or "switch" instead.
Only older version slower speed HDMI cables will not support HDMI 1.4 3D content.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

What's the point of stripping out the video?

To make the signal compatible to 1.3 receivers for HD audio decoding. This is what the Panasonic 3D BD twin HDMI output players are doing. Either strip it or stop it (the 3D video signals)
Old 03-27-2010, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Only older version slower speed HDMI cables will not support HDMI 1.4 3D content.

I know what the specs say, but maybe, maybe not. You'd have to try it to know if it would work or not. Some earlier version HDMI cables will work.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 03-27-2010, 11:39 AM

Q. What is the difference between a “Standard” HDMI cable and a “High-Speed” HDMI cable? HDMI 1.3

Recently, HDMI Licensing, LLC announced that cables would be tested as Standard or High-Speed cables.

•Standard (or “category 1”) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 75Mhz or up to 2.25Gbps, which is the equivalent of a 720p/1080i signal.

•High Speed (or “category 2”) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz or up to 10.2Gbps, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates from the Source. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#49

Will any of the new HDMI 1.4 features require a new cable?

The HDMI Ethernet Channel feature will require a new cable that supports this functionality, either a Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet or a High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet, depending on the maximum resolution to be supported. The Automotive Connection System will also employ a new class of cable, the Standard Automotive HDMI cable, which is designed specifically for automotive use. All of the other new HDMI 1.4 features will be compatible with the existing categories of cables.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...1_4_faq.aspx#5
Old 03-27-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Let me try this again, here's the link to the item on monoprice
Old 03-27-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To make the signal compatible to 1.3 receivers for HD audio decoding.

How do we know a 3D signal from an HDMI 1.4 sender is not compatible with 1.3 receivers for HD audio decoding?

Greg Lee
Old 03-27-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

High Speed (or category 2) HDMI cables ... can successfully handle 1080p signals

Monoprice sells High Speed HDMI cables, and some of their switch/splitter devices are rated for 1080p. However, Monoprice seems to think that HDMI 1.4 cables are distinct from High Speed 1.3, and the 1.4 cables won't be available until later this year.

Greg Lee
Old 03-27-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:

How do we know a 3D signal from an HDMI 1.4 sender is not compatible with 1.3 receivers for HD audio decoding?

Going on what the HDGuru has posted in this article.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Monoprice sells High Speed HDMI cables, and some of their switch/splitter devices are rated for 1080p. However, Monoprice seems to think that HDMI 1.4 cables are distinct from High Speed 1.3, and the 1.4 cables won't be available until later this year.

HDMI.org is where that information is coming from. It has to be a CERTIFIED Cat 2 High Speed 1.3 cable. And too often I have found myself helping people with their switcher/splitters that don't live up to their specs as they publish them.

OBTW - Monster sells a 15.2Gbps HDMI rated cable.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Going on what the HDGuru has posted in this article.

Could you be more specific? I've just read through that article, and I didn't notice anything to the effect that an HDMI 1.3 generation receiver could not extract audio from a 3D HDMI 1.4 stream.

Greg Lee
Old 03-27-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Could you be more specific? I've just read through that article, and I didn't notice anything to the effect that an HDMI 1.3 generation receiver could not extract audio from a 3D HDMI 1.4 stream.

My reading of his article is the incompatability of the 1.4 signal with the 1.3 HDMI RX chip which won't recognize the signal. It will stop before entering the receiver for audio processing. Last sentence in his section on receivers is telling me that - use optical/coax output for 5.1 audio.

If that isn't the case then all you would need is a 1.4 HDMI splitter.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'd just plan to use HDMI to the display and optical to the audio system. It is nice you not really stuck if the cheap splitter doesn't work.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by dx31698 View Post

So I hope somebody will know if this will work.

I am getting the samsung 6900 bluray and i have the 55c7000 already . I have a onkyo reciever and its only hdmi 1.3, so i know if i run it through that, i wont be able to get 3d.

So I was thinking if i get one of these hdmi splitters from monoprice

If i run one hdmi cable to the reciever for the hd sound and one to the tv for the 3d picture

Anybody know if this will work

If you already have the 7000, might I suggest the Panasonic as Lee stated. Having owned both Samsung and Panasonic players, I prefer the Panasonics. It does have two HDMI outs for video and audio. I have one and love it so far. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for the larger 3D sets to come out.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 03-28-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

I'd just plan to use HDMI to the display and optical to the audio system. It is nice you not really stuck if the cheap splitter doesn't work.

Optical won't give you lossless sound (TrueHD, DTS-HD MA). So you will get 3D picture but sub-optimal sound. I'm not saying it is terrible sound but people have gone all-out to get receivers that do lossless sound and this would take that away. That is why I think Panasonic is doing the right thing with their dual HDMI outputs.

Note if your Blu-ray player has full analog audio outputs you could use those to get lossless as long as your receiver has 5.1 or 7.1 analog inputs but then you may have bass management issues depending on the capabilities of Blu-ray player and receiver.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:51 PM

Liked: 16
There is nothing about HDMI 1.4 and stereoscopic formats that will prevent current HDMI splitters from working with it. Splitters are brain dead devices that simply forward everything to the display. The EDID transactions will occur with the display connected to the primary output of the splitter. HDCP transactions will occur with all devices. As long as the HDMI infoframe is forwarded correctly to the display then the display will recognize the 3D format.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

I would think that a 1.3 splitter would work as well. But if there is a computer chip in it that sends info back to the device it might cut off the signal.
I would ask down in the HDMI section and see if you can get a better answer down there.

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for theirs.
General George Patton
Old 03-28-2010, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyoen for their advice.. i might just order the splitter and see if it works, and if not just send it back
Old 03-28-2010, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokeySmoke View Post

HDCP transactions will occur with all devices.

Not according to the Monoprice item description for the part dx31698 referred to:
Quote:

Also, since passive splitters do not negotiate individual handshakes between connected devices and do not pass HDCP information back to the source device, passive splitters are not recommended for most home theater applications. For home theater applications, using an active or powered splitter is highly recommended. If you're looking for a 1x2 HDMI splitter for a home theater application, we recommend using product ID 4921. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

The 4921 model referred to is here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Greg Lee
Old 03-28-2010, 08:06 PM

Liked: 16
A passive splitter is not ever recommended as it could never pass compliance testing. In my opinion, a passive splitter is not an HDMI splitter at all since you lose functionality that's required to function correctly. So, to make it clear, do not buy or use a "passive HDMI splitter".