Choosing between the Samsung and Panasonic 3D DVD Blu-ray players - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-02-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since the same features seem to be duplicated on the respective manufacturer's 3D TVs and their 3D DVD Blue-ray players would it make sense to mix and match in order to maximize available features? Obviously a Samsung3D TV purchaser who desired the audio out HDMI 1.3 connectivity unique to the Panasonic 3D player might make that choice. It appears that the Samsung 3D DVD player may have some features of its own that might be attractive to the purchaser of a Panasonic 3D TV. For example I have seen reviewer criticism of Panasonic limiting the number of internet partners it has lined up, at least compared to what Sony has in the pipeline. Curious if anyone has sat down and compared feature by feature the pluses and minuses of the Samsung vs. the Panasonic 3D DVD players currently available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-02-2010, 06:09 PM

Liked: 44
That might be an interesting comparison, but without the User Manual available for the BDT300/350, IMO, it will be a bit difficult.

If we just look at published specs/marketing features than all we are comparing are which internet widgets are available.

And seeing as how there are no 3D BDs for sale, we should include the S470 and S570 Sony 3D ready BD players. Their U. Manuals are available online. They are also a lot cheaper - the S470 is half the price of the BDT300.

I know the Samsung BD-C6900 has 7.1 Analog Outputs. Do the Panasonic's? The Sony's don't nor will the new LG 3D BD player. The Toshiba will.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-04-2010, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

That might be an interesting comparison, but without the User Manual available for the BDT300/350, IMO, it will be a bit difficult.

If we just look at published specs/marketing features than all we are comparing are which internet widgets are available.

And seeing as how there are no 3D BDs for sale, we should include the S470 and S570 Sony 3D ready BD players. Their U. Manuals are available online. They are also a lot cheaper - the S470 is half the price of the BDT300.

I know the Samsung BD-C6900 has 7.1 Analog Outputs. Do the Panasonic's? The Sony's don't nor will the new LG 3D BD player. The Toshiba will.

OK, here is what I have come up with. I would welcome response as to whether these differences make one or the other unit more compelling to purchase regardless of which 3D TV one acquires.

Features that the Samsung BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray player has that apparently the Panasonic does not except as noted and questioned:

1. 1 GB Memory (Panasonic does not claim to have any memory although reference is made to inserting a SD card with at least 1 GB memory for certain uses.)
2. AllShare Screen fit (21:9 to 16.9 without black bars.)
3. Samsung Apps
4. Playback formats (Unclear whether Panasonic also has)VC-1,AVCHD,
DiXHD, MPEG2, 3GP (Panasonic lists its playback formats to include
BD-Rom discs, backward compatible with DVD+/- R/RW DL, DVD-ROM
audio CD, CD-R/RW although Panasonic also lists "Feature 7.1 channel
analog audio outputs for AVCHD, DVD-Audio, Dolby digital and DTS play
back on a compatible audio system.")
5. Internal stream video for Net Flix (Unclear as to Netflix for Panasonic
which does state: "Connect to internet and have instant access to stream
movies.")
6. USB 2.0 ports. Samsung has two, Panasonic one.
7 Composite video outputs.
8. Component Video outputs. (Panasonic lists 1 optical digital output and
1 coaxial digital output along with 3 audio outputs.)
9. One HDMI output (Panasonic has two)
10. Possibly two HDMI inputs (read this somewhere else) In any event the
Panasonic has no HDMI inputs.

Only Panasonic lists a media card slot (SD Card.)

Apparently neither player has IEEE 1394 Firewire Port or a PC Input. Both claim to have built-in Wi-Fi.

With regard to the Panasonic DMP-BDT350 the following information is taken directly from the brochure:

Format: BD-ROM (Full HD 3d BD; BD-Live)
BD-RE/BD-RE DL (BD-MV [BD-R version 2]; DivX/DivX HD)
BD-R/ BD-R-DL (BD MV [BD-R version 2], DivX/DivX HD)
DVD-ROM (DVD Video)
DVD-RAM (DVD-VR, JPEG, AVCHD)
DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-R DL (DVD Video, DVD-VR, AVCHD, JPEG/MP3, DivX/DivX HD)
+R/+R DL/ +RW (Video)
CD (AVCHD)
CD-R/ -RW (CD-DA, MP3, JPEG, DivX/DivXHD)

VIDEO:
Signal System (NTSC)
Video D/A Converter (148.5 MHz/12bit)
1080/24p Playback

INPUT/OUTPUT:
SD Memory Card Slot
USB Slot (USB 2.0 High Speed)
Ethernet for network
HDMI (Output)

The above is based on promotional materials provided by retailers of the products and not from manuals. Additions, deletions or corrections are welcomed.
post #4 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 12:43 AM

Liked: 14
I'm quite interested in both of these players as well. If you check out the BB site you can see a picture of the back of the BDT 300/350:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...&skuId=9771235

It seems to show component out, composite out, and 5.1 analog out, as well as 2 HDMI out, optical and coax digital audio out, and an ethernet jack and USB port (or is that the SD card slot?).

An important issue for me is the quality of the DVD upconversion, which of course is why I would like for Oppo to come out with an Oppo 83D version.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dean View Post

I'm quite interested in both of these players as well. If you check out the BB site you can see a picture of the back of the BDT 300/350:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...&skuId=9771235

It seems to show component out, composite out, and 5.1 analog out, as well as 2 HDMI out, optical and coax digital audio out, and an ethernet jack and USB port (or is that the SD card slot?).

An important issue for me is the quality of the DVD upconversion, which of course is why I would like for Oppo to come out with an Oppo 83D version.

It has 7.1 analog outs. Upconversion is quite good.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #6 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

It has 7.1 analog outs. Upconversion is quite good.

S~

Ah, right you are..... thanks for the clarification..... and I'm glad to hear that the upconversions is "quite good". Does that mean that you have one, or have had the opportunity to see it? I can't seem to find any available for a demonstration.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
It is very possible that both Samsung and Panasonic are using the same upscaling video chips in their new 3D HDTVs as they are in their 3D BR disk players so there may be no diffenence in the upscaling quality between the them. This was done by at least one of the vendors for thier 2009 products but I don't recall which one.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

It is very possible that both Samsung and Panasonic are usiint the same upscaling video chips in thier new 3D HDTV as they are in their 3D BR disk players so there may be no diffenence in the upscaling quality between the them. This was done by at least one of the vendors for thier 2009 products but I don't recall which one.

Hmmmmmm......... so it's possible I would get the same results if I plugged my nice Pioneer DVD player straight into the TV?
post #9 of 14 Old 04-06-2010, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Ah, right you are..... thanks for the clarification..... and I'm glad to hear that the upconversions is "quite good". Does that mean that you have one, or have had the opportunity to see it? I can't seem to find any available for a demonstration.

I do. Finding a demo is extremly difficult. Regular BD's and SDDVD's work wonderfully. I don't watch a whole lot of SDDVD's anymore, but I did watch Mary Poppins for the mixed media and SW Episode 3 for the colors. Both looked terrific. Now I'm waiting for a 3D capable display. Hopefully I'll have the PN63C8000 around the 23rd.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #10 of 14 Old 04-06-2010, 10:10 AM

Thanks teachsac, the Panasonic model is sounding promising. My problem with the Samsung model is that the one I saw during a 3D demo at BB failed to load 3 discs in a row, 2 Blu-ray and one DVD. I've also read a few other reports about it not being able to use the Resume function on Blu-ray discs and having possible lip sync problems with streaming media.

I guess we'll see how this all shakes out as more folks get them and give us reports.

I'd be very interested if you could give us any further observations about your new player.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Thanks teachsac, the Panasonic model is sounding promising. My problem with the Samsung model is that the one I saw during a 3D demo at BB failed to load 3 discs in a row, 2 Blu-ray and one DVD. I've also read a few other reports about it not being able to use the Resume function on Blu-ray discs and having possible lip sync problems with streaming media.

I guess we'll see how this all shakes out as more folks get them and give us reports.

I'd be very interested if you could give us any further observations about your new player.

I've owned every gen of Panasonic (except the 60/80) and a first gen Samsung (quickly returned) and the 3600. I prefer the Panasonics between the two. Load times are quick compared to previous models. Same times as the 65/85. Netflix is already available. Pandora should be available in June.

Any specific questions?

S~

post #12 of 14 Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

I've owned every gen of Panasonic (except the 60/80) and a first gen Samsung (quickly returned) and the 3600. I prefer the Panasonics between the two. Load times are quick compared to previous models. Same times as the 65/85. Netflix is already available. Pandora should be available in June.

Any specific questions?

S~

Well, sure..... if you're game.

1. Does the Resume feature work with Blu-ray titles?
2. Have you had any discs (DVD or Blu-ray) fail to load?
3. How do you like the remote?
4. Have you had the opportunity to do any streaming, and if so, did it seem to go smoothly?
5. Any quirks that you've noticed so far?
6. As far as upconversion goes........ I'm particularly interested in how this deck might compare to the Oppo 83. Is there any chance you've had a chance to see the Oppo 83's upconversion in action and can compare the two?

That's enough for now, thanks for the offer to answer them.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Well, sure..... if you're game.

1. Does the Resume feature work with Blu-ray titles?
2. Have you had any discs (DVD or Blu-ray) fail to load?
3. How do you like the remote?
4. Have you had the opportunity to do any streaming, and if so, did it seem to go smoothly?
5. Any quirks that you've noticed so far?
6. As far as upconversion goes........ I'm particularly interested in how this deck might compare to the Oppo 83. Is there any chance you've had a chance to see the Oppo 83's upconversion in action and can compare the two?

That's enough for now, thanks for the offer to answer them.

1. Depends on of the disc allows it. Some do, and some don't. The feature is there though. Fox enabled it on Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeekquel. The text was definitely Fox's as it didn't match the text used by Panasonic. Star Trek started over from the beginning when resume was pushed.

2. Nope.

3. Slightly different than previous versions, but pretty much the same. I honestly don't mond it as I'm used to it. As soon as all of my equipmernt is in place, I'll program my UR.

4. I haven't streamed from my PC, but it does see my shared folder on my PC. I have used the NF feature. I had a little bit of trouble at first. When I reset my modem, that cleared up the problem.

5. None so far.

6. The Oppo is great. The 350 isn't really that far behind.

S~

post #14 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 10:50 AM

Thanks teachsac, you've been most gracious in answering my questions and VERY helpful.

I do understand that some Blu-rays don't allow for the resume feature, a shame since I rarely watch a film all the way through these days...... but as long as the feature works for those discs that it should, then that's ok.

It sounds like the upconversion should be good enough for what I want. Thanks again!
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page