3d Blu ray Players w/ DLP - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 150 Old 04-13-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Allright got some hands on with the Panasonic 3d player this morning and this evening. First and foremost this player does not convert 2d into 3d. The player only outputs 3d when a 3d disc is inserted. I used my Samsung 3d glasses this morning as my Xpands did not arrive until late this afternoon. I am using the Samsung 67a750 as a display. I set the player to checkerboard and chose 3d mode 2 on my display and I was ready to rock. The 3d effect was very good, however I noticed ghosting. Sometimes barely noticeable and other times outright terrible. The 3d effect was very good and closeup shots revealed alot of detail. I went to work with a bad taste in my mouth not sure I was liking what I was seeing.

I got my Xpands this afternoon and had a little difficulty getting the battery to seat properly. With a little patience I got them to seat and my two new pairs of glasses are ready to go. The Xpands are extremely comfortable compared to my Samsungs, the Panasonics and the newer Samsung glasses. I fired up the machine, popped in the demo, and turned on the 3d mode to the display. And there it was again, ghosting. I am now thinking there has got to be something I could do. So I toyed with my display picture settings, tried different picture modes, and played with the picture settings in the Panasonic player. No matter what, I could not get rid of the ghosting. I was ready to resign that maybe this was a by product of doing checkerboard with native full hd 3d. Frustrating to say the least. I mean it looked good but the ghosting really stood out, even my gal was irritated. Then a light bulb turned on in my head. I pulled up the source list and I renamed the HDMI 3 input(the only input you can do 3d with) from Blu Ray to PC. Bam! All ghosting gone, playback smooth as a buttersoft leather. Everything is clean and crisp. Did an endzone dance, the whole thing. Looks spectacular to say the least.

Ok those are my findings so far. As for the Xpands, worth every penny. The black levels and color are better than the Samsungs, plain and simple. On the plus side I can still use the Samsung glasses with the emitter while I use the Xpands, so not a total loss. The comfort of wearing them is worth it alone. Oh yeah when you use the PC name on the input, it is probably a good idea to throw up an overscan pattern to make sure the image is centered when you use the wide PC picture size and all will be good. You can adjust the size, horizontal and vertical position. So there you have, excellent 3d playback on a DLP. This weekend I am going to hook the player up to my buddy's 3d DLP that is 720p and see if it works.

If you have any questions, I will be happy to look into it.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 150 Old 04-13-2010, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Joel that sounds great! Didn't you say you normally watch 2D with your LED setting on low? What do you need to put it on for 3D and do you change any other settings in the many picture options. Does you 67" look as bright as the demos in the stores or brighter? Again, are you even aware of even thinking the resolution isn't as nice as with 2D? Would you say the 3D experience looks about the same or maybe even cleaner with DLP vs the LCD demos in stores now? (I haven't seen a plasma demo) If you have, how about that comparison?

How long is the demo disc and what kind of / how good is the stuff on it? The Panny players all come with them?

Thanks a bunch
post #33 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

Joel that sounds great! Didn't you say you normally watch 2D with your LED setting on low? What do you need to put it on for 3D and do you change any other settings in the many picture options. Does you 67" look as bright as the demos in the stores or brighter? Again, are you even aware of even thinking the resolution isn't as nice as with 2D? Would you say the 3D experience looks about the same or maybe even cleaner with DLP vs the LCD demos in stores now? (I haven't seen a plasma demo) If you have, how about that comparison?

How long is the demo disc and what kind of / how good is the stuff on it? The Panny players all come with them?

Thanks a bunch

I actually have my LED setting on Minimum and in the service menu I have the iris set to close to decrease the light output. Even in this case I feel the brightness is still fine even with the 3d on. Thats just me. As far as settings goes, I don't change anything and leave it on movie mode. Once the 3d has been engaged on the set, the only settings you can change are brightness and contrast, colorspace(which I leave on SRGB), picture position and blue mode. You can also toggle through the different picture modes, Dynamic, standard etc. The entertainment modes can be used too.

In my house it looks as good and vibrant as the displays in Best Buy. However the size of our screen is bigger so I would say we have the leg up. Once again as far as resolution loss, I am not seeing it. I guess the only the only thing is black level really. These sets contrast level is 10,000:1 so there is no comparison to the newer sets. They have better contrast. Still not a deal breaker.The colors are saturated. I remember reading an article someone in here posted about not being able to see resolution loss and the only way you could was to have a 3d resolution loss test pattern. So if this is only half 3d hd then I am fine with that. It looks damn good to me.

The demo disc is a little short of an hour but is definately loaded with great 3d videos that really showcase the format. It has Rome, Grand Canyon, Astro Boy, underwater stuff. Just cool stuff. I am not bored with it yet so hopefully it will tide me over until some discs come out. As for glasses, get the Xpands or Viewsonic. Dlp link is the way to go. Hope this helps. The Panasonic player works very well with our sets and can be intergrated quite easily into your existing home theater.

Cheers
post #34 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Still sounds great, thanks Joel. But wow we are on opposite sides of spectrum with how we set our Sammys up brightness wise. And yours is bigger by 6 inches already with same LED source. But then in my main theater I am happy with an RS25 / 8.5' wide 16x9 Hi Power combination. Outdoor scenes and sports need to have that punch for me.

Is there a link that has any pictures of the ExpanD x102 glasses you got? I have found but one and they are like "competition" orange or something. Do they have a variety of color options or black? Do you wear glasses too....just wondering as you seem to find them very comfortable. I don't think anyone has commented on having a set of the Viewsonics yet so no idea how those would feel, though they are less expensive and seem to look decent esthetically.
post #35 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 08:24 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:

Still sounds great, thanks Joel. But wow we are on opposite sides of spectrum with how we set our Sammys up brightness wise. And yours is bigger by 6 inches already with same LED source. But then in my main theater I am happy with an RS25 / 8.5' wide 16x9 Hi Power combination. Outdoor scenes and sports need to have that punch for me.

Is there a link that has any pictures of the ExpanD x102 glasses you got? I have found but one and they are like "competition" orange or something. Do they have a variety of color options or black? Do you wear glasses too....just wondering as you seem to find them very comfortable. I don't think anyone has commented on having a set of the Viewsonics yet so no idea how those would feel, though they are less expensive and seem to look decent esthetically.

http://www.xpandcinema.com/products/...dX102-home.pdf
post #36 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Super! Thanks Lee. So when you order from wherever you order them from, you are given a box to indicate what color from some kind of chart of options?

Are they now in stock and shipping from certain sites?

Do we know if they are different from the Viewsonics in any way "technically"? As the link PDF you provided says they are the brightest and "fastest" cycling.
post #37 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Thanks for the review, Joel. I'm looking forward to seeing a demo of a Mitsubishi Laservue in a couple of months. I was impressed by the nVidia display I saw on a regular Mits DLP set recently. I saw virtually no ghosting, so it gave me hope that DLP would be a good choice for minimizing the ghosting I've seen on the various 3D displays I've checked out. Since I've seen DLP, LCD and plasma now, I should have a good basis for comparison in terms of color, contrast and resolution.

Joe Clark

post #38 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 03:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel802 View Post

I pulled up the source list and I renamed the HDMI 3 input(the only input you can do 3d with) from Blu Ray to PC. Bam! All ghosting gone, playback smooth as a buttersoft leather. Everything is clean and crisp.

Why would just renaming the source make a difference?
post #39 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I know that is what it seems like he is saying in the post. But I believe he is actually changing the video type for the same physical connection.

I could be wrong, but this is a fairly common setting on displays.
post #40 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 03:40 PM

I'm trying to use the Xpand 102's with a Sammy BD C6900 into a Sammy 67A750. The 67A750 won't go into 3D Effect. Is this because the BD C6900 does not support checkerboard?
post #41 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Yes
post #42 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

First the simple stuff. Are you plugged into HDMI 3, did you press the tools button to enable the 3d manually etc?
post #43 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:

First the simple stuff. Are you plugged into HDMI 3, did you press the tools button to enable the 3d manually etc?

simple answer: yep

The 3D effect is skipped over as an option

I'm thinking the problem is the Sammy BD 6900

Hey....I even changed the label of the HDMI 3 to PC :-)
post #44 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ok what 3d disc are you using? Monsters vs Aliens or the Panasonic Demo disc? If you are not playing a 3d disc then the player won't kick into 3d mode at all. If the player doesn't kick into 3d mode then the tv will not allow you turn on the 3d mode. The players themselves do not have the capability to convert 2d material into 3d.

Cheers
post #45 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Super! Thanks Lee. So when you order from wherever you order them from, you are given a box to indicate what color from some kind of chart of options?

Are they now in stock and shipping from certain sites?

Do we know if they are different from the Viewsonics in any way "technically"? As the link PDF you provided says they are the brightest and "fastest" cycling.

They come only in one color that I know of, red. I know the X103s will be in a variety of colors. I guess they are out of stock online, but always keep checking Amazon and Provantage.
post #46 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Thanks for the review, Joel. I'm looking forward to seeing a demo of a Mitsubishi Laservue in a couple of months. I was impressed by the nVidia display I saw on a regular Mits DLP set recently. I saw virtually no ghosting, so it gave me hope that DLP would be a good choice for minimizing the ghosting I've seen on the various 3D displays I've checked out. Since I've seen DLP, LCD and plasma now, I should have a good basis for comparison in terms of color, contrast and resolution.

I hear you Joe. Having seen the LCD, Plasma, DLP and my LED DLP, I strongly feel I am lucky to have such a large screen size and a great 3d rendition. I had my kid brother over this afternoon to check it out. He has seen the Samsung LED at Best Buy and he says the DLP buries it. I can find no real faults with it. I will be taking some pictures of my glasses and the tv in action with the Panasonic player later on.

So please let me know how the Laservue fares with 3d. That is some interesting tech to say the least.

Cheers
post #47 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 07:00 PM

I just can not seem to locate the Panasonic player anywhere to purchase. It's ticking me off. I have the glasses and my Sammy DLP LED but can't find the player.
post #48 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:

Ok what 3d disc are you using? Monsters vs Aliens or the Panasonic Demo disc? If you are not playing a 3d disc then the player won't kick into 3d mode at all. If the player doesn't kick into 3d mode then the tv will not allow you turn on the 3d mode. The players themselves do not have the capability to convert 2d material into 3d.

Cheers

I'm playing an Imax 3D disc, not a BD disc. I assume now that's the problem.

By the way....don't the Xpand batteries look like they might be expensive? They are nothing like anything I've ever seen before. I think I might send the glasses back and go with the ViewSonic PGD-150's which have common batteries.
Thanks for your research, Joel.
post #49 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat68 View Post

I just can not seem to locate the Panasonic player anywhere to purchase. It's ticking me off. I have the glasses and my Sammy DLP LED but can't find the player.

You can go into any Best Buy that has a Magnolia in it and they will order them for you..

In my area, it will come in about three days.
post #50 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdon7230 View Post

I'm playing an Imax 3D disc, not a BD disc. I assume now that's the problem.

By the way....don't the Xpand batteries look like they might be expensive? They are nothing like anything I've ever seen before. I think I might send the glasses back and go with the ViewSonic PGD-150's which have common batteries.
Thanks for your research, Joel.

I thought the Samsung BDP couldn't be forced into checkerboard mode, hence it isn't compatible with the Samsung DLP''s... it's why the Panasonic is/will be the player of choice at this point.
post #51 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 11:23 PM

Isent that crazy? The samsung player isent compatable with the 3d samsung tvs, but the panisonic is. Samsung is already loosing money on 3d.
Mark
post #52 of 150 Old 04-15-2010, 03:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks for the news mate, nice to know the current Mitsus were "popping" at the store but like you said we won't see much content for a long while. Thinking about a Panny BD-65 and/or a new AVR to tidy up my cabling and hopefully make streaming Netflix look better with one of those VRS chips.

^ Our Sammy BDP is a glitchy mofo, they have been dropping the ball lately...

post #53 of 150 Old 04-15-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadmic View Post

Isent that crazy? The samsung player isent compatable with the 3d samsung tvs, but the panisonic is. Samsung is already loosing money on 3d.
Mark

i own a samsung 3d ready dlp and they are not going to be my next purchase choice just because of the way they have neglected to support their own products which would have been easy for them through their blue ray players.
post #54 of 150 Old 04-15-2010, 05:00 AM

Thanks for your efforts Joel. I have the Samsung 67a750 and feel like I lucked out. My decision to purchase it had nothing to do with 3D.
post #55 of 150 Old 04-15-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

simple answer: yep

The 3D effect is skipped over as an option

I'm thinking the problem is the Sammy BD 6900

Hey....I even changed the label of the HDMI 3 to PC :-)

Actually, you should still be able to turn the 3D Mode on in the display, as long as it's getting a 1080p60 signal. I do it all the time with my HTPC. I set the graphics card to 1080p60, turn on 3D Mode on the display, and then play something in 3D.

Of course, it's not going to work correctly if you don't send it a checkerboard signal, but regardless, you should still be able to turn it on.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #56 of 150 Old 04-15-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I thought the Samsung BDP couldn't be forced into checkerboard mode, hence it isn't compatible with the Samsung DLP''s... it's why the Panasonic is/will be the player of choice at this point.

I don't think that the inability of the Samsung BDP to produce checkerboard has been confirmed at this point. That's seems to be the theory, and it is not listed in the owner's manual, but to my knowledge no one has actually tried it yet. Joel came close last week, but only used the Panny at Best Buy.
post #57 of 150 Old 04-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Dual HDMI outputs are another huge plus in Panasonic's favor in my book. I doubt I'll be able to spring for a new AVR along with all the other necessary 3D hw upgrades.
post #58 of 150 Old 04-15-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Actually, you should still be able to turn the 3D Mode on in the display, as long as it's getting a 1080p60 signal. I do it all the time with my HTPC. I set the graphics card to 1080p60, turn on 3D Mode on the display, and then play something in 3D.

Of course, it's not going to work correctly if you don't send it a checkerboard signal, but regardless, you should still be able to turn it on.

Right, that's the problem. I wasn't sending it 1080P content. I wasn't using a Bluray DVD. I've order "My Bloody Valentine" in Bluray to test it.

Even then I'll still be waiting on the Mitsubishi adapter in order to convert it to checkerboard.
post #59 of 150 Old 04-15-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right, that's the problem. I wasn't sending it 1080P content. I wasn't using a Bluray DVD. I've order "My Bloody Valentine" in Bluray to test it.

Even then I'll still be waiting on the Mitsubishi adapter in order to convert it to checkerboard.

"My Bloody" isn't a 3D BR..... there aren't any available to purchase at this time....
post #60 of 150 Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I can't turn on mine either... even when feeding a 1080p signal.

I'll have to investigate more..
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page