3d Blu ray Players w/ DLP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 150 Old 04-06-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I went to Best Buy for a couple of things today. One to purchase The Natural on BD, to test my SSG-1000 3d glasses with the Samsung LED and to see if both the Samsung and the Panasonic 3d players output checkerboard. Well sadly I must report that the new 3d glasses operate differently and my glasses would not sync with the tv. I do find it interesting that if I cover the IR receiver on the new 3d glasses that they do not lose sync with the tv at all. I wonder if they are bluetooth or something. I got a chance to go into the menus of the two 3d blu ray players(Samsung/Panasonic) and both in fact support checkerboard. If I remember correctly when the 3d blu ray standard was announced they said the players would be display agnostic. Meaning that the players would be compatible with all 3d capable displays. I am sure Lee might be able to find that to confirm it. So as far as 3d blu ray the DLP crowd should have no problems. Now cable, satellite and the PS3 is the real mystery.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 150 Old 04-07-2010, 07:21 PM

Liked: 44
Joel:

I just looked through the 6900's User Manual. I found nothing that would lead me to believe you can change the 3D format output on this player to Checkerboard.

When looking at the LED 7000 3DTV, I did see under 3D Mode - a bunch of different selections, but they have some caveats attached to them:

“Side by Side” and “Top & Bottom” are available
when the resolution is 720p, 1080i and 1080p in
DTV, HDMI and USB mode or when set to PC
and the PC is connected through an HDMI/DVI
cable.

✎✎ “Vertical Strip”, “Line by Line” and “Checker
Board” are available when the resolution is set to
PC and the PC is connected through an HDMI/
DVI cable.

✎✎ “Frequency” displays the frequency (60Hz only)
when the resolution is set to PC.
post #3 of 150 Old 04-07-2010, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel802 View Post

I went to Best Buy for a couple of things today. One to purchase The Natural on BD, to test my SSG-1000 3d glasses with the Samsung LED and to see if both the Samsung and the Panasonic 3d players output checkerboard. Well sadly I must report that the new 3d glasses operate differently and my glasses would not sync with the tv. I do find it interesting that if I cover the IR receiver on the new 3d glasses that they do not lose sync with the tv at all. I wonder if they are bluetooth or something. I got a chance to go into the menus of the two 3d blu ray players(Samsung/Panasonic) and both in fact support checkerboard. If I remember correctly when the 3d blu ray standard was announced they said the players would be display agnostic. Meaning that the players would be compatible with all 3d capable displays. I am sure Lee might be able to find that to confirm it. So as far as 3d blu ray the DLP crowd should have no problems. Now cable, satellite and the PS3 is the real mystery.

Cheers

I don't agree with your take on the meaning of "Display Agnostic". The "display agnositic" statement about 3D sources, such as BD players, means the source will put out at least one of the mandatory 3D formats defined by the HDMI 1.4a spec. while the comformant 3D displays must then be able to accept any and all of the 3D formats declared as mandatory by the HDMI 1.4a spec. Thus the burden is on the 3D display and not the source to support multiple 3D formats. As a result no Blu-ray 3D player is required to support the checkerboard 3D format but if a given manufacture wants to include it along with the required (by the Blu-ray 3D spec.) Frame Packing full resolution 1080p/24 format then that's their choice. Also I'm not saying you are wrong on what the Samsung player menus says, but I see no indication in the owner's manual for the Samsung Blu-ray 3D player that it supports the non-mandatory (i.e., not the required format as per the Blu-ray 3D spec.) checkerboard format. Perhaps Samsung has added optional support for the checkerboard format with their recent firmware update and that's why its not mentioned in the manual. However until someone really tests this option using the Samsung and Panasonic Blu-ray 3D players connected to a 3D ready Samsung or Mits DLP rear projection TV we cannot be certain it actually works.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #4 of 150 Old 04-08-2010, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

The Panasonic menu had 3 options for 3d playback. Full HD, Side by Side and checkerboard. I don't remember Samsungs listing of options but it was there I can assure you. I tried to talk the guy in the Magnolia to hook up the Panasonic to the Mitsubishi 73". He said that he didn't want to disrupt other customers who wanted to check out the demo. I guess I don't blame him. I had my 3d emitter and glasses ready to go but it wasn't meant to be.
Oh well.

Cheers
post #5 of 150 Old 04-08-2010, 05:41 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

The Panasonic menu had 3 options for 3d playback. Full HD, Side by Side and checkerboard. I don't remember Samsungs listing of options but it was there I can assure you. I tried to talk the guy in the Magnolia to hook up the Panasonic to the Mitsubishi 73". He said that he didn't want to disrupt other customers who wanted to check out the demo. I guess I don't blame him. I had my 3d emitter and glasses ready to go but it wasn't meant to be.
Oh well.

Cheers

thanks for update.please let us know if you manage to get one to work on our dlps.
post #6 of 150 Old 04-08-2010, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I don't agree with your take on the meaning of "Display Agnostic". The "display agnositic" statement about 3D sources, such as BD players, means the source will put out at least one of the mandatory 3D formats defined by the HDMI 1.4a spec. while the comformant 3D displays must then be able to accept any and all of the 3D formats declared as mandatory by the HDMI 1.4a spec. Thus the burden is on the 3D display and not the source to support multiple 3D formats...

+1

I agree. Perhaps a better term then display agnostic would have been implementation agnostic. 3D players and displays must both conform to the format specification, but it is up to the display how the 3D effect is ultimately implemented.

Already we have seen two different approaches taken by the Samsung LCD/LEDs (240Hz w/ black frame insertion) and the Panasonic and Samsung Plasmas (120Hz). I believe LG has announced plans for a micro-polarized LCD display. Once front projectors begin to emerge, I'm sure we'll see a wealth of new approaches taken.
post #7 of 150 Old 04-08-2010, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe I misunderstood what they meant. I don't know.

Final 3-D Blu-ray Specification Announced
Posted December 17, 2009 05:48 AM by Juan Calonge

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) today announced the finalization and release of the Blu-ray 3D specification. It leverages the technical advantages of the BD format to deliver unmatched picture quality as well as uniformity and compatibility across the full range of Blu-ray 3D products, both hardware and software. The specification is also designed to allow the PS3 to play back Blu-ray 3D content in 3-D.

Notably, the specification allows every player and movie supporting it to deliver full HD 1080p resolution to each eye. Moreover, the specification is display agnostic, meaning that Blu-ray 3D products will deliver the 3-D image to any compatible 3-D display, regardless of whether that display uses LCD, plasma or other technology and regardless of what 3-D technology the display uses to deliver the image to the viewer's eyes.

I guess the only way of knowing is to hook it up to the display and see if it works.
post #8 of 150 Old 04-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Maybe I misunderstood what they meant. I don't know.

Final 3-D Blu-ray Specification Announced
Posted December 17, 2009 05:48 AM by Juan Calonge

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) today announced the finalization and release of the Blu-ray 3D specification. It leverages the technical advantages of the BD format to deliver unmatched picture quality as well as uniformity and compatibility across the full range of Blu-ray 3D products, both hardware and software. The specification is also designed to allow the PS3 to play back Blu-ray 3D content in 3-D.

Notably, the specification allows every player and movie supporting it to deliver full HD 1080p resolution to each eye. Moreover, the specification is display agnostic, meaning that Blu-ray 3D products will deliver the 3-D image to any compatible 3-D display, regardless of whether that display uses LCD, plasma or other technology and regardless of what 3-D technology the display uses to deliver the image to the viewer's eyes.

I guess the only way of knowing is to hook it up to the display and see if it works.

Joel, checkerboard is not one of the mandatory 3D formats. According to the HDMI spec, the mandatory formats are:

For movie content:
  • Frame Packing
    • 1080p @ 23.98/24Hz
For game content:
  • Frame Packing
    • 720p @ 50 or 59.94/60Hz
For broadcast content:
  • Side-by-Side Horizontal
    • 1080i @ 50 or 59.94/60Hz
  • Top-and-Bottom
    • 720p @ 50 or 59.94/60Hz
    • 1080p @ 23.97/24Hz

Furthermore:

* Displays - must support all mandatory formats.
* Sources - must support at least one mandatory format.
* Repeaters - must be able to pass through all mandatory formats.

Source.

Since checkerboard is not one of the mandatory formats, there is no guarantee that a given BD3D player will support it, although it appears that the first wave of players do.

Just because a legacy DLP RPTVs is advertised as "3D-ready", doesn't necessarily mean that its "readiness" complies with what the BDA refers to as a "compatible 3-D display". In fact, they don't comply since they don't support "all mandatory formats" as detailed in the HDMI spec.

Remember that these "3D-ready" displays were on the market for years before the BD3D and HDMI 1.4 specs were finalized.
post #9 of 150 Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I think we are getting confused with the specifications that a 3D BR player must meet in order to have the copywrited BR 3D logo on it and the specificatons requred for a display or TV must have to earn HDMI 1.4 certification from the HDMI test lap. 3D BR players are not required provide output IAW with the HDMI 1.4(a) mandatory or optional
formats. AFAIK the only format that is required by both is the dual frame packed 1080p buffer 3D format.
post #10 of 150 Old 04-08-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I went to Best Buy today and I brought my 3d glasses with emitter. I asked the Magnolia manager if we could hook up the Panasonic 3d blu player to the Mitsubishi DLP tv. I told him I had glasses and an emitter. He said why not and we hooked it up to the 82" Mitsubishi DLP. Selected the checkerboard format option on the player and turned on the 3d mode for the Mitsu. The player then performed a test with 2 squares with the numbers 1 and 2 in them to make sure the 3d mode was working properly. I synced the glasses. Bada bing, it was working. We fired up the demo disc and enjoyed the 3d glory. The manager and few others checked it out. Needless to say they were impressed. The manager said he thought the resolution loss would be noticeable but he couldn't find any fault with the image.

So I can attest that the Panasonic is completely compatible with the Mitsubishi 3d ready DLP and probably the Samsung DLP as well, even though I didn't test it to confirm it. I would have purchased the player then and there how ever I reminded myself that there is really no content out there and it would not be worth it at this time. It is nice to know the option is out there.

Cheers
post #11 of 150 Old 04-08-2010, 05:44 PM

Joel802:

I guess we owe you an apology. Very happy to see that you took the time and the effort to preform the test and that the test was successful.

Which shutter glasses and emitter did you bring with you?

Without the User Manual PDF, we are crawling around in the dark. Glad you set us straight.

Good job.
post #12 of 150 Old 04-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Wow! That's great news!! Did you try the Samsung 3D player as well?
post #13 of 150 Old 04-08-2010, 06:33 PM

Bravo nice work!!!!!
post #14 of 150 Old 04-08-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Ok I went to Best Buy today and I brought my 3d glasses with emitter. I asked the Magnolia manager if we could hook up the Panasonic 3d blu player to the Mitsubishi DLP tv. I told him I had glasses and an emitter. He said why not and we hooked it up to the 82" Mitsubishi DLP. Selected the checkerboard format option on the player and turned on the 3d mode for the Mitsu. The player then performed a test with 2 squares with the numbers 1 and 2 in them to make sure the 3d mode was working properly. I synced the glasses. Bada bing, it was working. We fired up the demo disc and enjoyed the 3d glory. The manager and few others checked it out. Needless to say they were impressed. The manager said he thought the resolution loss would be noticeable but he couldn't find any fault with the image.

So I can attest that the Panasonic is completely compatible with the Mitsubishi 3d ready DLP and probably the Samsung DLP as well, even though I didn't test it to confirm it. I would have purchased the player then and there how ever I reminded myself that there is really no content out there and it would not be worth it at this time. It is nice to know the option is out there.

Cheers

thanks a lot for taking the time to try it out.here is hoping the ps3 follows the same standards and we are on our way to enjoy 3d on the dlps.
post #15 of 150 Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

I used the Samsung SSG-1000 3d glasses with emitter. I didn't test with the Samsung 3d blu ray player. I knew I was pushing my luck by having them take the Panasonic demo offline to test, so I didn't ask if we could try the Samsung player. The Panasonic demo was literally 10 ft away from the Mitsu so it wasn't too much of a tall order. I am happy to report that everything performed beautifully. Screen size is definately a major factor as the display was so big and immersive. 3d will shine with a nice front projector, no doubt.
I am glad I brought my glasses with me, as I am away for work and my local Best Buy back home does not have the Panasonic equipment at all. Thankfully the Best Buy folks here in Akron, Ohio were very generous and let me do this test. Good to know that legacy DLP owners will be able to enjoy 3d bluray on their sets. I am glad I was able to help guys.

Cheers
post #16 of 150 Old 04-08-2010, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a MITs, WD-65835 TV. If I get a 3D BR Player do I need 3d glasses with emitter that go with the player or 3d glasses with emitter that go with my TV?
Thanks for the help.
Daniel
post #17 of 150 Old 04-08-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Murray View Post

I have a MITs, WD-65835 TV. If I get a 3D BR Player do I need 3d glasses with emitter that go with the player or 3d glasses with emitter that go with my TV?
Thanks for the help.
Daniel

You could use the XpanD X102 or ViewSonic DLP-Link glasses. Neither require an emitter. Just a question of finding them available.
post #18 of 150 Old 04-09-2010, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

I ordered the X102s from Amazon and just got the confirmation this morning that they have been shipped. I should get them sometime early next week. I will take photos of them and compare them to my Samsung SSG-1000 glasses. Which if I am not mistaken, I can still use those and the Xpands at the same time. Nice. I will report all my findings as soon as I get them. The price on them was $50 cheaper than what Xpand wanted for them so this was a homerun for me.

Cheers
post #19 of 150 Old 04-09-2010, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Wow, this is awesome news for the DLP crowd. Once more 3D Blu Ray movies become available, then a purchase of the Panasonic player wouldn't be such a bad idea. I wonder if any of the players will have a special mode where it can output checkerboard at 1360 x 768 resolution for the people with the older 3D Ready Samsung plasmas? I doubt it, but you never know...
post #20 of 150 Old 04-10-2010, 05:48 AM

What is the battery life of those glasses? are they rechargeable?
post #21 of 150 Old 04-10-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:

I used the Samsung SSG-1000 3d glasses with emitter. I didn't test with the Samsung 3d blu ray player. I knew I was pushing my luck by having them take the Panasonic demo offline to test, so I didn't ask if we could try the Samsung player. The Panasonic demo was literally 10 ft away from the Mitsu so it wasn't too much of a tall order. I am happy to report that everything performed beautifully. Screen size is definately a major factor as the display was so big and immersive. 3d will shine with a nice front projector, no doubt.
I am glad I brought my glasses with me, as I am away for work and my local Best Buy back home does not have the Panasonic equipment at all. Thankfully the Best Buy folks here in Akron, Ohio were very generous and let me do this test. Good to know that legacy DLP owners will be able to enjoy 3d bluray on their sets. I am glad I was able to help guys.

Cheers

THANKS !!!

Looks like 3D TV equipment will be readily available for the earlier Mits DLP's. We will just have to do a bit of "Homework" to insure we get the proper equipment.

Texas Instruments has 3D DLP info... including current updates.
T I's web site will be a good place to check on equipment compatability.
post #22 of 150 Old 04-12-2010, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

My gal bought me a Panasonic 3d blu ray player yesterday for my birthday. Granted it was an open box but never the less a thoughtful gift. I haven't hooked it up yet because I haven't received my Xpand glasses and my home theater is as we are getting new carpet this weekend. I will report all of my findings. I am using a Samsung 67A750 DLP. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers
post #23 of 150 Old 04-12-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:

My gal bought me a Panasonic 3d blu ray player yesterday for my birthday. Granted it was an open box but never the less a thoughtful gift. I haven't hooked it up yet because I haven't received my Xpand glasses and my home theater is as we are getting new carpet this weekend. I will report all of my findings. I am using a Samsung 67A750 DLP. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers

would appreciate any updates as you start using player and your xpand glasses with your tv.thanks
post #24 of 150 Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Joel, Does the Panasonic 3D BD player do 2D-3D conversion?

The store manager commented you said about being surprised he didn't notice the resolution "hit" as he had expected. How about you, being used to your Sammy? And lastly that mondo 82" Mitz apparently uses the same lamp as all the smaller sizes. Did you have any sense that it was not bright enough in 3D mode? That would bode well for smaller Mitz DLPs and probably the LED Sammy sets turned to High or Max on the LED light source, if normally watched on Med or lower.
post #25 of 150 Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 PM

Does the Panasonic 3d blu ray player have a demo disk or a movie with it? I believe I saw somewhere in the forum that they might be including Ice Age with it?
post #26 of 150 Old 04-13-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan M View Post

Does the Panasonic 3d blu ray player have a demo disk or a movie with it? I believe I saw somewhere in the forum that they might be including Ice Age with it?

The BDT300 ($399) comes with a demo disc. Rumor has it the BDT350 ($449) - to be released sometime this month - will have Ice Age 3 (3D BD) in the box.
post #27 of 150 Old 04-13-2010, 07:03 AM

Well I gotta say that is at least nice that maybe there is a way for a DLP RPTV Customer to get a blu ray 3d movie without doing something stupid like I saw on ebay...... I saw a copy of MvA went for $156 and some change..... I want 3D also but that person needs to get control.
post #28 of 150 Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan M View Post

Well I gotta say that is at least nice that maybe there is a way for a DLP RPTV Customer to get a blu ray 3d movie without doing something stupid like I saw on ebay...... I saw a copy of MvA went for $156 and some change..... I want 3D also but that person needs to get control.

$156!

LOL - It would have been smarter to buy a Samsung 3D Starter kit for $349 which includes MvA, then sell off the glasses for $140 each and have the 3D BD cost you $69
post #29 of 150 Old 04-13-2010, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I want 3D also but that person needs to get control.

This hobby has no control..

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #30 of 150 Old 04-13-2010, 07:31 AM

Lee I thought the same thing LOL and eddy your right but I am super excited about the 3D stuff and im not paying $156 dollars for a cartoon.....I can wait for MvA till it's no longer exclusive.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page