Samsung BD-C6900 issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 04-13-2010, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally got to try and watch the entire MVA movie last night. This would have been the first time I sit through an entire movie as I had to move the older CRT TV out of the way in order to do the permanent installation of the Samsung equipment. For some reason or another, the movie stops playing randomly during playback, the player acts as if somebody just pushed the STOP button and the Stop indicator (square light) on the top of the player blinks. I even disconnected the Anynet+ system thinking the TV was sending a stop signal, but it didn't make a difference. I'm in the latest firmware version. Has anybody else experienced this issue. There are no other IR emitters and I even put away all the remotes inside a drawer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Flickering standard or compact fluorsant lights can emit random IR especially if flickering.
Try coveing the IR receiver on the 6900 after you have it started with a piece of cardboard to be sure it is not getting a signal from some other source.
Faulty or older dimmer switches can cause interference over power lines so if you have any make sure they are off.
post #3 of 40 Old 04-13-2010, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

I repeated a test this morning with all lights off and it still did it about 43 minutes into the movie. The strange thing is the blinking "stop" button. I cannot reproduce that behavior by pressing the stop button on the remote, heck it wont even do it I press the stop button on the player. Interestingly enough, I placed my son's rubber placemat in front of the player and the IR signals still got through. It's like they bounce off the back wall behind my rack and are reflected into the the ir receiver. I'm going to try placing something around the front of the player to completely isolate the IR receiver, after I test the remote from all possible angles, I will give the movie another try to see if it does the same thing. I'm also going to try downgrading the player to version 1005.0 firmware from the current 1008.0 if the player will let me after I perform one last test with the IR sensor totally blocked.
post #4 of 40 Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Then is sounds like it may be some kind of interference?
How close to each other are the TV and the player?
Are they using the same ground connection?
Is the CRT TV turned off?
post #5 of 40 Old 04-13-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

The CRT TV is off the premises, so that is no longer an issue. The TV is about 6 feet away from the BD player. I have a pair of industrial equipment racks where everything is placed in rackmount shelves. They do share a common ground as they are both plugged into the same surge suppressor. The only other thing I can think of is some X10 equipment powerline stuff. I will remove it before my testing tonight just in case. I could also just put the DVD player inside a box with holes in the back for the power and HDMI cable, and hook up the dvd player to a triplite ISO bar, which is supposed to filter out all RFI noise from the the powerlines. What makes this difficult is that I cannot predict when the player will go into "stop" mode, but when it does happens, it happens within 45 mins of the movie. I also don't want to add a lot of things to the experiment as then it becomes that much more difficult to isolate the issue. But I agree, it seems interference is part of the problem. I was going to pick up a 2nd player at best buy today to see if the problem can be duplicated on it as well, but the closest best buys are both out of the player (though they claim they will get some toward the end of the week), so I will try my testing tonight with the X10 equipment removed and all flourescent lighting powered off and the IR receiver blocked to see if the player will play the whole movie. I even tested the movie this morning with the TV powered off (although it was on stand-by) and it still entered the "stop" mode.
post #6 of 40 Old 04-13-2010, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well it appears to be some sort of random interference. I moved the player to another room and was able to play through 2 movies including the aforementioned MVA without stop issues. So, time to start eliminating things until the problem clears up. I did not have the player connected to a 3d TV, but I don't think that matters as the player failed with the 3DTV off in one of my tests.
post #7 of 40 Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The surge supressor may not be properly connecting the ground pin.
You may need to get some kind of powerline interfearance prevention filter at Radio Shack for the player.
post #8 of 40 Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 AM

Liked: 44
If a grounding issue is suspect, then it is best to pick up one of these at a Lowe's or Home Depot to check the outlets in the home:

post #9 of 40 Old 04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Lee,
Could you please provide a link to the tester you show in the above post?
post #10 of 40 Old 04-14-2010, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

I will stop by on my way home tonight and look the tester up. Though how does the ground pin apply when the dvd player only uses a two pronged plug? I have a tripplite ISO Bar that is supposed to filter out all rfi/emi interference so we will see how it goes.
post #11 of 40 Old 04-14-2010, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmm, I have seen those dang Triplites cause this sort of thing saddly enough.
post #12 of 40 Old 04-14-2010, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The fact that the player's plug does not have a ground connection to me means that it would be more suseptible to interference over the power line not less.
post #13 of 40 Old 04-14-2010, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the ISObar fixed it. I plugged in the player to it and put on MVA and it played all the way through without issues. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, saved me a lot of headaches.
post #14 of 40 Old 04-14-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Lee,
Could you please provide a link to the tester you show in the above post?

electrical receptacle tester

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Receptacle_tester

You can buy one at Amazon for less than $4

If you are not sure of the wiring in your home - it is a must to own - if nothing more than peace of mind.
post #15 of 40 Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 PM

What is the difference between two- and three-pronged plugs?

Quote:

Let's start with what the holes in an outlet do. When you look at a normal 120-volt outlet in the United States, there are two vertical slots and then a round hole centered below them. The left slot is slightly larger than the right. The left slot is called "neutral," the right slot is called "hot" and the hole below them is called "ground." The prongs on a plug fit into these slots in the outlet.

Quote:

The ground slot and the neutral slot of an outlet are identical. That is, if you go back to the fuse box, you will find that the neutral and ground wires from all of the outlets go to the same place.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question110.htm
post #16 of 40 Old 04-15-2010, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

New updates for the TV's and BD player released today.

TV's
Firmware ver. 1017.0
2. Applicable Model
LED C7000 & 8000
3. Carrier or Corporate Customer
All Customer
4. Description
Enhanced picture quality of 3D

There's also a 1009.3 update for the bluray Player. BD-C6900 to address the netflix audio sync issues.

Ver 1009.3 : Apr. 15. 2010
1.Improve specific BD title''s playback capability.
2.improve problem out of sync in netflix
post #17 of 40 Old 04-27-2010, 07:22 AM

I seem to be having an issue with this Blu-ray player and my Onkyo TX-SR308 receiver. Has anyone experienced an issue with this Blu-ray player and TrueHD/dts-HD decoding on their receiver? When I set the player to Bitstream (audiophile) I get no sound from the main movie soundtrack, sound works fine in the menus and previews and such. The receiver doesn't display TrueHD or dts-HD on the screen to indicate it is doing the decoding, there is just nothing.

Sound works fine if set to PCM or Bitstream (re-encode). Other Blu-ray players work fine with the receiver, seems to be BD-C6900 specific.
post #18 of 40 Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKeithO View Post

I seem to be having an issue with this Blu-ray player and my Onkyo TX-SR308 receiver. Has anyone experienced an issue with this Blu-ray player and TrueHD/dts-HD decoding on their receiver? When I set the player to Bitstream (audiophile) I get no sound from the main movie soundtrack, sound works fine in the menus and previews and such. The receiver doesn't display TrueHD or dts-HD on the screen to indicate it is doing the decoding, there is just nothing.

Sound works fine if set to PCM or Bitstream (re-encode). Other Blu-ray players work fine with the receiver, seems to be BD-C6900 specific.

Same identical problem!
Ehi mate my last try: an 1.4 HDMI cable!
post #19 of 40 Old 04-27-2010, 08:08 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

When the movie begins, try cycling through the different audio tracks on the disc by pressing the audio button on the BD-C6900 remote. Sometimes all it takes is switching to one of the alternative tracks and then back to the lossless track. If you do this and the sound starts working then it sounds like this player suffers from the same thing that some of the LG BD player owners encountered with certain player-receiver combinations. There is no fix except to have the player decode the audio. Just some weird thing on how the player sends the bitstream. Good luck.
post #20 of 40 Old 04-27-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DU3C3 View Post

When the movie begins, try cycling through the different audio tracks on the disc by pressing the audio button on the BD-C6900 remote. Sometimes all it takes is switching to one of the alternative tracks and then back to the lossless track. If you do this and the sound starts working then it sounds like this player suffers from the same thing that some of the LG BD player owners encountered with certain player-receiver combinations. There is no fix except to have the player decode the audio. Just some weird thing on how the player sends the bitstream. Good luck.

Tried and failed...

I was playing around with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince last night. It has an english TrueHD track and a Spanish/French Dolby 5.1 tracks. I cycled through all of them and all I ended up getting was silence.

Interestingly enough the receiver gets stuck on Dobly II when the movie starts playing. It almost seems like the Bitstream doesn't ever get to the receiver. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to Blu-ray audio formats as I just jumped on the wagon, but it seems that the menu/preview audio is all in Dobly II and just the feature is TrueHD. For some reason the audio track doesn't seem to make it to the receiver when the movie starts.

It is a little maddening! Thanks for the tip anyway.
post #21 of 40 Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:

I have a BD-c6900 and an Integra DHC-80.1 and do not have this problem.
post #22 of 40 Old 04-28-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Tried and failed...

I was playing around with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince last night. It has an english TrueHD track and a Spanish/French Dolby 5.1 tracks. I cycled through all of them and all I ended up getting was silence.

Interestingly enough the receiver gets stuck on Dobly II when the movie starts playing. It almost seems like the Bitstream doesn't ever get to the receiver. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to Blu-ray audio formats as I just jumped on the wagon, but it seems that the menu/preview audio is all in Dobly II and just the feature is TrueHD. For some reason the audio track doesn't seem to make it to the receiver when the movie starts.

It is a little maddening! Thanks for the tip anyway.

Still sounds like a similar problem, since you get the lossless tracks when you have the player decode the audio. My advice is let the player decode the audio and enjoy the lossless sound. True your receiver's display won't light up, and some will argue that bitstream and LPCM are two different animals, but at least you will still get the benefit of the lossless track.
post #23 of 40 Old 04-28-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DU3C3 View Post

Still sounds like a similar problem, since you get the lossless tracks when you have the player decode the audio. My advice is let the player decode the audio and enjoy the lossless sound. True your receiver's display won't light up, and some will argue that bitstream and LPCM are two different animals, but at least you will still get the benefit of the lossless track.

Thanks The DU3C3. I really don't have much choice at this point. I tried out the Bitstream (re-encode) option on the player the other night and I can get the audio that way. For some reason the player doesn't want to Bitstream the audio straight to the receiver and have it do the decoding. I'm not too upset, at least I've still got the audio in a lossless format.

Reading over some of these treads it sounds like PCM is just as good as Bitstream. Like I said, I'm fairly new to the game so I'm not sure which I prefer. It would be nice to be able to test it out for myself. Fingers crossed for some firmware updates (looking at you Onkyo and Samsung!).
post #24 of 40 Old 05-15-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks The DU3C3. I really don't have much choice at this point. I tried out the Bitstream (re-encode) option on the player the other night and I can get the audio that way. For some reason the player doesn't want to Bitstream the audio straight to the receiver and have it do the decoding. I'm not too upset, at least I've still got the audio in a lossless format.

Reading over some of these treads it sounds like PCM is just as good as Bitstream. Like I said, I'm fairly new to the game so I'm not sure which I prefer. It would be nice to be able to test it out for myself. Fingers crossed for some firmware updates (looking at you Onkyo and Samsung!).

I have the same issue with C-6900 and onkyo 5300. I cannot bitstream DTS-HD to the reciever. It seems to be problem only with C-6900 . I tried other blu ray players and they work fine with reciever. Any of you guys have found fix for the issue?. I called samsung support and they said they havent heard abt the issue. Its clearly a C-6900 issue.
post #25 of 40 Old 05-19-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkidesh View Post

I called samsung support and they said they havent heard abt the issue. Its clearly a C-6900 issue.

They are full of ****. I've been dealing with Samsung since early April about this issue. They like to pretend that they don't know what is happening and that everything is working just fine, if only that were true.
post #26 of 40 Old 05-20-2010, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

My player was doing the random stop thing. I called abt to exchange it, you are well within your exchange period but first talk to our tech support, a samsung tech will need to look at it. They really gave me the run around. A new update came out since then and I changed the wall outlet. To say the least I haven't had any more issues. I would say to anyone having the random stop problem try plugging it into a different outlet.
post #27 of 40 Old 05-21-2010, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkidesh View Post

I have the same issue with C-6900 and onkyo 5300. I cannot bitstream DTS-HD to the reciever. It seems to be problem only with C-6900 . I tried other blu ray players and they work fine with reciever. Any of you guys have found fix for the issue?. I called samsung support and they said they havent heard abt the issue. Its clearly a C-6900 issue.

Hi,

Reading through these threads, I have a question about what would sound better with my Denon 3808ci? PCM or Bitstream (audiophile). I have no problem wiht either one of these settings. Just was wondering which would be the best way to go?

Thanks, Jerry
post #28 of 40 Old 08-13-2010, 05:44 AM

Help Please....

I connected my 6900 to my LN46C750 last night and have issues. The Apps worked and the wireless internet worked. However, whenever I try to play a 3D Blu, Blu, or DVD I get the message "Cannot load this disc, please check the disc". Anyone know of a fix for this or what is causing it?
post #29 of 40 Old 08-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboyztn View Post

Help Please....

I connected my 6900 to my LN46C750 last night and have issues. The Apps worked and the wireless internet worked. However, whenever I try to play a 3D Blu, Blu, or DVD I get the message "Cannot load this disc, please check the disc". Anyone know of a fix for this or what is causing it?

See if there is a firmware update. Another user here said one was released August 5th.
post #30 of 40 Old 08-28-2010, 05:16 AM

Hey, I'm also the lucky recipient of a new 6900 that is doing everything nicely except playing a disc. I've updated firmware, I've done a reset holding down the stop button for 5 seconds, tried a 3D BluRay, BluRay and DVD and same result on each. "Cannot load this disc. Please check the disc."

After first getting a new TV delivered with a cracked screen, then getting a replacement, then waiting a couple of months for the BluRay to finally come via redemption, customer experience is at an all time high.

Any luck in solving this so I can watch a 3D film only 10 weeks on since buying it?
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page