ATI or Nvidea Graphics Card for 3D Blu-Ray Movies? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-30-2010, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There have been a few threads on the subject, but they have usually digressed into talking about general Pros/Cons of 3D movies.

I am building a new HTPC for playing Blu-Ray 3D and I am trying to decide which Graphics Card to purchase for this purpose. Displays will be LCD monitor to start and later a 3D Projector when available. Of course, I will also need the appropriate active shutter glasses.

If I understand correctly, the latest 10.3 ATI drivers support 3D active shutter Glasses and 3D compatible displays?

Does this mean that the ATI and NVidea graphics cards will support the same Glasses and Displays?

To turn this around;
1. Granted that I will need some Glasses that will work both with a 3D compatible LCD display and a 3D compatible projector, which Glasses could I use for this?
2. Can those Glasses and Displays be used with Graphics cards from either ATI or NVidea?
3. Which card would be "best" for watching 3D blue-ray movies (no gaming)?

p.s. Sorry for double posting this over at the HTPC forum. However, this forum is probably more suitable because of a better understanding of the rapidly emerging 3DTV technologies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-01-2010, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just from outside appearances (not technical) it seems nVidia has the edge in regards to 3D. In fact I don't think ATI even makes a 3D kit for PCs like the nVidia 3D vision. I would be interesting in hearing the differences in the 3D technical differences between the two.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #3 of 18 Old 05-01-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

Just from outside appearances (not technical) it seems nVidia has the edge in regards to 3D. In fact I don't think ATI even makes a 3D kit for PCs like the nVidia 3D vision. I would be interesting in hearing the differences in the 3D technical differences between the two.

Indeed. Some basic question would be:

Forgetting about the Projector for the moment and focus on LCD displays;

1. Would either card, together with Cyberlink's PowerDVD 10, support LCD displays (with 120 Hz refresh rate)?
2. Would the cards support the same Glasses or would different Glasses be needed?

Adding the Projector or a 3D TV to the mix:
3. In addition to PowerDVD10, there is the new Nvidia specific(?) 3DTV Play software: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_TV_play.html
I believe that the purpose of this software is only to enable a connection to an HDMI 1.4 compatible device (e.g. 3D TV or upcoming projectors). However, it may not be needed for LCD displays??
4. When connecting to an HDMI 1.4 compatible device, versus LCD display, would there be different requirements of the video card? I think that "dual-link" is needed? Does ATI even have this?
post #4 of 18 Old 05-01-2010, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure even the latest 3DTVs support 120hz input that something like the nVidia 3D Vision kit require to work.

I know that if the software can present a side by side output then any of the existing video cards or 3DTVs will work. But for Full HD 3D, it needs to output a different kind of signal and that is where things get hazy. The video card is really important if you want to decode in the GPU since 3D Blu-ray uses MVC, and I don't believe either ATI or nVidia are doing that yet.

I guess the real question is which support 1920x2205 at 24p? Because is that is the signal that 3DTVs expect via HDMI from 3D Blu-ray.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #5 of 18 Old 05-01-2010, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The newer video cards have firmware support for decoding H.264 content which is what both 2D and 3Ds actual video content is encoded in. AFAIK none of them have hardware support for creating the second 1080p/24 buffer from the MVC 2D+Delta 3D full HD 3D BR encoded disk. It is the job of the player software such as PowerDVD10 Ultra 3D to do that.
Yes, the Nvidia 3DTV player which is a superset of the older Nvidia 3D player is specifically designed to send 3D formats, such as 1080p packed buffer format, in accordance with the HDMI 1.4a standards to a 3D TV or in the future to PJs that have HDMI 1.4 receiver chips.
I have not yet seen a report that the couple of 120Hz PC monitors that are now available to support 3D PC games using the older Nvidia 3D player kit will also properly display 3D video from TV or 3D BR correctly since they use a dual link DVI interface to receive the 120fps content.
Yes, most DVI graphic cards only use 12 of the 24 pins in the DVI interface and therfore only support single link transfers.
It is the 3D TV that is controlling the glases not the PC.
With the older Nvidia 3D player it is the Nvidia software and emitter that is controlling the glases.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-01-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Am I understanding correctly; Is there currently no way to use a PC Blu-ray player, proper video card, PowerDVD10, shutter glasses and an LCD Monitor (120Hz; not 3DTV) to watch Blu-ray 3D Movies? Not even in "low" resolution?
post #7 of 18 Old 05-01-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrande View Post

Am I understanding correctly; Is there currently no way to use a PC Blu-ray player, proper video card, PowerDVD10, shutter glasses and an LCD Monitor (120Hz; not 3DTV) to watch Blu-ray 3D Movies? Not even in "low" resolution?

If I had a 3d blue ray movie here I would test it for you
post #8 of 18 Old 05-02-2010, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

At least Nvidea has demonstrated a solution for playing 3D Blu-ray movies using a video card such as the GT-240 (~$80), the Acer GD235HZbid 24" 3D display (~$400) and Nvidia glasses:
http://hothardware.com/News/NVIDIA-D...-On-3D-Vision/
Not sure what software was used to play (maybe a beta version of PowerDVD10)?

So the question if something similar can be achieved with an ATI video card, or if Nvidea is the only solution (at the moment)?
post #9 of 18 Old 05-02-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

No, it currently isn't possible to play a 3D Blu-ray disc on a PC, but since you can't buy any 3D Blu-ray discs yet, it isn't a big deal. I'm sure PowerDVD 10 will receive its 3D upgrade by the time the first 3D disc hits retail.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #10 of 18 Old 05-02-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrande View Post

At least Nvidea has demonstrated a solution for playing 3D Blu-ray movies using a video card such as the GT-240 (~$80), the Acer GD235HZbid 24" 3D display (~$400) and Nvidia glasses:
http://hothardware.com/News/NVIDIA-D...-On-3D-Vision/
Not sure what software was used to play (maybe a beta version of PowerDVD10)?

So the question if something similar can be achieved with an ATI video card, or if Nvidea is the only solution (at the moment)?

will not work with anything other than Nvidia Geforce-based videocard. Nvidia pretty much has 3d tied up at least for now.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 AM

Liked: 14
Look at this article to where PC's are headed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ater,2636.html
post #12 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
PowerDVD will work with both nvidia and ATI graphics cards.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #13 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have not seen that stated anywhere yet and since the PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D Blu ray player option is not yet released I am not sure that you are correct.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 06:17 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

I have not seen that stated anywhere yet and since the PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D Blu ray player option is not yet released I am not sure that you are correct.

Posted by CyberlinkUSA :

Yes, ATI video cards are compatible with Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 Ultra Mark II. When it comes to the question of hardware accelerated decoding, ATI has not yet announced their specific support plans and schedule for this, but they are most definitely working on it, and they did say that a solution can be expected for Radeon 5000 series graphics in the future. With respect to support for HDMI 1.4 output, all I am able to say at this point is that ATI will support HDMI 1.4 in the future.

Yes, we support DLP projectors.

Tom
post #15 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I sometimes wonder why these questions are even asked. We all know that the graphics card market is split between nvidia and ATI, but does anyone really believe that one of them would totally ignore a major feature?

And didn't AMD showcase 3D at CES (though not under their name)?

I don't quite get why people would believe AMD wouldn't support 3D, especially seeing that they added direct API access for 3D in Catalyst 10.3.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #16 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 09:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 103
AMD said at CES that they would support 3D Blu-ray playback. I've read reports from both ATI and nVidia that confirm this. Sorry, no links. Google is your friend.

Joe Clark

post #17 of 18 Old 05-22-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Since HDMI 1.4 chips are backward compatible with previous relases such as HDMI 1.3 I certainly expect that we will start seing graphic cards with 1.4 transmitter chips instead of 1.3b transmitter chips within the next year.

Yes ATI cards currently support 3D blu-ray playback but the current ATI chips do not have as much hardware accelearation for 3D blu-ray as some of the current Nviidia chips so more of the decoding has to be done in software. I expect the next generation of ATI chips to actually have more hadware acceleration support for 3D BR decoding then the current Nvidia chips
post #18 of 18 Old 11-26-2013, 05:09 PM

I built my comp for the same use. I picked up a 3D ready Benq MX711 projector which plays 2 types of 3D ( Top Bottom aka OU , and frame sequential ) I ran into problems trying to hook up a 3D blue ray player to it due to different HDMI inputs. Power DVD By cyberlink fixed the problem so I can now play 3D blue ray discs through computer although it can only be done in 720p the 3D is awesome and a 100" screen at 11' I am very happy.

Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page