Question about 3D blu ray disc player with my denon receiver. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-21-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a noob and want to ask all of you for some professional answers!

Current Equipment:

SAMSUNG PN50C8000
DENON RECEIVER 4310CI
OPPO Blu Ray PLayer
PS3

Here are some of my questions:

1. What happen if i play a blu ray movie with the oppo? Will it work? If it does, I assume it will not be the best quality, right?

2. In order to get the best quality on 3d blu ray? Do I need to get another receiver that suports hdmi 1.4?

3. I read that PS3 can watch full 1080p 3d with a fimware update? but i read it on cnet that PS3 wont be able to do full 1080p 3D since it does not support 1.4?

4. What is the most inexpensive way to make the 3D 1080p work?

5. I also read that panasonic has a blu ray disc player that has 2 hdmi output(one to the tv for picture and one to the receiver.) That will fix my problem? but does it matter what 3d glasses i buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-22-2010, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
1. A 3D Blu-ray disc in your 2D player will play in 2D.
2. A dual HDMI output player would solve that issue. But, I'd say no, even if you had to runt he BD plyaer directly to the display and use optical for audio direct to the AVR.
3. Sony is standing on the fact this is going to work, nobody will really know till it works or doesn't. To properly support the 3D Blu-ray spec it is going to have to.
4. DLP Link Glasses, a 720p 3D ready projector, and an HTPC to drive it.
5. The glasses are display dependent. You need to buy glasses compatible with your display.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-22-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypeber View Post

Current Equipment:

SAMSUNG PN50C8000
DENON RECEIVER 4310CI
OPPO Blu Ray PLayer
PS3

1. What happen if i play a blu ray movie with the oppo? Will it work? If it does, I assume it will not be the best quality, right?

2. In order to get the best quality on 3d blu ray? Do I need to get another receiver that suports hdmi 1.4?

3. I read that PS3 can watch full 1080p 3d with a fimware update? but i read it on cnet that PS3 wont be able to do full 1080p 3D since it does not support 1.4?

5. I also read that panasonic has a blu ray disc player that has 2 hdmi output(one to the tv for picture and one to the receiver.) That will fix my problem? but does it matter what 3d glasses i buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

1. A 3D Blu-ray disc in your 2D player will play in 2D.
2. A dual HDMI output player would solve that issue. But, I'd say no, even if you had to runt he BD plyaer directly to the display and use optical for audio direct to the AVR.
3. Sony is standing on the fact this is going to work, nobody will really know till it works or doesn't. To properly support the 3D Blu-ray spec it is going to have to.
4. DLP Link Glasses, a 720p 3D ready projector, and an HTPC to drive it.
5. The glasses are display dependent. You need to buy glasses compatible with your display

4. - The PS3 with the firmware update does in fact support the essential 3D subset of the HDMI 1.4 features required by the specifications for all Blu-ray 3D players and HDMI. This has been made clear both by Sony and the Blu-ray Disc Association and updated PS3s have been used for playing 3D Blu-rays at full 1080p/24 (per eye) resolution at some Sony Style Stores.

5. - For most people a Mitsubishi 1080p 3D-ready DLP rear projection TV -RPTV is the most practical and cost effective solution. I suggest this instead of the suggested 720p front projector since with that alternative you would also need buy a screen then probably do work on the room to be able to reduce ambient light as well an run new wiring. Also that solution would only work with a PC as the 3D video source as it is not compatable with any standalone Blu-ray 3D player, any 3D enable satellite or cable TV box. However, with my recommended Mits DLP RPTV solution you would also need one of their new $99 3D adapters or $399 3D starter kits (includes adapter, two pairs of LCD shutter glasses, emitter, demo 3D disc and a HDMI cable). With this setup you will be compatilble not only with any Blu-ray 3D player but also with Directv and Cable Company 3D channels/boxes (i.e., much more "future proof".

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #4 of 10 Old 06-22-2010, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

[snip]...4. What is the most inexpensive way to make the 3D 1080p work? ...[snip]

Quote:

[snip]...4. DLP Link Glasses, a 720p 3D ready projector, and an HTPC to drive it...[snip]

How is a 720P projector a solution to a 1080P question?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #5 of 10 Old 06-22-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Current Equipment:

SAMSUNG PN50C8000
DENON RECEIVER 4310CI
OPPO Blu Ray PLayer
PS3

As stated above by JOHNnDENVER , it will play the 3D Blu-ray in 2D.

Quote:

For the best quality sound, yes. Word is, HDMI 1.3 receivers won't pass 3D, therefore Hi Def sound is a moot point. With your PS3, you can bypass your AVR and run HDMI to a display for 3D, and the separate audio output to your receiver, which also means no lossless audio formats will be sent to the AVR.

Quote:

3D is only one part of the HDMI 1.4 spec. The PS3 will handle the 3D part with a firmware upgrade.

Quote:

A used Mitsubishi 3D ready TV with the soon to be available adapter, or the cheapest 2010 3DTV you can find, along with bypassing the AVR as noted above, using your PS3 as the 3D source.

Quote:

This will fix your AVR problem mentioned in Number 2., but will be an additional cost and ignore the capability of your PS3. It might make more sense to purchase a 1.4 AVR as it will switch sources for you as well, enabling you to use a 3D cable or dish box.

The glasses you buy depend solely on the TV. Presently, manufacturers have their own proprietary types, but XpanD is releasing "universal" glasses soon, the X103s. Their X102s are DLP-Link, and work with DLPs w/o an emitter.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #6 of 10 Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

How is a 720P projector a solution to a 1080P question?

It works, you didn't say it couldn't be scaled. If you throw the PS3 into the equation, this solution does NOT work. I admit. You have to play Blu-ray media from the blu-ray drive in the PC. Same could really be said for the Mitsu TV's too when true resolution is taken into account, but that solution should work with the PS3.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-23-2010, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

As stated above by JOHNnDENVER , it will play the 3D Blu-ray in 2D.

For the best quality sound, yes. Word is, HDMI 1.3 receivers won't pass 3D, therefore Hi Def sound is a moot point. With your PS3, you can bypass your AVR and run HDMI to a display for 3D, and the separate audio output to your receiver, which also means no lossless audio formats will be sent to the AVR.

Thx For all your inputs! I just want to make sure I get what you guys mean: So with PS3 update, I can watch 3d in 1080p through my 1.3 AVR to my 3d tv right? How do i separate the audio from the ps3 when a hdmi transfer video and sound? Do i use optical, but will my receiver know what format it is(ex. DTS or Dolby?)

Also did ps3 release that update yet? I know the current update has something to do with 3d. Is this the one?

upport for stereoscopic 3D games

Stereoscopic 3D games are now supported.

* As of April 22, 2010, there are no stereoscopic 3D games available for the PlayStation®3 system. The release schedules for stereoscopic 3D games will be announced later.
* Use an HDMI cable.to connect the PS3™ system to a TV that supports stereoscopic 3D display.
* If the TV in use supports stereoscopic 3D display, the screen from which you can set the TV's screen size will be displayed when adjusting the video output settings. Follow the on-screen instructions to adjust the settings.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-23-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Typically you would need to run optical for audio and the HDMI directly to the display if your AVR is 1.3 HDMI.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-23-2010, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Typically you would need to run optical for audio and the HDMI directly to the display if your AVR is 1.3 HDMI.

will my receiver still be able to detect the sound format?
post #10 of 10 Old 06-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

will my receiver still be able to detect the sound format?

yes. Optical (TOSLINK) will max at 5.1 DTS though.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page