Has anybody tried the Sony 3D Blu Ray players? (BDP-S570 and BDP-BX57) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 84 Old 09-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm also curious to hear from anyone who's using the Sonys for SACD playback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 Old 09-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalter0 View Post

I've watched Grand Canyon, MvA, Cloudy wcmb, and, don't forget: Goldberg Variations(my favorite and available on the open market).

Thanks. Any faves so far in terms of 3D "wow factor"?
post #33 of 84 Old 09-23-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 145
So, it appears that the Sony S470 is the best "Bang for your Buck" 3D BD player? I'm thinking of picking one of these up to use as my 3D BD player instead of using the PS3 as the 3D BD player. With PS3 I won't get any lossless sound.
post #34 of 84 Old 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

So, it appears that the Sony S470 is the best "Bang for your Buck" 3D BD player? I'm thinking of picking one of these up to use as my 3D BD player instead of using the PS3 as the 3D BD player. With PS3 I won't get any lossless sound.

Yes, I think so but there are collateral issues depending upon your receiver and display situation. The Panasonics outputting checkerboard might tip the scale in favor of those players depending upon your display. The Panasonics also have dual HDMI outputs, which might be attractive if you have a non-HDMI receiver.
post #35 of 84 Old 09-23-2010, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

The Panasonics also have dual HDMI outputs, which might be attractive if you have a non-HDMI receiver.

Yeah, but don't their players cost $400 or more? The Sony S470 can be had for $150.

My receiver is not 3D compatible, so dual hdmi outputs would be really nice, but there is no way that I'm paying an extra $250 just to get another hdmi output. Monoprice has a hdmi repeater/splitter that would probably do the trick. I think they are about $65 shipped.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Plus, I would be able to use that splitter for other 3D devices like with the PS3 for PS3 games. Some PS3 games are 3D with lossless sound, and I can't play them in 3D with lossless sound right now, because my AVR doesn't support it.
post #36 of 84 Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:

Yeah, but don't their players cost $400 or more? The Sony S470 can be had for $150.

My receiver is not 3D compatible, so dual hdmi outputs would be really nice, but there is no way that I'm paying an extra $250 just to get another hdmi output. Monoprice has a hdmi repeater/splitter that would probably do the trick. I think they are about $65 shipped.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Plus, I would be able to use that splitter for other 3D devices like with the PS3 for PS3 games. Some PS3 games are 3D with lossless sound, and I can't play them in 3D with lossless sound right now, because my AVR doesn't support it.

I don't see how a repeater will work. All it does it duplicate the original signal so you now have 2 (or more) originals which contain the 3D BD frame packed signal.

You really need one of the Panasonic BDT 3D BD players (300/350) or the new Samsung C7900 which removes the 3D video signal so only the lossless audio goes out the second HDMI output.

AFAIK, there is no STB/repeater that will do this yet.
post #37 of 84 Old 09-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Random interesting bits I just realized: although announced at 2010 CES, it looks like Sony never released the S770? Also, it looks like the same year Sony decided to do across the board support for SACD in their BD players, they dropped analog 5./7.1 outputs from their players, too.

Anthony: Of course if cost is a big concern, the Sonys are less expensive. But I'm seeing prices closer to $300 for at least the BDT300. Interestingly, the 350 is showing as discontinued in a few places already.

I think Lee S. is making some excellent points that I was about to get into also: You'll need to suss out any HDMI 1.4 issues very closely before buying a splitter/switcher. For instance, that Monoprice link says that unit is 1.3b. It's not my understanding that's gonna pass a 3D video signal.

Also, although I don't entirely understand what is happening and why, you may wanna check out this guy's experience with attempted splitter use and message him for more details:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/3d-blu-ray-...ml#post3641291
post #38 of 84 Old 09-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

On third thought and just to clarify, I think a splitter could work, just one that's 1.4a. 3D BD player with one HDMI output ---> 1.4a compliant splitter creating two (or more) identical A/V signals. Connect one to the 3D display and one to the receiver which, although would need to be 1.4a compliant to pass video, can still accept and decode the lossless audio codecs even if it's not 1.4a. Yes?
post #39 of 84 Old 09-23-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:

On third thought and just to clarify, I think a splitter could work, just one that's 1.4a. 3D BD player with one HDMI output ---> 1.4a compliant splitter creating two (or more) identical A/V signals. Connect one to the 3D display and one to the receiver which, although would need to be 1.4a compliant to pass video, can still accept and decode the lossless audio codecs even if it's not 1.4a. Yes?

If you have a 3D 1.4a complaint AVR, there would be no need for a splitter.
post #40 of 84 Old 09-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Right, I understand that, but he said . . .

Quote:

My receiver is not 3D compatible . . .

. . . which I assume to mean that his AVR is not 1.4a.
post #41 of 84 Old 09-23-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Right, I understand that, but he said . . .

. . . which I assume to mean that his AVR is not 1.4a.

His AVR is 1.3 as stated. A 1.4a splitter still doesn't seperate the lossless audio from the 3D BD frame packed video like the specially equipped Panasonic and Samsung 3D BD players do
post #42 of 84 Old 09-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Ah okay. I surmised (incorrectly) that an HDMI device could still discern those parts of a signal that are compliant with a previous iteration of that spec. In other words, if the 1.4a spec largely contemplates the 3D video portion of the signal, the 1.3 (or earlier) compliant audio content of that same signal would still pass through/be separately recognizable. Eventually I'll get over to plowing through that 3D FAQ thread you've referred me to. There's just too much to read . . . CEDIA announcements . . . new Oppo player . . .
post #43 of 84 Old 09-23-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Ah okay. I surmised (incorrectly) that an HDMI device could still discern those parts of a signal that are compliant with a previous iteration of that spec. In other words, if the 1.4a spec largely contemplates the 3D video portion of the signal, the 1.3 (or earlier) compliant audio content of that same signal would still pass through/be separately recognizable. Eventually I'll get over to plowing through that 3D FAQ thread you've referred me to. There's just too much to read . . . CEDIA announcements . . . new Oppo player . . .

It just got harder . . .

Download no longer available:

High-Definition Multimedia Interface

Specification Version 1.4 and 1.4a

Extraction of 3D Signaling Portion

These two still work though.

DEG Technology Committee 3D White Paper

http://www.dvdinformation.com/pdfs/D...aper_FINAL.pdf

OpenCable Specifications

Content Encoding Profiles 3.0 Specification

OC-SP-CEP3.0-I01-100827

http://www.cablelabs.com/specificati...I01-100827.pdf
post #44 of 84 Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
You don't need a so called HDMI 1.4 splitter since HDMI 1.4a 3D formats do not use the extra wire in the HDMI 1.4 spec used for Ethernet over HDMI. See:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/tra..._logo_pub.aspx.

Since the HDMI 1.4a SbS and TnB 3D formats use standard 1080i or 720p 2D HD frames a receiver that can extract audio from these HD frame formats can also extract audio for the 3D SbS and TnB frames.
post #45 of 84 Old 09-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

. . . a receiver that can extract audio from these HD frame formats can also extract audio for the 3D SbS and TnB frames.

In other words, a 1.3 receiver??

On another note, in looking at page 31 of the manual for the S470 online, I note it says the "Audio material side on DualDiscs" is listed amongst "Discs that cannot be played" (near bottom right-hand corner of the page).

I'm aware that the design of DualDiscs--two separate discs bonded together resulting in a slightly greater thickness overall--caused enough concern for some manufacturers to issue disclaimers regarding their playback. Technically the CD side isn't a CD as it doesn't conform with the Redbook specification. But this is the first time I've seen one SIDE of a DualDisc called unplayable (as opposed to a general caveat about playing them at all, especially in slot loading players).

I surmise this is a "CYA" gesture on Sony's part but I'd like to hear from anyone who has any DualDiscs and is (or isn't?) playing them on any of these Sony BD players.
post #46 of 84 Old 09-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Anthony, here's a practical, brief, accessible explanation from a first-hand Panasonic BDT350 owner of how the dual HDMI outputs on that player work (and how what you can set it to do is likely different than what functionality you might get using one of the Sonys and a splitter/switcher):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19235811
post #47 of 84 Old 10-08-2010, 07:49 AM

I have a BDP Bx57 hooked up through a Pioneer Elite VSX 82TXS receiver. I have having an issue with the picture on the DVD player turning off resetting then turning back on again. I don't have this issue with anything else going through the Pioneer just the Sony player.

Can someone give me some trouble shooting steps or know or have seen this issue before.

Thanks for the help.
post #48 of 84 Old 10-11-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Random interesting bits I just realized: although announced at 2010 CES, it looks like Sony never released the S770? Also, it looks like the same year Sony decided to do across the board support for SACD in their BD players, they dropped analog 5./7.1 outputs from their players, too.

There is an s770 but I haven't found one in Canada yet:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1271069

There is also an s1700ES but it's even more elusive. I should be similar but hopefully adds discrete analog outs.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #49 of 84 Old 10-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Thx, AVFile. Interesting that, according to a poster in that thread, at least one AV writer hadn't done a S770 review yet because he was sussing out whether the 770 was just a 570 in a different case (with a lighted remote and 1G on onboard storage).

Quote:

I surmise this is a "CYA" gesture on Sony's part but I'd like to hear from anyone who has any DualDiscs and is (or isn't?) playing them on any of these Sony BD players.

Responding to my own query in case anybody else cares: I took a couple of Duals to a Magnolia Home Theater and they spun up fine in an S470, 570 and 770.
post #50 of 84 Old 10-16-2010, 11:43 PM

Liked: 11
Does S470 has HDMI 1.4a? Strangely, sonystyle says its 1.3:

Dolby® : Yes & Dolby® TrueHD bitstream out over HDMI (V1.3)
post #51 of 84 Old 10-26-2010, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

A quick question for everyone with the S570.

I just bought a Panasonic 65" VT25 and it came with a Panasonic BDT100. I hear it is slow, but the video is very good. My problem is that I run HDMI to the TV and the audio out to my Proc. However, my proc has 1 Optical input which I use for our TIVOHD. It also has 4 COAX inputs. No HDMI. Anyway, I can get an optical to coax adapter but was wondering if I should ask the store if I can get the Sony S570 instead. I see some talk about the different 3D formats (was not aware of this) and the Sony may not be HDMI 1.4. Should I care, and is the Sony better than the panny? That may be a stupid question on this Sony thread but wanted your thoughts. I assume that the Sony will output audio over the coax at the same time the video is sent via HDMI. I know lossless is not available on the optical/coax outputs.

TIA
post #52 of 84 Old 10-27-2010, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsnplr View Post

I have a BDP Bx57 hooked up through a Pioneer Elite VSX 82TXS receiver. I have having an issue with the picture on the DVD player turning off resetting then turning back on again. I don't have this issue with anything else going through the Pioneer just the Sony player.

Can someone give me some trouble shooting steps or know or have seen this issue before.

Thanks for the help.

Did you get your issue sorted? What do you have 1080p/24 set to in the BD player (you said "DVD" but I assume you mean BD)?
post #53 of 84 Old 10-27-2010, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by max90034 View Post

Does S470 has HDMI 1.4a? Strangely, sonystyle says its 1.3:

Dolby® : Yes & Dolby® TrueHD bitstream out over HDMI (V1.3)

I think that's an unfortunate bit of confusion around the high rez audio codecs only requiring 1.3 for non-3D BD playback. Or maybe it's a function of the player having originally shipped as "3D-ready." But yeah the 470 has to be able to transmit the 1.4a 3D signal since it is a 3D-capable player (after the firmware upgrade).
post #54 of 84 Old 10-27-2010, 01:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

However, my proc has 1 Optical input which I use for our TIVOHD. It also has 4 COAX inputs. No HDMI. Anyway, I can get an optical to coax adapter . . .

I'm confused. Why not just connect whichever player to one of your processor's optical inputs?

Quote:

. . . but was wondering if I should ask the store if I can get the Sony S570 instead.

You got a Panasonic player with a Panasonic display purchase because that's a Panasonic promotion. I'd be surprised if that dealer has the latitude to somehow give you a Sony player instead of the BDT100.
post #55 of 84 Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm confused. Why not just connect whichever player to one of your processor's optical inputs?

You got a Panasonic player with a Panasonic display purchase because that's a Panasonic promotion. I'd be surprised if that dealer has the latitude to somehow give you a Sony player instead of the BDT100.

...because my Proc has only ONE optical and it is being used for the TIVO. It has 4 COAX and I use 3 of them. One of the COAX inputs is for the current Panny BR player that has optical AND Coax. The BDT100 has Optical only so I need 2 optical...1 for TIVOHD and the other for the 3D Panny. I am going to see what the store says about the Sony as I have not opened the BDT100 yet! I would assume that the current S570 has the firmware for 3D, etc. Perhaps that one shipped that way.
post #56 of 84 Old 10-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...because my Proc has only ONE optical and it is being used for the TIVO. It has 4 COAX and I use 3 of them. One of the COAX inputs is for the current Panny BR player that has optical AND Coax. The BDT100 has Optical only so I need 2 optical...1 for TIVOHD and the other for the 3D Panny. I am going to see what the store says about the Sony as I have not opened the BDT100 yet! I would assume that the current S570 has the firmware for 3D, etc. Perhaps that one shipped that way.

Oh, "my bad": When I said ". . . connect whichever player to one of your processor's optical inputs," I meant coaxial. And I only now understand that the BDT100 surprisingly lacks coax digital out (wow--the race to the bottom in terms of (flimsy) build quality and (diminishing) connectivity options amongst many of the major BD player manufs continues).

I wouldn't assume that an S570 already has the 3D upgrade. It will depend upon the player's date of manufacture.
post #57 of 84 Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, "my bad": When I said ". . . connect whichever player to one of your processor's optical inputs," I meant coaxial. And I only now understand that the BDT100 surprisingly lacks coax digital out (wow--the race to the bottom in terms of (flimsy) build quality and (diminishing) connectivity options amongst many of the major BD player manufs continues).

I wouldn't assume that an S570 already has the 3D upgrade. It will depend upon the player's date of manufacture.

OK, but at least, I believe, that the update happens when you connect. I will use a wired connection!

Also, I can not believe how many models all of these Manufacturers are selling now. Anyway, I see HDMI 1.4 cables that use #30 wire. I assume that is OK for 2 meter runs and that they will work even in HDMI 1.3 devices.

Thanks again
post #58 of 84 Old 10-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK, but at least, I believe, that the update happens when you connect. I will use a wired connection!

Someone with first-hand experience will hopefully chime in, but I'd like to think that the player will prompt/ask you whether you want to upgrade firmware and not just automatically do so when connected to the Internet. I may be spoiled by the Oppo BDP-83 but that deck even enabled you to turn off automatic firmware updates.

This may be important given that at least one owner in the S470 thread has experienced significant problems after upgrading to the latest firmware (M04.R.708), issued after the 3D upgrade (which I think was M04.R.588).

I for one plan to upgrade only as recent as necessary to get 3D enabled and nothing further unless and until I experience some playback issues.
post #59 of 84 Old 10-27-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Someone with first-hand experience will hopefully chime in, but I'd like to think that the player will prompt/ask you whether you want to upgrade firmware and not just automatically do so when connected to the Internet. I may be spoiled by the Oppo BDP-83 but that deck even enabled you to turn off automatic firmware updates.

This may be important given that at least one owner in the S470 thread has experienced significant problems after upgrading to the latest firmware (M04.R.708), issued after the 3D upgrade (which I think was M04.R.588).

I for one plan to upgrade only as recent as necessary to get 3D enabled and nothing further unless and until I experience some playback issues.

I hear you. While not online, I had to use a CD, I was always careful when updating the old Panasonic BD30...same issue, some updates were not that good.
post #60 of 84 Old 10-28-2010, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

Did anyone save the 588 fw? It appears that that would be the only way to upgrade only to that since doing an upgrade via player connection to the Internet would be 708, the only fw listed at the Sony site right now.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page