Has anybody tried the Sony 3D Blu Ray players? (BDP-S570 and BDP-BX57) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 84 Old 10-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

I'm confused. Why not just connect whichever player to one of your processor's optical inputs?

You got a Panasonic player with a Panasonic display purchase because that's a Panasonic promotion. I'd be surprised if that dealer has the latitude to somehow give you a Sony player instead of the BDT100.

This was similar to when I bought on Tuesday my Samsung 50 3d tv at Best Buy that came with Samsung bd player which I do not like. They let me return the bd player after they rang it up and get the Sony S570 and pay the difference.

Ian B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 84 Old 10-28-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Did anyone save the 588 fw? It appears that that would be the only way to upgrade only to that since doing an upgrade via player connection to the Internet would be 708, the only fw listed at the Sony site right now.

Well, I did get the S570. It is still in the box as the TV will not be here 'til Nov 19th. Anyway, I can see what my F/W is. I am not sure if there is a way to save it FROM the S570. Are you saying that if my NEW S570 is at a certain level I should leave it alone and not update to M04.R.708? What should I use as a minimum...the 588 you mention? Also, I know my Panny would not let you downgrade FW. Do you know if Sony will allow it if you had the file?
post #63 of 84 Old 10-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post

This was similar to when I bought on Tuesday my Samsung 50 3d tv at Best Buy that came with Samsung bd player which I do not like. They let me return the bd player after they rang it up and get the Sony S570 and pay the difference.

Crafty/trippy sweet. I guess that still registers as a sale, which makes that retailer look good to their promotional partner. And you get the player you want more.

If that's a qualifying set, you should now be eligible to print the voucher at the Samsung site to submit your proof of purchase and maybe get either Ice Age 3 or maybe even one or more of the Shreks.
post #64 of 84 Old 10-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

Anyway, I can see what my F/W is.

Did you mean "can't"?

Quote:

I am not sure if there is a way to save it FROM the S570.

I'd think not.

Quote:

Are you saying that if my NEW S570 is at a certain level I should leave it alone and not update to M04.R.708?

Yup. Unless and until you encounter a BD title that gives you problems. Just my opinion.

Quote:

What should I use as a minimum...the 588 you mention?

Yeah, since it's my understanding that that's the one that enabled 3D which is (one of) the main reason(s) you're getting the player, yesh?

Quote:

Also, I know my Panny would not let you downgrade FW. Do you know if Sony will allow it if you had the file?

I'd like to think so but it may display a message saying something to the tune of 'Your player already has a firmware more recent than the one you're attempting to upgrade to.'

But the first issue is getting one's hands on fw older than the sole option available at Sony's eSupport site . . .
post #65 of 84 Old 10-28-2010, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I can look when I get the TV and Sony set up. IF the F/W is 588 I will leave it alone. The store said that only the initial S570's they had were not ready for 3D out of the box, so perhaps mine has 588. Panasonic also said, years ago, that if you are not having any issues with the player to leave it alone. ANYONE can do that!
post #66 of 84 Old 10-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

You don't have a little LCD or old 4x3 still banging around that you can use to hook up the player via composite or S vid just to peep the fw version now?

I strongly suspect that a 570 you get these days is going to have a fw even more recent than the April 588 3D upgrade. I guess it depends upon how quickly the place you bought the player has been selling through inventory and getting replenished.
post #67 of 84 Old 10-28-2010, 06:51 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
From what I saw this is a good 3D player.

W. Jeff Meier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #68 of 84 Old 10-28-2010, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

From what I saw this is a good 3D player.

Great as it will go well with our P65VT25 due in a few weeks! It is to replace our Qualia 006! :-(
post #69 of 84 Old 10-28-2010, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You don't have a little LCD or old 4x3 still banging around that you can use to hook up the player via composite or S vid just to peep the fw version now?

I strongly suspect that a 570 you get these days is going to have a fw even more recent than the April 588 3D upgrade. I guess it depends upon how quickly the place you bought the player has been selling through inventory and getting replenished.

Yes...BUT...we are not getting the new TV it is going with 'til mid November so I can just wait.
post #70 of 84 Old 10-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Crafty/trippy sweet. I guess that still registers as a sale, which makes that retailer look good to their promotional partner. And you get the player you want more.

If that's a qualifying set, you should now be eligible to print the voucher at the Samsung site to submit your proof of purchase and maybe get either Ice Age 3 or maybe even one or more of the Shreks.

I just mentioned to the BB sales guy and he was the one who told me that after he rang it up, he would take me to customer service with the Sony blu ray player and exchange it.

By the way, what is the Samsung website for the voucher? I already sent a voucher for HTTYD that came in the starter kit. The other 3d movie is an IMAX trilogy of documentaries.

Thanks,

Ian B
post #71 of 84 Old 10-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post

By the way, what is the Samsung website for the voucher? I already sent a voucher for HTTYD that came in the starter kit. The other 3d movie is an IMAX trilogy of documentaries.

I mispoke/stand corrected on a couple of fronts: Ice Age 3 is Fox so that's tied to a Panasonic bundle.

I think you've already redeemed what you're eligible for via the display purchase: the display got you the player and the starter kit, right? And the redemption instructions and coupon for HTTYD were in the kit, yes? According to this, the Shrek promotion doesn't begin until November 14.
post #72 of 84 Old 12-04-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello ALL:

Well, I did connect the S570 to our new 3D TV and it shows F/W ver 588. It says, of course, that there is an update. So, should I still keep 588 or is the new F/W now OK?
post #73 of 84 Old 12-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

I think you really have to decide for yourself if the (visceral?) appeal of being on the latest fw is worth it. Sorry to be one of the few respondents and repeating myself but, again, if you're not having any issues why not leave it alone--since you're already 3D-capable--until a disc presents an issue? I'm now up and running in 3D on a 470 with M04.R.708, but it's largely because I couldn't just get up to 588 and stop (the network took me from I think 491 straight to 708). And then my first full-length spin last night was a 2D title from a year ago (the new encode of Gladiator).

If my BD player experience is any indication (I'm on my fourth player since 2006), it is the new BDs with tweaked authoring that necessitate firmware upgrades. In other words, if you're not a new release hound, being on the latest firmware at all times is less important IMO. I personally have learned that waiting about six months after new fw goes live and keeping an eye on your respective player's owners' thread to see if any guys are having issues is a good strategy. But then again, that approach was largely forged by my Oppo experiences with their doing beta firmware releases for some owners. I had 2 Panasonics before that--so this is my first Sony and maybe their m.o. might be different.

Again, you're asking for input on making what is largely an I think personal choice.
post #74 of 84 Old 12-05-2010, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you really have to decide for yourself if the (visceral?) appeal of being on the latest fw is worth it. Sorry to be one of the few respondents and repeating myself but, again, if you're not having any issues why not leave it alone--since you're already 3D-capable--until a disc presents an issue? I'm now up and running in 3D on a 470 with M04.R.708, but it's largely because I couldn't just get up to 588 and stop (the network took me from I think 491 straight to 708). And then my first full-length spin last night was a 2D title from a year ago (the new encode of the U.K. Gladiator).

If my BD player experience is any indication (I'm on my fourth player since 2006), it is the new BDs with tweaked authoring that necessitate firmware upgrades. In other words, if you're not a new release hound, being on the latest firmware at all times is less important IMO. I personally have learned that waiting about six months after new fw goes live and keeping an eye on your respective player's owners' thread to see if any guys are having issues is a good strategy. But then again, that approach was largely forged by my Oppo experiences with their doing beta firmware releases for some owners. I had 2 Panasonics before that--so this is my first Sony and maybe their m.o. might be different.

Again, you're asking for input on making what is largely an I think personal choice.

Well, so far, so good. I had a BR panny from a few years ago and did wait 'til others tried new F/W first.
post #75 of 84 Old 01-13-2011, 12:56 PM

I picked up a Sony BDP-S570 that was on sale for $190 at BB a month ago, and found, last week, that it dropped to $150. I have no problems with the player, and play 3D and my Blu-rays GREAT. I moved up from a BDP-S560 and the only complaints are that I miss the blue ambient light on the S560 and the S570 just looks too cheap to me. I like the size, but the front panel is definately not great looking; clean, but VERY cheap. No complaints with function though.
post #76 of 84 Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 AM

I got the S570 free with my 3D tv, which oddly is a panasonic.. but whatever, it has Wifi while the dmp-bdt100 doesn't. So yay! I've played about 5 or 6 3D blu-rays and they all look great. No major ghosting or any real problems on any of the discs, plus now I can program the S570 to my harmony remote with out having to buy some adapter for the PS3.

Seems like a great player so far, I'm very happy with it.
post #77 of 84 Old 03-07-2011, 09:44 AM

Bought two of the S470's. Paid about $98 each at amazon. Did the software upgrade and both play 3D beautifully.
post #78 of 84 Old 05-08-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Strange issue happening with only 1 BR-DVD so far. I have had this player for about 5-6 months now with no issues. At one point I updated the F/W so I would not have to see the messages any more about it being available. All has worked fine.

Last night we loaded a Netflix BR and started watching and all was, again, OK but it had a strange audio issue. All I ever got on my Processor was PL2 THX. The movie XXX: State of the Union had 5.1 DD in the previews, but the movie itself would NOT get out of the PL2 mode. As I said I have never seen this before, and tried several BR's that I have and they are all fine. I would blame this on the Netflix Disk, but it does work on my other Panasonic 3D player. I am connected to TV with HDMI and Audio is Coax. The settings reflect this and, as I said, all other disks work. Has anyone heard of this before and is there a setting in the S570 that I should change? I "Think" I have the latest F/W.

TIA
post #79 of 84 Old 05-08-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Not to talk to myself here but I fixed it after I searched for the problem. I set BD Audio Mix to OFF. It never mattered before, but am I loosing anything by doing that? Since I go from the S570 to Proc via Coax, I assume that is what I should have had all along. I do see that with it on that it will mix any secondary audio, like commentary which is in PL2 I guess, so it has no choice to default to that setting for the whole disk. That is why the previews were in 5.1. Anyway, in my case I will leave it off...unmixed!
post #80 of 84 Old 05-09-2011, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Search the thread for Secondary Audio and you'll find that these issues have been discussed at length. Briefly re what you're "missing": You're not going to get menu audio and--depending upon how the disc is authored--commentary tracks with SA turned off. (A couple random points: The commentary track is not encoded in PL2. It is very likely stereo and your processor is applying PL2 processing to it. Also, you mentioned that your audio connection is coax. You understand you're not getting any high rez audio, right?)
post #81 of 84 Old 05-09-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Search the thread for Secondary Audio and you'll find that these issues have been discussed at length. Briefly re what you're "missing": You're not going to get menu audio and--depending upon how the disc is authored--commentary tracks with SA turned off. (A couple random points: The commentary track is not encoded in PL2. It is very likely stereo and your processor is applying PL2 processing to it. Also, you mentioned that your audio connection is coax. You understand you're not getting any high rez audio, right?)
Well, we just don't watch with commentary and I do not need the beeps when I select menu items, so I am OK. As far as Coax not giving me high res audio goes, I am aware of that. However, my proc is an older Meridian 568 and does not have the lossless features, only DD and DTS. I can use the S570, but my proc does not have analog 5.1 inputs. I would consider a new proc, but the audio quality of the Meridian is very hard to beat!
post #82 of 84 Old 05-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Correction re "Search the thread for Secondary Audio . . .": I meant search the (much larger) Sony 2010 BD player owners' thread.
post #83 of 84 Old 06-15-2011, 03:38 AM

I have the S570 and S470. I love it no problems. I control both players with my iPhone or iPad. My harmony is broke I pulled the entire port out so can't add new devices. Bummer.
post #84 of 84 Old 06-17-2011, 06:46 AM

I have the Sony BX57. 2D and 3D work great. No problems.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page