Has anybody tried the Sony 3D Blu Ray players? (BDP-S570 and BDP-BX57) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 84 Old 06-21-2010, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Just wondering if anybody has tried these out yet. You can get them pretty darn cheap. Supposedly they are 3D ready, and they just need a firmware update and they are good to go, and I think the 3D firmware has been released. I'm thinking of trying one, but wanted to hear from somebody that actually has one of these first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 06-22-2010, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the Sony s470(3d ready) for $169; works great, but haven't tried it on 3d yet.
post #3 of 84 Old 06-22-2010, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I wish they'd just release the PS3 firmware update so I won't be tempted to pick up one of these with the 3D blurays starting to come out.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #4 of 84 Old 06-22-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

I wish they'd just release the PS3 firmware update so I won't be tempted to pick up one of these with the 3D blurays starting to come out.

Unless you're willing to wait till October or November, you probably should buy one of these "cheapo" 3D players from Sony. The firmware update is available now, as far as I'm aware, so you can get one now, and start enjoying it now. That one player that costs $169 wouldn't be too bad. Just use the thing until the PS3 finally gets the update, and then sell it used for $99. Sure, you take a $70 loss on it, but at least you get to watch 3D Blu Ray's way before November.

I seriously would be shocked if that 3D firmware update comes anytime before November. They are holding that firmware update back on purpose, so that we have to run out and buy their cheapo 3D Blu Ray players, and then they get to squeeze an extra $170 to $230 out of us. I'll admit that they are probably going to squeeze the extra $170 out of me, and I'll just sell the player when the PS3 firmware finally does come along, and I know I'll likely take a $70 loss on it, but I don't really have any other options if I want to enjoy 3D Blu Ray prior to November.
post #5 of 84 Old 06-22-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Good to see that corporate conspiracy theories have not gone out of style.

Given any thought to the fact that there is virtually no 3D content available to purchase?

No need to rush out firmware when there is nothing to play. Doing this only leads to problems when content providers change things at the last minute, leaving the firmware to need upgrading.

Sony is one of the few content providers and hardware manufacturers. I'm sure they want to make sure their installed base of equipment works seemlessly with their software products.

99.9% of the people won't have either the sets, or the players to even use 3D. Those that have the equipment will still be somewhat selective about the titles they buy. Personally, other than demoing 3D.
post #6 of 84 Old 06-24-2010, 06:33 AM

I have the BDP-S570 and in general I like it. I don't have any 3D content yet, but it was pretty cheap, and has lots of extras. I've used Netflix on it, and a few of the other internet features.

I have a PlayOn server, which can stream content (Hulu, etc.) to my Xbox 360. The BDP-S570 sees the PlayOn server on my network, and I can drill down to select the same videos, but at the moment I'm getting an error when I try to play them. Haven't had time to investigate (just got the gear yesterday) but I will start by updating PlayOn.

Anyway, it's my first Blu-ray player, but it seems fairly snappy and the quality (judged from the new Star Trek movie) seems great. One thing I like is that in most cases when you select a command (say, Netflix) and decide to cancel, it actually cancels right away. You don't have to wait for the feature to load and then back out.

Did I mention it has a ton of extras? Maybe 20 internet 'channels' (i.e. YouTube, Amazon, Epicurious, etc.) in all. Oh, and the WiFi (I have 802.11n with WEP enabled) works great.
post #7 of 84 Old 06-24-2010, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Good to see that corporate conspiracy theories have not gone out of style.

Given any thought to the fact that there is virtually no 3D content available to purchase?

No need to rush out firmware when there is nothing to play.

Your logic is flawed. Ok, first of all, if Sony isn't go to push the firmware thru because of a lack of content, then why did they push it thru already for their "3D Ready" standalone Blu Ray players?

Sony has already released Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, so anybody that buys one of their "3D Ready" Blu Ray players, can hook their player up to the internet, get the firmware upgrade, and start watching Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs in 3D. It doesn't make any logical sense for them to not push the firmware to the PS3 as well, unless.... unless.... they are hoping to force the desperate to run out and buy one of their 3D ready standalones, which is something that I'm likely to do in the very near future.

If Sony was going to wait for more content to be available, then they wouldn't have already made the firmware available to their standalones.

Consider the firmware update for the 3D games on the PS3. Sony could have pushed that out as soon as the very first Samsung 2010 model 3D TV was available, which I think was in late March or something. But they didn't. Why? Because "they" didn't have any 3D TV's currently for sale. Why would they release their firmware before they could benefit from people buying "their" tv's? Of course, the second they had a 3D tv to sell to the public, then the firmware just magically appears. Gee... a conspiracy, or straight up capitalism?
post #8 of 84 Old 06-24-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Your logic is flawed. Ok, first of all, if Sony isn't go to push the firmware thru because of a lack of content, then why did they push it thru already for their "3D Ready" standalone Blu Ray players?

Sony has already released Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, so anybody that buys one of their "3D Ready" Blu Ray players, can hook their player up to the internet, get the firmware upgrade, and start watching Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs in 3D. It doesn't make any logical sense for them to not push the firmware to the PS3 as well, unless.... unless.... they are hoping to force the desperate to run out and buy one of their 3D ready standalones, which is something that I'm likely to do in the very near future.

If Sony was going to wait for more content to be available, then they wouldn't have already made the firmware available to their standalones.

Consider the firmware update for the 3D games on the PS3. Sony could have pushed that out as soon as the very first Samsung 2010 model 3D TV was available, which I think was in late March or something. But they didn't. Why? Because "they" didn't have any 3D TV's currently for sale. Why would they release their firmware before they could benefit from people buying "their" tv's? Of course, the second they had a 3D tv to sell to the public, then the firmware just magically appears. Gee... a conspiracy, or straight up capitalism?

Well, you're well crafted argument has convinced me!

It is all a big corporate conspiracy.

I'm now suspecting that the 1950's film makers that produced 3D content back in that era were systematically killed off to keep 3D under wraps until the transistor could be developed, which would in turn allow the current crop of TV sets and disc players.

No wonder we stopped seeing 3D content.

Need to sign off now to put the aluminum foil over the windows. They can read your thoughts you know, and I don't want a Sony truck pulling up outside my house anytime soon.
post #9 of 84 Old 06-24-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Well, you're well crafted argument has convinced me!

It is all a big corporate conspiracy.

I'm now suspecting that the 1950's film makers that produced 3D content back in that era were systematically killed off to keep 3D under wraps until the transistor could be developed, which would in turn allow the current crop of TV sets and disc players.

No wonder we stopped seeing 3D content.

Need to sign off now to put the aluminum foil over the windows. They can read your thoughts you know, and I don't want a Sony truck pulling up outside my house anytime soon.

Very Funny.

Look, this isn't a Roswell conspiracy or anything like that. This is Sony doing what Sony does. Sony isn't going to do anything that doesn't specifically benefit them. Right now, they are holding back the 3D Blu Ray firmware update from the PS3 for "some" specific reason, that we aren't privy to. There are a number of possibilities as to why they are doing this.

The most logical, is that they know that idiots like myself, are too impatient to wait all the way until November to get 3D Blu Ray support. They also know, that idiots like me, who already own a "potential" 3D Blu Ray player, aren't going to run out and spend $450 on the Panasonic or $400 on the Samsung or whatever. We are going to look for the cheapest option, as a stop-gap solution, just to hold us over till November.

If this is indeed their strategy, then it's working, because it's going to get me to run out and buy one of their $169.99 or $179.99 players, just because I'm too darned impatient to wait around for November or December, for this firmware update to come down the pipe.

Their strategy might have nothing to do with what I'm suggesting, but whatever it is, they are holding it back deliberately, because it benefits them in some way. Maybe they will be releasing a certain 3DTV model, that will be bundled with a PS3 system, and some 3D Blu Ray movies, and they aren't going to push that firmware thru, until the bundle is ready to be sold? Who knows.
post #10 of 84 Old 06-24-2010, 02:56 PM

Liked: 44
Anthony:

It may just be a case of the programming involved with the Cell BE in the PS3. 720x60P frame packed uses less resources than 1080x24P frame packed does.

There is no Cell BE in their 3D SAL BD players. They use an SoC.
post #11 of 84 Old 06-24-2010, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very Funny.

Look, this isn't a Roswell conspiracy or anything like that. This is Sony doing what Sony does. Sony isn't going to do anything that doesn't specifically benefit them. Right now, they are holding back the 3D Blu Ray firmware update from the PS3 for "some" specific reason, that we aren't privy to. There are a number of possibilities as to why they are doing this.

The most logical, is that they know that idiots like myself, are too impatient to wait all the way until November to get 3D Blu Ray support. They also know, that idiots like me, who already own a "potential" 3D Blu Ray player, aren't going to run out and spend $450 on the Panasonic or $400 on the Samsung or whatever. We are going to look for the cheapest option, as a stop-gap solution, just to hold us over till November.

If this is indeed their strategy, then it's working, because it's going to get me to run out and buy one of their $169.99 or $179.99 players, just because I'm too darned impatient to wait around for November or December, for this firmware update to come down the pipe.

Their strategy might have nothing to do with what I'm suggesting, but whatever it is, they are holding it back deliberately, because it benefits them in some way. Maybe they will be releasing a certain 3DTV model, that will be bundled with a PS3 system, and some 3D Blu Ray movies, and they aren't going to push that firmware thru, until the bundle is ready to be sold? Who knows.

I was with you until I read both Sony and strategy in the same note.

If Sony had a strategy, it would be to make money on their electronics business. Recently, that strategy has proven to be beyond them.
post #12 of 84 Old 06-24-2010, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Anthony:

It may just be a case of the programming involved with the Cell BE in the PS3. 720x60P frame packed uses less resources than 1080x24P frame packed does.

There is no Cell BE in their 3D SAL BD players. They use an SoC.

Actually I would suggest that the processing is similar for decoding frame packed 1080p/24 vs 720p/60. The total decoded bits per second is actually a little more for 720p/60 as compared to 1080p/24. We know that Sony already has developed the BD 1080p/24 firmware since it has been demo'ed at some Sony Style stores. At this point it appears the firmware release date is just a marketing decision. I think it will be timed to be available by the time Sony Pictures has a few Blu-ray 3D discs available at retail (their 1st title was just released). I, for one, did not pay to see in the theater any of the movies currently available on Blu-ray 3D nor would I purchase the disc (I don't care for animated features). It looks like it's still several months (actually more like 1st half of 2011) before we will start to see any significant availability of Blu-ray 3D releases in the retail distribution chain. While some people have speculated the Blu-ray 3D firmware update for the PS3 will not be released to the public until November, I suspect we could see it as early as August or Sept. by which time Sony Pictures may have a couple of additional Blu-ray 3D movies available, i.e., perhaps timed for the release of Resident Evil: Afterlife in September. In fact we may see a PS3 console bundled with a 3D movie being released around the same time.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #13 of 84 Old 06-25-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Very Funny.

I'm about to run out and do this as well. Can anyone verify that the cheap "3D Ready" players have the necessary firmware update to enable 3D playback?

I'm sure as hell not waiting until November. When the PS3 activates, this will become the family bluray player in the den.
post #14 of 84 Old 06-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Sony is sending out a 3d firmware disc for my $ 169(Beach camera) s470. You can also download the firmware directly from the internet.
post #15 of 84 Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Actually I would suggest that the processing is similar for decoding frame packed 1080p/24 vs 720p/60. The total decoded bits per second is actually a little more for 720p/60 as compared to 1080p/24. We know that Sony already has developed the BD 1080p/24 firmware since it has been demo'ed at some Sony Style stores. At this point it appears the firmware release date is just a marketing decision. I think it will be timed to be available by the time Sony Pictures has a few Blu-ray 3D discs available at retail (their 1st title was just released). I, for one, did not pay to see in the theater any of the movies currently available on Blu-ray 3D nor would I purchase the disc (I don't care for animated features). It looks like it's still several months (actually more like 1st half of 2011) before we will start to see any significant availability of Blu-ray 3D releases in the retail distribution chain. While some people have speculated the Blu-ray 3D firmware update for the PS3 will not be released to the public until November, I suspect we could see it as early as August or Sept. by which time Sony Pictures may have a couple of additional Blu-ray 3D movies available, i.e., perhaps timed for the release of Resident Evil: Afterlife in September. In fact we may see a PS3 console bundled with a 3D movie being released around the same time.

Keep in mind that you are working with AVC-MVC. Both L & R views are not on the disc. There is some interpolation going on to create the second view some of the time - about 50%.

From what we know, Sony has mentioned two other titles they will release on 3D BD; Monster House and Open Season. So that is a total of three 3D BD titles. They have already released four 3D game titles for the PS3. How many more will be released in say the next 4 months?

Sony may feel that the attraction of 3D games may be far greater to consumers than 3D movies. If you look at how both genres are performing in the marketplace, you can agree with them.

Sony wants and needs to sell 3DTVs. THAT is their main goal. It sure isn't selling sub $200 3D BD players.
post #16 of 84 Old 06-25-2010, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Keep in mind that you are working with AVC-MVC. Both L & R views are not on the disc. There is some interpolation going on to create the second view some of the time - about 50%.

From what we know, Sony has mentioned two other titles they will release on 3D BD; Monster House and Open Season. So that is a total of three 3D BD titles. They have already released four 3D game titles for the PS3. How many more will be released in say the next 4 months?

Sony may feel that the attraction of 3D games may be far greater to consumers than 3D movies. If you look at how both genres are performing in the marketplace, you can agree with them.

Sony wants and needs to sell 3DTVs. THAT is their main goal. It sure isn't selling sub $200 3D BD players.

As for AVC-MVC it's really not clear, at least to me, that decoding the dual (right/left from the frame packed "super frames") 1 Mpixel 720p video streams at 60Hz source rate is really less processing then decoding the dual 2 Mpixel 1080p video streams at 24Hz source rate. I too have seen the estimate for 50% increase in total data required for a 3D vs. 2D video stream of the same resolution when going from H.264 AVC (2D) to the new 3D encode using AVC-MVC. But that doesn't really say anything about the processing load for doing 3D decoding for 1080p/24 vs. 720p/60.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #17 of 84 Old 06-25-2010, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The MVC encoded format is very processor intensive to decode and then it has to be converted to decoded to HDMI 1.4a packed frame video content for output to a 3D TV.
See the following about MVC format

http://3dvision-blog.com/tag/mpeg4-mvc/
post #18 of 84 Old 06-26-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I bit... I picked up a 470 at 6ave.com's name your own price sale. Offered 149, and they countered with 158 shipped. Not too bad.

post #19 of 84 Old 06-26-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Did they give you idea as to when the 3D upgrade for the 470 would be released?
post #20 of 84 Old 06-26-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

The MVC encoded format is very processor intensive to decode and then it has to be converted to decoded to HDMI 1.4a packed frame video content for output to a 3D TV.
See the following about MVC format

http://3dvision-blog.com/tag/mpeg4-mvc/

IMO - this is a more informative link about MVC:

http://research.nokia.com/files/3D_Video.pdf
post #21 of 84 Old 09-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Bumping an "old" thread and hoping for more player-specific discussion as opposed to codec conversation.

Saw the BDP-BX37 for $119 and the BDP-BX57 for $199 (after $20 and $30 rebates, respectively) at Costco recently. Are these players the Costco model number functional equivalents of the S370 and S570?

Am looking at the S470 as an upstairs/second BD player. It's close in price to the Panasonic BD65 and I'm keen on the Sony's SA-CD support which the Panasonic lacks. 3D is not crucial upstairs but the player could come downstairs and get hooked up to the Mitsu 3D display now and again until the Denon DBP-2011 arrives in supposedly January.

Do we know what 3D signal format(s) the Sonys output?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalter0 View Post

Sony is sending out a 3d firmware disc for my $ 169(Beach camera) s470. You can also download the firmware directly from the internet.

How's the player doin'? Have you watched any 3D BDs?
post #22 of 84 Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Blu-Ray 3D spec requires that all Blu-ray 3D Disk licensed players be able to output at the HDMI 1.4a Double frame packed format and also in 2D only HD format. And all 3D TVs licensed to support HDMI !.4 formats be able accept the douible frame packed frame video format.
post #23 of 84 Old 09-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

The Blu-Ray 3D spec requires that all Blu-ray 3D Disk licensed players be able to output at the HDMI 1.4a Double frame packed format and also in 2D only HD format. And all 3D TVs licensed to support HDMI !.4 formats be able accept the douible frame packed frame video format.

"You talkin' ta me?"

"Walford," although at some level I should appreciate your bothering to respond at all, I've noticed a penchant of yours in various 3D-related threads to chime in in response to a member question with a bit of pedantry and sometimes offer a link that doesn't necessarily illuminate things further. You seem to assume that others have the same/the right understanding of HDMI 1.4a and MVC and the ramifications thereof that you do.

If by "the HDMI 1.4a [d]ouble frame packed format" you're referring to what most other folks 'round these parts are more commonly just calling "frame packing" and if that's the signal format that all spec-compliant 3D BD players will output, you still haven't really answered my question. For instance, I've seen your posts in a thread in which another member is trying to ascertain what other 3D BD players besides the Panasonics output checkerboard format, so I know you're aware that just because a player outputs frame packing doesn't mean that it can't also output that format IN ADDITION TO (an)other(s).

So, to the extent you were responding to my query, my question--re-stated/amplified for clarity--remains: What 3D signal formats do the Sony players output in addition to frame packing?
post #24 of 84 Old 09-22-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the S470, and I love the player. Super fast loading. 3D works great through a Pioneer VSX-920 receiver to my VT20.

The only complaint I have about the player is that when using the DLNA feature to play MP3s from a PC on my network, you can only play the tracks on an album in alphabetical order and not by track number.

Other than that, I have no complaints.

post #25 of 84 Old 09-22-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Just wondering if anybody has tried these out yet. You can get them pretty darn cheap. Supposedly they are 3D ready, and they just need a firmware update and they are good to go, and I think the 3D firmware has been released. I'm thinking of trying one, but wanted to hear from somebody that actually has one of these first.

My dad has the S570. He doesn't have a 3dtv yet but we hooked it up to my Mitsubishi wd-65736 thorugh my adapter and it worked fine. I like how fast the fast forward was. It blew right through the previews some rentals force you to watch. It made my Vizio bluray player seem really slow. I even got a guy at Best Buy to buy the S570 at Best Buy based on what I had to say about it.

PS I use the PS3 as my 3D player and my Vizio as my standard blu ray player but would recommend the Sony player.
post #26 of 84 Old 09-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

Bumping an "old" thread and hoping for more player-specific discussion as opposed to codec conversation.

Am looking at the S470 as an upstairs/second BD player. It's close in price to the Panasonic BD65 and I'm keen on the Sony's SA-CD support which the Panasonic lacks. 3D is not crucial upstairs but the player could come downstairs and get hooked up to the Mitsu 3D display now and again until the Denon DBP-2011 arrives in supposedly January.

Do we know what 3D signal format(s) the Sonys output?

How's the player doin'? Have you watched any 3D BDs?

Have watched a good bit of 3D--zero problems so far.
post #27 of 84 Old 09-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalter0 View Post

Have watched a good bit of 3D--zero problems so far.

Thanks for responding.

Just curious: When you got the player was it already updated for 3D capability outta the box, or did you do the fw upgrade via disc or 'net?

Can you talk about what 3D BDs you've spun por favor? Unless you've got an inside 'hook up,' it seems like right now--absent having gotten a particular 3D BD via a bundle with your display--the main titles available "in the wild" for purchase are Meatballs and Monster House . . .
post #28 of 84 Old 09-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

@Paul.R.S

Every single 3D Blu-ray player except for the Panasonic players will only output Frame-Packed format.
post #29 of 84 Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

Thanks for responding.

Just curious: When you got the player was it already updated for 3D capability outta the box, or did you do the fw upgrade via disc or 'net?

Can you talk about what 3D BDs you've spun por favor? Unless you've got an inside 'hook up,' it seems like right now--absent having gotten a particular 3D BD via a bundle with your display--the main titles available "in the wild" for purchase are Meatballs and Monster House . . .

I had to do an upgrade--internet to dvd to s470(I don't have it connected to the internet yet). I've watched Grand Canyon, MvA, Cloudy wcmb, and, don't forget: Goldberg Variations(my favorite and available on the open market).
post #30 of 84 Old 09-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

@Paul.R.S

Every single 3D Blu-ray player except for the Panasonic players will only output Frame-Packed format.

Thanks. It will be interesting to see what other 3D BD player manufs do in this regard in the future and how/whether they market the increased utility of players that support checkerboard. It would be nice if Denon followed Panasonic's lead on this.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page