Consumer 3D Camcorder and 3D Still Camera - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 07-05-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got my Panasonic 3D TV, now I'm ready to make my own 3D movies and pictures. When will consumer products be available to utilize this new technology?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
There have been plenty of stereo/3-D cameras available for decades, and even a Toshiba 3-D camcorder. I've shot thousands of stereo stills since I bought my Stereo Realist in the 80s. However, I'm assuming you're looking for a current product.

Various camcorders which reportedly will be compatible with the new 3-D TV are on the way soon, and a Fuji digital 3-D still camera is out now. Many folks use twin digital cameras to shoot 3-D also.

Short answer: there will be plenty of options fairly soon.
post #3 of 28 Old 07-05-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

What would be great is to take your 3D pictures, take out the SD card, plug it into the TV and see your 3D photo's or video's.
post #4 of 28 Old 07-05-2010, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

There have been plenty of stereo/3-D cameras available for decades, and even a Toshiba 3-D camcorder. I've shot thousands of stereo stills since I bought my Stereo Realist in the 80s. However, I'm assuming you're looking for a current product.

Various camcorders which reportedly will be compatible with the new 3-D TV are on the way soon, and a Fuji digital 3-D still camera is out now. Many folks use twin digital cameras to shoot 3-D also.

Short answer: there will be plenty of options fairly soon.

Any way you could post some of your photos, Steve?

Joe Clark

post #5 of 28 Old 07-06-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Any way you could post some of your photos, Steve?

^^^^Seconded
post #6 of 28 Old 07-06-2010, 09:18 AM

I'm really excited to see how this pans out for consumer products - it's going to be a gold rush for some companies. Would love to see some of your shots too.

Always looking for fellow Austin home theater enthusiasts.
post #7 of 28 Old 07-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
The stereo slides are in storage, and I haven't sorted them in years, so it will take some work to find some good examples and scan them. I really ought to do this as I'd be able to view them in various formats now as opposed to the old handheld viewer. I never did break down and get one of the old polarized projectors.

I also have a couple of other 3-D cameras that take lenticular prints, but these would be hard to share. They can be viewed without glasses, but have that weird effect that isn't natural unlike the excellent stereo slide format.

The new Fuji digital camera is sort of a hybrid; you can upload your pics to them and they will send you lenticular prints, or you can use the autostereoscopic digital frame they sell, or use their software to create anaglyphs, etc.
post #8 of 28 Old 07-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
The Stereo Realist took some lovely pictures, especially with Kodachrome stock, which is renowned for it's color accuracy and long life. A friend of mine took some behind the scenes pics from some 1950's horror flicks, and they look excellent.

I've scanned and aligned Stereo Realist slides, which transfered over without a hitch.
post #9 of 28 Old 07-07-2010, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post

The Stereo Realist took some lovely pictures, especially with Kodachrome stock, which is renowned for it's color accuracy and long life. A friend of mine took some behind the scenes pics from some 1950's horror flicks, and they look excellent.

I've scanned and aligned Stereo Realist slides, which transfered over without a hitch.

Great. When can you post some?

Joe Clark

post #10 of 28 Old 07-07-2010, 08:06 PM

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/3d/...epix_real3dw1/
post #11 of 28 Old 07-07-2010, 08:07 PM

post #12 of 28 Old 07-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmmm ... Let me contact him and see if I can get permission to do so.
post #13 of 28 Old 07-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I checked out their website about a week ago, http://www.aiptek3d.com and it appears (for 3D) it uses the Side by Side Squeezed approach for video and stills, which would mean half rez per eye. But if someone finds out it's something different, please chime in.

Even if it is half rez per eye for 3-D, at $199 it's kind of hard to complain.
post #14 of 28 Old 07-07-2010, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, I've been reading about that camcorder, and I'm almost certain to get one to play with.

Joe Clark

post #15 of 28 Old 07-07-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Lots of 3D photos here. Click to get the full size picture, right click and save it as a JPG, watch the ones you download with Google Picasa as a slide show in side by side mode on your 3D TV.

Joe Clark

post #16 of 28 Old 07-08-2010, 10:33 PM

Liked: 44
Turn your Canon digital camera into a 3D camera

Quote:

Loreo has released a new Stereo Lens-In-A-Cap for Canon cameras ( APS-C format subframe digital SLR sensors, 22-24mm). It costs $165. Using these kinds of lens you get one photo that has two images in it, side by side (see here for some samples from Loreo). You can view the 3D images in Loreo's own 3D viewer, or change the photo digitally to other 3D formats.

http://www.3d-display-info.com/turn-...mera-3d-camera
post #17 of 28 Old 07-14-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Turn your Canon digital camera into a 3D camera

http://www.3d-display-info.com/turn-...mera-3d-camera

All the samples I've seen are in portrait orientation. Can the Loreo take landscape pics?
post #18 of 28 Old 07-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry for the delay, but I did get permission, and have two Stereo Realist slides posted, as well as two of mine from the 2006 2nd World 3-D Film Expo. There are shown in the R/L ("cross-eyed") 3-D viewing format.

http://www.picnik.com/show/id/883410.../t/picnik-show

Pic #1 is from when Bob Burns worked with Paul Blaisdell on the Saucermen creatures from the 1957 sci-fi cult classic: INVASION OF THE SAUCERMEN

Pic #2 is from the 1980's or 90's showing Bob Burns in the original (George Pal's 1960 version) TIME MACHINE, which Bob now owns.

Pic #3 is an exterior shot of the Egyptian theater during the 2nd World 3-D Film Expo.

Pic #4 is Bob Burns getting an arrow in the chest during the 3-D classic "CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER". A great back-story on this one...

While the scans (IMHO) look great, as Steve notes, viewing them in their original slide form is, when possible, even better. Note the last two 2006 Expo shots are from my digital camera rig, and not a Stereo Realist.
post #19 of 28 Old 07-15-2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueN View Post

All the samples I've seen are in portrait orientation. Can the Loreo take landscape pics?

Would the Loreo work with a HD camcorder?
post #20 of 28 Old 07-15-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry for the delay, but I did get permission, and have two Stereo Realist slides posted, as well as two of mine from the 2006 2nd World 3-D Film Expo. There are shown in the R/L ("cross-eyed") 3-D viewing format.

http://www.picnik.com/show/id/883410.../t/picnik-show

Pic #1 is from when Bob Burns worked with Paul Blaisdell on the Saucermen creatures from the 1957 sci-fi cult classic: INVASION OF THE SAUCERMEN

Pic #2 is from the 1980's or 90's showing Bob Burns in the original (George Pal's 1960 version) TIME MACHINE, which Bob now owns.

Pic #3 is an exterior shot of the Egyptian theater during the 2nd World 3-D Film Expo.

Pic #4 is Bob Burns getting an arrow in the chest during the 3-D classic "CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER". A great back-story on this one...

While the scans (IMHO) look great, as Steve notes, viewing them in their original slide form is, when possible, even better. Note the last two 2006 Expo shots are from my digital camera rig, and not a Stereo Realist.

Thanks, Greg. Fun shots, and I'd love to hear the back-story, if you can share it.

Joe Clark

post #21 of 28 Old 07-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, Greg. Fun shots, and I'd love to hear the back-story, if you can share it.

In early 1950's, Bob took his future wife Kathy on their first date. Kathy had never seen a 3-D movie before, so Bob picked "Charge at Feather River", which he had already seen in 3-D. During one of the Indian attacks near the end when handfuls of arrows were thrown at the cameras, Bob threw himself over his theater chair with a fake arrow in his chest with prop blood oozing out. Patrons threw off their 3-D glasses and evacuated the theater. (Remember that for most people, polarized 3-D viewing was a very new thing at that time.) The feature was stopped and the police checked things out. But by that time, Bob had stashed the arrow away and quietly left the theater with Kathy at his side. Jump ahead to September 2006 with Bob & Kathy celebrating their 50th Wedding anniversary. And with the new restored "Charge at Feather River" 3-D print playing at the 2nd World 3D Film Expo, Bob just couldn't resist..
post #22 of 28 Old 07-15-2010, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In early 1950's, Bob took his future wife Kathy on their first date. Kathy had never seen a 3-D movie before, so Bob picked "Charge at Feather River", which he had already seen in 3-D. During one of the Indian attacks near the end when handfuls of arrows were thrown at the cameras, Bob threw himself over his theater chair with a fake arrow in his chest with prop blood oozing out. Patrons threw off their 3-D glasses and evacuated the theater. (Remember that for most people, polarized 3-D viewing was a very new thing at that time.) The feature was stopped and the police checked things out. But by that time, Bob had stashed the arrow away and quietly left the theater with Kathy at his side. Jump ahead to September 2006 with Bob & Kathy celebrating their 50th Wedding anniversary. And with the new restored "Charge at Feather River" 3-D print playing at the 2nd World 3D Film Expo, Bob just couldn't resist..

My kind of humor.

A long time ago, my brother in law and I were taking rollerskating classes together at the YMCA. When the instructor was distracted at the other end of the rink, I tucked an arrow from an archery class under my left arm (so that it looked as though I had been shot). My brother in law grabbed a bow and stood facing me. On cue, I screamed and fell forward. You never saw someone run so fast in your life.

Strangely, she didn't seem amused.

Joe Clark

post #23 of 28 Old 07-15-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueN View Post

I just got my Loreo today; I'm liking it but it does have a few quirks.The Loreo is a "beam-splitter", it puts two images on each frame, so it's limited to half the horizontal size of the image, at full height; therefore no "landscape" mode, unless you do a lot of cropping. When images are shown by the VT25 after no cropping, but converting to MPO's, they are in 3D and show with proper height/width ratios but there are large black bars on each side of the screen image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStegin View Post

Would the Loreo work with a HD camcorder?

I just shot a video with my Panasonic GH1 and the Loreo, It works on the VT25 but because it saves 2 side-by-side images on each frame, images show up as 3D, but they are a bit distorted (too wide). I'm not sure what the work-around for this would be, but if anyone has suggestions....
post #24 of 28 Old 07-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Greg,
Thanks for sharing the photos and the Bob Burns story!
post #25 of 28 Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 PM

FujiFilm REAL 3D W1 works great on Panasonic, Samsung, LG and Sony 3DTVs. I tested mine on all four 3D TVs. You have to get a 50 dollar HD Player from Fuji the HDLP1 which then outputs 3D pistures and video shot on the w1 in SBS format. It then hooks up via an HDMI cable to 3dTV of your choice and the stills and video are outstanding, at least on the Panasonic and the Sony.

The LG and the Samsung for whatever reason have a picture that shall we say is not as good as the Sony or Panasonic and it is very noticeable.

I shot some really good video of humming birds on a feeder and a dozen Ferraris at Mont Tremblant and the guys at BB were going nuts. The pictures and video were as good or better than anything they had.
post #26 of 28 Old 07-28-2010, 11:24 AM

Liked: 44
Panasonic's 3D Lens Makes Third Dimension Dabbling Painless

Quote:

We've seen Panasonic's 3D camcorder, but the company is also releasing a standalone lens that will allow otherwise stock still cameras to shoot 3D.

http://gizmodo.com/5598469/panasonic...bling-painless
post #27 of 28 Old 08-17-2010, 09:58 AM

Aiptek has been delayed via Amazon. Can no longer find it on their site anywhere. Weird, but also strange.

gravy
post #28 of 28 Old 08-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Panasonic's 3D Lens Makes Third Dimension Dabbling Painless

http://gizmodo.com/5598469/panasonic...bling-painless

Interesting. Any updates?