BluRay Players capable of streaming MKV container over network? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-19-2010, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a 3D capable bluray player and had some questions.

Do any of the upcoming and recently released 3D Bluray have the capability of streaming content in the MKV container over the network?

I wanted to purchase a Samsung BDC6900/7900, but the restriction to USB only for MKV bums me out. I heard something called the "Samsung PC Share Manager" can enable this feature but haven't heard anything about it anywhere other than a random post in the BDC6900 thread in the BluRay Player forum...

Does the Panny do this?

Further questions:

1) Other than that, does the Panny/Samsung/Other support any file formats/containers the other doesn't?

2) Any 3D capable players that stand out for a particular reason? As far as I can see, the only limitation of the Samsung is the lack of Realta VP (which really isn't a limitation since I've heard good things about Samsung's implementation of their own algo), and perhaps the lack of SACD or DVD-A. Other than that it seems to have everything other players have and more (particularly the 7900 which has the dual hdmi the 6900 lacked).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 10:43 AM

The LG BX580 does CIFS/Samba shares just like the other LG networked players have. I have the older BD390 and it does MKV's over CIFS/Samba shares flawlessly. So you don't need to install additional software on your PC to make it work.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-21-2010, 10:16 AM

I love PC Manager i stream all my burned 2D blurays(h264 in ts container) and my burned and converted 3D Blurays (avi in MKV container) from my PC directly to my Sammy LN46C750. Dont have problems if i stick to the FPS and Biterate specified in the manual. PC manager is very very nice
post #4 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAMOS1 View Post

I love PC Manager i stream all my...burned and converted 3D Blurays (avi in MKV container) from my PC directly to my Sammy

What do you mean by burned and converted 3D blurays? Is there a way to rip them and be able to play them back in frame packed 3d?
post #5 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanadu140 View Post

What do you mean by burned and converted 3D blurays? Is there a way to rip them and be able to play them back in frame packed 3d?

I burned as in copied(ripped) a 3D Bluray to my hard drive(AnyDVDHD) after that i have 2 options burn it to a bluray disc(which i cant watch until the PS3 update) or take the two streams of the movie from the iso file i created convert them into 2 mkv files then combine them with virtual dub for play back on my Sammy 3D. Now the last step you can skip if you have a stero player hooked up to your TV but i stream everything so i have to convert the movies. Once the PS3 update comes tho im just gonna burn the iso to a disc(IMGburn)
post #6 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 12:27 PM

What size did the rip end up being? I've heard that the MVC codec doesn't decode properly when you rip and ends up with a 70GB rip (even though a Blu-Ray can only hold 50Gb) Has this problem already been handled with a newer version of AnyHDDVD? If so, woohoo next stop Blu-Ray burner for me!
post #7 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:

What size did the rip end up being? I've heard that the MVC codec doesn't decode properly when you rip and ends up with a 70GB rip (even though a Blu-Ray can only hold 50Gb) Has this problem already been handled with a newer version of AnyHDDVD? If so, woohoo next stop Blu-Ray burner for me!

If you rip the bluray to an iso file(23Gbts-33Gbts) then mount it as vitrual drive. You can go into the actual disc and take what you need from there the avg size of each steams is about 17Gbts (side by side conversion) then you can use virtual dub t compress it to any size you like. But if your just trying to put them on a disc use IMGburn and most fit(the movies thats out) on th 25Gbit disc
post #8 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you rip as an ISO then it is normal size.

If you do a folder rip I end up with 72.5GB for Cloudy 3D and 77.3GB for MvA 3D.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-11-2010, 11:31 AM

Aaahh that's where my confusion comes from. Thanks for the explanation, now I just need to get myself a good Blu-Ray burner and test out a 3D Bd-R!
post #10 of 17 Old 08-13-2010, 06:38 AM

bump...I am also interested in which 3d players can do this.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-14-2010, 04:16 PM

*bump*

A list of these would be nice. I had no idea this was even possible until a little earlier today.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein
post #12 of 17 Old 09-16-2010, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i just tried several mkv files burned to a dvd on the pan 350. i believe it supposed to work but it doesnt for me. says incompatible format or something like that.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejqly View Post

The LG BX580 does CIFS/Samba shares just like the other LG networked players have. I have the older BD390 and it does MKV's over CIFS/Samba shares flawlessly. So you don't need to install additional software on your PC to make it work.

I hear from multiple sources that the bd370 pq over local stream is degraded (on the fly transcode?). wonder if the same holds true for the bx580...
post #14 of 17 Old 11-21-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejqly View Post
I've been experimenting with my LG BX580 and it will play MKVs over the network (from my LG NAS), but my wireless connection is too slow and they're choppy (I'm in the process of upgrading to a GE wired connection).

The LG BX580 DLNA supports the following formats over the network: DivX®/DivX HD, MPEG2 TS/PS, MPEG1 SS, XVID, MKV, AVI, WMA, MP3, AC3, AAC, JPEG, PNG.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-03-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnobatai View Post

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a 3D capable bluray player and had some questions.

Do any of the upcoming and recently released 3D Bluray have the capability of streaming content in the MKV container over the network?

I wanted to purchase a Samsung BDC6900/7900, but the restriction to USB only for MKV bums me out. I heard something called the "Samsung PC Share Manager" can enable this feature but haven't heard anything about it anywhere other than a random post in the BDC6900 thread in the BluRay Player forum...

Does the Panny do this?

Further questions:

1) Other than that, does the Panny/Samsung/Other support any file formats/containers the other doesn't?

2) Any 3D capable players that stand out for a particular reason? As far as I can see, the only limitation of the Samsung is the lack of Realta VP (which really isn't a limitation since I've heard good things about Samsung's implementation of their own algo), and perhaps the lack of SACD or DVD-A. Other than that it seems to have everything other players have and more (particularly the 7900 which has the dual hdmi the 6900 lacked).

The LG BX580 plays MKVs from my PC over cable or wireless.
Download the manual from the LG website to check the compatibility restrictions.
I don't use DLNA but make my MKVs shared.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-03-2011, 12:39 PM

I have successfully streamed mkv from my PC after installing PS3 Media Server on the PC to my TV via the PS3, including 3D (after updating the the PS3 to latest FW).
post #17 of 17 Old 01-03-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_jbloggs View Post
I have successfully streamed mkv from my PC after installing PS3 Media Server on the PC to my TV via the PS3, including 3D (after updating the the PS3 to latest FW).
I've been trying the same though but have found that not all MKV's play though. Probably one out of every three or four fail and don't play.

I'm considering just buying a Boxee and being done with it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein
Reply 3D Source Components