Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to try that . Where can I find a movie in mkv format?

When the PS3 update comes, will we be able to play 3d with HD audio?
post #3 of 31 Old 10-03-2010, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tried streaming monster house with PMS and all I get is a black screen. What settings do I need to get this to work?
post #4 of 31 Old 10-22-2010, 11:00 AM

I'm curious how I could get this to work. I have the Monster v Aliens disc; however, it will not play in my PS3. I do have a BD drive on my PC, and I suppose I could rip file to my PC and then try to stream it. Any ideas how to rip it?
post #5 of 31 Old 10-22-2010, 12:43 PM

Liked: 11
What is PSM?
post #6 of 31 Old 10-24-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Rabbit View Post

Tried streaming monster house with PMS and all I get is a black screen. What settings do I need to get this to work?

What is PMS? I tried streaming a mkv file through Windows Media Connect and didn't worked.
post #7 of 31 Old 10-25-2010, 06:52 AM

Liked: 13
PSM is playstation media server. Just like windows media connect but it plays almost everything. For you to stream downloaded 3D movies you have to find the half resolution versions. Full HD 3D or 1080p per eye videos wont work.

Google "playstation media server", once you set that up on your computer, google "3D vision blog" for tons of 3D clips and trailers to download and stream.

Good luck
post #8 of 31 Old 10-25-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoares28 View Post

PSM is playstation media server. Just like windows media connect but it plays almost everything. For you to stream downloaded 3D movies you have to find the half resolution versions. Full HD 3D or 1080p per eye videos wont work.

Google "playstation media server", once you set that up on your computer, google "3D vision blog" for tons of 3D clips and trailers to download and stream.

Good luck

Thanks, I will try this.

Regards,
post #9 of 31 Old 10-25-2010, 11:35 AM

Does the PS3 not play Full HD rips or is it just too much to stream it over wireless?

You would think that if it could play half SBS rips, it could do Full HD. No? Aren't Full HD rips in .m2ts format?
post #10 of 31 Old 10-25-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I didn't know that there was a full 3D .m2ts format in additon to HD .m2ts format which can be used for 1/2 R 3D HD SBS content.
post #11 of 31 Old 10-26-2010, 11:34 AM

If you look at a 3d blu-ray rip, I believe the video file is .m2ts. I might be wrong on this though but will be able to confirm it when I get home tonight. Since PS3 plays .m2ts, I don't see why a 3d configured PS3 wouldn't be able to play the file... again, I'll confirm this when I get home.
post #12 of 31 Old 10-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Blu-ray 3D movies have M2TS (for 2D) as well as SSIF files (for 3D).
post #13 of 31 Old 10-29-2010, 05:43 AM

I actually havent tried a FULL HD 3D mkv since we got the 3D update. I know before the update i would get the file not supported error message. I'll try tonight.
post #14 of 31 Old 10-29-2010, 01:48 PM

How's your experience with Half SBS MKV files? I've downloaded a couple but have had issues with certain files when they've been converted using MKV2VOB. Some files work great, others freeze, stutter, black screen, etc.

I don't know why MKV2VOB treats these any different than regular MKV files but up to now, I've never had any problems converting MKV files and have had problems with numerous Half SBS MKVs. If the PS3 ever gets MKV support, I would be the happiest person in the world.
post #15 of 31 Old 12-02-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin-Dawson View Post

How's your experience with Half SBS MKV files? I've downloaded a couple but have had issues with certain files when they've been converted using MKV2VOB. Some files work great, others freeze, stutter, black screen, etc.

I don't know why MKV2VOB treats these any different than regular MKV files but up to now, I've never had any problems converting MKV files and have had problems with numerous Half SBS MKVs. If the PS3 ever gets MKV support, I would be the happiest person in the world.

I'm also running into the same issues. Mine stutter a lot. I'm running my 2TB external firewire 800 drive connected to my mac mini to my ps3

My other mkv files that are non 3d seem to work fine.

Once I get this fully figured out I plan on setting up a how to thread as I cant seem to find any solid posting anywhere about this.
post #16 of 31 Old 12-03-2010, 05:37 AM

I find it weird too. I have about 15-20 3D half SBS mkv's which i stream over PMS and although the majority work great i do come across some that stutter bad or i will just get sound for 30secs then it would cut off.

All the files are MKV's and because i dont know enough about file types and bitrate and mbps i can't see a difference on why some work and some dont.

On the *********** forum i was told that i should stick to downloading files encoded by "zvockenrga" (a poster on the forum) as his files work better for those who want to stream to PS3. problem with that is he doesnt post files to Usenet so i'm stuck using netfolder which i find not nearly as fast as usenet.
post #17 of 31 Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 AM

Using AviSynth as your video transcoder with PMS resolves the stutter issues (there's an option to force a steady framerate or something, uncheck this and every 3d MKV I've played has worked perfectly).

This is less than ideal for me since I'd rather use MKV2VOB to put MKV's into a PS3 compatible format and then stream them off my network drive. It works for now though. I looked into it a little bit (I created a post on the forum... that I'm pretty sure you're also on) and it looks like the MKVs that won't convert to VOB properly were all ripped with SiffSucka. I'm not sure why though.
post #18 of 31 Old 12-10-2010, 06:23 AM

Thanks for the advice justin.

How would i go about using Avisynth? do i have to download additional codecs/plugin's or just click a check box in PMS? Currently for all my files i go into the transcode folder and play the TSmuxer version as i read that that version is the highest quality.

Thanks
post #19 of 31 Old 12-10-2010, 08:54 AM

First you need AviSynth installed on your computer (just google it and get the latest version).

Then in PMS, go to the Transcode tab and on the left, click AviSynth and then click up to put it at the top of the list. There's a dropdown near the bottom that let's you set the quality (you can do lossless as an option but it'll depend on your network bandwidth and cpu processing power). Anyways, there's a few options.

You already know about setting a share folder through PMS I assume so just navigate to PMS on your PS3, navigate to the folder and select the video. Don't worry about running the transcode version (you can actually set PMS to not display this to clean up the interface a little bit).

You should be set. I find that wireless results in streaming issues but a wired connection should work great. Kind of a pain but it's not a big deal to run a cable to your router when you want to watch some 3d. I'm hoping that PS3 just gets MKV support eventually.
post #20 of 31 Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 AM

Also, if you select the AviSynth video transcoder on the Transcoder tab in PMS, that's where you'll find the "steady framerate option" (not sure what it's called... doing this from memory). Uncheck this (I think anyways... whatever allows for a variable framerate) and it'll eliminate any stutter.
post #21 of 31 Old 12-16-2010, 06:41 PM

Couple of questions. I get stuttering. It looks like when I select to Transcode via AVISYNTH/MENCODER it uses Haali and FFmpeg. Shows a picture and sound seems to work, but everything stutters. I did the following to prepare:
-Loaded CCCP - combined codecs
-Loaded AVISYNTH 2.37
-Loaded VSFILTER and copied dll into AVISYNTH plugin directory.
-Loaded PS3Media Server

Unchecked everything pretty much other than ALternate Sync in PS3MS. Unchecked the variable to constant in AVISYNTH/MENCODER. Not sure what else to do. When I select settings in CCCP, I can disable it from handling H264, but then I get a "The Data is Corrupted" error. It seems like I can use Tsmuxer for any file that does not have DTS in it and it seems to play ok with no stuttering. Any File that has a DTS stream as well in it when I try to use TSMUXER, MENCODER, AVISYNTH/MENCODER all stutter. I have the PS3 and Server connected via a WIRED 100mb LAN connection as well. Server is a modded MediaSmart server (no dual core though).

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks so much!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xbox Live ID- STRONGBOWSIX
post #22 of 31 Old 12-19-2010, 07:53 PM

Might be an issue with your CPU horsepower. Try lowering the target quality under the Video Quality Settings section (that drop down menu on the Transcoding tab).
post #23 of 31 Old 01-03-2011, 11:56 AM

Very useful info in this thread. I will try it out. Thanks.
post #24 of 31 Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_jbloggs View Post

Very useful info in this thread. I will try it out. Thanks.

Yes, I agree. Question though... Lets say you have a 3DTV (P65VT25) and DMP-BDT100 and looking into watching 3D movies. In the comments above it's mentioned to find Half-SBS 3D x264 (MKV). Will these Half-SBS play like a normal 3D Blu-ray purchased from a retail store on the P65VT25? I don't understand the Half-SBS part and why aren't they Full 3D HD MKV's or whatever....

Thank you kindly.
post #25 of 31 Old 01-05-2011, 01:40 PM

A half SBS MVK is basically a 1080p movie split into 2 screens (SBS => Side by Side). Playing it not in 3d mode literally shows 2 screens playing side by side. Your TV takes the two images and alternates them for the 3D Left and Right images. As far as the player can tell, it doesn't know the difference between a normal movie file and a Half SBS file (your TV does the work). I don't know if Full SBS files exist as this would be 1080p resolution times 2... I'm not sure if a player would be able to play it or a tv be able to display it. They call them Half SBS because horizontal resolution is cut in half (the file only has half the normal horizontal resolution for each side but is stretched across the entire display... the files are created with this in mind so no skewing of the image takes place in the end displayed image).
post #26 of 31 Old 01-05-2011, 01:42 PM

For those interested in converting Half SBS MKV files to a compatible format on your PS3 (meaning you don't need to stream them with Playstation Media Server), MKV2VOB released an update that has appeared to fix the compatibility issues with Half SBS MKVs. I converted a few last night (which gave me issues previously) and they all worked flawlessly.

I for one prefer to have my files on a network storage drive and don't like having to stream things from my laptop.
post #27 of 31 Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 AM

I might have been too excited with my last post. I've since run into the same issues as before with converting multiple Half SBS MKVs with MKV2VOB.
post #28 of 31 Old 01-06-2011, 05:36 PM

@Justin-Dawson

Thanks for the information!

I take it half-sbs is the best way to enjoy 3D movies on a true 3D TV? I don't recall seeing any other formats or files besides full ISO rips which are ridiculous in size! lol

That sucks you are still running into the same issues as before with converting multiple Half SBS MKVs with MKV2VOB. I don't know of another way to convert them for PS3 or play MKV on a Panasonic DMP-BDT100. Keep us posted if you find a way around.
post #29 of 31 Old 01-07-2011, 02:04 PM

You got me really excited as well. I tried it last night and tried Tsmuxer and it didn't work. Mencoder/AVIsynth works, but my processor is not powerful enough to realtime transcode. I get tons of hesitation. What a bummer! Maybe someone needs to update tsmuxer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xbox Live ID- STRONGBOWSIX
post #30 of 31 Old 01-07-2011, 02:36 PM

The good news is that all the recent movies I've gotten have worked without any issues... looks like the other end of the table has figured out the incompatibility problems with the PS3 and have taken steps to correct them.

Although this means that all the early movies I've gotten won't work from my network drive, I'm actually okay with that. Not like a lot of them were worth more than the initial 3d wow factor anyways. If you're thinking about the big A - I found one that most likely works. I just need to mux in the fixed audio stream before I'll know.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page