Official Fujifilm 3D W3 Photo/Video Camera - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 379 Old 08-03-2012, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Leo,

Sorry that I answer so late. I was on holiday - without the W3 but with a good 2D camera ;-)

I had the Panasonic here (from a friend) and I was really very impressed by the picture quality. There were no rotational errors (the camera has an auto adjustment) and no sharpness problems. And even the video quality is much better and the video file size is much smaller. But there is less 3D effect than at the W3. On the other hand the 3D effect on the W3 is not really natural too since the lenses are too far apart. So both do not show a correct 3D picture. This you only will get with your own single 2D camera setup - at least until cameras without this "problem" come out.

Before there was a very good comparison of both cameras on YouTube. Suddenly all those videos are set to private.

I did not buy the Panasonic because I just spent a lot for the Fujifilm W3 - here where I live it was more than USD 400. And it is hard to sell a somehow not working camera with bad pixel on eBay for good money even if it is brand new ;-) I do very few private sales only. But I do not want to lose my excellent rating at eBay.

Peterxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 379 Old 08-10-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
After comparing clips of the W3 and the Panasonic I've decided to get the W3.

The Panasonic has a really unpleasant barrel distortion. And the interaxial is too weak. To compensate for a wider IA, I can stand back and use zoom. To compensate for narrow IA, you have to get closer, which is impossible at zoos and also cuts down on how much of the surroundings you can capture.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #363 of 379 Old 08-11-2012, 10:28 AM

I would write a letter to the CEO of Fuji and let him know what dismal products they are selling. That's pathetic.
post #364 of 379 Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 PM

Liked: 11
look here for some 3D .mpo images from Mars that i have created with Stereomaker. They are optimized for the Fuji 3D camera.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452969/mars-3d-mpo-images

Gr.
Marco
post #365 of 379 Old 01-20-2013, 05:51 AM

Hi everybody
What is the difference between these two setting : SP2 and SP1?
thanks!
post #366 of 379 Old 02-26-2013, 08:23 AM

Does anyone know of a good software (preferably free) to convert the 3D videos from the W3 camera into side-by-side 3D format in a batch processing manner?

I know the FinePix software does that but it does one at a time. With the bug in the original camera firmware that turns off recording every minute, I have so many clips that converting one by one is practically impossible. (I know there is a firmware upgrade, but I haven't done it yet, and I have a whole bunch of videos to convert.) I can't watch the videos on my LG Cinema 3D unless I play them through my camera (which is not practical either), or convert them to side-by-side.

Another advantage of converting to side-by-side is that the file size reduces to 15% of the file size generated by the camera without any noticeable change in quality.

Anyone?
post #367 of 379 Old 02-26-2013, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I've made a software which transforms between several stereoscopic formats. It uses Avisynth and VirtualDub (both freeware) and it can convert the clips in batch mode (it automatically calls VirtualDub and executes all the jobs, so you don't need to open any other programme). However, I would need at least one of your clips to test them. If it works, I'll open another thread and give the link to converter.
post #368 of 379 Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the response. I just sent you a private email.
post #369 of 379 Old 03-07-2013, 05:57 PM

Liked: 14
Hi all,

Well I finally got around to cutting up some highlights from a 3 month world trip in 2011 in which the only camera I took was the little Fuji W3.

I came home with a mountain of footage and photos but have managed to boil it down to about 7min (2 songs) - well thats the video content anyhow:)

Hope you enjoy, some shots are a little rough quality wise, and I personally have since upgraded my 3d cameras because of this, but overall its a great little camera

and a fantastic introduction to 3d for anyone interested.

I'd love to hear some feedback,

Cheers,

Joe.
2old4toys likes this.
post #370 of 379 Old 03-08-2013, 01:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Looks nice, Joe. I liked how you brought up the natural sound track when it enhanced the scene. You also did a good job of timing the shots and demonstrating a good ability with the 3D camera.

When it comes to music we all have our personal likes and dislikes. But, what I prefer is to enhance the travel locations with music that is typical of the places you visit. When the music has lyrics, sometimes the lyrics don't add or make sense to the scene. The best way around this is to pick up a CD of local music when visiting the locations. I'm always shopping the gift shops and tourist stores for these. If you are not distributing the video you can use it for fair use. If you are, the CD is used to recall the color and style of the location and then you select something similar with nondescript instrumentals from a royalty free music library. Just some ideas to help you make your travel videos even more memorable.
post #371 of 379 Old 03-08-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
JoeFourMan:

Very well done! What software did you use to put this together? I have a Fuji W3 and abandoned it for the Panasonic 3D1 for a German trip, but my video is awful, jerky and unwatchable. So I'm left with a lot of stills.. This gives me a whole new appreciation for the Fuji. I might have to bring it out again for my next trip. I do like the increase in separation, it really adds more depth than the 3D1.

You say you upgraded your 3D cameras--to what?
post #372 of 379 Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 106
threed123- Carry them both. Use the 3D1 for closer shots and the Fuji for more distant shots. jerky video is more a function of the operator and the use of the environment to steady the camera than it is of the camera itself. I'm still pleased with my 3D1 and it's video has made it seamlessly into my projects primarily shot with the TD10.
post #373 of 379 Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFourMan View Post

Hi all,

Well I finally got around to cutting up some highlights from a 3 month world trip in 2011 in which the only camera I took was the little Fuji W3.

I came home with a mountain of footage and photos but have managed to boil it down to about 7min (2 songs) - well thats the video content anyhow:)

Hope you enjoy, some shots are a little rough quality wise, and I personally have since upgraded my 3d cameras because of this, but overall its a great little camera

and a fantastic introduction to 3d for anyone interested.

I'd love to hear some feedback,

Cheers,

Joe.

Hi JoeFourMen,

What software did you use?

Thanks.
post #374 of 379 Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 PM

Hi guys, I'm new here. I have had my Fujifilm W3 for about a year and a Panasonic 3D1 for a month. Both cost me about the same at about 200USD totally new (but bought a year after initial launch). I have to say the W3's wider lens separation makes for 3D that is more dramatic and the on board 3D display is a huge advantage over the 3D1. The 3D1 has a lot of 2D features and surprisingly very little on the 3D side. Before I had this hands on experience, I would have thought the newer Panasonic 3D1 would beat the old W3, and it does so but only for having optical image stabilization and much higher Rez video, more useful wide angle. Everything else however... The Fujifilm is preferred for photo options. Totally unexpected by me.
post #375 of 379 Old 03-08-2013, 09:43 PM

Liked: 14
Hey guys thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed it.

Don, great tip on the local music as a soundtrack I'll definitely keep that in mind on my next trip. You're right about the music choice as it's very much a personal taste thing. I originally cut this video as a 35min edit and spent a lot more time selecting tracks that fit the country and footage. In this version the song selection was a bit more of an after thought. Some good point to think about though, cheers.

I originally started the edit on Power director as it had some powerful yet accessible features, like image stabilisation, but ended up doing the final cut down on Sony Vegas as I had much more control over the colour grading. I feel the W3 vision really needs some massaging to get the most out of it. The stabilisation issue is a big one. I was as careful as possible when filming as I didn't have a tripod, doing crazy things like exhaling breathe on slow pans almost sniper like, haha. At the end of the day you still need to use some form of post stabilisation with this camera imo.

I have the 3d1 as well and do love it's forgivingness in shooting but a well taken w3 photo is far more involving visually for me with its extra separation. As far as other upgrades go I've also purchased a JVC HMZ1 3D video camera which produces a video quality that definitely exceeds both the w3 and the 3d1, as it should for the price.

I took it to New Zealand a few months ago and can't wait to share the video I'm cutting at the moment with you guys.
post #376 of 379 Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 PM

@JoeFouMan Bravo, that travel video you made using the W3 is fantastic! The 3D effect and detail looks wonderful on my Optimus 3D phone's little display. Wish I had a 3D telly to see how well the W3 holds up scaled to 1080p.
post #377 of 379 Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Don, good suggestion. I will carry both the 3D1 and the Fuji next time, and I've got to practice taking video with both. I have a great tendency to move the camera all over the place.

Joe, I have the Sony TD10 and it runs circles around the other two cameras above, but it's such a brick to carry around, I only use it at home. My travel cameras are the Sony RX100--great high-res DSLR-like pics--and the 3D1, and I hardly take video. Now I'm going to put more thought into it. The one DSLR feature I miss is a longer zoom lens.

2old4toys: I suffered through the same problem of owning the 3D1 and Fuji and expecting the 3D1 to run circles around the Fuji. For still shots the 3D1 has much better resolution, and for indoor shots the 3D1 can't be beat. But the 3D1 only shines for shots that are 5-15 feet. Beyond that I'm always disappointed in the lack of 3D depth. That's where the Fuji shines. I also find the Fuji well suited for dramatic closeups but have to adjust the parallax. This is my favorite. Sure there is some distortion, but seeing the ducks up close like this is pure eye candy:

Photobucket
2old4toys likes this.
post #378 of 379 Old 09-23-2013, 04:07 PM

in case anyone is still checking this thread, just wanted to inform all w3 users not to overlook the "opt. axis control" setting. if you haven't already tested for vertical alignment, pull up any clear photo and zoom in close on any object. then, use the parallax adjustment to "pull" the left and right images until the images overlap and see if they line up, vertically. for me i had to set my "opt. axis control" to +3 L! wish i would have known sooner... all of my old shots aren't vertically aligned, which is probably why people said it hurt their eyes!
post #379 of 379 Old 10-25-2013, 02:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchow6157 View Post

in case anyone is still checking this thread, just wanted to inform all w3 users not to overlook the "opt. axis control" setting.

Yes, it's a very good idea to adjust this and keep it adjusted to minimize eye strain. But to fix your older pictures, or align hyper-stereo images you took, or even to improve pictures with the axis adjusted (images may still be rotated, etc. with respect to one another) you can use Stereo Photo Maker to auto align. As a habit, I batch align all my W3 images before I view them. I wrote up the steps I use to auto align and view them on the Playstation 3. It may look like a lot of steps, but once you get used to it, it's not too bad and makes the images much easier on the eyes:

Steps to align in Stereo Shoto Maker (henceforth referred to as SPM) and view on the PS3
http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

1) Align files
Create an "aligned" directory for your output files.
Run SPM.
Select file->multi conversion.
Open folder with unaligned mpo files.
Select "Output File Type" MPO.
Select "Auto alignment", choose desired settings in Auto alignment setting. ( I use better precision, no adjustment of stereo window)
Auto alignment will create borders because it may shift or rotate one image relative to another, so to avoid the borders you can choose Auto Crop. This will make different size images depending on the alignment, so for consistent sizes you can also choose manual crop settings, e.g. for a border of 32 pixels on standard size W3 images use 32 32 3616 2704.
Select output folder ( the aligned folder you created.)
Select "Convert All Files".

2) Rename files
Files will be aligned and converted, HOWEVER, the PS3 (and probably other devices) will not recognize the files because SPM creates filenames with lower case extenders (.mpo).
The PS3 follows the DCF standard for camera files
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system
http://www.exif.org/dcf.PDF
Except the PS3 not recognize files with lower case characters.
To convert the filenames to upper case use a utility such as "filecase" http://www.procon.com.au/Files/UT/CONSOLE/FileCase.htm
or rename using SPM:
SPM cannot rename a file from .mpo to MPO directly, so rename the file from .mpo to .jpg (do not use an extension SPM does not recognize like .foo), then rename from .jpg to MPO:
Select File->Multi Rename
Navigate to the folder with the aligned files.
Select the Exchange letters option, set it to .mpo->.jpg
Click on Rename All Files
Select Exchange letters, set it to .jpg->.MPO
Click on Rename All Files again.

3) Copy the files to a memory card
To be recognized by the PS3 (and probably other devices) you have to put them in the correct DCF standard folder heirarchy under a DCIM directory, such as the folders W3 uses:
/DCIM/121_FUJI

4) view on PS3
Insert the card in your PS3 if it has a slot, or use a card reader.
The PS3 cannot copy MPO files directly into the XMB, you have to use a PS3 app.
The PS3 Playmemories app puts up annoying warning messages for some images and I don't like its interface so I prefer the Photo Gallery app.
You can quit the Photo Gallery app and view MPO files in the XMB once they are imported.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page