Official Fujifilm 3D W3 Photo/Video Camera - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #391 of 410 Old 09-19-2015, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Rajiv, you will need software like PowerDVD15 that can activate stereo when showing MPO files. Another way is to get a 3D bluray player that can play 3D files loaded to an SD card (what I do), and bypass using your PC.
Aha. Makes sense. I burned the pictures onto a 3D Bluray using PowerDVD13 and it worked great. Now, if only there was a list of Bluray players that can display .MPO files through the USB port ...

Rajiv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 410 Old 09-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 75
My Sony S6200 displays .MPO files through a USB Flash Drive. I think some of the cheaper models do also. It's the only brand that I found that works with MPO files.
post #393 of 410 Old 09-20-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I haven't tried it yet, but can you just use an mini HDMI to HDMI cable from W3? Of course that's when they're still on the card. I view all mine after post so not really an issue for me.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #394 of 410 Old 03-12-2016, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
does anyone have a suggestion on how to best view the videos without a 3D tv (besides the V3-too expensive)? currently i am using 3-D glasses on my TV. i'm thinking either a 3D passive or active monitor (maybe a play station 3d display), or a cheaper glasses-free tablet (tho i hear bad things), or a headset personal movie theater, like a lower end Sony HMZ?

thanks.
post #395 of 410 Old 03-12-2016, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

jimlau, what videos are you talking about? W3 videos? Don't expect much from the W3 videos as their quality is pretty low.

I think you can only get active 3D monitors these days and most are expensive. Tablets and HMZ are less then perfect or satisfying in my opinion. However, if you are willing to go active shutter glasses, then this 3D monitor is probably the best inexpensive monitor out their right now, and it has good response time for some gaming as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-GN246HL-B...dp/B00KO4518I/ Looks like it might be on backorder, though.
jimlau likes this.
post #396 of 410 Old 03-17-2016, 09:13 AM

When taking videos, my camera automatically ends after about ~15 seconds. It starts the storing process (then "busy" for a few seconds). I have enough memory on the SD card. Any idea why this happens?
post #397 of 410 Old 03-17-2016, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlau View Post
When taking videos, my camera automatically ends after about ~15 seconds. It starts the storing process (then "busy" for a few seconds). I have enough memory on the SD card. Any idea why this happens?
15 seconds is about all the internal buffer can take. It sounds like you need a faster SD card. Make sure it's at least a class 6. If the card worked in the past, then it might be bad card contacts. Clean them with a soft cloth. Or, try taking your battery out, cleaning the contacts and replacing it (with the camera off, of course). And make sure the battery has a complete charge. Beware of off-brand batteries, they can cause issues as well. The camera does light like really cold weather, so if you have this problem when it's cold, that also might be the issue.
post #398 of 410 Old 03-17-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
15 seconds is about all the internal buffer can take. It sounds like you need a faster SD card. Make sure it's at least a class 6. If the card worked in the past, then it might be bad card contacts. Clean them with a soft cloth. Or, try taking your battery out, cleaning the contacts and replacing it (with the camera off, of course). And make sure the battery has a complete charge. Beware of off-brand batteries, they can cause issues as well. The camera does light like really cold weather, so if you have this problem when it's cold, that also might be the issue.
you are correct sir. it needed a faster card. thanks.
3DBob likes this.
post #399 of 410 Old 03-22-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
jimlau, what videos are you talking about? W3 videos? Don't expect much from the W3 videos as their quality is pretty low.
why are they low quality? the resolution? poor response to movement?

any suggestions on how to optimize their quality?

would hooking up 2 go pros be the best way to capture 3d videos?
post #400 of 410 Old 03-23-2016, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried out the W3 for video once, that was enough. It has really poor resolution for video it's only option is 720p24. I only use it for stills for 3D which I like it for that but now that I have my 4k 3D rig going, I have higher megapixel video than I do stills on this camera. 8.3 megapixel for video vs. 7 mp stills on the w3. Comparing stills between the two, I have 20 mp and a 1" sensor plus larger glass. Only advantage with the W3 now is size which it's smaller, but I'll never use it again for video other than my initial tests. The Panasonic 3d1 is much better for video with 1080i60 SbS, although the lenses are closer together. But despite the SbS framing limitation on recording, the quality is still superior to the W3's independent AVI streams which are a hefty 40 plus megabits/sec each. The problem lies in the 720p24 recording which softens the image quality. The fact that the streams are independent vs SbS and 40 mbps recording doesn't help.

Yes, two Go Pro's would be a better solution. The W3 is good for stills and that's about it. It will do video in a pinch, other than that, it's just horrible quality. The other bad thing on the W3 and 3D1 is for stills you really can't use the flash on these because the flash is too close to the lens which will pick up dust particles, so you're pretty much limited to available light. Second, the cameras are pretty old now and 1/2" sensor with no flash option means poor low light use. About the only 3D shooting I do with these is for stills and entirely in 16x9 for use in the timeline with 3D video. Now that I can shoot in 4k though, there isn't really any advantage since I can just take a frame grab from the timeline and have a higher mp still image than either of these cameras.
3DBob likes this.

Last edited by tomtastic; 03-23-2016 at 01:56 AM.
post #401 of 410 Old 03-23-2016, 06:54 AM

great, now you tell me. actually i'm happy with the stills. a quick video attempt was indeed lower quality. still seems ok.

i see i can get 2 go pro type cameras for $35 used. any direction on how to fit them together to be used in sync (some kind of rigging, the distance between the 2, etc)?

thanks.
post #402 of 410 Old 03-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Jim, the cheapest way to gopro 3D is with two Hero 2 cameras and this housing. It also has a sync cable that will genlock (sync up frame by frame) the video--very important. http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Expansio...dp/B004M18816/

The next up grade would be to get two used Hero 3+ cameras and the 3D housing for them. The quality is excellent. http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-System-H...dp/B00J9RO4U2/ This also includes a sync cable.

Only the Hero2 and Hero 3+ have 3D cases and sync cables. These are all discontinued now.

Others have used the new Hero 4 cameras rigged side-by-side, but not synced--you have to do that in post processing. I suggest you start by reading the Gopro 3D System thread within the 3D Source Components forum. There is much to learn and experiment with. Many of us have taken the journey and found it very satisfying, but frustrating at times...
post #403 of 410 Old 03-23-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Jim, the cheapest way to gopro 3D is with two Hero 2 cameras and this housing. It also has a sync cable that will genlock (sync up frame by frame) the video--very important. http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Expansio...dp/B004M18816/

The next up grade would be to get two used Hero 3+ cameras and the 3D housing for them. The quality is excellent. http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-System-H...dp/B00J9RO4U2/ This also includes a sync cable.

Only the Hero2 and Hero 3+ have 3D cases and sync cables. These are all discontinued now.

Others have used the new Hero 4 cameras rigged side-by-side, but not synced--you have to do that in post processing. I suggest you start by reading the Gopro 3D System thread within the 3D Source Components forum. There is much to learn and experiment with. Many of us have taken the journey and found it very satisfying, but frustrating at times...
thanks. a bit pricey. i found a bracket that goes on top of a tripod on which you can attach 2 cameras. do you happen to know if it is difficult to sync 2 cameras that are not gopro, like these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EROCLC/...I2RDJCFBOE8YGU

can software allow you to do that? will check out the other threads on here after this.

thanks again.

Last edited by jimlau; 03-23-2016 at 09:15 AM.
post #404 of 410 Old 03-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
thanks. a bit pricey. i found a bracket that goes on top of a tripod on which you can attach 2 cameras. do you happen to know if it is difficult to sync 2 cameras that are not gopro, like these:

can software allow you to do that? will check out the other threads on here after this.

thanks again.
I started out with a similar camera called Nabi and setup. See this thread: how to sync video in Vegas from two cameras for stereo

You'll see my setup and the jetski video I made with it. I used this software: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Movie-Stu...dp/B00I3MSBC6/

It's a derivative of more expensive Sony Vegas software, which is not supported anymore.

There are other 3D capable software like Power Director and Edius that we are all using, but as a starter, I still recommend Sony Movie Studio.

Basically you have to align the two Left and Right videos with sound--I clap my hands.
post #405 of 410 Old 03-23-2016, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks again.
Take a look at page 25 on the GoPro page: GoPro 3D System for two HERO3+ Black Edition cameras

There's a picture of a water housing and then scroll down a little further and there's a picture of the dry case I made, for alignment both worked really well.

I used a 3D printed housing which were originally made for the official Hero cameras but I modified for use with the NoPro knockoffs. I also made a custom wood housing that was adjustable up to 3 inches. They are cheap cameras, about 60 each. I could sync with the included IR remote but it was off about half a frame. I need to get them back out and see what they show on my timer for exact sync. But for photos it wouldn't really work because they're off slightly and you need exact for stills. For video, as long as you don't have something that has a lot of movement it would work. After watching the video over and over I could begin to see the timing difference between the two views with the water fountain test.

Yeah, if you want perfect sync you need the official Go Pro Hero 3 Black edition. But I agree the price point is a little high. I don't shoot underwater stuff so basically it would just be for mounted stuff where I can't put a bigger camera.

Last edited by tomtastic; 03-23-2016 at 06:06 PM.
post #406 of 410 Old 03-27-2016, 06:35 PM

what is the simplest way to import an MPO image from the camera and create a side by side picture? it seems the finepix studio viewer only shows anaglyph, and so the only option is to create a left and a right picture, then use some other software to create a left/right photo. i feel like i am missing something.
post #407 of 410 Old 03-28-2016, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
what is the simplest way to import an MPO image from the camera and create a side by side picture? it seems the finepix studio viewer only shows anaglyph, and so the only option is to create a left and a right picture, then use some other software to create a left/right photo. i feel like i am missing something.
You can use the stereo photo maker: http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/ Same site that has the Stereo Movie Maker. Many of us 3D photo shooters use this program. Lots of flexibility to create different kinds of stereo pics, plus separate L and R from MPOs.

Also take a look at http://phereo.com/ They have a great website for uploading and viewing your 3D MPO pics in different formats. Great for showcasing your work and sharing with others.

You can take a look at mine: http://phereo.com/542f0939df7df3353d00000a The zoo pics have mixed photos from the Panasonic 3D1 and Fuji W3 cameras. The old Vegas shots were done with a Stereo Realist film camera. The others with the Panasonic 3D1. You can view in Interlaced (for passive 3D monitors), Anaglyph and Side-by-side. Sometimes the L and R images get reversed so you have to click the Swap icon on the right. You usually have to do that when viewing full screen--seems to reverse images. If you view full screen, then click ESC to get out of it...
post #408 of 410 Old 04-08-2016, 08:57 AM

can you import a 3D image other than in MPO format to the w3 in order to see it in the back panel? (my camera's on loan, so can't check it myself)
post #409 of 410 Old 04-08-2016, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
can you import a 3D image other than in MPO format to the w3 in order to see it in the back panel? (my camera's on loan, so can't check it myself)
No, I believe it has to be .mpo. JPG's are just for 2D, so you will get a side by side image. You can swap cards from the Pansonic 3D1 which doesn't have a 3D screen and view those images on the W3.

post #410 of 410 Old 04-13-2016, 04:37 PM

can the battery be charged by plugging it into the computer's usb, or does it only charge by taking out the battery and charging it? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page