Official Fujifilm 3D W3 Photo/Video Camera - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 388 Old 11-02-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
markr041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I think that hijacking a thread is impolite at best. If people want to talk about the Panasonic 3D camera, start a thread with the appropriate title. This one is titled as being about the Fuji camera.

Enough of that. Here is a 3D video I shot with the Fuji W3 camera. Choose 720p and your favorite 3D viewing technique on the Youtube site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvXeuujhAW4

Smooth motion and a nice 3D window effect.
markr041 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 388 Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Frank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Dept. of Offense
Posts: 5,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a Fuji W1 and one of the things I don't like about it is that there is significant vertical misalignment at full zoom.

If you have a W3 you might want to check the alignment at min and max zoom.

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
Frank is offline  
post #93 of 388 Old 11-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Member
 
acem77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i 2nd the hijack comment start a panny thread...

i just hooked my w3 up to my tv with a hdmi mini adapter and the video is too dark.

my ps3, laptop and sony dsc-hx1 look great.

the only thing different is the mini hdmi adapter?

but hdmi is digital, all or nothing more or less so id guess my camera has issues, or my tv has issues with just the w3 camera?
acem77 is offline  
post #94 of 388 Old 11-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Member
 
acem77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post

I have a Fuji W1 and one of the things I don't like about it is that there is significant vertical misalignment at full zoom.

If you have a W3 you might want to check the alignment at min and max zoom.

cool now i know what that option is for, i was thinking about it.
acem77 is offline  
post #95 of 388 Old 11-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
NorthTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

I think that hijacking a thread is impolite at best. If people want to talk about the Panasonic 3D camera, start a thread with the appropriate title. This one is titled as being about the Fuji camera.

Enough of that. Here is a 3D video I shot with the Fuji W3 camera. Choose 720p and your favorite 3D viewing technique on the Youtube site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvXeuujhAW4

Smooth motion and a nice 3D window effect.


Actually there was a separate thread started with regard to comparing the Panasonic 3D Camera to the W3, though no one responded since it looks like Frank is the only one who has actually had any experience with it and I think we all welcome his insight posted here. Myself, I am probably the earliest owner of the Fuji W1 who has posted in these forums and there are multiple threads relating to the original Fuji that I started which may be of interest. I now also have the W3 as well. I do not have the Panasonic 3D camcorder but certainly welcome hearing from anyone who has, especially as it compares to the W3 for taking 3D video.
NorthTV is offline  
post #96 of 388 Old 11-03-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
markr041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 162
"we all welcome his insight posted here."

Speak for yourself. Insights about the Panasonic or any other camera are not for "here". If there is a thread comparing the two cameras, then anyone who actually can compare them (has both) can post there, whether that thread is old or not a new contribution to it puts the thread right up front. And anyone looking over threads interested in that topic can go there and ask questions. Burying any actual comparison here actually hides this interesting comparison topic.

My reaction to this is perhaps colored by the fact that in many threads a Panasonic owner butts in with info on his or her Panasonic camera, whether it is relevant or not. See the camcorder threads.

This thread is specifically about the Fuji W3.

But let's not hijack this thread further with a debate about logic, forum etiquette or what not.

Back to the W3: based on my experience, posting 3D videos from the W3 to Youtube requires careful attention to whether the scenes are reversed, as my original posting of my video was (one has to add to tag) even though the video had minimal processing. Makes a big difference. One obvious check is to look at an anaglyph version through red/cyan glasses the regular way and turned round to see which works better. The difference is not subtle.
markr041 is offline  
post #97 of 388 Old 11-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Member
 
bubba1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba1972 View Post

I decided to order one today. I didn't see any option to do any editing on an MPO in the web uploader/editor. I was able to crop my picture with StereoPhotoMaker http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/index.html and then upload that file for printing. I guess I will find out how it turns out in a couple of weeks.

Well I got my 3D print already and I am not impressed. It appears to be backwards. When you look at the picture from the right side, the left eye image is displayed. It is kind of hard to find the sweet spot where both eyes are fed a unique image. There is a lot of ghosting. Some 3D effect is there, but with the views backwards, it is ruined. They agreed to reprint it for me. We will see how that turns out.
bubba1972 is offline  
post #98 of 388 Old 11-06-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
everyperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just ordered my W3 from Amazon. Most sellers, including them, have a selling price below $435.
everyperson is offline  
post #99 of 388 Old 11-06-2010, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
markr041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I purchased this adapter to make effective 3D macro shots with the Fuji W3. The camera has a macro mode, but the distance between lenses is not ideal for 3D close-ups. The adapter uses mirrors to effectively change the distance between the lenses. This is a macro 3D shot of a tiny figurine (smaller than the photo image):



Use your red/cyan anaglyph glasses.

The photo was taken in low light without flash - 1/20th, iso400, f4, handheld.
markr041 is offline  
post #100 of 388 Old 11-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
peter0328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

I purchased this adapter to make effective 3D macro shots with the Fuji W3. The camera has a macro mode, but the distance between lenses is not ideal for 3D close-ups. The adapter uses mirrors to effectively change the distance between the lenses. This is a macro 3D shot of a tiny figurine (smaller than the photo image):



Use your red/cyan anaglyph glasses.

The photo was taken in low light without flash - 1/20th, iso400, f4, handheld.

Can you upload the MPO for this? I'd like to see how the adapter looks and I don't have anaglyph haha.
peter0328 is offline  
post #101 of 388 Old 11-07-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
markr041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I am happy to upload the opriginal mpo. Where do you want me to upload it? btw, anaglyph glasses cost about 50 cents. I agree that anaglyph has shortcomings, but I deliberately choose subjects (colors) that minimize these, and they do display the 3D depth effects fine.
markr041 is offline  
post #102 of 388 Old 11-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
peter0328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

I am happy to upload the opriginal mpo. Where do you want me to upload it? btw, anaglyph glasses cost about 50 cents. I agree that anaglyph has shortcomings, but I deliberately choose subjects (colors) that minimize these, and they do display the 3D depth effects fine.

Anywhere is fine by me. Hotfile, skydrive, whatever you want
peter0328 is offline  
post #103 of 388 Old 11-08-2010, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
everyperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can the W3 play photos and/or videos when directly(via mini HDMI to HDMI cable) hooked up to the Samsung HDMI port?
everyperson is offline  
post #104 of 388 Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
everyperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggo View Post

Make that closer to $700 (extra battery, SDHC class 10 card, mini-HDMI cable). But it's pretty cool. The stills look awesome on my PNC7000, although I'm still learning framing and composition and parallax (and to keep my fingers away from the lenses, which is harder than I thought it would be). The video is disappointing, as others have noted. It really doesn't look like 720p. And until I dig my tripod out of whatever closet it's in, I can't keep the camera still enough which makes the video look even worse.

So after a few hours, I'd give it five stars for 3D stills, two stars for 3D video.

How did you play the video? Did you directly connect to the 7000(I have an 8000) via the mini HDMI out to the HDMI in of the Samsung? What about the still photos-how did you "play" those?
everyperson is offline  
post #105 of 388 Old 11-08-2010, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
markr041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 162
"Anywhere is fine by me. Hotfile, skydrive, whatever you want."

I am sorry, you want the files, you supply the site. I am not joining more sites just to provide you a file because you won't put on red/cyan glasses.
markr041 is offline  
post #106 of 388 Old 11-12-2010, 04:09 PM
 
threed123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Troy, MI, USA
Posts: 2,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Got a W3 today. I've had 3D cameras (Realist, FED, and others) since 1965, and must say the images from this camera top them all. Even at ISO 800, they are not bad. I've made some 3D anaglyphs to show on my 23" monitor and they dead on.
threed123 is offline  
post #107 of 388 Old 11-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
FBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Would someone answer two questions for me about their W3?

1. About how many 3D photos can you take on an 8 GB sdhc card?

2. About how many photos can you get with one battery charge?
FBlack is offline  
post #108 of 388 Old 11-16-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
everyperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Each MPO(3D) file @ 16:9=2.1 MB

Battery time varies, but about 1hr. of "continuous" shooting of movies-more with photos. Movies are limited to about 11 minutes for each segment-then another segment begins.

All of this is listed on page 102 of the manual, which can be downloaded from the Fuji site: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/3d/manuals/
everyperson is offline  
post #109 of 388 Old 11-17-2010, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
FBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyperson View Post

Each MPO(3D) file @ 16:9=2.1 MB

Battery time varies, but about 1hr. of "continuous" shooting of movies-more with photos. Movies are limited to about 11 minutes for each segment-then another segment begins.

All of this is listed on page 102 of the manual, which can be downloaded from the Fuji site: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/3d/manuals/

Thanks for the link to the Manual. I saw a video review and the reviewer said that he had to do a Parallax adjustment on 70% of his shots. Can anyone comment on this?
FBlack is offline  
post #110 of 388 Old 11-17-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
markr041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 162
My experience is that less than 10% need any parallax adjustment. What is the link to this review?

Another macro (unadjusted from the auto):

markr041 is offline  
post #111 of 388 Old 11-17-2010, 04:43 PM
 
threed123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Troy, MI, USA
Posts: 2,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack View Post

I saw a video review and the reviewer said that he had to do a Parallax adjustment on 70% of his shots. Can anyone comment on this?

Not my experience so far. Depends on how level you hold the camera. If by chance you constantly hold it off-level--yes you will have to adjust for eye comfort. If it's a problem, a small bubble level can be used effectively to end that problem. Simply tape to the bottom and check the level before each shot. Or use a small piece of velcro and it can be snapped on and off as needed. Lots of us old Realist stereo film camera users do this.
threed123 is offline  
post #112 of 388 Old 11-17-2010, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
everyperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack View Post

Thanks for the link to the Manual. I saw a video review and the reviewer said that he had to do a Parallax adjustment on 70% of his shots. Can anyone comment on this?

I've only done still photos so far in the auto mode and have had no problems. Make sure that you purchase a high speed MINI HDMI to HDMI cable(make sure it's not "macro" or "macro mini") to view the output on a 3D TV. I'm still waiting on an internet order to get mine, so I've only been able to view them on the 3" screen of the camera.
everyperson is offline  
post #113 of 388 Old 11-17-2010, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
everyperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Not my experience so far. Depends on how level you hold the camera. If by chance you constantly hold it off-level--yes you will have to adjust for eye comfort. If it's a problem, a small bubble level can be used effectively to end that problem. Simply tape to the bottom and check the level before each shot. Or use a small piece of velcro and it can be snapped on and off as needed. Lots of us old Realist stereo film camera users do this.

I just found some Realist 3D slides that my father took of me in 1954. I viewed them through a Realist handheld viewer and they look better than my new W3 photos. Question: Can you still buy Realist cameras and who processes the slides(costs?).
everyperson is offline  
post #114 of 388 Old 11-17-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
everyperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

My experience is that less than 10% need any parallax adjustment. What is the link to this review?

Another macro (unadjusted from the auto):


What program(s) did you use to do this--step by step. Anything for a Mac for the W3? BTW-this photo is fantastic in 3D!
everyperson is offline  
post #115 of 388 Old 11-17-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
markr041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Use the free program stereo photo maker: Load program, open the original mpo file from the W3, click 'color anaglyph', save stereo image. done.

I don't know mac stuff; the greater availability of programs like this is why.
markr041 is offline  
post #116 of 388 Old 11-17-2010, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
everyperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

Use the free program stereo photo maker: Load program, open the original mpo file from the W3, click 'color anaglyph', save stereo image. done.

I don't know mac stuff; the greater availability of programs like this is why.

Thanks. I'll have to install Windows on my Mac.
everyperson is offline  
post #117 of 388 Old 11-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Member
 
K6DTX2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Everyperson
I have sent you a pm regarding your interest in the Stereo Realist camera.
K6DTX2 is offline  
post #118 of 388 Old 11-18-2010, 08:22 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
wiggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Memphis
Posts: 600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyperson View Post

How did you play the video? Did you directly connect to the 7000(I have an 8000) via the mini HDMI out to the HDMI in of the Samsung? What about the still photos-how did you "play" those?

Yes, you connect with the mini-HDMI cable and control what's on screen from the camera.
wiggo is offline  
post #119 of 388 Old 11-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
FBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
FBlack is offline  
post #120 of 388 Old 11-18-2010, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
markr041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Thanks for the link.

I didn't see in print the statement that "70%" of his shots required parallax adjustment. This is a guy who spent a few hours with the camera at a press opening and as far as we can tell never viewed the photos on other than the back of the camera.

He also said: "Diane Rainey of Fujifilm told us that YouTube is working on 3D codec support, but we're not seeing that take effect for quite some time. "

Well, you can upload your 3D videos to youtube right now, and this has been true for some time.

No other review or forum postings I have seen mention this as a problem. My experience is auto parallax works extremely well. It's a non-issue.

Here is a quote from another, more careful, review:

"In use the auto-parallax-correction performed by the camera seems relatively faultless at aligning both the image planes."

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/50...al3d-w3-review
markr041 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 3D Source Components

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off