Official Fujifilm 3D W3 Photo/Video Camera - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 379 Old 12-11-2010, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had trouble using SMM to watch 3D videos too. I got Stereoscopic Player (v161) and it works well.

You guys are tough critics. I thought the boy with the squirt gun was very good. Have you seen the Pixar Parade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 379 Old 12-11-2010, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

"I'm resigned to using it primarily as a 2D camera."

I am also somewhat disappointed with the quality of the video, in the light of the high quality of the stills. But why would anyone use the Fuji W3 to take 2D pictures only? Was this a typo?

The same reason people want a dedicated still camera in addition to a video camcorder - much higher resolution images with lots of fine detail. We all knew going in that we were limited to 1280x720 video, but it's disappointing that even that is so full of noise and blocking artifacts. To me, the sample clip doesn't look any better than VHS, and in some ways it's worse.

Joe Clark

post #183 of 379 Old 12-11-2010, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I am sorry, I still don't get it. You said you would use the W3 as a *2D* camera. You are not going to take *3D* stills?

I get you do not like the video, why are you not using the 3D capability for stills?
post #184 of 379 Old 12-11-2010, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

I am sorry, I still don't get it. You said you would use the W3 as a *2D* camera. You are not going to take *3D* stills?

I get you do not like the video, why are you not using the 3D capability for stills?

Sorry. Wasn't keying in on the 2D part of that statement. If you don't care about the 3D video, OR the 3D stills, there's little reason to buy. You can get a better 2D camera for that money.

Joe Clark

post #185 of 379 Old 12-16-2010, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I asked the moderator to update the title of this site, as it has been the most active under 3D Source Components and now we may get more members to take a look and add their experiences and tips.

Amazon and others now have the W3 priced just below $400. Some are throwing in a new W3 kit which includes a case and the mini HDMI cable.

Maybe they will announce new 3D cameras at the CES show in January.
post #186 of 379 Old 12-16-2010, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

This update provides a new 'economy' mode that is to be used for using the HD video continuously for long periods.

The updating process seems complicated as there is a special transfer program to place the update file on the sd card in the camera. It is not clear whether one can just copy the file to the card directly.

Anyone try this yet?
post #187 of 379 Old 12-16-2010, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

This update provides a new 'economy' mode that is to be used for using the HD video continuously for long periods.

The updating process seems complicated as there is a special transfer program to place the update file on the sd card in the camera. It is not clear whether one can just copy the file to the card directly.

Anyone try this yet?

I just finished reading the instructions. It is complicated and if the upgrade fails the camera may not work and you can not load the previous firmware. It only gives you an economy mode for video, but does not explain exactly what this is for, except saving battery power.
So, who's going to try this upgrade? What about an upgrade for flash use without creating ghost outlines? Or real Macintosh software to use with this camera?
post #188 of 379 Old 12-16-2010, 10:20 PM

The upgrade itself isn't too complicated, it's just that the instructions are badly written. I updated my W3 with no issues after reading the instructions about forty times.
post #189 of 379 Old 12-17-2010, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Anyone try this yet?

Just what this camera needs, a mode that makes the already bad video quality even worse.

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
post #190 of 379 Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

I spoke to Fuji tech support. They say that if you use a full battery when updating the firmware, chances are minimal of damaging the camera. They said the update is only for movie issues.

I completed the update. It seemed more complicated than it really was. Looks to me like they added a new video mode that increased the length of time you can take a video. Now it shows about 19 minutes of video available instead of the previous 11 minutes.
post #191 of 379 Old 12-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah the new economy mode for video is half the bitrate vs the normal mode. This gives twice the recording time with slightly more graininess or w/e to the video.

Overall video quality is still pretty bad haha. Economy mode is only like 5-10% worse though than normal so may be worth the hit for many.
post #192 of 379 Old 12-23-2010, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Some major tips with 3D photos as examples:

http://mymoments.roxio.com/enu/artic...ays_in_3d.html
post #193 of 379 Old 12-27-2010, 07:57 AM

I just got the fuji w3 camera and saw the same ghosting isses other reported. I found that if you use a 1.4a cable and plug it into the ARC hdmi port and not the regular hdmi port on the samsung tv (i have the 55c8000 led) that the ghost is significantly gone. I remember reading something about the arc port being for the newer spec 3d stuff.

Anyway. hope this helps others.
post #194 of 379 Old 12-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deagle007 View Post

I just got the fuji w3 camera and saw the same ghosting isses other reported. I found that if you use a 1.4a cable and plug it into the ARC hdmi port and not the regular hdmi port on the samsung tv (i have the 55c8000 led) that the ghost is significantly gone. I remember reading something about the arc port being for the newer spec 3d stuff.

Anyway. hope this helps others.

Well I am glad you are getting some success connecting the W3 to your Samsung C8000. I have tried all the inputs too. I have two Samsung LED c8000's. One the 46C8000 and I occasionally get great 3D photos and video from the W3. On my 65C8000 I almost never can get 3d photos to look good. Lots of artifacts like extra eyes, lips ghosts, etc. A few of us have found that flash pictures actually make getting good photos worse. What TV do you have and I hope you continue to get good results. I need to use SPM and Stereoscopic Player on my computer to get good, consistent 3d results.
post #195 of 379 Old 12-30-2010, 10:48 PM

I like the w3 alot but for the life of me i cant move my videos and .mpo back onto my camera once i have taken them off.

Im using windows 7 and have also tried this on my ubuntu pc?

I only have read only access at all times. Windows and ubuntu wont reconize the sd card (DCM file system)

I can only get my systems to see and read from the sd card if its all plugged into the w3. I dont see anywhere i can perform an import to w3 via fine pix studio?

doesnt make sense. I must be missing something. Can anyone help. I have latest software and 1.10 fw installed on w3.

I tried looking for a program on the net that would allow reading and writing to dcm but np go?

Anyways thanks to all who uave some insight to share..

Im using a samsung plasma, with 3d tv you have to tinker with picture settings quite a bit. To eliminate ghosting try turnig up contrast and brightness, also reduce cell light.
post #196 of 379 Old 12-31-2010, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

cantenna:

You have just found another flaw with the software Fuji designed for the W3. The only way to work with the mpo and video files is to take the SD card out of the camera and use a card reader with your computer. Then you can easily move files on and off of the card and back to the camera.

In my opinion their MyfinePix studio software needs some work.
post #197 of 379 Old 01-01-2011, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

One other tip:

Try NOT to use the built-in flash on the W3. Under most indoor conditions, the use of the flash creates ghosts. To see this; Take the exact same shot using the flash and not using the flash. Compare both photos. With flash-ghosting. Without flash-no ghosting.

When taking outdoor photos there is no ghosting.

I wish the W3 had a hot shoe for an external flash. I wonder if that would make a difference.

Also-"Stereo Photomaker" is THE program to use with the W3. BUT only for Windows users. So far Macintosh users have very little to choose from. I use Windows on my Mac via the built-in "BootCamp" program.
post #198 of 379 Old 01-01-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Gnerally I dislike flash photos, 2D or 3D.

Here is a comparison of the same subject using flash and then without flash using the W3. These are converted to anaglyphs.

First, the flash picture:

Then without flash:

I like the non-flash better, but not necessaily because of ghosting.
post #199 of 379 Old 01-04-2011, 10:27 AM

The Fujifilm 3D camera is currently on-sale for only $199.99 at HH Gregg; on-line, only...quite a deal for those contemplating purchasing. While supplies last:

http://www.hhgregg.com/dynamic.asp?S...d=1757&slider3
post #200 of 379 Old 01-04-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Sold out, not surprsingly.
post #201 of 379 Old 01-04-2011, 01:57 PM

I was on the fence but @ $199 I had to buy!
post #202 of 379 Old 01-04-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack View Post

cantenna:

You have just found another flaw with the software Fuji designed for the W3. The only way to work with the mpo and video files is to take the SD card out of the camera and use a card reader with your computer. Then you can easily move files on and off of the card and back to the camera.

In my opinion their MyfinePix studio software needs some work.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response...

My computer (windows 7) does not reconize the file system on my sd card? I formated the card with the camera? Must i install a driver to read write to .dcf?

Thanks
post #203 of 379 Old 01-04-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantenna View Post

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response...

My computer (windows 7) does not reconize the file system on my sd card? I formated the card with the camera? Must i install a driver to read write to .dcf?

Thanks

EDIT

Nervermind. Turns out its my card reader... It doent reand .DCM lol!
post #204 of 379 Old 01-05-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post
The Fujifilm 3D camera is currently on-sale for only $199.99 at HH Gregg; on-line, only...quite a deal for those contemplating purchasing. While supplies last:

http://www.hhgregg.com/dynamic.asp?S...d=1757&slider3
crap! At that price, I'd have purchased one for sure!

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #205 of 379 Old 01-07-2011, 07:54 AM

I have the : LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED Plus LCD HDTV

-I was so excited when i got my 1.4 speed hdmi cord so i could connect my new w3 to the LG 3d tv we have.

the pictures and video were done using a 6 speed and a 10 speed SD card, both had the same issue.
The images look great on the LCD on the camera- i see the 3d. but on the TV, the cross talk, or parallax, is off. i can see they are far apart, more than normal on other 3d things i have seen. (like what another poster said) I can see the 3d but it has terrible 'doubling' issues, both the video (3d avi file) and the photos (.mpo).

supposedly the LG recognizes the .mpo files.

any ideas? my camera was on auto parallax when i took the images. they look clear, the only issue is the horrible crosstalk.

I plan on taking the camera and hdmi cord to a best buy to see if it will work on some other TVs to try to narrow down the problem.

Another thing is i do not have an hdmi connection from my PC so i can't test it out that way.

I am so upset about this!!! Any ideas?
post #206 of 379 Old 01-07-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCreant View Post

I have the : LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED Plus LCD HDTV

-I was so excited when i got my 1.4 speed hdmi cord so i could connect my new w3 to the LG 3d tv we have.

the pictures and video were done using a 6 speed and a 10 speed SD card, both had the same issue.
The images look great on the LCD on the camera- i see the 3d. but on the TV, the cross talk, or parallax, is off. i can see they are far apart, more than normal on other 3d things i have seen. (like what another poster said) I can see the 3d but it has terrible 'doubling' issues, both the video (3d avi file) and the photos (.mpo).

supposedly the LG recognizes the .mpo files.

any ideas? my camera was on auto parallax when i took the images. they look clear, the only issue is the horrible crosstalk.

I plan on taking the camera and hdmi cord to a best buy to see if it will work on some other TVs to try to narrow down the problem.

Another thing is i do not have an hdmi connection from my PC so i can't test it out that way.

I am so upset about this!!! Any ideas?

See post #197 above. Test it out-you will see a difference.

ALSO-make sure that you are at least 5-6 feet away from the subject area.
post #207 of 379 Old 01-07-2011, 09:49 AM

will try again, but most of the pictures i took were outdoors during the day, and the video does not use flash.

i've taken pix indoors and outdoors, and all have the severe ghosting.
post #208 of 379 Old 01-09-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Anything shot by a 3D camera is going to need to be adjusted for convergence to minimize ghosting and to adjust the stereo window. Do this with StereoPhoto Maker in Anaglyph View (F7), tapping the left and right arrow keys.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #209 of 379 Old 01-10-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Does this camera allow you to adjust exposure compensation etc for video, or is it just for photos? All the outdoors videos I've seen for this camera are kind of blown out in the sky, more than other pocket HD cameras.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #210 of 379 Old 01-12-2011, 07:36 AM

OK update!
So in order to determine if the fault lies with the w3 of the tv, I took it to a best buy and connected it to a Panasonic 3d TV with some test photos. THEY LOOKED GREAT. Therefore this must mean the fault is the TVs.
I took more photos outside after adjusting the settings on the P option on the camera. ISO 100, color chrome, quality fine. Some of the pix looked great on my TV while most had moderate to severe ghosting. The crosstalk existed in the video clips I took as well. I don't think you can adjust any settings on the video option to be honest.

My next step to get a call into LG and see if they have anything to say. It's pretty disappointing. If anyone hasn't got a 3d tv yet, test how your Fuji looks on its screen before you buy.

Also I've noticed little white moving pixels surrounding certain images (in the sky, around a tree...) in most of the pix on the TV. any idea what that is?
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page