PS3 3D through Onkyo TX-SR875... splitter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't know if this is the correct forum or not. But I've got a TX-SR875 and from everything I've read, it does not allow for 3D video through the AVR.

I could do HDMI direct to my 3D TV for the video, but would also like to keep the HDMI lossless audio fed to my AVR, so I don't want to use a toslink 5.1 connection. (I use my PS3 solely for blu-ray)

Is there a 1 to 2 splitter that would work for this purpose? Connect the output from PS3 to the input of a splitter, and then have the splitter send out simultaneously to my TV for video and my receiver for audio?

Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-19-2010, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs32 View Post

Don't know if this is the correct forum or not. But I've got a TX-SR875 and from everything I've read, it does not allow for 3D video through the AVR.

I could do HDMI direct to my 3D TV for the video, but would also like to keep the HDMI lossless audio fed to my AVR, so I don't want to use a toslink 5.1 connection. (I use my PS3 solely for blu-ray)

Is there a 1 to 2 splitter that would work for this purpose? Connect the output from PS3 to the input of a splitter, and then have the splitter send out simultaneously to my TV for video and my receiver for audio?

Any help appreciated.

The PS3 does not support the lossless HD audio formats when playing Blu-ray 3D discs therefore the toslink optical output will provide the same audio quality as providing the audio via HDMI. However, since the PS3 does support the lossless HD audio with playing conventional 2D blu-ray discs you will want to route the HDMI audio and video thru your AVR in that case. If your 3DTV has two HDMI inputs then you could try adding a simple passive HDMI switch to the output of the PS3 (connecting to what would normally be used as the output connector on the switch) then connect one HDMI cable from the switch to the AVR and the other to the 3DTV. You would also need to connect the toslink digital audio output from the PS3 to the AVR. The switch in one position would sent the audio and video to the AVR via HDMI (for playing regular blu-ray discs) and in the other position (for playing blu-ray 3D discs) it would send them to the TV and you would in that latter case use the toslink to carry the surround audio (i.e., regular Dolby Digiital, DTS or PCM) to the AVR. You could also try using a 1 input to 2 output HDMI splitter instead of the switch but it will be unpredictiable as to what the PS3 will provide for the video and audio modes with HDMI connected to both the AVR and to the 3DTV.

Low cost passive HDMI switches (and HDMI splitters) are sold by Amazon and also my monoprice.com. Look for one listed as supporting HDMI 1.3a or 1.3b as these should have the bandwidth to pass the 3D signal. HDMI switches or splitters with version 1.4 HDMI connections are still rare.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 5 Old 11-20-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Played with this a bit. The 1.3 splitters/switches can be problematic and it appears the EDID/3D capabale information of the TV is not being passed back to the PS3.

While not doing extensive testing I'm comfortable saying the splitters need to be hdmi 1.4 to make certain the 3D stuff gets communicated properly.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #4 of 5 Old 12-05-2010, 06:55 PM
EdS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in a similar situation as the OP, just ordered a Samsung PN63C8000 TV with the 6800 BR player, and I have a Denon 4306 (HDMI 1.1) receiver. I'm thinking that I use a passive splitter or switch on the output of the player, one output of the switch to the TV, the other to the receiver, I also connect the fiber output of the BR player to the receiver. When I want 3D, I set the TV to use the switch/splitter output, and use the receiver to playback audio via the fiber. When I'm watching 2D, (95% of the time), I set the receiver to use the ouput of switch/splitter, and route the video to the TV via HDMI through the receiver and then will also have lossless HD playback.
Anyone see any issue with this path, assuming a passive switch/splitter works without introducing any HDMI 1.3/1.4 issues? Anyone used a similar setup?
Thanks!
post #5 of 5 Old 12-07-2010, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought a Samsung C7900 Blu ray player with dual hdmi outputs. One hdmi cable to my tv and on to the Onkyo. Works perfect for the lossless audio on 2d or 3d movies.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page