Stream 3D Blu-ray .iso to player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 12-14-2010, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any Blu-ray players (or networked media players) that support streaming full .iso rips of 3D Blu-ray movies from a network share and playing back in identical quality to the original disc? In 3D, obviously....

I've got all my 2D Blu-rays stored on an 18TB NAS and would love to do the same with my growing collection of 3D Blu-rays.

My research suggests that nothing exists yet, but I'm hoping I've missed one. I'm pretty sure we'll have several options this time next year if there are none now.

Thanks very much!

-David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 12-14-2010, 06:46 AM

My FreeAgent Theater HD + streams both dvd and bluray iso files with ease. Albeit some of the bluray iso files only play the movie and not the menus.
post #3 of 51 Old 12-14-2010, 08:07 AM

but does it do 3D Blu-Ray ISOs?
post #4 of 51 Old 12-14-2010, 01:20 PM

The only 3d iso I have tested is Avatar and it worked fine. All my other 3d movies are in MKV format.
post #5 of 51 Old 12-14-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobigj View Post

The only 3d iso I have tested is Avatar and it worked fine. All my other 3d movies are in MKV format.

Really? Is that the 50 gig ISO that worked?
post #6 of 51 Old 12-14-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadocs View Post

Really? Is that the 50 gig ISO that worked?

It's 44.97gb and it was the ISO fixed to run on Samsung and Sony BR players. The other one is 44.98gb but I didn't download that version (not sure the difference though). I should mention I am running a modded version of the 1.45 firmware. But I am pretty sure the stock 1.55 firmware plays bluray iso files with no issues...
post #7 of 51 Old 12-14-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:

It's 44.97gb and it was the ISO fixed to run on Samsung and Sony BR players. The other one is 44.98gb but I didn't download that version (not sure the difference though). I should mention I am running a modded version of the 1.45 firmware. But I am pretty sure the stock 1.55 firmware plays bluray iso files with no issues...

Yeah I knew it was around 50gb but was unsure on exact size. Thanks for the info. I assume there is no menu and it just plays the movie?
post #8 of 51 Old 12-15-2010, 05:36 AM

Your assumption is correct in this case...
post #9 of 51 Old 12-15-2010, 01:50 PM

Good enough for me, thanks
post #10 of 51 Old 12-16-2010, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

And it outputs in 3D? What display device are you using?

Also, it appears the FreeAgent Theater+ has HDMI 1.3. Does it have the same limitations as the PS3 for 3D (downconvert or core-extraction of HD audio)?

-David
post #11 of 51 Old 12-16-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight View Post

And it outputs in 3D? What display device are you using?

Also, it appears the FreeAgent Theater+ has HDMI 1.3. Does it have the same limitations as the PS3 for 3D (downconvert or core-extraction of HD audio)?

-David

I HIGHLY doubt it can do the 3D, especially the 3D. The 3D discs have some strange UDF filesystem trickery where they do something with the twin stream of the encoded MVC movie. If you mount this in Windows and then try to copy the files over to your HDD, IIRC they will be almost 2x in size. Aside from TMT and of course PDVD with 3D features, I have yet to find a player capable of playing the 3D file even on a full blown Windows 7 HTPC. I'm almost certain an HTPC can do every thing those media players can do and a lot more that the media players can't, even.

Likely the FreeAgent Theater+ is simply playing the largest m2ts file in the ISO it can find. I bet it breaks real bad when a movie has seemless branching. This is often on discs that intelligently have both the theatrical and extended cut, instead of two large full sized m2ts files. Basically depending on which version you choose, it branches certain movie file pieces or if the shorter version, it leaves those out.

Also the player can't do lossless bitstream audio, as it appears it simply plays just the core DD or DTS track. Feature seems similar to a standalone install of MPC-HC player without more filters.

Now for an official player with an actual Blu-Ray disc drive: Let's just say based on how much DRM is in the standard, the entire collective consortium will shoot themselves in the head before they ever implement this. It would mean they would allow a player to play content via streaming of a ripped image circumventing their otherwise highly prized, DRM'ed disc product! Honestly, do you think they would be stupid enough to allow this? I'm sure they already loathe Slysoft and DVDFab, but they can't do anything about them due to where they are located. An ISO image with DRM still on will fail to play as the security code that is needed is embedded/stamped on the physical disc and encrypted. That piece does not follow the ISO image. If a player goes rogue and tries to implement this feature anyway, the consortium I assure you will revoke their license and BD encryption keys immediately, blocking movies from playing in the future.

I'm sure I'm already teetering on the edge of what's kosher to talk about here. So to put this in a matter in which it is still is: The only option you have is being able to play blu-ray content on burned BD-R/BD-RE discs created on a computer with a burner (assuming your player can play these types of discs). I doubt the cost or the lesser convenience is going to cut it for you. The BD-RE 50GB rewritable discs I got are $25 a pop in the US, and I paid $49 for 3 imported from Japan. A good burner is over $100 (IMO, LG doesn't make good burners). Oh yeah, and they also take almost 90 minutes to burn.
post #12 of 51 Old 12-16-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight View Post

Are there any Blu-ray players (or networked media players) that support streaming full .iso rips of 3D Blu-ray movies from a network share and playing back in identical quality to the original disc? In 3D, obviously....

I've got all my 2D Blu-rays stored on an 18TB NAS and would love to do the same with my growing collection of 3D Blu-rays.

My research suggests that nothing exists yet, but I'm hoping I've missed one. I'm pretty sure we'll have several options this time next year if there are none now.

Thanks very much!

-David

I was hoping Popcorn hour was going to announce their next player with 3D ISO support / HDMI 1.4, it seems like the next natural upgrade to the C200 series which took them a year to work out some serious bugs.

I was using my HTPC with the Nvidia GT430 with my Acer 3D DLP, it was a good set. 1.4 HDMI for the 3D, HD audio streaming via DVI to my AVR since it's only 1.3. butttt....

it doesn't work with the JVC-RS40 I think you just bought as well. There is an issue with the HDMI handshaking and the JVC thinks the card is sending out a 2880x1080 signal. I have to get this working, I have 10TB of my movies including my 3D BD collection on a NAS. there is no way I am dropping down to a dedicated BD player.
post #13 of 51 Old 12-16-2010, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Not sure about the streaming end of it. DVD Fab will rip 3D to your hard drive. You can make iso's. You can rename iso's to mpg you know. Lots of stuff will stream mpg.

But again I am not sure about 3D streaming.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #14 of 51 Old 12-16-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

"I have 10TB of my movies including my 3D BD collection on a NAS. there is no way I am dropping down to a dedicated BD player."

Gotta wonder how you define the word "my".

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #15 of 51 Old 12-16-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hceuterpe View Post

I HIGHLY doubt it can do the 3D, especially the 3D.

Doubt whatever you want, but I can tell you it plays 3d iso with ease. I am using a Mits WD-73738 as the display and its connected via HDMI through the 3d adapter included with the starter pack. I have watched Avatar (ISO), How to Train Your Dragon (ISO), Shrek Forever After (ISO), and many others (MKV's) with no issues.
post #16 of 51 Old 12-21-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My FreeAgent Theater HD + streams both dvd and bluray iso files with ease. Albeit some of the bluray iso files only play the movie and not the menus.

many ppl are looking for a media tank that plays full untouched 3d bluray isos like the real disc with menus and option to play 2d or 3d version.

afaik there is still no media tanki or device that can play full untouched 3d bluray iso. Many dont want to use their orginal bluray disc cus they get scratched from kids etc and then useless. some resort to just burning a backup copy to bd-r disc to preserve their original.

only other way is a HTPC with the right hardware and programs.

even syabas doesn't have any networked media tank that can play 3d bluray iso so I call bs on this Seagate thing. Seem just like the WD one which is also inferior to NMT's
post #17 of 51 Old 12-21-2010, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Doubt whatever you want, but I can tell you it plays 3d iso with ease. I am using a Mits WD-73738 as the display and its connected via HDMI through the 3d adapter included with the starter pack. I have watched Avatar (ISO), How to Train Your Dragon (ISO), Shrek Forever After (ISO), and many others (MKV's) with no issues.

I call bs on this as far as the isos. anything can play the mkv's

I dont think you are playing full untouched 3d bluray isos with menus just liek the disc and both 2d and 3d version played from the file.

if this seagate thing did this more ppl would know about it and be recommending it as the currently only media tank that can play full 3d bluray iso.

once again as of now nothing can but almost everything can play sbs 3d filies

I think you are mistaken. I would love if you are right and this device somehow slipped under the radar with the magic ability to play full 3d bluray iso when no other device can but it sounds too good to be true so it probably is.

If i could borrow one of these or buy from a store with return policy I would quickly test one basic 3d bluray iso, confirm it doesn't work and put this myth you have created to rest.
post #18 of 51 Old 12-23-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

I call bs on this as far as the isos. anything can play the mkv's

I dont think you are playing full untouched 3d bluray isos with menus just liek the disc and both 2d and 3d version played from the file.

if this seagate thing did this more ppl would know about it and be recommending it as the currently only media tank that can play full 3d bluray iso.

once again as of now nothing can but almost everything can play sbs 3d filies

I think you are mistaken. I would love if you are right and this device somehow slipped under the radar with the magic ability to play full 3d bluray iso when no other device can but it sounds too good to be true so it probably is.

If i could borrow one of these or buy from a store with return policy I would quickly test one basic 3d bluray iso, confirm it doesn't work and put this myth you have created to rest.

I second the bs call.
playing a 3D mkv file and a full 3D BD ISO is VERY VERY different.
The only way I've gotten 3D BD ISOs to play is with an HTPC, (though technically I don't know why they aren't saved as .udf files, they aren't actually ISO) or burned to BD-RE discs and then played through my Panasonic player.

The HTPC is showing it's age and struggles to play 3D content (yet plays everything else fine.. hrm)
If you are just looking to test this, what if you were to say do a Google search on 'mitsubishi 3d demo disc' I'm sure you are savvy enough to figure it out from there
post #19 of 51 Old 12-23-2010, 05:59 PM

Ok, so I have created a AVCHD folder in the root of my harddisk with the contents copied from a 3DBluray ISO (with the help of dvdfab virtual drive).
I connected it to my philips bdp7500mkII player and....it starts playing and I get the message 'this is a 3D movie, please take glasses etc etc'.

ps, I downloaded Oceans World ISO, and I'm able to select the language, but after that I can't select the 'play movie' in the root menu of the disk. But it started playing after a while
So I can watch 3D Bluray movies on my 3D-Bluray player, by fooling it with a AVCHD folder.

this was posted on another forum
post #20 of 51 Old 12-24-2010, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hceuterpe View Post
I second the bs call.
playing a 3D mkv file and a full 3D BD ISO is VERY VERY different.
The only way I've gotten 3D BD ISOs to play is with an HTPC, (though technically I don't know why they aren't saved as .udf files, they aren't actually ISO) or burned to BD-RE discs and then played through my Panasonic player.

The HTPC is showing it's age and struggles to play 3D content (yet plays everything else fine.. hrm)
If you are just looking to test this, what if you were to say do a Google search on 'mitsubishi 3d demo disc' I'm sure you are savvy enough to figure it out from there
I talked to him and he said something about a 3d starter kit but I think he means the Mitsubishi 3d starter pack meaning he is using the converter with his mitsu dlp meaning it converts any 3d to checkerboard 3d format for dlp and is half the resolution.

therefore it then might play the iso since its converting it to half the resolution which most everything can play.

still I haven't even heard many ppl say this and its almost reason to get a dlp and the converter if you can then watch full 3d bluay .iso from a cheap media tank. because even if its downconverting it to checkerboard for the dlp at half the resolution, its still probaby better then half sbs 3d format because at least its starting as full 3840x2160 frame packed 3d bluray.

but again I haven't heard ppl saying they were playing full 3d bluray iso from regular media tanks using the mitsu converter needed for 3d ready dlp tvs but I'm assuming thats what hes doing and why it works.

so its great news for mitsu dlp owners (and samsung dlp owners that get the geffen hdmi cable or hack the edid to work with the mitsu converter) as they can play full 3d bluray iso from cheap media tanks.

and even though dlp does 3d at half the resolution I'm sure full 3840x2160 iso still look great after the converter and you probably couldn't tell the difference too much if it was right next to the actual 3d bluray playing on a non dlp tv.

but personally I can't go back to lamp based dlp after having led dlp and the mitsu laservue 75" dlp is tempting but the price is almost as much as the sam 65" 3d led lc and the mitsu laservue is not wall mountable or flatscreen thin plus just always knowing its still a dlp and half the res I can't do it. if the laservue was the same price as mitsu lamp based dlp I'd consider it.

anyway I'm probably just going to build an htpc but i'm interested about the above guys post regarding changing the iso to AVCHD folder structure and it playing from some 3d blu players via hdd. that would be great if it works and I'd like to learn more about that or just try it.

my pan 3d bd player has usb and pan like sony uses avchd. in fact ps3 can play avchd folder structure so thats worth a try. and I think there are programs that can make a file into avchd folder structure but not sure if anything that can do it with iso so probably have extract the neccesarh files from the iso.
post #21 of 51 Old 12-24-2010, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadge007 View Post
Ok, so I have created a AVCHD folder in the root of my harddisk with the contents copied from a 3DBluray ISO (with the help of dvdfab virtual drive).
I connected it to my philips bdp7500mkII player and....it starts playing and I get the message 'this is a 3D movie, please take glasses etc etc'.

ps, I downloaded Oceans World ISO, and I'm able to select the language, but after that I can't select the 'play movie' in the root menu of the disk. But it started playing after a while
So I can watch 3D Bluray movies on my 3D-Bluray player, by fooling it with a AVCHD folder.

this was posted on another forum
please elaborate. you just used dvdfab virtual drive to take the files extracted from a 3d bluray iso and put into the AVCHD folder structure on usb hdd (ntfs i'm assuming) and then plugged the usb hdd into your 3d blu player and it plays but sounds like it doesnt let you select play movie but you just wait for auto play. hm.
post #22 of 51 Old 12-27-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I was hoping Popcorn hour was going to announce their next player with 3D ISO support / HDMI 1.4, it seems like the next natural upgrade to the C200 series which took them a year to work out some serious bugs.

I was using my HTPC with the Nvidia GT430 with my Acer 3D DLP, it was a good set. 1.4 HDMI for the 3D, HD audio streaming via DVI to my AVR since it's only 1.3. butttt....

it doesn't work with the JVC-RS40 I think you just bought as well. There is an issue with the HDMI handshaking and the JVC thinks the card is sending out a 2880x1080 signal. I have to get this working, I have 10TB of my movies including my 3D BD collection on a NAS. there is no way I am dropping down to a dedicated BD player.

I also have a NAS (Qnap 439 Pro) but I do not manage to stream full 3D ISO to my HTPC (i5 + Nvidia GTX 460). I have gigabit connections but it seams that the bandwidth is not sufficient. The movie is very sluggish.
How did you managed ?
I use Daemon tools for ISO mount.

YM : ender_labs
post #23 of 51 Old 12-30-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:

please elaborate. you just used dvdfab virtual drive to take the files extracted from a 3d bluray iso and put into the AVCHD folder structure on usb hdd (ntfs i'm assuming) and then plugged the usb hdd into your 3d blu player and it plays but sounds like it doesnt let you select play movie but you just wait for auto play. hm.

Ripping movie files from a 3D Blu-ray movie instead of an ISO breaks the movie. Try doing that and then burning it to a dual-layer BD disc and see what happens

My player recognizes that if I burn a 3D disc that fits on a DVD, it sees it as AVCHD, but says it's incompatible.

HOWEVER, the original poster said .ISO file.
post #24 of 51 Old 01-01-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

"please elaborate. you just used dvdfab virtual drive"

I suggest a trip to DVD Fab's web site.....

post #25 of 51 Old 02-04-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

So as it appears; currently the *only* way to play a full 3D Blu-ray ISO is via an HTPC, correct?

I spoke to tech support at Duneplayer.Com and he explained that a Sigma chip that has native support for "true" 3D (FullHD) is expected to released towards the end of this year; at which point they expect to issue a hardware upgrade to the Dune Series (I have the Smart D1) which will allow the players to play full 3D Blu-ray ISO. But that's long, long wait.

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
post #26 of 51 Old 06-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

I have Freeagent Theater + and DVDFab. My player can play iso (cloned to hard drive and 46.6 gb) very well, but in 2D. The picture quality is amazing, best I ever seen, very detailed. So far, the player could only play sbs; KMV (13 gb) and M2TS (9.37 gb) in 3D. The conversion by 3D Ripper were painful, very very slow (aout 15 to 18 hrs). The picture quality is watchable. It seams to me no palyer could play iso in 3D right now, except HTPC. I wonder is there better way to convert the file quicker? My tv is LG passive 3D.
post #27 of 51 Old 07-12-2011, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

"It has been discovered that some players including the Philips 7500mk2 can playback full 3D Bluray ISO's if they are extracted to a AVCHD directory on a NTFS formatted USB HD. "

I would like to know more about this as far as a list of media players that can do this and what exacty you do. Does it have full menu like the iso and ability to play the 2 or 3d version of the iso?
post #28 of 51 Old 07-21-2011, 06:01 PM

Liked: 11
I've found a couple 20-25gig SBS that will play on my Boxee, but that's about the best it can do. Boxee supports SBS and Above/Below mode (everything HDMI 1.3) and is the best player out there IMHO. The reason I call 'bull' for the 3rd time on the Freeagent guy is that unless you are a PS3 (and you compress the audio), HDMI 1.4 is required for full Blu-Ray 3D. It's as simple as that. Until 1.4 capable devices show up that aren't named Western Digital Live Hub (they can't even offer full DTS-MA audio), you are pretty much SOL. Now if PS3 Media Server and others start supporting BD ISOs, that may be another story and you may be able to use the PS3 3D capability to steam. Finally, the burning option with 50GB BDRs costs nearly as much as buying the thing (normal non-exclusive disc) and is a lot of hassle.

My advice is to hit ebay for titles you want and look for ones just selling the 3D disc by itself. Who watches anything else in that overpriced pack? I've had good success that way (around $15 for some good titles).

Also, I saw a forum thread somewhere where people were exchanging titles between them to experience other 3D discs. Worth checking out.

Just my 2 cents.
post #29 of 51 Old 07-22-2011, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"It has been discovered that some players including the Philips 7500mk2 can playback full 3D Bluray ISO's if they are extracted to a AVCHD directory on a NTFS formatted USB HD. "

I would like to know more about this as far as a list of media players that can do this and what exacty you do. Does it have full menu like the iso and ability to play the 2 or 3d version of the iso?

Is the Phillips 7500mk2 playing an SBS conversion? SBS is really 2D as far as the player is concerned. It is the 3D TV that takes the 2D SBS signal and converts it to a 3D display.

Perhaps there is a player that is doing the actual MVC 3D. Bluray iso that is not converted to SBS will have an MVC file on it, which is similar to the video in this file I have below.

The sample below is from my Sony TD10 camcorder that is MVC HD. This is not SBS.

Playing this file is legitimate, since it is not ripped from a disk, and I made it myself with my camcorder.

Are there any players that play this file directly in 3D? Are there any players that play native mvc 3D isos without needing a conversion to SBS?

File is about 94mbytes, 28 seconds

http://st7.us/mvc-sample0011.mts

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #30 of 51 Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

this thing says its "the only media player in the world that can play 3d bluray isos"
http://www.himedia-tech.cn/en/product_show.php?id=27

I'ma lso wodnering about teh oppo 3d bluray player that supposedly can play 3d bd isos from an attached external hdd.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page