Samsung 3d Blueray or Sony 3d Blueray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-19-2010, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
xsngx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung UN55c8000 coming, and I just purchased the 3d Starter Package with 2 3d Glasses and How to train a dragon.

I have a PS3, but im not sure if it will work (to watch 3d movies).

Now the question is if I do purchase a 3d Blue ray player, do I have to purchase a Samsung one or can I purchase another 3d blue ray player from other makers like Sony or Panasonic?
xsngx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 12-19-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
xsngx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im looking at Sony BDP-S570 and the Samsung BD-C6900. Please keep in mind I have a Samsung UN55c8000.
xsngx is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 12-20-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthJersey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 2,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
there is nothing stopping you from using a non-samsung 3d bluray player on your TV.
The only advantage is using the samsung bluray w/ the tv is the anynet+ option, which basically changes the tv to the correct input when you turn on your bluray player, and changes out of the input when the player is turned off
NorthJersey is online now  
post #4 of 11 Old 12-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Member
 
radz282003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm loving my 570! Loads quick, it doesn't look as good (IMHO) as my 560, but I wanted the 3D...
radz282003 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 12-20-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
xsngx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went and got the Sony BDP-S570, its about $100 cheaper than the Samsung one. Looking at the reviews the Sony one seem more reliable, I just hope I made the right decision for my Samsung UN55c8000.
xsngx is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 12-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Member
 
Dekka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One thing you might consider is that by going with a different brand of blu-ray player than your TV is that you get access to the content from the two makers. With the Samsung you'll get Samsung's exclusive apps and interface, with the Sony you'll access to Sony's. Had you gone with the Samsung blu-ray player on top of the Samsung TV, you would be "stuck" in Samsung's ecosystem without the ability to sample content from other providers.

For whatever that's worth.
Dekka is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 12-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Member
 
Savage5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BATON ROUGE!
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post

One thing you might consider is that by going with a different brand of blu-ray player than your TV is that you get access to the content from the two makers. With the Samsung you'll get Samsung's exclusive apps and interface, with the Sony you'll access to Sony's. Had you gone with the Samsung blu-ray player on top of the Samsung TV, you would be "stuck" in Samsung's ecosystem without the ability to sample content from other providers.

For whatever that's worth.

Nice theory!
Savage5 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 12-21-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthJersey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 2,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
most of the "important" apps like Hulu+,Netflix, etc are available on all brands so I'm not sure if I buy that argument. But it doesn't hurt to look to see which apps are exclusive to each brand
NorthJersey is online now  
post #9 of 11 Old 12-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Member
 
Dekka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

most of the "important" apps like Hulu+,Netflix, etc are available on all brands so I'm not sure if I buy that argument. But it doesn't hurt to look to see which apps are exclusive to each brand

Even for "unimportant" apps, that's not much of a reason to not choose to diversify - what will you lose, some easy remote cannibalization?

Just quickly going over the list of available apps on the Sony, what I don't recall being available on the Samsung are:

Qrocity
Sony exclusives like - Salt and Michael Jackson previews, Sony Digital Cinema Concert Series, Inside Sony Pictures
blip.tv
Crackle
Fear.net
Yoga for Everyone
Wired
MyPlay
Golflink
eHow.com
Flixster
Pongalo
NPR
Lollapalooza Radio
Many collections of videos and other web portals.

Samsung exclusives I didn't see on the Sony:
Yahoo! (including Finance, News, Weather, and Fantasy Football widgets)
eBay
Flickr
NBC.com
Making of
Puzdoku
Sudoku
NASA TV
CNBC
1337pwn
Twitter
Youtube
Vudu
Blockbuster
CinemaNow
TheCoolTV
DailyMotion
Picassa Web
TedTV
Several children's games
Napster
TVGuide
Facebook
Extraordinary Mommy
CrazeTV
Samsung's Explore 3D
rovi
Ap Newsticker

There are others to add to this list, but this was just a quick sampling of the non-redundant apps across the two devices. Of course, Samsung and Sony share many apps, and perhaps some from this list, but with MY combination of Samsung 3D TV and Sony 3d Blu-ray player, this was what was available to me from the two makers by choosing to not buy a Samsung player on top of my Samsung TV.

YMMV
Dekka is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 12-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Member
 
Bulls729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Riverview, Fl
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsngx View Post

I have a Samsung UN55c8000 coming, and I just purchased the 3d Starter Package with 2 3d Glasses and How to train a dragon.

I have a PS3, but im not sure if it will work (to watch 3d movies).

Now the question is if I do purchase a 3d Blue ray player, do I have to purchase a Samsung one or can I purchase another 3d blue ray player from other makers like Sony or Panasonic?

I'm a little confused at what you mean. Why wont your PS3 play 3DBD? if you jail-broke it then yea, you would not have the proper firmware, but if not it does play 3DBD just fine as long as you have FW V. 3.50+.
Bulls729 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 12-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Member
 
Scholar79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

there is nothing stopping you from using a non-samsung 3d bluray player on your TV.
The only advantage is using the samsung bluray w/ the tv is the anynet+ option, which basically changes the tv to the correct input when you turn on your bluray player, and changes out of the input when the player is turned off

I made a comment on another thread, however, the original post in that thread was slightly different. What I'm asking here is, is there a way to have the TV "default" to a certain input when the Blu-Ray player is shut off. Mine always goes to antenna, even though HDMI-1 is the only usable and active input. Irritating as I either need to (1) shut off Anynet on the Blu-ray [thus negating the 'nice & convenient' feature when you turn it on], or (2) always manually select HDMI-1 input when I shut off the player.

I have a Samsung PN58C8000 and a Samsung BD-P6900.
Scholar79 is offline  
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off