Samsung 3d Blueray or Sony 3d Blueray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-19-2010, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung UN55c8000 coming, and I just purchased the 3d Starter Package with 2 3d Glasses and How to train a dragon.

I have a PS3, but im not sure if it will work (to watch 3d movies).

Now the question is if I do purchase a 3d Blue ray player, do I have to purchase a Samsung one or can I purchase another 3d blue ray player from other makers like Sony or Panasonic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-19-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Im looking at Sony BDP-S570 and the Samsung BD-C6900. Please keep in mind I have a Samsung UN55c8000.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-20-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
there is nothing stopping you from using a non-samsung 3d bluray player on your TV.
The only advantage is using the samsung bluray w/ the tv is the anynet+ option, which basically changes the tv to the correct input when you turn on your bluray player, and changes out of the input when the player is turned off
post #4 of 11 Old 12-20-2010, 10:55 AM

I'm loving my 570! Loads quick, it doesn't look as good (IMHO) as my 560, but I wanted the 3D...
post #5 of 11 Old 12-20-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

I went and got the Sony BDP-S570, its about $100 cheaper than the Samsung one. Looking at the reviews the Sony one seem more reliable, I just hope I made the right decision for my Samsung UN55c8000.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-20-2010, 05:21 PM

One thing you might consider is that by going with a different brand of blu-ray player than your TV is that you get access to the content from the two makers. With the Samsung you'll get Samsung's exclusive apps and interface, with the Sony you'll access to Sony's. Had you gone with the Samsung blu-ray player on top of the Samsung TV, you would be "stuck" in Samsung's ecosystem without the ability to sample content from other providers.

For whatever that's worth.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-21-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post

One thing you might consider is that by going with a different brand of blu-ray player than your TV is that you get access to the content from the two makers. With the Samsung you'll get Samsung's exclusive apps and interface, with the Sony you'll access to Sony's. Had you gone with the Samsung blu-ray player on top of the Samsung TV, you would be "stuck" in Samsung's ecosystem without the ability to sample content from other providers.

For whatever that's worth.

Nice theory!
post #8 of 11 Old 12-21-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
most of the "important" apps like Hulu+,Netflix, etc are available on all brands so I'm not sure if I buy that argument. But it doesn't hurt to look to see which apps are exclusive to each brand
post #9 of 11 Old 12-23-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

most of the "important" apps like Hulu+,Netflix, etc are available on all brands so I'm not sure if I buy that argument. But it doesn't hurt to look to see which apps are exclusive to each brand

Even for "unimportant" apps, that's not much of a reason to not choose to diversify - what will you lose, some easy remote cannibalization?

Just quickly going over the list of available apps on the Sony, what I don't recall being available on the Samsung are:

Qrocity
Sony exclusives like - Salt and Michael Jackson previews, Sony Digital Cinema Concert Series, Inside Sony Pictures
blip.tv
Crackle
Fear.net
Yoga for Everyone
Wired
MyPlay
Golflink
eHow.com
Flixster
Pongalo
NPR
Lollapalooza Radio
Many collections of videos and other web portals.

Samsung exclusives I didn't see on the Sony:
Yahoo! (including Finance, News, Weather, and Fantasy Football widgets)
eBay
Flickr
NBC.com
Making of
Puzdoku
Sudoku
NASA TV
CNBC
1337pwn
Twitter
Youtube
Vudu
Blockbuster
CinemaNow
TheCoolTV
DailyMotion
Picassa Web
TedTV
Several children's games
Napster
TVGuide
Facebook
Extraordinary Mommy
CrazeTV
Samsung's Explore 3D
rovi
Ap Newsticker

There are others to add to this list, but this was just a quick sampling of the non-redundant apps across the two devices. Of course, Samsung and Sony share many apps, and perhaps some from this list, but with MY combination of Samsung 3D TV and Sony 3d Blu-ray player, this was what was available to me from the two makers by choosing to not buy a Samsung player on top of my Samsung TV.

YMMV
post #10 of 11 Old 12-25-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsngx View Post

I have a Samsung UN55c8000 coming, and I just purchased the 3d Starter Package with 2 3d Glasses and How to train a dragon.

I have a PS3, but im not sure if it will work (to watch 3d movies).

Now the question is if I do purchase a 3d Blue ray player, do I have to purchase a Samsung one or can I purchase another 3d blue ray player from other makers like Sony or Panasonic?

I'm a little confused at what you mean. Why wont your PS3 play 3DBD? if you jail-broke it then yea, you would not have the proper firmware, but if not it does play 3DBD just fine as long as you have FW V. 3.50+.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-29-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

there is nothing stopping you from using a non-samsung 3d bluray player on your TV.
The only advantage is using the samsung bluray w/ the tv is the anynet+ option, which basically changes the tv to the correct input when you turn on your bluray player, and changes out of the input when the player is turned off

I made a comment on another thread, however, the original post in that thread was slightly different. What I'm asking here is, is there a way to have the TV "default" to a certain input when the Blu-Ray player is shut off. Mine always goes to antenna, even though HDMI-1 is the only usable and active input. Irritating as I either need to (1) shut off Anynet on the Blu-ray [thus negating the 'nice & convenient' feature when you turn it on], or (2) always manually select HDMI-1 input when I shut off the player.

I have a Samsung PN58C8000 and a Samsung BD-P6900.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page