New Samsung BD Player Does 2D to 3D Conversion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-28-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Samsung Electronics has developed a Blu-ray Disc player that's just 23 millimeters thick, and plans to unveil it at next week's International Consumer Electronics Show, it said Tuesday.

The slim player supports 3D Blu-ray content and includes a function to convert conventional 2D content into a quasi-3D image, Samsung said. The player can also connect to the Internet and display content from sites such as YouTube, Facebook and Twitter on a TV screen.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/21500...ml?tk=rss_news
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-28-2010, 11:25 AM

Liked: 10
Interesting....I wonder how good the "quasi" is going to look and if it applies to DVD or just Blu-Ray.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-28-2010, 12:46 PM

Liked: 10
Well I would assume it is the same tech they have in their TV's. If so then it will work surprisingly well, but not well enough that you will want to bother watching most 2D content in 3D.
post #4 of 16 Old 12-28-2010, 01:32 PM

Liked: 13
Sucks I recently got the BD6900 had I seen this i would have waited. How far is the realease date?
post #5 of 16 Old 12-28-2010, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Have to laugh. Panasonic makes the only 3D BD player that is compatible with the 3D ready Samsung DLP RPTVs (checkerboard output) and now Samsung makes the only 3D BD player that does 2D to 3D conversion for the Panasonic VT20/25 series which has no 2D to 3D conversion feature (along with the Mits 3DTV RPTVs). AFAIK, all the Samsung 3DTVs have that feature.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-28-2010, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I'll definitely keep an eye on this one. I like the feature on my Samsung plasma, and I could create some content for viewing on the player simply by converting video files (if they won't play natively) to AVCHD or Blu-ray format. It'll be an interesting enhancement to my JVC RS40 projector when it ships. The JVC, like the Panasonic VT series, doesn't have 2D to 3D conversion. Some shows will never, ever be in 3D, and I find myself liking pseudo-3D episodes of Eureka and some other programs on my Samsung. I'll look forward to finding out if the player can do conversion as well as the Samsung TVs.

Joe Clark

post #7 of 16 Old 01-04-2011, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Any model number yet?
post #8 of 16 Old 01-04-2011, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone headed to CES this week? Any info on this player would be appreciated. I'd like to get it for my JVC RS40, which has no built-in 2D to 3D conversion feature.

Joe Clark

post #9 of 16 Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I am of the same mind. I am adding an inexpensive 3D ready DLP projector to my HT. I already have the PS3 with 3D capabilities, a Panasonic 3DBD player coming from Amazon and if this player is decently priced and does a decent job at 2D to 3D conversion, I'd pop on one just to have the option. Never seen the 2D to 3D in the Samsung sets so I am not sure if I will like the effect or be totally unimpressed.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-06-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

The new Panasonic BDT-210 3D BD player also does 2D to 3D conversion
post #11 of 16 Old 01-06-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The new Panasonic BDT-210 3D BD player also does 2D to 3D conversion

Interesting. I wonder how good Panasonic's implementation is. Samsung's is fairly decent. At least it's one more alternative for displays that don't have the capability to do conversion natively.

Joe Clark

post #12 of 16 Old 01-06-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I've seen Panasonic's implementation of 2D to 3D conversion and I think it is very much like Samsungs. From what I've seen I'd put Samsung and Panasonic out front and Sony coming in a dismal last - I didn't find Sony's 2D to 3D conversion effective.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-07-2011, 08:43 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Read this a couple of weeks ago on HDguru.com.

If not too expensive I will pick it up for the conversion feature since my Panny doesn't have one.

While not as good as true 3D, at least I will be able to watch MegaMind and other 3D exclusives immediately after the standard blu-ray release.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-07-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

The new Sony BDP-S780 also does 2D to 3D conversion
post #15 of 16 Old 01-07-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I've seen Panasonic's implementation of 2D to 3D conversion and I think it is very much like Samsungs. From what I've seen I'd put Samsung and Panasonic out front and Sony coming in a dismal last - I didn't find Sony's 2D to 3D conversion effective.
From what I've seen of 2D to 3D on the Sony TVs, I agree. I'll probably get either the Samsung or the Panasonic player, to be used with a JVC RS40 projector (which was just delivered about an hour ago and will spend the next few hours warming up to room temperature). Unfortunately, the 3D emitter that was supposed to ship with it has not arrived yet, so I won't have big screen 3D this weekend.

Joe Clark

post #16 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 95
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA (January 5, 2011) - Panasonic Corporation of North America , a major developer and contributor to the success of the Blu-ray format, today introduced an expanded Blu-ray DiscTM player lineup with three new Full HD 3D models - the DMP-BDT310, DMP-BDT210, DMP-BDT110 - and a new 2D model, the DMP-BD75.

The BDT310, BDT210 and BDT110 are all high-quality Blu-ray Disc players with 2D- 3D Conversion, which can convert 2D images from DVDs and Blu-ray discs into 3D with natural depth perception. With the 3D Effect Controller the user can control the leaping effects of 3D images, as well as allowing one to adjust the amount of depth. This permits the user to view expansive images and enjoy 3D content with exactly the kind of 3D effects they want. Also contributing to higher picture quality is the new UniPhier chip, which simultaneously lowers power consumption. Vertical color reference process has also been increased by 1.5 times, to express fine details and nuances in movie scenes with the Adaptive Chroma Processing. The HDMI Pure Audio improves sound quality, delivering pure and robust bass sound reproduction with minimal noise compared to previous models.

The newest addition to VIERA CAST, Panasonic's proprietary internet solution, on the BDT310, BDT210 and BDT110 is the video/voice communication service, Skype1. With this new application and optional camera, users can engage in long distance video/voice conversations with family and friends right from their TV. Panasonic has made it even easier to access this through the Blu-ray Disc player with a devoted Skype button on the remote control. Other features of Skype include Standby Mode, Auto Answering Video Message, which allows users to create a personalized message when away, and Video Voice Mail Recording which automatically records messages left onto an SD card. These three models are also DLNA-certified, allowing users to enjoy content with their Blu-ray Disc player, from a computer or other DLNA compatible device.

VIERA CAST's popular sites, including Netflix, Amazon VOD, You Tube, Pandora, twitter, Bloomberg News, a weather channel and Skype continue on the 2011 models and are joined by a host of exciting features and apps, all optimized for the best possible user experience. Included in VIERA CAST's 2011 rooster are such apps as Napster, CinemaNow, and access to popular sports sites NHL, NBA, MLB and MLS2.

Panasonic's 2011 Blu-ray Disc Player lineup incorporates the successes of its 2010 line, while adding innovative features that meet the demand of consumers and new trends in technology, said Richard Simone, Vice President, Panasonic, Consumer Electronics Company, Merchandising, Imaging and Entertainment Products. Features such as the Touch-Free Sensor, Home Screen Wallpaper and Skype allow consumers to easily personalize their entertainment experience to fit their lifestyle. And now the consumer can enjoy the benefits of Skype from any HDTV.

The BDT310, BDT210, BDT110 and BD75 feature a unique updated design, making operation simple with icons and text indications. They also have ultra-quick playback. The BDT310 and BDT210 feature a Touch-Free Sensor to open and close the disc tray for smooth operation, perfect for dark rooms. Additionally, each of the 3D Blu-ray Disc players works with an iPhone as a remote.

New networking capabilities are among the highlight features of the new 2011 Blu-ray Disc player lineup. All four players allow users to customize their own home screen using your favorite photo or wallpaper. Simply insert an SD card into the Blu-ray Disc player to transfer over the image. The BDT310 and BDT210 feature a built-in Wi-Fi System, while the BDT110 requires an optional wireless adaptor for local area network connections.

Energy efficiency and sustainability are also important to the overall design and functionality of these models. All four models have compact slim designs and packaging reduction (50% less from 2010 models), significantly reducing CO2 emissions. The BDT310, BDT210 and BDT110 have an energy-saving design which saves on electricity bills and natural resources with a 48 % power reduction.

The Panasonic DMP-BDT310, DMP-BDT210, DMP-BDT110 and DMP-BD75 will be available in the spring of 2011.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page