post #451 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by harob111 View Post
Thanks again Don....... I hear you about Mac's being elitist type devices.
Can you quickly tell me how to view my videos on my computer then? When I hook up the TD10 via USB2 either straight to the camera or with the a card reader, I get a folder on my desktop... from there, If I click on it, it shows a bunch of icons that don't do anything. If I open imovie I can't import anything...
Thoughts?
Macs have innovation, and dedicated brand recognition due to the brilliant marketing strategy of a Silicon Valley acquaintance named Guy Kawasaki. Check out his many books.

Many Mac users install extras to have the flexibility to also run Windows software, and they have some nifty tools that PCs can't run. The good with the good.

On the TD10, it may help to select Mass Storage USB mode like this.

MENU > SETUP > USB CONNECT SETTING > select MASS STORAGE

The icons "don't do anything" are the folders that contain the files inside the TD10 that you are accessing though the Mac. This makes the TD10 appear as a hard drive to the Mac while the TD10 is in "mass storage mode."

- .MTS Video files can be found here:

100MSDCF > BDMV > STREAM > .MTS files

- .JPG 2D still shot photos can be found here:

DCIM > 100MSDCF > .JPG 2D still images

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
There is one more thing I discovered with the Sony TD10. I could not get the old WD passport drive to be recognized at all at first. Why? because I used some off the shelf cable adapters I had that work otherwise for other connection like to my laptop. Not for the TD10. So, I went to the box and got out the Sony cables that came with the TD10 and voila! it connected and powered the WD Passport, formatted and copied some of my test shooting of 3D over. Later tonight I will test the drive connect to my various USB inputs in my Home theater. I understand PS3 is known to support this. We'll see.
Indeed, the Sony supplied (in the box) USB adapter cable that has the female USB on one end is needed to get the TD10 to talk to external storage devices, while the gray Sony supplied cable is for connecting to PCs, where the TD10 behaves like a storage / media source device.

Using the correct cable, I tried a SIIG model JU-SA0912-S1 USB enclosure with a WD Scorpio Blue WD25000BEVT drive inside, and the Sony TD10 would neither power it nor recognize this when I used external power. It did work with a notebook computer connected in between, and the TD10 again in Mass Storage Mode with the grey Sony cable.

Using the Sony cable with the female USB, the TD10 did recognize various USB flash drives, including Micro SD to USB adapters. Good to hear that an older Passport Drive worked too. I'll give that a try. Thanks Don.

Excellent point about the PS3. That would be a Grey cable connection to the TD10. The PS3 also has a free Sony supplied video editor feature, which can make an easy upload to youtube. Has that editor been tried with TD10 MVC-3D?

Icerat4 shared with us that the newer Passport SE that has USB 3.0 and 2.0 does work. Has anyone conducted speed tests to see if the newer Passport version drive, that allows USB 3.0, works any faster than the older version that only does USB 2.0, while the drive is used in USB 2.0 mode, for example with the TD10 which is only USB 2.0?

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #453 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 09:57 AM

Hi, gang -

I just wanted to jump in, say hello, and mention that I'm a Mac user who has had the TD-10 for a few days now. A few quick notes:

I love the camera already. I've been viewing in 3D on a 46" Samsung LCD using shutter glasses. The image quality and 3D depth are remarkable. I can see no downside at all to the rather narrow distance between the lenses; whatever Sony's doing to compensate for it, it's working.

Particularly surprising is the macro capability. I moved in until I was about 2 inches away from a cupcake; on the LCD, it looked like a 3-foot cupcake floating 4 feet in front of the screen. Amazing, and in perfect focus and detail.

I *have* been able to use VLC to view *2D* movies on my Mac. It has the added advantage of supporting the 5.1 surround stream during playback.

I'm really not sweating bullets at this point about getting stereo video files on to the Mac for editing; I plan on doing that with a hardware fix. I have a decent high-end FCP setup going; broadcast monitor for color correction, Blackmagic Decklink video card for monitoring.

I'm planning on replacing the Decklink card with their new 3D Extreme card; this will let me capture the 3D as two separate video streams via HDMI, which I can then transcode to ProRes and edit in parallel (monitoring in 2D) in FCP. When finished, I can export movies of the two streams, and use the BMD Media Express software to play them and send them to the 3D LCD in full stereo 3D.

Kind of a kludge, but it should do the trick. I also do stereo 3D animation which I'm looking forward to viewing in the same way (no more anaglyph!) and plan to develop the chops to composite 3D video and animation together. A challenge, but fun.

In the meanwhile, if anyone finds something that will demux these two video streams, I'm all ears. I won't be springing for Vegas; though I can reboot into Windows, I'm staying with OS X software for production. A Windows demux utility for the short term would be interesting, though...

If anyone has questions about the camera or working on the Mac, I'll try my best... but remember, I'm trying to figure this all out, too.

P.S. - I forgot to mention that there is another Randy Walters on AVS who has been here for a long time, and has authored many, many posts. I'm not that Randy Walters!
post #454 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Walters View Post

Hi, gang -

I just wanted to jump in, say hello, and mention that I'm a Mac user who has had the TD-10 for a few days now. A few quick notes:

I love the camera already. I've been viewing in 3D on a 46" Samsung LCD using shutter glasses. The image quality and 3D depth are remarkable. I can see no downside at all to the rather narrow distance between the lenses; whatever Sony's doing to compensate for it, it's working.

Particularly surprising is the macro capability. I moved in until I was about 2 inches away from a cupcake; on the LCD, it looked like a 3-foot cupcake floating 4 feet in front of the screen. Amazing, and in perfect focus and detail.

I *have* been able to use VLC to view *2D* movies on my Mac. It has the added advantage of supporting the 5.1 surround stream during playback.

I'm really not sweating bullets at this point about getting stereo video files on to the Mac for editing; I plan on doing that with a hardware fix. I have a decent high-end FCP setup going; broadcast monitor for color correction, Blackmagic Decklink video card for monitoring.

I'm planning on replacing the Decklink card with their new 3D Extreme card; this will let me capture the 3D as two separate video streams via HDMI, which I can then transcode to ProRes and edit in parallel (monitoring in 2D) in FCP. When finished, I can export movies of the two streams, and use the BMD Media Express software to play them and send them to the 3D LCD in full stereo 3D.

Kind of a kludge, but it should do the trick. I also do stereo 3D animation which I'm looking forward to viewing in the same way (no more anaglyph!) and plan to develop the chops to composite 3D video and animation together. A challenge, but fun.

In the meanwhile, if anyone finds something that will demux these two video streams, I'm all ears. I won't be springing for Vegas; though I can reboot into Windows, I'm staying with OS X software for production. A Windows demux utility for the short term would be interesting, though...

If anyone has questions about the camera or working on the Mac, I'll try my best... but remember, I'm trying to figure this all out, too.

P.S. - I forgot to mention that there is another Randy Walters on AVS who has been here for a long time, and has authored many, many posts. I'm not that Randy Walters!

Sounds like you are in the industry or alternatively a very dedicated hobbiest. Thanks for the info.
post #455 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerat4 View Post

Thanks Don npfv100 list everywheres at 159 Amazon 48 buck Thanks ordered 1 up

They only had 3 left when I placed my order just before yours. Looks like one lucky guy/gal is going to get the last one.
(Ditto thanks to Don for the earlier response.)
post #456 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Actually, I think we all broke some forum rules here but it was to the benefit of the 3D early adopter shooters in the family. Sorry David. I would have asked for permission but decided it was just better to say Sorry! we'll try not to do it again. I just forgot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #457 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I finally had a chance to view this Sony cam out here in Japan.
I must say, that LCD looks amazing in 3D. WAY WAY WAY better than the JVC LCD, I'm pretty jealous over that. Also had a chance to view myself in 3D on a Sony TV being shot by the cam, looked great and when I stuck my finger at the lens, it came outa the TV at me.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #458 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

Sounds like you are in the industry or alternatively a very dedicated hobbiest. Thanks for the info.

Yep, shooting/editing HD is one of the things that helps pay for the gizmos!
post #459 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 02:28 PM

Does anyone have any idea on how to keep these lenses clean and free from scratches? I want to invest in a UV filter or something, but not sure how it would screw in.
post #460 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

bravia3D- Does the JVC camcorder have a way to trim clips' heads and tails; and join clips in a group into 1 with transitions and add music inside the playback section of the camcorder?

I was exploring this in the Sony and it is pretty slick what you can do. This is for those who want to do some really basic editing of their clips, trim off the junk, split 1 into two and then trim heads and tails. copy all the clips to an SD card in a collection and then present them with music background. My jaw dropped when I saw what they have put into this. It seems the transitions, are at random but maybe you can select them in the highlight settings . The feature is called "Highlight" I now found the Highlight settings where you can select your music and adjust the mix in volume, Different themes, tempos, and timings are all available. When satisfied you then save the presentation for future playback. Talk about easy editng of a 3D presentation!

Quote:
I must say, that LCD looks amazing in 3D. WAY WAY WAY better than the JVC LCD, I'm pretty jealous over that.

I told you people who just had to have the JVC if you ever saw the quality in the Sony you would pee in your pants! Quick, sell the JVC before the word gets out and buy a Sony

Don Landis
post #461 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

Please let me remind you that YOU came up with the term "manipulation".... not me.

And you tried to tell me what I meant by it. Doesn't work like that.

Quote:

I was under the impression that the JVC camera was the [b]ONLY[/]device that could playback the JVC footage

Impressions are a poor substitute for knowledge. TMT5 plays the files in 3D and virtually every video player app worth its salt plays the 2D stream of the 3D file just fine, with audio no less. And can you guess why? Because the players follow the same AVC spec as the 3D file format used by the JVC cam.

Quote:

Do you have any idea how silly you're sounding?

Not at all to anyone who understands format specifications.

Quote:

Zero bearing?

Yes, zero. Zilch. I'm talking about input while you appear to be talking about output. The assets used to create a 3D Blu-ray do not have to be BD compliant in the slightest. I can shoot with two VHS-C camcorders for all I care, transfer the footage to PC in pretty much any format, import the files in Vegas and use them to create a 3D Blu-ray. It doesn't matter if the source files are BD compliant or not; Vegas can create a 3D Blu-ray out of them as long as proper support for the source file format has been programmed into it.

Since this discussion has nothing to with the topic of this thread and your arguments are mainly a mix of bluster and ignorance, I'll sign off and leave this thread in peace, starting now.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #462 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:

bravia3D- Does the JVC camcorder have a way to trim clips' heads and tails; and join clips in a group into 1 with transitions and add music inside the playback section of the camcorder?

I was exploring this in the Sony and it is pretty slick what you can do. This is for those who want to do some really basic editing of their clips, trim off the junk, split 1 into two and then trim heads and tails. copy all the clips to an SD card in a collection and then present them with music background. My jaw dropped when I saw what they have put into this. It seems the transitions, are at random but maybe you can select them in the highlight settings . The feature is called "Highlight" I now found the Highlight settings where you can select your music and adjust the mix in volume, Different themes, tempos, and timings are all available. When satisfied you then save the presentation for future playback. Talk about easy editng of a 3D presentation!

I told you people who just had to have the JVC if you ever saw the quality in the Sony you would pee in your pants! Quick, sell the JVC before the word gets out and buy a Sony

Funny you should bring this up. I'm digging into the JVC MediaBrowser software more tonight. I assume you're talking about MVC editing, aren't you, Don?

Here's an overview of what you can do with it, although I'm sure this will be incomplete. I'm just getting into a lot of these features. There are promised upgrades (including Full HD 3D playback from the computer) in July. You can archive all your footage to and play it back from an external Blu-ray recorder or USB hard drive. Side by side (MTS) files can be pulled off the camcorder and edited in anything that edits AVCHD. You can trim heads and tails from MVC clips, arrange them in a storyboard and write them back out to SD card for playback. No music or transitions that I can find. You can write 3D MVC files out to Blu-ray discs or AVCHD (onto DVD recordables) as side by side, or as 2D video, for playback on almost any Blu-ray player. The software converts the MVC to side by side or 2D, then writes it out in standard Blu-ray or AVCHD format to the discs.

Joe Clark

post #463 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm really looking forward to seeing some more TD10 MVC clips. I can't watch them in 3D, of course, but at least I can get a good idea about the 2D image quality. How about something shot in really good light?

Joe Clark

post #464 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Are you using Vegas 10d to do all this editing or something else?
post #465 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dmadman View Post

Are you using Vegas 10d to do all this editing or something else?

I use Sony Vegas 10d but the comment was about what can be done sans computer, just holding the camcorder in your hand and editing the clips you shot right in the camera, then saving the result to the camera memory. Haven't even connected it to a computer. Consequently, all the work is done with the video as seen on the screen and don't even need to worry about MVC or what form the clip is in. However, one should note that the Sony only uses one file format for all that is shot in 3D. It is MVC. In 2D there are several resolutions to choose from.

Joe- what sort of MVC clip do you want to see? Weather has been terrible today so I didn't do any shooting at all. I'm spending my time learning and getting really comfortable with the camera as a shooting kit. I'm off for 4 days of shooting next week so I'll be doing something then. I'll be doing bright sunlight, indoor, and some night time stuff with lots of interesting subject matter. Hope to even shoot a laser light show and fireworks display. But for now what would you like to see as just a clip of two. If weather is nice I'll do something tomorrow.

Don Landis
post #466 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 07:00 PM

Here are links to two 3D streams that were copied directly from the TD-10 to an external drive attached to the camera's USB port. These are completely unprocessed.

The files are fairly large... 131MB and 61 MB. Enjoy!

http://memepuffs.com/indoor.MTS

http://memepuffs.com/outdoor.MTS

I'd love to see if anyone can manage to demux one of these into two full HD movies using some relatively inexpensive utility; something short of Vegas. Good luck!

P.S. For the record, VLC plays these back in 2D, no sweat.
post #467 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I use Sony Vegas 10d but the comment was about what can be done sans computer, just holding the camcorder in your hand and editing the clips you shot right in the camera, then saving the result to the camera memory. Haven't even connected it to a computer. Consequently, all the work is done with the video as seen on the screen and don't even need to worry about MVC or what form the clip is in. However, one should note that the Sony only uses one file format for all that is shot in 3D. It is MVC. In 2D there are several resolutions to choose from.

Joe- what sort of MVC clip do you want to see? Weather has been terrible today so I didn't do any shooting at all. I'm spending my time learning and getting really comfortable with the camera as a shooting kit. I'm off for 4 days of shooting next week so I'll be doing something then. I'll be doing bright sunlight, indoor, and some night time stuff with lots of interesting subject matter. Hope to even shoot a laser light show and fireworks display. But for now what would you like to see as just a clip of two. If weather is nice I'll do something tomorrow.

Thanks, Don. Something with lots of detail and color, if possible, preferably shot outside with sunlight. I have a lot of such footage from the JVC, and I'd like to be able to compare similar types of footage.

Also, I wanted to ask you if you have any recommendations for a micro-jib. I really like the Blackbird stabilizer (it's more flexible and easier to use than my Steadicam JR was), but I think a really, really small jib would be better for the kinds of things I shoot, and the way I shoot. I need something I can carry easily and set up fast. Nothing remotely large or time consuming.

Joe Clark

post #468 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

And you tried to tell me what I meant by it. Doesn't work like that.

No. I tried telling you it was the wrong word altogether. In today's world we don't need to "manipulate" data, because in today's world consumer cams are set up to AVOID the need for data "manipulation" The data is already in a compliant state.... well... that's true for most consumer cams except of course for JVC . Authoring/burning disks today simply means ORGANIZING the data into a particular file structure.

It's JVC which needs the data "manipulation"... which BTW puts it in line for a comparison to the VHS cam you mentioned

Anyhow... what I can't quite understand here is why you're limiting your blame to Sony Vegas. Avid MC won't accept a JVC MVC file.... heck... MC won't even readily accept a MPG file.... Adobe won't accept JVC.... FCP won't accept JVC.... corel... pinnacle.... magix.... etc.
Yet the non acceptance of a JVC MVC file seems to be all SCS's fault.
So tell me.... in this little dream world of yours... does JVC get to accept ANY blame at all, or are they just the poor innocent pawns in all of this and we should all bend over backwards to accommodate any whacky format they happen to put out?

And if blu ray compliance is not and should not be a consideration then why would you say that JVC went with an internal conversion to avchd SBS (with ac3) when off-loading the 3D for more conventional services? After all...they could have stuck with their rather shabby mp4/aac choice
post #469 of 1579 Old 05-14-2011, 10:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Randy- Lots of good natural color in the indoor shot, especially for the fact it was auto white balance in a room with Fluorescent lighting. This is usually very tough to AWB as it is 4000 °K. Still, I don't see nearly the red overtones as I saw in most of the JVC indoor stuff. The clay pots are especially telling in that the color was very natural. I think JVC would have given it a warm fuzzy look. It's something I noticed with Joe's and mostly Frank's JVC video.
The outdoor shot looked like an overcast day which also was not properly white balanced. Overcast creates a typical white color temperature of 8000 °K and the camera wants to see 5600. So, I always look to the sky and if high noon blue sky I know it is 5600 but if overcast, I always execute a manual WB to pull more warmth into the shot. While the Sony has Manual WB in 2D mode it does not give you a °K readout. My Broadcast cameras all give a real light meter readout so I got used to working that way and over the years have developed an eye for what the color temperature is. Most people leave the camera in auto which is fine as few were ever taught to think in °K. I think from what I've seen JVC adds some interesting coloration to the image, less visible on outdoor shots but over done on 3200 °K indoor.

Don Landis
post #470 of 1579 Old 05-15-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:

Why the heck I am just stunned. I read every manual on this device that I could get my hands on online and there is nothing about editing inside the camera. Now I am wondering how much capability there is that I cant even read about. If anyone has some pdf manual or something that I am missing please post it here.
post #471 of 1579 Old 05-15-2011, 06:52 AM

Here's a link to Sony's manual for the TD-10...

http://memepuffs.com//HDR-TD-10.pdf

Don - it's a little embarrassing for me to throw up something set on full auto, as I'm generally much more painstaking... but these shots are among the first I took with the camera the morning after it arrived. On the bleeding edge, once again. The outdoor shot was definitely under overcast conditions; I had a few minutes to get out during lunchtime, and I grabbed the chance.

There's something else going on in the indoor shot; because I knew I wanted plants in my workspace, I went to the trouble of buying and installing full-spectrum fluorescents right above my plants. They're the only ones in the whole office space, and they definitely make a difference in the color of the indoor shot. The plants love 'em... they're thriving.
post #472 of 1579 Old 05-15-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Never be embarrassed about using full auto- In documentary work, I tell my people when the action happens I don't want to hear the excuse you were too busy tying to tweak the manual settings in the camera and missed the shot.

One additional question, however, did you notice the blue streaks in the white on the cow and on the lower right side of the image on the sidewalk? What is that?

3Dmadman- Yes, I agree with you. The manual sucks! They missed quite a bit and that is why I've been spending so much time exploring through the menus.

BTW- I have the hard wires remote control and it works great with the TD10. I tested it with 500ft of extension cable. No problem! Also not in the manual.

The manual adjustment knob is so lacking in the manual it could be considered in error. The menu gives excellent descriptions of each setting. Probably the best place to have a manual, on screen, anyway.

The knob only allows for white balance shift but the on screen settings allow the full 3200 5600 and manual set white balance. I have no idea what the manual set range is but it does work great for 2500 °K lighting as I checked that.

Don Landis
post #473 of 1579 Old 05-15-2011, 08:53 AM

Don - the blue lines on the sidewalk are stray-painted marks left to alert construction crews. Yes, they're actually there.

The color on the cow appears to be an artifact of the way the camera is handling the transition away from blown-out highlights - and *that* I have no explanation for.
post #474 of 1579 Old 05-15-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Don- The JVC doe's allow you to edit the files on the cam itself. You can delete parts you don't like. But you can't add music on the cam itself. With the software you can edit and add music. Sounds like Sony has beat the JVC in the LCD and edit functions.

I just may try to sell my JVC on an auction if I keep hearing such good things of the Sony! But I'm curious how good it is in low light.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #475 of 1579 Old 05-15-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 127
"The manual adjustment knob is so lacking in the manual it could be considered in error. The menu gives excellent descriptions of each setting. Probably the best place to have a manual, on screen, anyway.

The knob only allows for white balance shift but the on screen settings allow the full 3200 5600 and manual set white balance. I have no idea what the manual set range is but it does work great for 2500 °K lighting as I checked that."

I have read through this thread and I have read the manual.

Here is what I conclude:

In 3D mode, the main purpose for having the TD10, you cannot:

1. Set white balance (amazing!).

2. Set shutter or iris.

3. Set manual audio (that is true for 2D also).

Thus, in 3D mode the camera is essentially only in auto mode except for focus and exposure compensation. This is the same as a low-level consumer camcorder.

Did I miss something?
post #476 of 1579 Old 05-15-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacarth View Post

I use a Tenba case. Perfect fit. See attached photo

smacarth,

what Tenba model is this?

Is it the Tenba Mixx Top Load Holster Bag?
post #477 of 1579 Old 05-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

"The manual adjustment knob is so lacking in the manual it could be considered in error. The menu gives excellent descriptions of each setting. Probably the best place to have a manual, on screen, anyway.

The knob only allows for white balance shift but the on screen settings allow the full 3200 5600 and manual set white balance. I have no idea what the manual set range is but it does work great for 2500 °K lighting as I checked that."

I have read through this thread and I have read the manual.

Here is what I conclude:

In 3D mode, the main purpose for having the TD10, you cannot:

1. Set white balance (amazing!).

2. Set shutter or iris.

3. Set manual audio (that is true for 2D also).

Thus, in 3D mode the camera is essentially only in auto mode except for focus and exposure compensation. This is the same as a low-level consumer camcorder.

Did I miss something?

no but you just saved 1500 bucks
post #478 of 1579 Old 05-15-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

Don- The JVC doe's allow you to edit the files on the cam itself. You can delete parts you don't like. But you can't add music on the cam itself. With the software you can edit and add music. Sounds like Sony has beat the JVC in the LCD and edit functions.

I just may try to sell my JVC on an auction if I keep hearing such good things of the Sony! But I'm curious how good it is in low light.

I'm hardware agnostic, so I'm willing to change from any particular manufacturer if I see something I like better. As far as I'm concerned, the jury hasn't heard all the evidence yet in the Sony vs JVC trial. I want to see lots of clips from the Sony. I'm still extremely happy with the overall image quality - detail, color, contrast, 3D and feature set - of the JVC TD1. If I see evidence that the Sony is better in several areas, I'll consider switching. So far, I haven't seen any such evidence (not saying it doesn't exist, just that I haven't seen it). As for 3D editing, that's a wasteland right now. In a few months, the landscape may look very, very different. I'm in no hurry, although I realize some people are. I also want to see some edited 3D footage from Vegas that I can compare with the original source footage. If the original footage is better than the JVC, and the edited program maintains the quality, that would be a strong plus for the Sony. I'd have to weigh that against the learning curve and expense of a new non-linear editing system, because I'm comfortable with Adobe Premiere.

The grass often looks a lot greener on the other side of the fence. But I think the JVC green looks pretty amazing. The Sony's going to have to really bring it for me to want to switch.

I'm not a fanboy. Show me the Sony's superiority and I'll be the first to acknowledge it. In the coming weeks, I'll be working on adding the ability to view full MVC 3D clips on my computer. TMT5 does that with the JVC clips now, but I've yet to work out all the details on my particular computer. Others already have. If anyone finds a way to view the Sony clips in full HD 3D on the computer, I'd really appreciate a step by step on how to do it. I know that with the JVC, side by side video doesn't hold a candle to full HD 3D. In lieu of that, the only way for me to see the quality of the Sony is through video edited in Vegas and burned to a Blu-ray or AVCHD disc. I'd also appreciate getting hold of an iso of such a disc.

Joe Clark

post #479 of 1579 Old 05-15-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

Give me some time- I'll be digging for the bad on this baby. Maybe the difference between me and others is I dig for the bad so I can figure out how to work around it and get the best bang for the buck.
I spent my first day out shooting down town for an hour and discovered something awful- as bright and as good a quality the 3D autostereo monitor is, even with a hoodman on I could hardly determine manual focus. And, I was doing lots of shots that required it. You'll see. I'm rendering the stuff to a YouTube now. So, the first thing I did was order a new Hoodman, one that is exactly the right size for this monitor. It is the HD450. I have an HD300 I bought for the smaller Bloggie. Should be in in a few days in time for my big project. I also ordered a riser for the Hoodman loupe so it also fits the TD10 monitor.
The shoot today was all about a learning session and boy did I learn! Mark- the biggest thing negative is the auto gain control in the camcorder. I need to do some digging on this to see how to knock it down, hopefully get control over the manual audio gain. It's probably there just not recognizable. I know the NXCAM version of the TD10 has manual audio controls but only in stereo, or as the pros say- ch1 and ch2, not in DD5.1 either. So, if you were looking for an excuse to go for a pro cam, I don't think you'll find a DD5.1 mix volume on that either. I do recall Tom found one adjustment as a two position and I will begin by testing that next. I don't need a 5.1 mix board in the cam, but just a way to prevent pumping and run away noise build that auto gain gives you.

Don Landis
post #480 of 1579 Old 05-15-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Here is my quickie shoot with the TD10 today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXcNNbQ7-Dw

Don Landis
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page