Sony HDR-TD10 3D-Capable Camcorder - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1579 Old 07-10-2011, 10:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 103
My daughter wanted a camcorder like mine- the HDR SR12 a couple years ago but I recognized her husband and inlaws refused to permit a PC in the house, Macheads all the way. So, knowing that Sony made PMB only in PC version, I had to buy her a similar Canon camcorder with hard drive record because it came with export software that worked on the Mac too. Maybe you should just avoid buying Sony stuff and stick to what works on a Mac if doing all the work arounds is such a PIA. One has to decide what has priority- the desire to make 3D videos on Blu-Ray, or, to use a MAC and OSX to make video. Right now, the only company that has a complete 3D to BluRay package is Sony and Sony supports the windows environment and not Mac video editing. But many are successful with the hacks and work arounds to mix it all up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1579 Old 07-11-2011, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, like I said this extra step isn't that big of a deal but it is an extra step. I mean I use Adobe CS5.5 for all my 2D work so I'm not going to fork over the cash for a Windows version when I already have the Mac version.

Just need to get comfortable in Vegas now for the 3D editing.
post #723 of 1579 Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Two tips to making Vegas really efficient-

1. Get your head out of the 3 point editing box of the last century and start thinking intuitively by just putting clips on the timeline and trimming and moving things there.
2. Take time to learn the advantage of mouse right click to access appropriate tools. The right mouse button over may parts of the desktop will open a whole new way of finding the tool set that has what you need.
3. OK there is a third, that very few ever learn. Shift F1 or the ? button will open up your how to index. If people would learn to use this the forums would be 25% the number of questions. Trust me it's faster to use this than wait for people like me to use it for you and quote what's in there. Here there is a step by step how to do stuff with index search and key word search, plus lots of explanation to accompany the how to.

With Vegas there are often a half dozen different ways to do the same thing. You decide what works best and fastest. One thing I did was buy a custom keyboard from Bella that has all the hot keys labeled and a jog shuttle wheel for speed moving through video like a real linear edit suite.
post #724 of 1579 Old 07-11-2011, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the tips, it's quite different from Premiere, I'm struggling on things such as syncing audio with video but I'll figure it out eventually.

One thing about Vegas I don't really like is the limitation on the bitrate for 3D.

I know Sony wants to protect their pro-tools but it still kind of sucks.
post #725 of 1579 Old 07-11-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

If you have an audio clip that was grouped with your video in the file, and you ungroup it, the color will change when no longer synced. When the audio and video are properly realigned by sliding, the clips will go white, no longer pink when unsynced.
Now if you remember what I said about right clicking. Do that on the pink colored out of sync audio. See in the popup menu "Syncing" select it and choose where you want to sync by sliding or moving the clip. Do I need to explain the difference? Or are you on your way to resolving the unknown here?

Remember that the syncing will only work for audio that is sourced from original clips that are grouped. If you shot video without sound ( MOS) and recorded the sound on a audio cassette player and digitized both and are trying to sync them, none of this will work. You'll have to slide the clips around manually. It only works where the audio and video were once grouped. BTW- Grouping is a very powerful tool in editing Select a video and audio tracks clips and tap the G key and they will be joined until you ungroup them with the U key. There are other ways to do the same thing.
post #726 of 1579 Old 07-11-2011, 08:50 AM

Yeah, I'm talking about syncing with a different audio source.

In Premiere I set markers on the audio and video tracks where I want to sync them up and then can align the two tracks and fine tune it with the arrow keys when a track is selected.

I imagine that the process is similar in Vegas but I haven't been able to figure it out yet. Granted I haven't spent too much time trying, I just need to sit down and figure it out or find a video tutorial.

Thanks for that grouping tip, will file that in the back of my brain for later use.

post #727 of 1579 Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

By markers do you mean you used a clapboard in production? I used to but then I switched my shooting audio and video (recorded separately on multicam shoots) with the use of timecode. (LTC) Using timecode lock on all cameras ( professional camcorders) I just lined up the TC and all was in sync since every cAmcorder and audio Nagra recorder were locked to same LTC. When working blind, to get things roughed in is difficult unless you know what clips are close video / audio. Once they are close you can look for clues in the speech patters like long moments of silence where the speaker should have his mouth shut. I once took on a project for a company when my work was slow to sync audio with video for them where some new employees shot multicam with no reference audio, just the video. Only one camera had the audio track recorded or the project would have been lost altogether. It was pure labor and I billed by the hour. What a mess that was to salvage. When recording audio separately, always clapboard with a slate and voice countdown as in "title, scene 2, take 5, mark(clap) then count them in. Or use time code lock on the cameras and audio recorder.
post #728 of 1579 Old 07-11-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:

By markers do you mean you used a clapboard in production

Yeah I think so. I mean I put a marker on the timeline of the audio and video tracks and then line the two markers up in Premiere.

Not a clapboard but in this instance (filming a band playing live) the hit of a snare drum.
post #729 of 1579 Old 07-11-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yeah that works. Something obvious that you can use to sync with. I still don't know your entire production process but somehow you have clips that aren't synced to audio, or, maybe you shot multicam and wish to sync all other cameras to one master camera that had the audio track you want to use.
If you are using multi cam editing, you need to check out Vegas multicam configuration. It basically gives you a preview monitor for each camera and you can switch by selecting the camera and this sets up the edits on the timeline automatically. It's really a great way to edit many cameras shooting the same scene from different angles. But step 1 is to sync everything up first. This would be a whole special thread so I won't get into it now but use the index, search on keyword multicam and see how you can do this process real slick and easy.
post #730 of 1579 Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:

I still don't know your entire production process but somehow you have clips that aren't synced to audio, or, maybe you shot multicam and wish to sync all other cameras to one master camera that had the audio track you want to use.

Basically it's a single-cam shot of a band playing in a bar. I want to sync the soundboard audio with the video I took as the audio I got from the camera was predictably terrible.

Piece of cake in Premiere but I need to figure out the corresponding workflow in Vegas when I do the 3D Blu-ray.
post #731 of 1579 Old 07-11-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

OK, you don't need multicam then. You can line up the audio two ways, I always used both at the same time because it was easy. When you put the soundboard audio recording on the audio track just below your camera audio track, do a rough lineup using the waveform. Then play it and listen to both together and slide the soundboard clip while playing until the echo or reverb goes away. They are matched. If you expand the resolution of the timeline Use mouse wheel or click on the + in lower right corner, you can also see the waveform match up. There is a third way too that works but I don't think too accurately in your case. It is an automatic lineup but your waveforms have to be close to work right. Extraneous crowd noise from the camcorder track will mess with the accuracy of this 3rd automatic method. Your ears and brain will be much faster just listening and sliding. Once everything is lined up, then just disable the camcorder audio track on the left or reduce it's volume leaving just the soundboard audio. I wouldn't delete it incase you need to resync later in your project.
post #732 of 1579 Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 AM

Do you slide the tracks with the mouse or keys?

For reference, here's a screenshot of how I do it in Premiere.

The top track is the video and the bottom two are the two audio tracks. I add markers at the point I want to sync on both audio tracks and then just line them up by dragging the tracks then checking for an echo.

post #733 of 1579 Old 07-11-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

In Vegas you can add the markers if you want or just look at the audio waveform. You can slide the audio track with the click and slide with the mouse or you can nudge left or right with the #1 key or #3 key on the numeric keypad. All this stuff is answered in the help files with methods to use. Many times in video editing you need to set your accuracy stop points to frame points as it is not good to have stuff trigger on a 3/3 frame. However, audio many need a finer tune so in this case you shut off quantization to frames and adjust your audio finer than 1/30 of a second, and then set the snap to back to quantize to frames. I'm sure Premiere permits editing audio more precisely than 1/30 second as well. Since you are into figuring this sort of thing out for your current project I thought I'd pass that tidbit along as well.
post #734 of 1579 Old 07-11-2011, 12:26 PM

You can add markers to individual tracks? I could only find markers that extend over all tracks (the ones used as chapter points when burning from the timeline to disc).

And yeah, in Premiere as you zoom in the timeline you gain finer control of moving tracks around.

I'll hit up that help file, sorry to go so off-topic here.

post #735 of 1579 Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 105
This discussion has really gone off the topic of this thread and forum subtopic - synching audio from an external source has nothing to do with 3D or with the Sony TD10.

Nevertheless, may I suggest looking into PluralEyes, which is a plug-in for Vegas that automatically synchs audio from any source and video based on the audio from the camcorder, and works with multiple cameras too.

http://www.singularsoftware.com/howto_pe_vegas.html
post #736 of 1579 Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

You can add markers to individual tracks?

Yes, has exactly the same look as your dot on a line. The true timeline markers you can add captions to remind you what you marked. Or use them as chapter stops when importing to DVD. A marker on an audio track is also known as a key frame spot where the audio can change like change in volume, change in tempo or change in pan. If there is no change it can just be used as a marker.

I agree this side track has gotten way off topic. It should be in the Vegas beginner's editing thread. IMO. This will be my last post here on this.
post #737 of 1579 Old 07-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Yeah, sorry about that guys. Just found out that Vegas released 10.0e? I had no idea, off to find a Vegas thread here to see what's in the update.
post #738 of 1579 Old 07-12-2011, 09:13 PM

Liked: 11
Hi All,

I've been battling with Sony Vegas Movie Studio 11 (SVMS11) to have the audio correctly in sync with 3D video shot with the Sony HDR-TD10.

The crux of the problem seems to be that when the TD10 shoots for more than about 20mins, the MTS files in the camera automatically get split into 2GB segments, and when SVMS11 imports these files onto the timeline, it gets the audio sync all wrong. SVMS11 doesn't recognise that the start point of the audio and video don't always coincide and it also sometimes miscalculates the correct length of the video clip AND the audio clip. As a result the audio can be very wrong at times.

I've tried using "Videoredo" to "Quickstream Fix" the MTS file, which does overcome the audio sync problem, but Videoredo doesn't recognise the secondary MVC 3D stream so the output file is only 2D.

Someone on this forum suggested using the Sony PMB program supplied with the camera to join the individual 2GB MTS files. In my case one of the resultant M2TS files is ~8GB in size (~60mins of video). This does seem to solve the audio sync problem when playing in an external M2TS player, however when I try to import this 8GB file into SVMS11, the full length of the video file is not shown on the timeline (perhaps only the first 2GB). Is SVMS11 limited to 2GB files?

I've also tried using another utility (TSMuxer) to intelligently split the 8GB M2TS file into 2GB segments, but this particular app also doesn't recognise the secondary MVC 3D stream so the output file becomes 2D again.

Has anyone found a solution to these issues?
It seems to me that (a) SVMS11 doesn't correctly interpret the audio/video sync in the unusual 3D MTS files, and (b) SVMS11 won't import files larger than 2GB. I'm been trying to find a workflow to preprocess the files to overcome these hurdles, but no luck so far...

This is of course in addition to SVMS11's problem of the incorrect decoding of DD5.1 in the 3D MTS files (introducing clicking sounds in the audio) of which a solution was discussed here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20492186
In my case, I couldn't find the installer for SVMS10 so I used Videoredo to strip the audio out of the MTS file and Goldwave to convert the AC3 file into a 2 channel WAV (SVMS11 won't directly import an AC3 audio file). BUT... audio sync is still a problem since SVMS11 seems to be incorrectly detecting the correct duration of the video file. sigh...
post #739 of 1579 Old 07-12-2011, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Woods View Post

Hi All,

I've been battling with Sony Vegas Movie Studio 11 (SVMS11) to have the audio correctly in sync with 3D video shot with the Sony HDR-TD10.

The crux of the problem seems to be that when the TD10 shoots for more than about 20mins, the MTS files in the camera automatically get split into 2GB segments, and when SVMS11 imports these files onto the timeline, it gets the audio sync all wrong. SVMS11 doesn't recognise that the start point of the audio and video don't always coincide and it also sometimes miscalculates the correct length of the video clip AND the audio clip. As a result the audio can be very wrong at times.

I've tried using "Videoredo" to "Quickstream Fix" the MTS file, which does overcome the audio sync problem, but Videoredo doesn't recognise the secondary MVC 3D stream so the output file is only 2D.

Someone on this forum suggested using the Sony PMB program supplied with the camera to join the individual 2GB MTS files. In my case one of the resultant M2TS files is ~8GB in size (~60mins of video). This does seem to solve the audio sync problem when playing in an external M2TS player, however when I try to import this 8GB file into SVMS11, the full length of the video file is not shown on the timeline (perhaps only the first 2GB). Is SVMS11 limited to 2GB files?

I've also tried using another utility (TSMuxer) to intelligently split the 8GB M2TS file into 2GB segments, but this particular app also doesn't recognise the secondary MVC 3D stream so the output file becomes 2D again.

Has anyone found a solution to these issues?
It seems to me that (a) SVMS11 doesn't correctly interpret the audio/video sync in the unusual 3D MTS files, and (b) SVMS11 won't import files larger than 2GB. I'm been trying to find a workflow to preprocess the files to overcome these hurdles, but no luck so far...

This is of course in addition to SVMS11's problem of the incorrect decoding of DD5.1 in the 3D MTS files (introducing clicking sounds in the audio) of which a solution was discussed here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20492186
In my case, I couldn't find the installer for SVMS10 so I used Videoredo to strip the audio out of the MTS file and Goldwave to convert the AC3 file into a 2 channel WAV (SVMS11 won't directly import an AC3 audio file). BUT... audio sync is still a problem since SVMS11 seems to be incorrectly detecting the correct duration of the video file. sigh...

If the files are split without headers added, binary concatenation should have worked. I've not used PMB to do this. In case the issue with the SVMS11 import of the result is caused by something PMB did, you could try a CMD based binary concatenation (joining) of the files.

Binary file concatenation of split files can be done in a CMD window using the "copy" function with the /b option for binary. "Binary: this case means to copy the files and combine them without modifying them at all.

>copy /b file1.mts + file2.mts + file3.mts + ... + filen.mts outputfile.mts

Filen.mts are an ordered list of previously split files which should consist of at least 2 files. The /b option causes the binary concatenation copying mode. The output files can be very large. Proof read the "copy" command before pressing enter.

Files may include full path, or default to the directory selected in the cmd window.

I am a bit confused about the problem with the 8GB file and why you are splitting it after you joined it, since that would result in a split up file. Could it be that the original files were not split along packet boundaries, and you are attempting to re-split them at packet boundaries?

Have you tried rendering the files individually through svms11 and then importing the individually output files from SMSV11 back into SMSV11?

On another topic, you mentioned "an external M2TS player." What does that consist of? Does it play the files in 3D?

Wouldn't it be great if VRDO would support 3D MVC file edits at IDR or I frame cut points. This would be a simpler project for them without any need for rendering at the cut points, i.e. their intelligent re-code would not need any recoding at all. All they'd need is recognize and produce the correct headers for the 3D MVC, since they'd leave the two channels intact in the stream. I've been meaning to post that in new feature suggestions at their forum.

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #740 of 1579 Old 07-13-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

If the files are split without headers added, binary concatenation should have worked. I've not used PMB to do this. In case the issue with the SVMS11 import of the result is caused by something PMB did, you could try a CMD based binary concatenation (joining) of the files.

Hello Richard, Thanks for your detailed suggestion. I just tried the binary concatenation as you suggested and unfortunately the resultant file is unreadable in Sony Vegas Movie Studio 11 (SVMS11).

Quote:

I am a bit confused about the problem with the 8GB file and why you are splitting it after you joined it, since that would result in a split up file.

The problem with the 8GB file is that SVMS11 seems unable to recognise anything past the first 2GB. The file is perfectly OK itself when played with Stereoscopic Player. Hence I wanted to split the 8GB file into 2GB segments (but this time with the splits on packet boundaries) so I can get it into SVMS11.

Quote:

Could it be that the original files were not split along packet boundaries, and you are attempting to re-split them at packet boundaries?

Correct.

Quote:

Have you tried rendering the files individually through svms11 and then importing the individually output files from SMSV11 back into SMSV11?

The problem is that SVMS11 is incapable of importing the original 2GB split MTS files (which come directly out of the camera) without audio sync problems.

Quote:

On another topic, you mentioned "an external M2TS player." What does that consist of? Does it play the files in 3D?

The latest version of "Stereoscopic Player" ( http://www.3dtv.at ) will play the Sony and JVC 3D AVC/MVC files in 3D.

Quote:

Wouldn't it be great if VRDO would support 3D MVC file edits at IDR or I frame cut points.

It seems others have requested that feature. http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/sh...ad.php?t=28329
It would be good to have others express their interest in this additional feature.
post #741 of 1579 Old 07-13-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:

I've done some further experimenting and I think I've come up with a solution.
1. use Sony PMB (supplied with the camera) to download the 3D MVC files from the Sony HDR-TD10 to the PC. This creates M2TS files (and joins files that were split in camera on the 2GB boundary). (Unfortunately SVMS11 seems to ignore anything past the 2GB mark on M2TS files that are larger than 2GB so these files cannot be directly imported into SVMS11).
2. still in Sony PMB, use the "Manipulate->Edit->Trim Video" feature to save subsets of any M2TS files that are larger than 2GB. You'll need to set the IN and OUT points manually, and guess a length that will generate an output file that is <2GB.
3. launch SVMS11 and import trimmed M2TS files (plus any M2TS files that were less than 2GB originally).

I've tested this workflow and the output is still in 3D, and the audio seems to be OK. The only remaining problem might be the accuracy of the in and out points and hence whether there are any repeated frames when the trimmed M2TS files are reunited on the timeline in SVMS11.

Just repeating:
Don't import 2GB split MTS files downloaded directly off the camera into SVMS11 since this results in audio mis-sync in SVMS11.
post #742 of 1579 Old 07-13-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

This is to all who will be using the Sony 3D camcorder- but Andrew's epiphany got me to thinking as he is not the first to make these mistakes causing user trouble-

Andrew- Please explain something to me because you are not the only one who insists on trying to do things completely bassackwards when the right way has been given to you. Plus has been explained over and over here and in other forums. I just don't understand it.
It's like you buy a box of tools to build something and instead of using the supplied hammer to pound nails you go out and buy an ice pick to pound nails, even after everyone tells you the hammer is the proper tool to do it. Then you finally pick up the hammer and to your amazement it works so you have an epiphany thinking after continued experimenting the hammer actually is the right way to pound nails.

Why is it that buyers of the TD10 insist on refusing to use PMB to import the files?

I swear, soon someone here will post that they ripped open the TD10 and unsoldered the memory chips on the camcorder to try and stick them in their computer and then complain because Sony didn't use memory that fits.

Word of advice- When you buy something new or try to use something you don't know everything about, READ THE MANUAL FIRST! If you want to make improvements on the way the creators of the device recommend, at least do it their way first, understand what it is doing, and THEN play with your improvement experiments.
post #743 of 1579 Old 07-13-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Word of advice- When you buy something new or try to use something you don't know everything about, READ THE MANUAL FIRST! If you want to make improvements on the way the creators of the device recommend, at least [I
do it their way first[/i], understand what it is doing, and THEN play with your improvement experiments.
Don:

I share your feelings exactly. I had two Sony AVCHD camcorders and always used the FREE PMB software that came with the camera to ingest (read transfer) files to the computer from the camera.

The same is true with the HdR-TD10 cmaera that came with a new version of Sony's PMB software.

The first step is to install the software, then connect the camera to the computer where it should be identified as a "Mass storage device".
Then fire up the PMB software and transfer the clips to a designated folder on the computer. It is easy and no problem.

Why would anyone do it any other way?

Regards,

Marty
post #744 of 1579 Old 07-13-2011, 12:27 PM
vsv
Advanced Member

Anyone is used DeckLink HD Extreme 3D to LIVE capture uncompressed (or Cineform) stream from TD10 via hdmi ?
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...linkhdextreme/
post #745 of 1579 Old 07-13-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

This is to all who will be using the Sony 3D camcorder- but Andrew's epiphany got me to thinking as he is not the first to make these mistakes causing user trouble-

Andrew- Please explain something to me because you are not the only one who insists on trying to do things completely bassackwards when the right way has been given to you. Plus has been explained over and over here and in other forums. I just don't understand it.
It's like you buy a box of tools to build something and instead of using the supplied hammer to pound nails you go out and buy an ice pick to pound nails, even after everyone tells you the hammer is the proper tool to do it. Then you finally pick up the hammer and to your amazement it works so you have an epiphany thinking after continued experimenting the hammer actually is the right way to pound nails.

Why is it that buyers of the TD10 insist on refusing to use PMB to import the files?

I swear, soon someone here will post that they ripped open the TD10 and unsoldered the memory chips on the camcorder to try and stick them in their computer and then complain because Sony didn't use memory that fits.

Word of advice- When you buy something new or try to use something you don't know everything about, READ THE MANUAL FIRST! If you want to make improvements on the way the creators of the device recommend, at least do it their way first, understand what it is doing, and THEN play with your improvement experiments.

Good visualization of the inability to recover recorded content from a camcorders internal flash chips. This is not like tape, where we could get the cassette tape out and recover most or all of our content when the internal tape transport became defective during operation.

With this in mind, I was thinking that I should probably record to the SD slot as the first choice on the TD10, as this will allow easy recovery of the content if / when the TD10 goes belly up. My extended warranty might cover the wife accidentally dropping the TD10 in the pool, but not the recovery of data buried inside.

Closer to the complaint about R.T.F.M., does the manual for Sony Vegas Movie Studio 11 (SVMS11) explain not to use files bigger than 2GB?

The lack of robustness of SVMS11 seems to be the issue here. It is so easy for software to be user friendly. What sort of ridiculous user interface would fail to operate properly on 2+GB files without at least meaningful error message? Importing 2+GB files would be an expected occurrence for video. Also, the software should be able to at least detect and report files that are likely to cause A/V sync issues.

Richard Adams
post #746 of 1579 Old 07-13-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The latest version of "Stereoscopic Player" ( http://www.3dtv.at ) will play the Sony and JVC 3D AVC/MVC files in 3D.

It seems others have requested that feature. http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/sh...ad.php?t=28329
It would be good to have others express their interest in this additional feature.

Thanks for link to Stereoscopic Player.

Actually my id at VideoReDo forum is HDStreamer and I started that thread before I got the TD10. I just posted a follow on suggestion there.

Richard Adams
post #747 of 1579 Old 07-13-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

{colourful narrative deleted}

I can't speak for other users, but this was my reasoning:
1. Because downloading via PMB is VERY slow. My estimate is that it takes about 10 times longer to download the clips through PMB, than directly. (I must admit that I'm a little bit worried that PMB might be recompressing some aspect of the files).
2. Because it requires the installation of additional software.
3. Direct downloading has worked with every other camera I've used.

Direct downloading the <2GB MTS files seems to work perfectly - it's just the >2GB split files which cause the problem.

As Richard mentioned, the problem seems to be related to some bugs in Sony Vegas Movie Studio 11.

And, even after using PMB to download the clips, SVMS11 still won't correctly ingest files greater than 2GB, requiring extra acrobatics.
post #748 of 1579 Old 07-13-2011, 11:38 PM

I've been extremely disappointed with SVMS11 thus far. I've been a loyal Vegas user since Platinum 6/ Pro 7, and I've never had 1/100th of the problems I've had compared to this. This gives a whole new meaning to the definition of "buggy". It just flat out doesn't work worth a S***, and you can quote me on that. This software is utter garbage. It's memory management is completely flawed, it's constantly crashing, even when I'm just trying to render, say, a 30 or 60 second clip, and when you ask it to work with 3D files... forget it.

... and in case anyone is wondering... it's not a hardware issue. My computer is state of the art regarding horsepower (i7 with tons of memory), and runs flawlessly with Pro 9. SVMS11 just isn't ready for primetime, and I'm very disappointed with Sony for the first time ever. Uninstalling.
post #749 of 1579 Old 07-14-2011, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Nice rant. I do understand it is frustrating when you cannot get something to work. I also understand the inclination to blame others when one does not get what one wants. Perhaps the truth is somehwere in between.

I use Sony Platinum 11 on my NETBOOK computer with an Atom chip and 2GB of memory. I have successfully made 7 3D videos of from 5 to 18 minutes in length using on average for each video 3-6 GB's of video files from the TD10. I never had a crash. Period. I have posted the videos in this forum, so you can see I am not making it up, and you can see the quality (they are 108060i sbs 1/2 frame, 16 Mbps). I am amazed that I can do 3D editing on my little computer. The render times are many hours, and it is difficult to do trimming, but it does the job. It is impossible that the program is a resource hog as it works with a 2GB machine. I have not tried any fancy disolves or transitions (I actually dislike their use in most videos I see) and I am not using 5.1 audio, just stereo. So it is certainly possible that some aspects of the program are buggy.

I am not saying the program is flawless. I am saying the program can perform.

Once again this thread has gone off track - this about the camcorder not SVMSP11, but I bit anyway.
post #750 of 1579 Old 07-14-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

.... and I am not using 5.1 audio, just stereo.

I have decided to not give up and will continue to try to isolate what's causing these constant crashes.... but based off my research so far, I'm thinking that the 5.1 audio may be the biggest culprit. It seems to be "instant crashing" everytime I try to render a stereo clip from a 5.1 source (for instance, using a M2ts video from the TD-10 with 5.1, and rendering to say, a HD wmv with stereo audio....)....

When using 3D source material from the TD-10, no matter what format I am rendering to, it eventually crashes because of "your system is low on memory", even though I've got 16 GB on this machine, which should be plenty (and according to windows task manager, it's only using up to, say, 33% or so). When I'm rendering to a high bitrate format with high compression (say, 8.4 Mbps wmv, or 16/25 Mbps mp4 or avc, or m2ts) it crashes almost the instant it starts to render. If I'm rendering to a low compression, low bitrate format, say MPEG-2 NTSC, or avi, then it seems to last a bit longer... anywhere from a few seconds, up to 7 or 8 minutes into the render.... but still, it eventually crashes too.

I will provide more feedback in the next couple days... Thank you for your reply.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page