post #31 of 2070 Old 01-18-2011, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner888 View Post

Thanks for the reply, Chris.

Just to make sure I have not misunderstood, many current model 3D TVs( including the JVC X3,7,9 FP, I would presume) support 1080/60i Fame Packing format output by the JVC GS-TD1, even though this format is not among the 5 mandatory 3D TV formats listed in section 8.3.2. This is quite a welcome piece of information.

You are correct.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2070 Old 01-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Brilliant.
post #33 of 2070 Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had no idea that 1080i frame packing existed.
If only there was a video editor that could output in that format, I would switch to it immediately.

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
post #34 of 2070 Old 01-20-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Frank did you try Vegas this way?-

Go into Properties and put Vegas in 3D mode. select side by side full

Then add your clips to the timeline. I have to convert by importing a 2D video then add a graphic and apply the 3D stereo effect and then edit the depth.

Next, go to render as and select Sony AVC and select 1080i x 1920 from the menu. Render the clip.

It will begin rendering the side by side as 1080 x 960 each stereo side.

Now go back and render the sound track and port both to DVD Architecture for burning as a 3D SBS BD. This should play in your blu Ray player.

I think the switching may be a limitation in the monitor's ability to interpret the meta data for switching automatically or manually. MY guess is we're in this development curve and just like DD5.1, when it first came out the decoders had lots of bugs and limitations.
post #35 of 2070 Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Frank did you try Vegas this way?-

Go into Properties and put Vegas in 3D mode. select side by side full

Then add your clips to the timeline. I have to convert by importing a 2D video then add a graphic and apply the 3D stereo effect and then edit the depth.

Next, go to render as and select Sony AVC and select 1080i x 1920 from the menu. Render the clip.

It will begin rendering the side by side as 1080 x 960 each stereo side.

Now go back and render the sound track and port both to DVD Architecture for burning as a 3D SBS BD. This should play in your blu Ray player.

I think the switching may be a limitation in the monitor's ability to interpret the meta data for switching automatically or manually. MY guess is we're in this development curve and just like DD5.1, when it first came out the decoders had lots of bugs and limitations.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I made my first 3D bluRay about four months ago and took it to BestBuy and they liked it and wouldn't give it back. It even had a 3D menu.
The only problem was the TV had to be manually switched to side by side mode.
I got very tired of manually switching the TV into side by side mode long ago and have standardized on Checkerboard mode which is all I use now.

Did I mention that in addition to my home made 3D cameras I also have a Panasonic 3D video camera? It produces frame compatible side by side AVCHD files that when played back on a Panasonic Vierra 3DTV put it in 3D mode automatically when played from a SD card! I would like to know how it does that.....

post #36 of 2070 Old 01-21-2011, 01:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 166
More clues- Checkerboard format--

My reading tells me that this format is required for older 3D "ready" tv's made by Samsung and Mitsubishi. Newer sets are all HDMI 1.4 compliant and will work with all standard 3D formats. Didn't Mits make a converter box for their sets to convert 3D Blu Ray DVD players to checkerboard? I recall a friend had to buy one of those for his older MItsubishi 3D Ready set.
post #37 of 2070 Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

More clues- Checkerboard format--

My reading tells me that this format is required for older 3D "ready" tv's made by Samsung and Mitsubishi. Newer sets are all HDMI 1.4 compliant and will work with all standard 3D formats. Didn't Mits make a converter box for their sets to convert 3D Blu Ray DVD players to checkerboard? I recall a friend had to buy one of those for his older MItsubishi 3D Ready set.

That's true Don.
What most 3D viewers are not aware of is that checkerboard mode is superior to HDMI 1.4.

Checkerboard mode allows you to stay in that mode all the time and switch between 2D and 3D and even have both on screen at the same time.
Samsung is the only manufacturer that supports all 3D modes including the inferior 1.4a!

post #38 of 2070 Old 01-22-2011, 03:54 PM

Hello Everyone,

I received a preliminary owner’s manual, and wanted to share some additional detail.

Picture Quality:

In the 3D MP4 Frame Packing mode, the GS-TD1 uses a bit rate of approx. 34Mbps. This allows for four hours of video recording using the built-in 64GB memory. Everything else being equal, a higher bit rate will provide better quality. If you record in the side by side, 3D AVCHD mode at best quality, your recording time is approximately double.

3D Still Picture Mode:

3D Still Pictures are meant for display on your TV and cannot be printed. When the camcorder takes a 3D still, it also makes a standard 2D still, which—of course, can be printed. Maximum Digital Still resolution is about 3MP. 3D Still resolution is always 1920 x 1080 to match your TV.

A really interesting function is the high speed recording mode which allows you to take a burst of up to 12 3D stills in the span of one second.

Full Auto/Point & Shoot Recording:

JVC has a new “Intelligent Auto” mode which analyzes the scene and chooses from among twelve different types of automatic modes based on what the camcorder is seeing in the scene. Among the things it can automatically identify and compensate for are Panoramic, Night Time, People, Close-up, Backlight, Sunset, Nature, Flesh Tones, etc. In the past we just had a single, “Multi-Purpose” auto mode. This will allow most people to keep the camcorder in full auto mode almost all the time.

Manual/Creative Control with 3D Recording:

This should really appeal to a lot of the more experienced videographers out there. Full manual control includes the following:
1. Scene Select
2. Focus
3. Focus Assist
4. Brightness/Exposure Compensation
5. Shutter Speed (1/2 sec to 1/4000 sec)
6. Aperture Priority (f1.2-f5.6)
7. White Balance (Includes presets for marine/underwater)
8. Backlight Compensation
9. Tele Macro
10. Time Lapse (1 sec./10 sec./ 80 sec. intervals)
11. Touch Priority/Face Tracking/Color Tracking/Area Select
12. Programmable User Button

One other interesting note: Parallax can be set to full auto during recording or adjusted manually over a wide range. It can also be adjusted during playback for best control of the 3D effect.

Keep in mind this is all still preliminary, but hopefully it fills in some information gaps.

That's all for today.

Chris
post #39 of 2070 Old 01-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeutsch View Post

Hello Everyone,

3D Still Picture Mode:

3D Still Pictures are meant for display on your TV and cannot be printed. When the camcorder takes a 3D still, it also makes a standard 2D still, whichof course, can be printed. Maximum Digital Still resolution is about 3MP. 3D Still resolution is always 1920 x 1080 to match your TV.

A really interesting function is the high speed recording mode which allows you to take a burst of up to 12 3D stills in the span of one second.

Does it save the 3D images in MPO or JPS or some other proprietary format? MPO is preferred as that is basically the standard for still 3D images (Fuji W3 uses this along with the Sony TX-9).
post #40 of 2070 Old 01-23-2011, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello Everyone,

I received a preliminary owner's manual, and wanted to share some additional detail.

Picture Quality:

In the 3D MP4 Frame Packing mode, the GS-TD1 uses a bit rate of approx. 34Mbps. This allows for four hours of video recording using the built-in 64GB memory. Everything else being equal, a higher bit rate will provide better quality. If you record in the side by side, 3D AVCHD mode at best quality, your recording time is approximately double.

3D Still Picture Mode:

3D Still Pictures are meant for display on your TV and cannot be printed. When the camcorder takes a 3D still, it also makes a standard 2D still, whichof course, can be printed. Maximum Digital Still resolution is about 3MP. 3D Still resolution is always 1920 x 1080 to match your TV.

Full Auto/Point & Shoot Recording:

JVC has a new Intelligent Auto mode which analyzes the scene and chooses from among twelve different types of automatic modes based on what the camcorder is seeing in the scene. Among the things it can automatically identify and compensate for are Panoramic, Night Time, People, Close-up, Backlight, Sunset, Nature, Flesh Tones, etc. In the past we just had a single, Multi-Purpose auto mode. This will allow most people to keep the camcorder in full auto mode almost all the time.

Manual/Creative Control with 3D Recording:

This should really appeal to a lot of the more experienced videographers out there. Full manual control includes the following:
1. Scene Select
2. Focus
3. Focus Assist
4. Brightness/Exposure Compensation
5. Shutter Speed (1/2 sec to 1/4000 sec)
6. Aperture Priority (f1.2-f5.6)
7. White Balance (Includes presets for marine/underwater)
8. Backlight Compensation
9. Tele Macro
10. Time Lapse (1 sec./10 sec./ 80 sec. intervals)
11. Touch Priority/Face Tracking/Color Tracking/Area Select
12. Programmable User Button

One other interesting note: Parallax can be set to full auto during recording or adjusted manually over a wide range. It can also be adjusted during playback for best control of the 3D effect.

Keep in mind this is all still preliminary, but hopefully it fills in some information gaps.

That's all for today.

Chris

Thanks for the added info. The more I hear about the unique features of the JVC it seems to have an edge on the Sony. Now if the price could get closer to Sony's that would certainly help tip the balance. Any chance we will see the JVC matching Sony on price given that the initial estimates were prior to learning what Sony was going to be asking. (I note that the Panasonic has already dropped to closer to $1000 as its street price now that the JVC and Sony are nearing availability.)
post #41 of 2070 Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder what it would take to create an interface that would allow remote control of these camera functions?

Ideally, I would like to see a 3D version of my Canon 5D Mark II with remote control via EOS.

post #42 of 2070 Old 01-23-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

Does it save the 3D images in MPO or JPS or some other proprietary format? MPO is preferred as that is basically the standard for still 3D images (Fuji W3 uses this along with the Sony TX-9).

.mpo

Chris
post #43 of 2070 Old 01-23-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

Thanks for the added info. The more I hear about the unique features of the JVC it seems to have an edge on the Sony. Now if the price could get closer to Sony's that would certainly help tip the balance. Any chance we will see the JVC matching Sony on price given that the initial estimates were prior to learning what Sony was going to be asking. (I note that the Panasonic has already dropped to closer to $1000 as its street price now that the JVC and Sony are nearing availability.)

Unfortunately, you are asking the wrong person on that question. I will tell you that it seems like just a few years ago (ok, actually it was 1996) that we introduced our first Mini DV camcorder--the GR-DV1--at $2,499. To think that the GS-TD1 is scheduled to come out at $1,999 is pretty amazing.

Chris
post #44 of 2070 Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, you are asking the wrong person on that question. I will tell you that it seems like just a few years ago (ok, actually it was 1996) that we introduced our first Mini DV camcorder--the GR-DV1--at $2,499. To think that the GS-TD1 is scheduled to come out at $1,999 is pretty amazing.

Chris

Whats the profit margin.
post #45 of 2070 Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

Deleted by author
post #46 of 2070 Old 01-27-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Still haven't heard what the interaxial distance is.
I'd also like to know what functions are controlled via the touchscreen and whether the touchscreen is capacitive or resistive or something else entirely.

post #47 of 2070 Old 01-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
+2 here on still being interested in the interaxial.

And thanks for all of your input in this thread, Chris. .. It has helped greatly!
post #48 of 2070 Old 01-28-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post

Still haven't heard what the interaxial distance is.
I'd also like to know what functions are controlled via the touchscreen and whether the touchscreen is capacitive or resistive or something else entirely.

Hi Frank,

I am learning about all kinds of new things with this 3D cam, including terms like interaxial distance. I don't have an exact answer for you, but I can tell you that the whole front of the camcorder is about 100mm (4 inches), and each lens I am guessing has a diameter of around 37mm, plus there is some space between each lens. Maybe this can help you get some idea.

Here is some more info from our factory that may help you. This camcorder works very different compared to a traditional two-camera 3D rig. JVC has developed new algorithms that automatically adjusts the parallax to an ideal level, according to the distance from the camera to the subject, and the optical zoom setting. This is part of what allows us to offer a zoom function in 3D, and this is intended to enhance the range of distance where you can get good 3D results.

Regarding the touch screen, it can control almost every camcorder function. In addition there is a programmable user button on the back for direct access to a function of your choice, and there is a control dial that can be used for a variety of key functions, including focus, exposure, white balance & manual parallax adjustment. This is in addition to the option to control these on the touch screen.

I'm not sure if this answers anything completely, but I hope it helps a little.

I'll pass along more info as I get it.

Chris
post #49 of 2070 Old 01-28-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Chris.
I am definitely going to order one and see what I can do about automating the interface to my purposes.
I wish I could share what I am able to do now and what I would like to do with the JVC.
For example, as I type this, I have my samsung 3D glasses on and am watching a white tail dear sticking his head out of my monitor. (all on the same monitor)

post #50 of 2070 Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

If the outer dimension is around four inches then the interaxial appears to be about 1 and a third inches.
Too bad, wish it was more. Oh well.

post #51 of 2070 Old 01-29-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
This video camera comes out here in Japan on Feb 9th. I am debating rather to grab it or wait for the Sony.

Three things that bother me a bit over this JVC is.

1. Only 5x zoom, still good but the Sony has 10x
2. Stereo sound and not 5.1 like the Sony (it says it has 3D sound?)
3. The 3D effect on the LCD screen, read reviews its blurry and not great

However, I like how many features one can access while shooting in 3D, it beats out the Sony on that. I also think it shall shoot 3D better in lower light areas. And a bonus it takes 3D still photos. I am curious though what they say when it records 3D sound? Is it only 2 channel, if so thats kinda disapointing but I believe I can make it 5.1 or more using Vegas correct?
Also how long does the battery last in the JVC? I know it can record 3D for about 4 hours but will the battery last that long?

Frank you seem an expert on 3D and I always read your post. In your opinion do you feel the JVC is better than the Sony? I realize both are not out yet, but by reading reviews and specs what do you think about it?

I am wanting a 3D video camera to film scenery movies here in Japan of cool places and sell them on Blu-ray disc around the world so others can experience this amazing country where I am now living all in 3D.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #52 of 2070 Old 01-29-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

Frank you seem an expert on 3D and I always read your post. In your opinion do you feel the JVC is better than the Sony? I realize both are not out yet, but by reading reviews and specs what do you think about it?

I am wanting a 3D video camera to film scenery movies here in Japan of cool places and sell them on Blu-ray disc around the world so others can experience this amazing country where I am now living all in 3D.

If I were back in Japan with my choice of either then I would choose the one with the largest interaxial distance. I'm not sure with one that is yet.

post #53 of 2070 Old 01-29-2011, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Guess i'll have to wait and see

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #54 of 2070 Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a little additional info on the upcoming GS-TD1 that I don't think has been talked about a lot yet. There are some interesting archiving/playback options:

The GS-TD1 will be compatible with the JVC Share Station models CU-VD3 & CU-VD50. This means you will be able to create a disc of 3D SBS (Side by Side) content or 2D content with no computer required. This will make it very easy to create either a 3D or 2D disc that will play in virtually any recent Blu-ray player.

The GS-TD1 will also be compatible with a select group of external Blu-ray Burners and Hard Drives for 3D SBS. Again, no computer required. The benefit vs. the Share Station is purely the higher capacity that the Blu-ray burner or external hard drive would offer.

For 3D Frame Packed Recordings, you will be able to archive to an external hard drive, or you will be able to backup to your computer. These recordings can be played back directly from the camcorder or from your computer. They can also be played back by connecting the external hard drive back to the GS-TD1 and controlling it through the GS-TD1.

Chris
post #55 of 2070 Old 02-01-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I would like my daughter to take it to Hawaii when she leaves on the 20th of March.
What are our chances.

post #56 of 2070 Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 88
Quote:

I would like my daughter to take it to Hawaii when she leaves on the 20th of March.
What are our chances.

Deleted by author
post #57 of 2070 Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Remember released by JVC and in your local dealer's hands are two very different things. If the product is very popular throughout the world, then that delta time can be a month or more.

I don't know how many people will want the GS-TD1.

Perhaps JVC will see fit to send me an early evaluation unit so I can suggest improvements.

post #58 of 2070 Old 02-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Perhaps JVC will see fit to send me an early evaluation unit so I can suggest improvements.

post #59 of 2070 Old 02-01-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:

What are our chances.

We are looking at shipping end of March to our dealers, meaning you should see it showing up for sale early April.

Unfortunately, I think your daughter will need a different cam. Got to admit though, Hawaii would be cool. Imagine some good underwater snorkeling 3D video with a custom underwater housing...

Chris
post #60 of 2070 Old 02-02-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We are looking at shipping end of March to our dealers, meaning you should see it showing up for sale early April.

Unfortunately, I think your daughter will need a different cam. Got to admit though, Hawaii would be cool. Imagine some good underwater snorkeling 3D video with a custom underwater housing...

Chris

If I were going then I would take my homemade 3D video camera and design a waterproof enclosure for it.
Hopefully the GoPro 3D Hero kit will be available before she leaves...

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page