Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 2068 Old 01-10-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 116
CES report from JVC-

No new 3D camcorder to show. JVC still has last years model on display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 2068 Old 01-10-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Thanks, Don. What about the Sony TD20 - did you get a chance to see it?

Joe Clark

post #1653 of 2068 Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi Joe,

I have made some progress with Edius 3D Preview in terms of finding an easy way to add a cross dissolve between clips. Just make the 2D dissolve your default transition, select where two clips meet and hit Ctrl-T. I also found how to get fade-up and fade-down buttons on my Edius timeline and they work as expected.

The one thing I still have yet to figure out is how to keyframe the opacity of a clip in order to do a manual fade to black. I have read the Edius 6 manual, but I still cannot figure out the magic keystroke combinations to put a keyframe on the opacity line when I expand the clip window.

My experience at playing back Sony HDR-TD10 clips in Edius is that playback is smoother than in Sony Vegas 11 (which itself is pretty smooth), but I do drop some frames when playing through any transition. However, the playback of cross dissolves at least is smooth enough that I can evaluate the transition without having to step through it frame-by-frame as I do in Vegas Pro 11. I have an nVidia GTX285 in my 8-core Mac Pro running Edius 3D Preview in Windows 7 64-bit.

Tom

Tom
post #1654 of 2068 Old 01-11-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hi, Tom. I see a NC guy over at the Edius forum, so I assume you've solved this problem, right? I find it ridiculous that the button isn't already on the timeline by default. I wonder who decided to leave it off. It was a brilliant decision!

Joe Clark

post #1655 of 2068 Old 01-12-2012, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone tried if the new Cineform Studio support "our" MVC?

here the news:

"GoPro has released public beta versions of the new GoPro CineForm Studio Premium and Professional software for working with 3D video for PCs for Windows and MAC, software that is going to be replacing the CineForm Neo and Neo3D products. These new beta versions of the software come fully functional with 15-day trial and the first official release of the GoPro CineForm Studio should be available in a few weeks. The new GoPro CineForm Studio Premium (Neo level) and GoPro CineForm Studio Professional (Neo3D level) applications incorporate much of the functionality of the products they are going to be replacing in a new and more user friendly user interface and of course are bringing new features such as the added support for MVC 3D cameras for example. You should uninstall any previous versions of CineForm, Neo, or GoPro CineForm Studio (if you have them installed) before installing and trying these new beta products. You are also welcome to report any issues you may find while trying the software to help in its improvement." 3dvision-blog.com
post #1656 of 2068 Old 01-12-2012, 01:24 PM

Hi Joe,

Yep, that's me over on the Edius 3D Preview Forum seeking help. I have solved all of my issues except figuring out how to keyframe opacity on a clip in Edius 3D Preview. I think I can solve this by a bit more study and experimentation. Edius has always had a problem with manuals that seem to be written in a language that is not English and can be very confusing. With that said, I have always found it to be a quite powerful editor and in fact Edius gives excellent real-time playback of HD video and now 3D video as well. So, I intend to persevere and teach myself how to use it all over again.

The one very big missing feature in Edius 3D is the (present) inability to burn a 3D Blu-ray disk from the program. If that feature is not added, then I doubt that I shall purchase Edius 3D. I mean why edit a program and then have no way to output it to a format that you can actually view on your 3D TV.

Tom
post #1657 of 2068 Old 01-12-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWheeler View Post

Hi Joe,

Yep, that's me over on the Edius 3D Preview Forum seeking help. I have solved all of my issues except figuring out how to keyframe opacity on a clip in Edius 3D Preview. I think I can solve this by a bit more study and experimentation. Edius has always had a problem with manuals that seem to be written in a language that is not English and can be very confusing. With that said, I have always found it to be a quite powerful editor and in fact Edius gives excellent real-time playback of HD video and now 3D video as well. So, I intend to persevere and teach myself how to use it all over again.

The one very big missing feature in Edius 3D is the (present) inability to burn a 3D Blu-ray disk from the program. If that feature is not added, then I doubt that I shall purchase Edius 3D. I mean why edit a program and then have no way to output it to a format that you can actually view on your 3D TV.

Tom

When you say "keyframe opacity" do you mean manually setting the opacity of a video clip or title within the timeline? If so, you select "Settings>User Settings>User Interface>Button." You select the button "Add/Delete Rubber Band Point in Current Position" and "Add" (>>) it to the available buttons. Then you select the "Mix" button on the timeline, place the play head where you want the keyframe point and click that button. Or you can just click on the mix track and create the button there, then move it up or down, just like Premiere.

I think they're going to add the ability to burn 3D Blu-ray in the final release. It would be a mistake not to, since Edius would then be a complete solution. That's especially important for JVC users, since there's no need in Edius to convert MVC files before using them in the timeline.

Joe Clark

post #1658 of 2068 Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 PM

Hi Joe,

I discovered that the reason that I could not add a key frame in Edius 3D is that although I was expanding the mixer, I was not turning on the keyframe button (which was greyed out). As soon as I turned on that mixer button, adding a keyframe was as simple as clicking on the opacity line on the clip. Why in the world they would expect you to click on a button that is grey out is beyond me!

I hope you are right about adding the ability to burn a 3D Blu-ray disk from the timeline of Edius 3D because if they don't add this, then I don't intend to purchase Edius 3D. I mean why would you if you have to render in Edius and then take into another piece of software to burn the timeline to a Blu-ray 3D.

Tom
post #1659 of 2068 Old 01-13-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I agree. For JVC users, it's a boon to be able to add the clips directly to the timeline, but for Sony or Panasonic users, there is little benefit over the Vegas software. I'm thinking the ability to burn 3D Blu-ray will need more time to implement. It's there for the 2D software version of Edius. As for why they do things the way they do in the basic interface, it's probably programmers making the decisions, instead of users. Programmers don't think like normal human beings.

Playback for me is pretty smooth in Edius, even during 3D transitions (much smoother than Vegas), until I start adding zoom and convergence adjustments. That means that if I'm careful when I shoot and don't have to correct edge violations, editing in 3D is quite acceptable. That's a relief as well. I'm using the Edius preview on a Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHz, with SATAII SSDs, no HDDs. On 3D clips, I don't exceed about 65% CPU usage until I add adjustments. When I do, all 8 threads peg at 100%, and audio and video are choppy.

I've found that exporting to MPEG2 dual stream 3D files yields the best results in PowerDirector 10. AVCHD exports don't look as good, even at higher bitrates. I get excellent results with MPEG2 at 25mbps, compared to AVCHD 3D at 35mbps. Unless I'm configuring things wrong, the MVC encoder must not be nearly as good as the MPEG2 encoder. I get all sorts of undesirable artifacts with the MVC encoder. Again, it's possible I'm not configuring things correctly.

Joe Clark

post #1660 of 2068 Old 01-13-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

but for Sony or Panasonic users, there is little benefit over the Vegas software.

Maybe we will see an improvement in the stability of Vegas (I really hope so, since it is my software). If not - Edius has been rocket-solid in the past...

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #1661 of 2068 Old 01-13-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My main problem with stability in the 3D version has been that, after an error occurs, Edius doesn't want to start at all. This has happened to me 3 times now. I found one fix, but that didn't work the last time it happened.

Overall, I'm happy with Edius. It might just become my everyday editor when it comes out of beta.

I had a problem with my TD1 yesterday. When I got home from shooting and plugged the camera into my Samsung plasma, all I saw was the green signal. It's either a bad cable or something went wonky in the camera. It was a very cold day (about 19 degrees), but the TD1 performed really well. I shot for about 3 hours. The footage looks good. I need to find one of my other HDMI mini cables to see if that's the problem, although that cable was working fine until yesterday.

Joe Clark

post #1662 of 2068 Old 01-14-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

My main problem with stability in the 3D version has been that, after an error occurs, Edius doesn't want to start at all. This has happened to me 3 times now.

It is still a beta, even if they call it preview version. Hopefull that is gone in the final version... I wait for that final version. No time to play with another beta....

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #1663 of 2068 Old 01-14-2012, 07:57 AM

I have found the 002 build to be much more stable the then initial preview.
I do constantly find myself reaching for a Control "D" for disolve and a Page Up and Page Down function to advance to the previous and next clips.
post #1664 of 2068 Old 01-27-2012, 01:08 PM

I am a french stereoscopist,

I have buy a JVC TD 1 and I am not satisfy by the angle of the lens in position minimum (42, 44 mm eq 24x36?).

I have build a 3D adapters Wide angle with Raynox QC 303, QC 505 and QC 707.
With this adapters I obtain equivalent 24x36 lens of 35 mm, 28mm or more.

You can watch two videos on Youtube, on "eirevalc33":

video-1 : "Video-1-Conception compléments optiques grand angle 3D.m2ts"
is the method to build the adapter wide angle 3D

video-2 : "Video-2-Test Compléments optiques grand angle 3D.m2ts"
you can observ the results with 0.5 X,0.7X and short 0.3 X

This accessories will be build and sell by Cyclopital 3D the next months.

Sorry for my bad english !
post #1665 of 2068 Old 01-27-2012, 06:51 PM

Liked: 11
Très bonne idée!

That's really clever and solves a problem with lens accessories for 3D cameras. I liked the 0.5x best.

Video-1-Conception compléments optiques grand angle 3D

Video-2-Test Compléments optiques grand angle 3D
post #1666 of 2068 Old 01-27-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I can't tell you how valuable this would have been to me over the last few months. Great idea. Keep us posted.

Joe Clark

post #1667 of 2068 Old 01-29-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

ditto! Finally a wide angle that will work!

The lens grinding equipment shown in the video is the same equipment we used here to make my Rx ASG glasses.
post #1668 of 2068 Old 01-30-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The latest Edius 3D Preview build is out. Sign in to your Edius account at GV if you haven't done so yet. It's good until March 10th.

Joe Clark

post #1669 of 2068 Old 02-02-2012, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Won't download for me, ask me to fill a survey, I fill it all out and it says make sure to fill everything out over and over again no matter what I do... I want the new version but can't get it sadly.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #1670 of 2068 Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 PM

They send you a download link in an email. Then you click on the link and get the download. If you didn't get the link, request again.

Hint: When you do get the email with the link, save it, just in case you need to download it again before the next version comes along.
post #1671 of 2068 Old 02-02-2012, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea I know, but I can't get to that. I fill the survey but always it says its not filled out, though it is. So it won't even send me the link.

Could someone post the link, I really need this to finish converting my JVC files.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #1672 of 2068 Old 02-04-2012, 12:15 AM

Sounds like a browser issue, did you try the usual tips like clearing cache, etc..
I've never had a single problem with their site or their links, but them of course I'm using IE9.
post #1673 of 2068 Old 02-04-2012, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Tried on 2 PC's, same problem. Cleared everything and still the same. Also tried on a friends PC. No go!

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #1674 of 2068 Old 02-05-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

PowerDVD 12 is out. It supports direct playback of TD1 mp4 files. It even does windowed 3D with my nVidia 450 card. It's defaulting to 24p playback of the 60i files, so it's choppy. Have to find a way around that. Good news, though. I assume this means playback of the Sony and Panasonic files, too, since it simply lists 3D MVC playback support on their web site.

Joe Clark

post #1675 of 2068 Old 02-07-2012, 04:48 AM

Hi
I plan to buy a TD1.
Can somebody say for sure that the right lens not in focus, and
white areas flashing issue was just a problem with early models?
Or nowadays models can also have this??

Any info about Vegas update for supporting those MVC files?

thx

eirevalc: great, how is the lens flare when compared to the original lens?
post #1676 of 2068 Old 02-07-2012, 11:56 AM

Liked: 11
I got my TD1 within a month of its release. I occasionally saw a bit of softness in its right image. Upon further inspection, I noticed the softness was only in parts of that image. I (and JVC engineers) then concluded that the problem was due to 3D compression rather than Left/Right lens consistency.

If the right lens had problems with focus synchronization, it would likely also have problems with zoom synchronization, but nobody ever saw that problem. I didn't notice a flashing problem. Perhaps it's also a 3D video compression artifact.

I believe I read that the Sony 3D camcorder also had occasional soft parts in its right image as well.

I've been quite pleased with the quality of the TD1's image. It's a lot sharper than I expected. I suspect it's higher MPEG data rate allows for more image detail since the JVC and Sony have very similar sensors and lenses.
post #1677 of 2068 Old 02-08-2012, 01:59 AM

Thanks.
A compression error cannot be fixed with firmware update?
Somebody boyed the cam nowadays?
post #1678 of 2068 Old 02-11-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

In case anyone is interested I ran across some info today where I see JVC has some sort of rebate expiring the end of the month on the TD1. Priced now with rebate at under $1000. For some this may make putting up with some of it's limitations worth while. There's nothing like buying last years technology for getting a bargain.
post #1679 of 2068 Old 02-11-2012, 12:30 PM

And where? Worldwide, also in Europe?
When can i see the lower price here?

Maybe TD2 coming with better lcd, no flashing, focusing issue,
wider FOV and recording to m2ts container?

edit: at B&H only the NTSC model is $999
post #1680 of 2068 Old 02-11-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, I saw that $999 price the other day. So, for less than the original cost of the TD1, you can get the camcorder, the Clyclopital3D stereo base extender, their filter adapter and a great macro lens. That's a serious 3D kit.

Joe Clark

Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page