3D on Samsung 1080p DLP with Mitsubishi 3DC-100S and no Gefen and no EDID update - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2011, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vanns wouldn't ship to Canada, sigh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

Twin HDMI 3D Blu-ray players are made to be compatible with HDMI 1.3 AVRs. However, with the Oppo you would also need a 3D Checkerboard Converter while the Panasonic would not require one. I am assuming you have a DLP HDTV. Also with the Panasonic if you are outputting a 3D Checkerboard Signal then you do not need a twin HDMI unit. The 3D Checkerboard Video and Audio Signal will pass through an HDMI 1.3 AVR with no problems. I know this because that is the configuration that I am using with my Samsung DLP HDTV. If you have a newer non DLP 3D HDTV then the twin 3D Blu-ray players are great to use with your HDMI 1.3 AVR. Good Luck.

With a HDMI 1.3 AVR, paired with a checkerboard-capable 3D Blu-ray player like Panasonic BDT310, I wonder if it's still possible to pass though 3D Video to TV, and use the AVR to decode DTS/DD5.1 sound?

Also, I heard that a converter like 3DA-1 or 3DC-100S is not even required if I have a 3D-capable Samsung DLP and a checkerboard-capable Blu-ray player. Is this correct or false?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:55 AM

That is correct. If you get a checkerboard capable blu ray player like the Panasonic, it's supposed to work with a 3D capable DLP without the adapter. Never actually tried it though. The problem with this solution though is that doesn't help you if you want to watch 3D from your cable/sat or a gaming system etc.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:38 PM

this is very promising, how about the 1.3 AVR? Will it pass 3D to TV properly while decoding the sound?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:23 PM

That I don't know. I have an older AVR and pass my audio via optical.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsscientist View Post

this is very promising, how about the 1.3 AVR? Will it pass 3D to TV properly while decoding the sound?

Some 1.3 AVRs pass it and some don't. So it can't be answered directly.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FronzDan View Post

That is correct. If you get a checkerboard capable blu ray player like the Panasonic, it's supposed to work with a 3D capable DLP without the adapter. Never actually tried it though. The problem with this solution though is that doesn't help you if you want to watch 3D from your cable/sat or a gaming system etc.

Then you should investigate the VIP3D Theater product, which makes those formats available. No need for checkerboard. It converts and sends it's own
3D formatted signal to the display device.

In my case though I have a Samsung HL61A750 DLP and it has a frame lock issue but my Panasonic AE4000 projector looks great with it. Supports 60/120hz displays. VIP is working on my frame lock problem but then it may be just my set and someone else's might do fine. I use the Sony S580 3D BD player for both displays. Comcast for other 3D content.

It's discussed over in the Tech Talk threads.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVideo View Post

Some 1.3 AVRs pass it and some don't. So it can't be answered directly.

I have an Onkyo 876, does anyone know if it passes 3D through correctly while decoding the sound with one single HDMI connection? Or do I have to rely on dual-HDMI players to do the trick?
Old 08-14-2011, 08:48 PM

ok, just got the Panasonic BDT-210 to be used with the Onkyo SR876, the passthrough works successfully with 3D video sent directly to the TV using checkerboard format, and sound properly decoded by the AVR, with the use of just one single HDMI cable.

However, even with the HDMI connected properly to HDMI3/DVI and 3D TV mode set to Mode 2, I am still seeing a halo/ghosting around the 3D images, using the Viewsonic PGD-250 DLP link glasses.

I tried looking for settings to adjust but I can't seem to find any 3D "fine-tuning" on the Panasonic blu-ray player nor the TV. Does anyone know if what I describe here can be fixed by different settings on the TV, or is it due to hardware limitation of the glasses?
Old 08-20-2011, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsscientist View Post

ok, just got the Panasonic BDT-210 to be used with the Onkyo SR876, the passthrough works successfully with 3D video sent directly to the TV using checkerboard format, and sound properly decoded by the AVR, with the use of just one single HDMI cable.

However, even with the HDMI connected properly to HDMI3/DVI and 3D TV mode set to Mode 2, I am still seeing a halo/ghosting around the 3D images, using the Viewsonic PGD-250 DLP link glasses.

I tried looking for settings to adjust but I can't seem to find any 3D "fine-tuning" on the Panasonic blu-ray player nor the TV. Does anyone know if what I describe here can be fixed by different settings on the TV, or is it due to hardware limitation of the glasses?

On Samsung LED DLP, HDMI3/DVI has to be renamed as PC. That should help with halo/ghosting, as some people reported. I've always had HDMI3/DVI renamed as PC and never had problem with halo/ghosting.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

I have a Samsung DLP HL61A750. I use a 3DA-1 with a Gefen HDMI Detective wit the EDID of a Mitsubishi DLP to fool the 3DA-1 and the stupid EDID restrictions. Both the 3DA-1 and 3DC-100S both only have one HDMI input and output. If you have an HDMI 1.3 AVR it will usually not pass the newer 3D signals. Additionally, it is my understanding that Mitsubishi once again put ridiculous EDID restrictions on the 3DC-100s as well. What this means is that it is not compatible with most HDMI 1.3 AVRs unless you purchase a Gefen HDMI Detective and copy the EDID of your Samsung. Additionally, you may be limited to 2.0 audio through the 3DC-100S even if you use a Gefen and place the 3DC-100S upstream of your AVR.

In my setup I have my 3DA-1 / Gefen HDMI Detective upstream of my AVR and have my DirecTv DVR receiver hooked up to it. The audio through HDMI is limited to 2.0 since I used the EDID of an HDTV that was only 2.0 capable. I use a toslink cable to give me 5.1 audio from my DirecTv DVR and lose nothing since that is the best audio that DirecTv offers. I use a Panasonic DMP BDT-300 3D Blu-ray player hooked up directly to my HDMI 1.3 AVR. The audio and picture are perfect through my HDMI 1.3 AVR since the 3D Checkerboard Signal can pass through an HDMI 1.3 AVR with out any problems. Had I bought any other brand of 3D Blu-ray player then I would have been screwed.

If you have a 3D Capable HDMI 1.4 AVR then you can use the 3DC-100S downstream of your AVR and you can use your AVR as a switcher and then it does not matter what brand of 3D Blu-ray player you have. If you do not use an AVR then you can use an HDMI switcher an everything should work great. Mitsubishi really screwed many of use by placing EDID restrictions on its converters.

I generally recommend the Panasonic 3D Blu-ray players to owners of DLP HDTVs for the reasons listed above.

What glasses are you using and any chance of seeing a schmetic of exactly how you are set up?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ACTony View Post

What glasses are you using and any chance of seeing a schmetic of exactly how you are set up?

I am using Samsung SSG1000s Glasses. There is a technique where you can remove the EDID restrictions from most 3DA1s so I am no longer using the Gefen and everything works perfectly.

Post 635 from this thread will tell you what you need to do.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...265912&page=22
Old 10-12-2011, 11:05 PM

i want to know if the 3d-a1 will work with dlp link projectors such as Benq W600+ 3d ready?
i know it will work with viewsonic vp3d1 or optoma 3dxl
Old 10-21-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Post #1 was updated indicating that Mitsubishi now has NO PLANS at this time to sell the stand alone adapter kit using the 3DA-100S. Currently, only the 3DC-100S kit which includes the adapter, emitter, glasses, etc. is available for the Samsung.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Click on the "Clearance" tab on the right-hand side.

Now to convince my wife that the $50 for this and ~$150 for two sets of glasses is worth it. Then again that would only get us the 3-4 channels from DirecTV. I should know this, but the Xbox 360 doesn't have 3D support, does it? I'm mainly asking for streaming/downloading movies, not necessarily for gaming.

I just bought ONE of these "clearance" adapters from Vann's. I wonder how many of these adapters Vann's has... "without the adapter stand, 100% tested to work, bad box"? How can they have multiple adapters with these conditions??? I am glad they have them though!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:03 AM

Liked: 11
Just tested and confirmed the adapter works with HLT-5075s Samsung 720p DLP. I hooked up the adapter with a PS3 and the PS3 recognized it. I used a 3d blu ray and turned the 3d on in the tv menu and boom, 3d content was playing. The resolution is not as good as my HL67A750 but it is 3d never the less. I figured I would share this info.

Cheers
Joel
Old 11-25-2012, 10:26 PM

Liked: 13
2 years later and still $500 on amazon. They're sure making it hard not to just buy a brand new television though I'm still happy with my Samsung DLP after 5 years.