Need HDMI switching solution for frame-packed 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm running a Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 adapter to a Samsung DLP TVs. My TV only has one 3D-capable input but my current setup includes two sources that supply 3D content: an Xbox360, and a Sony BDP-S470 blu-ray player. My pre/pro has no HDMI audio function - all sources are sending coax/optical audio straight to the pre/pro.

Based on user reviews which said it would pass 3D content, I purchased a 4x2 HDMI switch from monoprice (product ID 5312). Side-by-side 3D from the Xbox works fine through the switch, but I found that my blu-ray player will not pass 3D content when plugged like so:
BDP -> switch -> 3DC1000 -> HDMI3

But, if I plug everything in like this:
BDP -> 3DC1000 -> HDMI3

start 3D playback and then, with 3D already running, hotplug the system back to:

then I get 3D, until I switch away from the BDP input and back again. So it would appear that cables, bandwidth, etc. are not the issue, but something in the switch which blocks the ability of the BDP to detect the 3D capabilities of the equipment downstream of the switch when it makes its decision about whether or not to pass 3d at the beginning of playback.

Is anybody here who successfully using an HDMI switch or splitter that will pass 3D frame-packed content (preferably with a Sony BDP)? Any ideas appreciated - I'd love to be able to switch back and forth between 3D devices without swapping HDMI cables.

????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 10:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Sounds like the system I just pulled out today except my hdmi switcher does pass 3D without trouble. It is rated at hdmi 1.3 and will not pass hdmi control nor ethernet and audio feedback if you were looking for those functions. These require full 1.4a spec and 1.4a cables. Just 3D works fine with high bandwidth 1.3 cables and switch.

The switch I used was a Octava 5x1 switch with IR remote control. It is rated for 6.75 Gbps v 1.3. I used it to switch 3D from my PS3 source and my Oppo BDP-93. The projector is a Sony VPL VW90ES. I ran my audio via optical from the PS3 and analog outs from the 7.1 to the preamps.

To switch the preamp optical inputs with the hdmi switch IR control, I used a Home Theater Master programmable remote control with macro script feature. One button switches between two 3D sources, both audio and video and the projector auto switches between the half res broadcast 3D and the frame packed full HD 3D Blu Ray content.

The reason I pulled it just today because I decided to upgrade my AVR to a Denon 4311ci which is 1.4a with 7 x 2 hdmi switching.

Although you are using a Mitsubishi adapter to a DLP, the adapter should take all 3D formats as input but convert to checkerboard output for the DLP required format.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-06-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post

I'm running a Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 adapter to a Samsung DLP TVs. My TV only has one 3D-capable input but my current setup includes two sources that supply 3D content: an Xbox360, and a Sony BDP-S470 blu-ray player. My pre/pro has no HDMI audio function - all sources are sending coax/optical audio straight to the pre/pro.

Based on user reviews which said it would pass 3D content, I purchased a 4x2 HDMI switch from monoprice (product ID 5312). Side-by-side 3D from the Xbox works fine through the switch, but I found that my blu-ray player will not pass 3D content when plugged like so:

But, if I plug everything in like this:
BDP -> 3DC1000 -> HDMI3

start 3D playback and then, with 3D already running, hotplug the system back to:

then I get 3D, until I switch away from the BDP input and back again. So it would appear that cables, bandwidth, etc. are not the issue, but something in the switch which blocks the ability of the BDP to detect the 3D capabilities of the equipment downstream of the switch when it makes its decision about whether or not to pass 3d at the beginning of playback.

Is anybody here who successfully using an HDMI switch or splitter that will pass 3D frame-packed content (preferably with a Sony BDP)? Any ideas appreciated - I'd love to be able to switch back and forth between 3D devices without swapping HDMI cables.

????

I don't think this will help you directly, but if might give you a possibility to investigate.

I use the monoprice 4x4 HDMI active matrix and had problems with my 3DBR player at first. It is a handshake issue where the switch reports back the lowest common denominator EDID, in my case the EDID of my non 3D Epson front projector. Since you are using a switch with two outputs are you running two displays, even if not simultaneously? If not you may have been better served by a 4x1 switch.

This posed no problem with the Xbox as SBS format is just a regular 1080p source as far as your components are concerned, but frame packed 3D is another thing altogether and my Samsung 3DBR player wouldn't output 3D since the switch was reporting that it was connected to a non-3D display.

After mucking around in the menus for awhile I realized that my Samsung has the option to force 3D playback regardless of the EDID it receives. Since enabling this it has been smooth sailing!

I don't have a BDP-S470 to test with ATM, but if you have a chance you should check and see if there is a similar option in your players settings. If not you have a couple options....none of which are very good ones. You can either replace the switch, the BR player, or buy a device like the Geffen HDMI detective and flash it with an EDID that your Sony player will accept.

Sorry, I wish I had a better answer for you. Hopefully though this will set you on the right path. Good luck!
post #4 of 13 Old 02-06-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post

I use the monoprice 4x4 HDMI active matrix and had problems with my 3DBR player at first. It is a handshake issue where the switch reports back the lowest common denominator EDID, in my case the EDID of my non 3D Epson front projector. Since you are using a switch with two outputs are you running two displays, even if not simultaneously? If not you may have been better served by a 4x1 switch.

This posed no problem with the Xbox as SBS format is just a regular 1080p source as far as your components are concerned, but frame packed 3D is another thing altogether and my Samsung 3DBR player wouldn't output 3D since the switch was reporting that it was connected to a non-3D display.

That's a good point, I wonder if the 4x2 switch reports the EDID from a specific output? If so then switching the 2 outputs would solve the problem. Or else you could flash the updated HDMI 3 EDID to which ever TV input the 2nd output on the switch is connected to.

I have a PS3 and DirecTV as sources connected to my HL50A650. I keep the sat box connected to HDMI 1, the PS3 to HDMI 2, and the 3DA-1 to HDMI 3. When I want to watch 3D I just manually move one of the cables to the 3DA-1 input. I added the 3D info to the EDIDs on HDMI 1 and 2 so that I don't get any error messages from DirecTV and the 3D channels stay white in the guide. I can tune to a 3D channel with the sat box still connected to HDMI 1 and it will display the picture in the actual SbS format, if I do that with the PS3 the TV says "mode not supported" but I can just switch the cable over to the 3DA-1 and I get the 3D checkerboard image. This might be a good solution for you since there would be no need to manually switch the cables.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-07-2011, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys. Currently the second output is not connected to anything - my second display is still in the mail, stuck in the midwest due to recent snowstorms. I've decided to return this switch - see below.

I found a post in the HDMI forum from Monoprice support that said the only 4x2 switch they sell that supports 3D is their item number 6415. I may try this one later. In the meantime, I pulled the trigger on a nice-looking $23 3x1 switch I found on Amazon which claims 3D support. It should meet my needs in the short term. We'll see - I'll post my results here.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-11-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

I returned the 4x2 switch to monoprice and ordered BlueRigger 301BN Premium 3 port High speed HDMI switch through Amazon for $23. Only three in and one out, but at less than 1/3 the price of the 4x2 Monoprice switch that they claim works with 3D it seems fair.

Plugged it in and it passes frame-packed 3D from my Sony BDP-S470, and of course side-by-side from Xbox. It is an "automatic" switch, switching inputs when a new device is powered on. This can be overriden by the included remote control. The remote has a "memory" button on it so that you can set the current input to be the default - I'm not exactly sure of the utility of that feature since the switch doesn't have a power button. Maybe useful if you had the unit plugged into a switched outlet somewhere in your system? All in all it's a pretty nice product for the price.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-11-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Thanks for the post/link Jarrod. You don't need to answer me @ Sat Guys!

Ed
post #8 of 13 Old 02-27-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post

I returned the 4x2 switch to monoprice and ordered BlueRigger 301BN Premium 3 port High speed HDMI switch through Amazon for $23. Only three in and one out, but at less than 1/3 the price of the 4x2 Monoprice switch that they claim works with 3D it seems fair.

Plugged it in and it passes frame-packed 3D from my Sony BDP-S470, and of course side-by-side from Xbox. It is an "automatic" switch, switching inputs when a new device is powered on. This can be overriden by the included remote control. The remote has a "memory" button on it so that you can set the current input to be the default - I'm not exactly sure of the utility of that feature since the switch doesn't have a power button. Maybe useful if you had the unit plugged into a switched outlet somewhere in your system? All in all it's a pretty nice product for the price.

I was in the same boat Jarrod; returning the Monoprice & HDTVSupply 4x2's (even tried the more expensive Gefen but no joy w/ my Oppo 93).

I bought this Bluerigger per your recommendation and VIOLA!! Yeah it's only a 3x1 (I saw they make a a 5x1 one too), but my Oppo's 2nd output goes to my non-3D Denon for HD audio and since DirecTV to my knowledge does not stream HD DTS/DD other than possibly PPV, I figure a toslink audio stream is good enough until my 5308ci is 3D upgraded this fall!

Anyhow.... I wanted to say "thanks!" for saving me a few hundred bucks on this work around!!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #9 of 13 Old 02-28-2011, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Anyhow.... I wanted to say "thanks!" for saving me a few hundred bucks on this work around!!

That's great! I had searched and found many threads from people looking for 3D switching but not a lot of answers. Very glad this works for you.

After more than two weeks, and with my switch programmed into my HTM700 remote macros, I've got no issues - it continues to work as promised.

Nice receiver. I once put a Denon 53xx into a system I designed for a friend of the family. Nice piece. I have not made the jump to lossless audio yet - still loving the sound of my B&K ref 50. Will wait to upgrade until we've got several options for flagship HDMI 1.4 pre/pros with balanced outputs.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-28-2011, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Unfortunately, Amazon now shows this as not in stock (301BN) & they don't know if they'll have it again.

Ed
post #11 of 13 Old 03-01-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Unfortunately, Amazon now shows this as not in stock (301BN) & they don't know if they'll have it again.

Ed

Found one here but this looks like a Amazon site.
http://www.led3dtvprice.com/detail/p...0p-onsale.html
post #12 of 13 Old 03-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I must of gotten the last one
post #13 of 13 Old 06-17-2013, 09:25 PM

Liked: 11
What refresh rate is required for 3d? is 120hz just needed for frame sequential? I would think images that are put into one frame would work fine at Framepacked 60hz. Very confused
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page