3d on a Mits DLP- receiver vs player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-10-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently own a 65"Mits 3d ready WD-65837 with an Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver... I can spend around 400 and get the Panasonic DMP-BDT300 3d player that has two HDMI outs and be done... or upgrade my receiver to the Denon AVR-791 and get the cheaper Panasonic DMP-BDT100 3d player... basically was looking for the pro's and con's of each option.. obviously I am spending more upgrading the receiver but off setting some of that cost by saving on the less expensive 3d player....thanks for any advice/information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the 100. The 300 seems like a much nicer machine all the way around. I'll bet they last longer overall.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 09:49 AM

Why do you need to upgrade the receiver with the 100? It outputs in checkerboard so your old receiver should have no problem with handling HD audio.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-15-2011, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

My understanding is since my Onkyo receiver is only 1.3 compliant that if I use the Panasonic 100 with it I will lose some of the HD audio capabilities when using it for 3d movies... if I purchased the Denon it is 1.4 compliant and I would not lose any of the HD audio with the Panasonic 100 or if I kept the Onkyo and purchased the Panasonic 300 I would have to use both HDMI ports and run one to the receiver for the audio so I would get the full hd audio when watching 3d and one straight to the Mits TV for the 3d video.

I was just curious if either option was better audio or video wise and I guess wondering how much better audio the Denon would output over the older Onkyo since they both are pretty similar specs in the audio department.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-15-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagar55 View Post

My understanding is since my Onkyo receiver is only 1.3 compliant that if I use the Panasonic 100 with it I will lose some of the HD audio capabilities when using it for 3d movies... if I purchased the Denon it is 1.4 compliant and I would not lose any of the HD audio with the Panasonic 100 or if I kept the Onkyo and purchased the Panasonic 300 I would have to use both HDMI ports and run one to the receiver for the audio so I would get the full hd audio when watching 3d and one straight to the Mits TV for the 3d video.

You're correct that the 1.3 receiver will not process the HD audio when receiving the frame packed 3d format; however it will process it when receiving the checkerboard format, which the 100 can send out so you would not lose any HD audio capabilities. My suggestion would be to buy a 100 somewhere you could return it if you were not pleased with it; however it should get you HD audio without having to buy another AVR.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmanias View Post

You're correct that the 1.3 receiver will not process the HD audio when receiving the frame packed 3d format; however it will process it when receiving the checkerboard format, which the 100 can send out so you would not lose any HD audio capabilities. My suggestion would be to buy a 100 somewhere you could return it if you were not pleased with it; however it should get you HD audio without having to buy another AVR.

Hmmmmm-you're SURE about this? I ain't no expert but I don't understand what the 3D video format would have to do with the passing of HD audio. Not the way I understand it but I've certainly been wrong before. If this is correct I should be able to use the output from my Mits 3DA1 adapter (converts SBS to checkerboard) to my 1.3 Onkyo AV receiver, to my Mits 3D DLP TV and have HD audio & 3D video. I might try it today but I DON'T expect it to pass 3D through to the TV.

Ed
post #7 of 12 Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I actually tested this with a low end Sony 510 AVR or something like that.

It worked. The AVR was really surprisingly good and was only $130, I should of kept it. Lots of connections compared to many other AVR's out there these days.

It did not trancode from analog to HDMI and my new Mitsu is lacking in the input department.

I defiently sent Checkerboard 3D through it from the Panasonic 3D Bluray player and had audio over the HDMI.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-15-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

PS: The reason this is so? Because Checkerboard is really standard 1080 video with both L/R sort of mux'd in.

What comes off the Bluray player from a 3D BD is not. It is two full 1080p frames packed into one jumbo frame.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-15-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Hmmmmm-you're SURE about this? I ain't no expert but I don't understand what the 3D video format would have to do with the passing of HD audio. Not the way I understand it but I've certainly been wrong before. If this is correct I should be able to use the output from my Mits 3DA1 adapter (converts SBS to checkerboard) to my 1.3 Onkyo AV receiver, to my Mits 3D DLP TV and have HD audio & 3D video. I might try it today but I DON'T expect it to pass 3D through to the TV.

Ed

The reason the Mits adapter doesn't work when installed between the bluray player and the AVR is because Mitsubishi requires it (through the EDID) to be connected to the DLP TV directly. If they had not put this requirement it would work (and made things much simpler for us). As John explained, checkerboard is no different than a 1080p signal so 1.3 receivers don't have a problem with it.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-15-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmanias View Post

The reason the Mits adapter doesn't work when installed between the bluray player and the AVR is because Mitsubishi requires it (through the EDID) to be connected to the DLP TV directly. If they had not put this requirement it would work (and made things much simpler for us). As John explained, checkerboard is no different than a 1080p signal so 1.3 receivers don't have a problem with it.

I didn't think it work but I'll probably get a flash of energy and try it anyway just for kicks. A lot of crawling around behind my equipment for an old man......

Ed
post #11 of 12 Old 02-15-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I was just using the Panny player and the display. No converter.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-15-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

I didn't think it work but I'll probably get a flash of energy and try it anyway just for kicks. A lot of crawling around behind my equipment for an old man......

Ed

It will only work with the Panasonic blu-ray 3d players that output checkerboard; it will not work with the Mits adapter.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page