Upcoming Sony Vegas Pro 10D to have MVC editing ability - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
When you get a chance, please check out these two 3D videos and tell me how they look.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7350380/grey%20squirrel.ts
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7350380/fox-2.ts

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycheejo View Post

?

Following DON LANDIS´talk with JVC..."you can only watch MVC via HDMI 1.4 on TV..." I tell you, this is wrong. Even in the manual they tell you that rubbish. Copying, erasing and drag/drop is possible via USB-cable !!!

lycheejo

Yes... all of this is possible. That's because it is seen as a NORMAL mp4 file by anything other than the jvc camera. The JVC cam is the only device that will see it as a frame packed interlace file (3D). Copy it to a hard drive/stick and play it on your HD player... it will appear as a normal 2D mp4 file.

As for editing.... Vegas CANNOT yet edit MVC. I would guess that what you're doing is offloading avchd SBS (1/2 res) and using Vegas to convert it to full 3840x1080 (which Vegas is fully capable of doing)
Now Vegas 10D (when ever the heck it comes out) WILL be able do edit full MVC... just not sure about the JVC cams yet though.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

My Vegas simply crashes when I try opening one of the MVC files.

I get a crash as well... but I believe that has more to do with either the MP4 container.... or the AAC audio.

When I extract the H.264 and the AAC audio from the MP4 container, convert the audio to AC3 (which Vegas likes) and remux into a M2TS container, it then imports to Vegas fine.... it just doesn't see the frame packed interlace. In other words it plays as a normal 2D video.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post

That's good to know from my point of view as I just ordered a PN63C8000.

That's the one I have.

Joe Clark

Old 04-25-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

That's the one I have.

I know. I was planning on buying the new PN64D8000 but my understanding is that it doesn't support checkerboard even though it's supposed to.
After 8 phone calls to Samsung I finally gave up and went with last years model.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

When you get a chance, please check out these two 3D videos and tell me how they look.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7350380/grey%20squirrel.ts
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7350380/fox-2.ts

The squirrel video looks good. The fox video left/right images diverge too much. I usually don't have trouble converging stereo pairs, but they were so far apart that I think it would have given me a headache to watch for very long. Are you working on your variable convergence control for your Canon rig?

Joe Clark

Old 04-25-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The squirrel video looks good. The fox video left/right images diverge too much. I usually don't have trouble converging stereo pairs, but they were so far apart that I think it would have given me a headache to watch for very long. Are you working on your variable convergence control for your Canon rig?

Thanks, that's just the kind of feedback I needed.
The thing about the fox video is that I was sitting in my office eating supper and looking at my computer monitor and saw the fox 3D feed from my R2D3 roving vehicle and tried following it around with my mouse while eating.
Normally I would have adjusted the convergence on the fly (I do have servo control of it) but couldn't do it and eat at the same time.

P.S. what did you watch the video on?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, that's just the kind of feedback I needed.
The thing about the fox video is that I was sitting in my office eating supper and looking at my computer monitor and saw the fox 3D feed from my R2D3 roving vehicle and tried following it around with my mouse while eating.
Normally I would have adjusted the convergence on the fly (I do have servo control of it) but couldn't do it and eat at the same time.

P.S. what did you watch the video on?

I watched it on my RS40. It contains the sort of neutral colors that tend not to crosstalk much on the RS40. I have to look more closely for it.

Joe Clark

Old 04-25-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I watched it on my RS40. It contains the sort of neutral colors that tend not to crosstalk much on the RS40. I have to look more closely for it.

I just looked at the video again and I see what you mean about the divergence. I am able to make it much more watchable by reducing the 3D video window size.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

My guess is the answer is more likely tied to your choice of subject material and location. Static scenes in a well lit setting do wonders for maximizing pq. Edited to add - OK, I see I jumped the gun on that assumption as I now see from the other thread that the comparisons were being made with the same source material. Maybe as an alternative explanation it has something to do with our own work looking better to us than it does to critics? lol

I'm not looking for affirmation of my shooting technique. I'm fairly comfortable with that. I'm talking purely about the inherent quality of the recorded SbS images. After watching the clips very critically in the last couple of days, I'm an even bigger fan of the JVC camcorder. I think the TD1 images look great, even in SbS mode. My plan is to go back and try to duplicate the same shots as closely as possible in MVC mode. I think the detail present in the TD1 SbS images is remarkable. I can't wait to compare that video directly with full res 3D HD. I also have great hope for the quality of 3D programs I expect to be able to edit when MVC editing tools are developed to work with the JVC files. That brings me back to Vegas. I hope that Sony (or Adobe or Cyberlink or someone) chooses to support JVC's MVC video, and sooner rather than later.

Joe Clark

Old 04-25-2011, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Can the JVC output the MVC file to your hard drive? If so, can you upload some content so I can play with it here in Vegas? When I spoke to the JVC rep he said the camcorder will only output that MVC through the hdmi cable to view on the monitor which is what I was looking at. But, I was uncomfortable with the rep's overall knowhow on the camcorder. Of course, I won't be able to do anything until they release the 10e version.

I believe Frank said he's copied MVC files from the JVC (not certain of the specifics) and played them via software on the computer. Right now, I only have a couple of poor videos I shot in MVC mode in my neighborhood. When I go back to the Garden, I'll post some MVC clips in Dropbox. I'm still not up and running with 3D on my computer (except for SbS of course). It's been a relatively low priority for me up to this point.

Joe Clark

Old 04-26-2011, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I hope Vegas is taking so long because they are trying to get the JVC files to work. But I doubt that, probably just wishful thinking.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 168
bravia3D- I have a new theory after seeing the latest update to the TD10. They added 24P recording in 3D to the HDR TD10 and that option was not available in the Vegas 10D version so with the addition to the camcorder, it is quite likely they had to redo some code on Vegas lest they be accused of releasing Vegas that can't edit what their own camcorder can do.
The 24P capability was to be available only in the Pro version of the TD10, not the consumer but this week they upgraded the website to include 24P in the specs. Thus the reason for both being delayed. If that's the reason for the delays, then I'm pleased they are doing that. Bottom line- my theory has nothing to do with JVC and I think Sony doesn't care about JVC. Why should they? Sony has always considered their offerings superior to JVC.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:22 AM

Liked: 10
This is exactly, what I can see in VEGAS with a 3840 x 1080 project...
http://iwatch3d.com/2010/09/10/notti...-sexy-dancers/

This is the MP4/MVC stream. As I told you before, I can watch and edit in 10.0c - but no rendering at the very moment because of still missing 10.0d....

Importing of this matreial into VEGAS doesn´t have crashes here.

Because Germany doesn´t have support for VEGAS, I just calles US-support for VEGAS 10.0d street day. They told me, it will be seen on theier homepage. What kind of wonderful genius answers they have....

lycheejo
Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'm not looking for affirmation of my shooting technique. I'm fairly comfortable with that. I'm talking purely about the inherent quality of the recorded SbS images. After watching the clips very critically in the last couple of days, I'm an even bigger fan of the JVC camcorder. I think the TD1 images look great, even in SbS mode. My plan is to go back and try to duplicate the same shots as closely as possible in MVC mode. I think the detail present in the TD1 SbS images is remarkable. I can't wait to compare that video directly with full res 3D HD. I also have great hope for the quality of 3D programs I expect to be able to edit when MVC editing tools are developed to work with the JVC files. That brings me back to Vegas. I hope that Sony (or Adobe or Cyberlink or someone) chooses to support JVC's MVC video, and sooner rather than later.

I happen to prefer the shooting style of the camera should not be visible, and that is what you do. As for camcorder image quality, for a given mode, the JVC will do great. I have no doubt about that and I feel the output will be very similar to the Sony in an equivalent class camera. As stated before, my preference for Sony has more to do with direct and 3rd party support as well as the ergonomics of the camera. Weak link in the chain.

Frank- I checked out your two nature clips on my projector and they both looked very good. I didn't find any divergence in the FOX video and the 3D was actually very good. A little bland on the color but that had nothing to do with 3D but more to do with the environment. All color in the scene was very well saturated and nothing I saw had any translucency or what 3D critics call ghosting. If anyone saw ghosting on your shots, double imaging, then maybe there is some issues being injected by the display technology in use. I'm using the Sony, VPL VW90ES. I took your *.ts files in on the Sony Vegas timeline and output it as a sbs wmv file and networked it to my PS3 which was used to output the 3D to the projector.

BTW- any file I test here has to be in the form of something that will stream to my PS3 and play or I must convert it. I find wmv files easy to render and they generally look very good when rendered in Vegas. The other way is to burn it to DVD like Joe's iso file and then I can play it in the 3D BD player.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Frank- I checked out your two nature clips on my projector and they both looked very good. I didn't find any divergence in the FOX video and the 3D was actually very good. A little bland on the color but that had nothing to do with 3D but more to do with the environment. All color in the scene was very well saturated and nothing I saw had any translucency or what 3D critics call ghosting. If anyone saw ghosting on your shots, double imaging, then maybe there is some issues being injected by the display technology in use. I'm using the Sony, VPL VW90ES.

Thanks for reviewing them.
It's interesting that Joe finds too much divergence and you don't. I notice it but it doesn't bother me. My cataract surgery might have something to do with it?
It seems your Sony shows less crosstalk then Joe's JVC projector. Interesting.....

Old 04-26-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Frank- what camera system were you using? I believe you now have 3 3D systems. JVC, GoPro modified with your lenses and the original dual camcorders on your own bench.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Frank- what camera system were you using? I believe you now have 3 3D systems. JVC, GoPro modified with your lenses and the original dual camcorders on your own bench.

Those videos were recorded from R2D3 (my remote controlled 3D camera system mounted on a Traxxas Summit)
I typically control it from my office and watch the live 3D feed on my Samsung Un40C7000 computer monitor.
I actually have two JVC GS-TD1's and 2 GoPro Hero's one of which I changed the lenses on.
The other is currently being modified.
I have two other systems I am in the process of building, one is a mirror rig.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for reviewing them.
It's interesting that Joe finds too much divergence and you don't. I notice it but it doesn't bother me. My cataract surgery might have something to do with it?
It seems your Sony shows less crosstalk then Joe's JVC projector. Interesting.....

To me, ghosting is the nastiest thing about our current crop of 3D displays. And from what I've experienced, ghosting is almost always a function of the display, with the glasses a much more minor offender. But it's not a simple thing, as you well know, Frank. Your homemade test images were the first ones I used to check the ghosting on my Samsung plasma. I was shocked to see how much actual ghosting there was. I believe you found much the same level of ghosting on your Panasonic plasma at the time.

JVC engineers made a design decision to use a 96hz frame rate for their 3D projectors (2x24 fps/eye or 48hz per eye, for a total frame rate of 96 fps). For commercial 3D Blu-ray, that was a great decision. Ghosting is almost never an issue for me with my RS40 when I watch Avatar or Monsters vs Aliens, or any other commercial disc with material mastered at 24p per eye. It's a completely different story with material shot at 60i per eye (120hz total), such as the JVC TD1, or 720p 120hz gaming. Ghosting is much more severe at 120hz than at 96hz with the JVCs. OTOH, I seem to recall reading in the Sony thread that some people have had more problems with ghosting on the Sony projector, which I believe only operates at 120hz in 3D mode for 24p content. Don can correct me if I'm wrong about that. AFAIK, the Sony has no 96hz 3D mode at all, just as the the JVC has no 120hz 3D mode for 24p content.

It's an issue of compromises in these first generation products. DLP projection seems to be the technology that's most immune to ghosting, but many prefer the JVCs and Sonys for their better image quality in other areas. I wish we could skip forward a couple of years to the point when ghosting has been eliminated. When we're there, the images from these first gen camcorders will look even better than they do now. After all, it's not the camcorders that ghost. The displays are responsible for the ghosting we see.

For you, Frank, since you don't watch 3D Blu-ray, and you shoot 60i 3D all the time, a JVC projector would be a really bad choice. That hardly matters, though, because none of the projectors on the market can do checkerboard, which is a very important feature for you. For me, the JVC is a great choice, since most of the 3D I watch is 24p based movies on 3D Blu-ray. I'll watch most of TD1 footage on the Samsung plasma, where it looks great. Meanwhile, I'll have to wait for the next gen of projection technology that ghosts less at 60i. Maybe next year.

Joe Clark

Old 04-26-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

you mean one of these? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyPCjaWKtcM

That thing will go everywhere except underwater. How do you control the video and send the video back?
Old 04-26-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To me, ghosting is the nastiest thing about our current crop of 3D displays. And from what I've experienced, ghosting is almost always a function of the display, with the glasses a much more minor offender. But it's not a simple thing, as you well know, Frank. Your homemade test images were the first ones I used to check the ghosting on my Samsung plasma. I was shocked to see how much actual ghosting there was. I believe you found much the same level of ghosting on your Panasonic plasma at the time.

JVC engineers made a design decision to use a 96hz frame rate for their 3D projectors (2x24 fps/eye or 48hz per eye, for a total frame rate of 96 fps). For commercial 3D Blu-ray, that was a great decision. Ghosting is almost never an issue for me with my RS40 when I watch Avatar or Monsters vs Aliens, or any other commercial disc with material mastered at 24p per eye. It's a completely different story with material shot at 60i per eye (120hz total), such as the JVC TD1, or 720p 120hz gaming. Ghosting is much more severe at 120hz than at 96hz with the JVCs. OTOH, I seem to recall reading in the Sony thread that some people have had more problems with ghosting on the Sony projector, which I believe only operates at 120hz in 3D mode for 24p content. Don can correct me if I'm wrong about that. AFAIK, the Sony has no 96hz 3D mode at all, just as the the JVC has no 120hz 3D mode for 24p content.

It's an issue of compromises in these first generation products. DLP projection seems to be the technology that's most immune to ghosting, but many prefer the JVCs and Sonys for their better image quality in other areas. I wish we could skip forward a couple of years to the point when ghosting has been eliminated. When we're there, the images from these first gen camcorders will look even better than they do now. After all, it's not the camcorders that ghost. The displays are responsible for the ghosting we see.

For you, Frank, since you don't watch 3D Blu-ray, and you shoot 60i 3D all the time, a JVC projector would be a really bad choice. That hardly matters, though, because none of the projectors on the market can do checkerboard, which is a very important feature for you. For me, the JVC is a great choice, since most of the 3D I watch is 24p based movies on 3D Blu-ray. I'll watch most of TD1 footage on the Samsung plasma, where it looks great. Meanwhile, I'll have to wait for the next gen of projection technology that ghosts less at 60i. Maybe next year.

Don watched my videos after converting them to WMV format at 30P. I wonder if that makes a difference vs 60I as far as ghosting?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Those videos were recorded from R2D3 (my remote controlled 3D camera system mounted on a Traxxas Summit)
I typically control it from my office and watch the live 3D feed on my Samsung Un40C7000 computer monitor.
I actually have two JVC GS-TD1's and 2 GoPro Hero's one of which I changed the lenses on.
The other is currently being modified.
I have two other systems I am in the process of building, one is a mirror rig.

Wow - I can't wait to see pictures of that mirror rig!!!

Did you ever resolve the problem with the right lens in your first TD1? As I recall, the focus was soft in the right frame of some of the videos. I have yet to pick up on any difference in the right and left eye views with my TD1. I think I got lucky. They appear equally sharp, and the color and exposure look virtually identical to me.

Joe Clark

Old 04-26-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Don watched my videos after converting them to WMV format at 30P. I wonder if that makes a difference vs 60I as far as ghosting?

I'm curious about that, too, with his Sony projector. With the clips I rendered in Premiere, there doesn't appear to be any improvement in ghosting with 30p vs 60i on my JVC. It's not ideal, that's for sure.

Joe Clark

Old 04-26-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow - I can't wait to see pictures of that mirror rig!!!

Did you ever resolve the problem with the right lens in your first TD1? As I recall, the focus was soft in the right frame of some of the videos. I have yet to pick up on any difference in the right and left eye views with my TD1. I think I got lucky. They appear equally sharp, and the color and exposure look virtually identical to me.

Don't tell anybody but I decided to keep it because I plan on hacking it thus voiding the warranty.
I was building the mirror rig without benefit of a lathe or milling machine and it was rapidly becoming a problem to complete. I hope to have both soon after selling some property.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Don't tell anybody but I decided to keep it because I plan on hacking it thus voiding the warranty.
I was building the mirror rig without benefit of a lathe or milling machine and it was rapidly becoming a problem to complete. I hope to have both soon after selling some property.

I wish I had half your ingenuity with such things, Frank.

Joe Clark

Old 04-26-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I happen to prefer the shooting style of the camera should not be visible, and that is what you do. As for camcorder image quality, for a given mode, the JVC will do great. I have no doubt about that and I feel the output will be very similar to the Sony in an equivalent class camera. As stated before, my preference for Sony has more to do with direct and 3rd party support as well as the ergonomics of the camera. Weak link in the chain.

Frank- I checked out your two nature clips on my projector and they both looked very good. I didn't find any divergence in the FOX video and the 3D was actually very good. A little bland on the color but that had nothing to do with 3D but more to do with the environment. All color in the scene was very well saturated and nothing I saw had any translucency or what 3D critics call ghosting. If anyone saw ghosting on your shots, double imaging, then maybe there is some issues being injected by the display technology in use. I'm using the Sony, VPL VW90ES. I took your *.ts files in on the Sony Vegas timeline and output it as a sbs wmv file and networked it to my PS3 which was used to output the 3D to the projector.

BTW- any file I test here has to be in the form of something that will stream to my PS3 and play or I must convert it. I find wmv files easy to render and they generally look very good when rendered in Vegas. The other way is to burn it to DVD like Joe's iso file and then I can play it in the 3D BD player.

I look for divergence issues by watching the edges of the 3D frame(s). Frank's fox video had images which had greater than normal left/right offset. I see it as a wide dark area on the left side of the 3D image in the fox video. I don't have to work too hard to tell it's there, because I can actually feel the muscles pulling my eyes in (crossing) in shots that have wider than normal divergence. When I feel that, I look immediately at the edges of the frame and look for that wide dark overlap area. It's usually not a problem, after the eyes adjust, but it's especially noticeable when the shot just before or after it has much less divergence, such as the squirrel shot. In the real world, with how our eyes work, the transition is smooth and natural. In film or video, when cuts force us to make that transition too often, it's jarring and ultimately tiring. I've noticed it in some of the Imax 3D films, where exactly the same thing happens. Rapid cuts from 3D shots with wide divergence, narrow divergence, back to wide, back to narrow, etc. - they bother me.

As to whether Sony should support the JVC MVC format in Vegas, I want to see companies support standards we can all live with. In a young, fragile 3D industry why not do everything possible to grow the market by making products that work together, rather than taking the short sighted "I did it my way" mentality? The manufacturers made that mistake by creating shutter glasses that don't work between systems. I don't think that's done anything but hurt the market. Why make the same mistake with 3D software? No sense making an uphill battle even more challenging. There's plenty of room for JVC and Sony 3D camcorders in the market. Why try to force us to make a "Sohpie's Choice" through editing software? That's just wrong.

Joe Clark

Old 04-26-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Beam Splitting Mirror rig:

The main advantage I learned from working with the over / through or under / through Beam splitter assembly is to have one system that can be adjusted from close I-O of 1" to wide I-O of up to 6 inches depending on the size of the scene you need to shoot. With larger format cameras the lenses are of such diameter that makes spacing a conflict on a traditional simple bench. You just can't get the two cameras close enough side by side so mounting one vertical with a one way mirror is how they get the required spacing for the larger cameras needing an I-O of under 5" or so. The main issue with the mirror rig is camera calibration and alignment which seemed to me to be several orders of magnitude more difficult than a simple horizontal bench. However, the guys doing this with the big budgets highly recommend using a stereographic analyzer that aids in zeroing in your alignment. The decision to mount the vertical camera over or under has to do with the angle of light ( typically the sun) that can cause lens flares and glare on the mirror. The better designed rigs are capable of mounting both ways, leaving the choice up to the DP.
Another thing that needs to be considered is that the camera reflecting off the mirror surface will need to be image flipped. Not sure how you plan to achieve that.
The bottom line from what I learned was that the mirror system is quite a jump in difficulty and cost and setup time for the sole purpose of accommodating larger cameras and lenses necessary for major motion picture production.
A good study is available on the Technica3D.com website.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

From Joseph Clark: As to whether Sony should support the JVC MVC format in Vegas, I want to see companies support standards we can all live with. In a young, fragile 3D industry why not do everything possible to grow the market by making products that work together, rather than taking the short sighted "I did it my way" mentality? The manufacturers made that mistake by creating shutter glasses that don't work between systems. I don't think that's done anything but hurt the market. Why make the same mistake with 3D software? No sense making an uphill battle even more challenging. There's plenty of room for JVC and Sony 3D camcorders in the market. Why try to force us to make a "Sohpie's Choice" through editing software? That's just wrong.

There are several issues here, like technical and marketing, and competitive business. As a JVC owner, you have to consider that one disadvantage of owning a JVC is the lack of support, not only from JVC but also from 3rd party. There has to be a good reason to go with the JVC when you know it doesn't have the support you want. I think the main reason was that JVC put it to market a couple months before Sony was ready. Eventually, I believe independents like Adobe and Apple who have equally popular edit platforms will support all the competing cameras out there if for no other reason is that will help them in sales since they don't make cameras. Also, you have to remember that you and the rest of us are extreme early adopters in the 3D stereographic industry, especially in the amateur 3D production game. So, it is important to understand what each of the suppliers offer. JVC has no plans that I know of to support their 3D cameras with editing and will remain satisfied to leave that up to their customers. Sony, has a completely different attitude and wants to support their customers with a complete production, post production, authoring, and fulfillment package to include everything you need including sound effects library, music clips audio mix, bluray authoring, and duplication, and they even offer training classes, in some locations free to customers. To one who just wants to tinker around, these things aren't important. To me, extremely important because I'm not interested in reinventing the wheel and hobnobbing the work flow together. I have different goals which is to produce a finished product I can enjoy, my family and friends can enjoy, and I may be able to market and sell it to augment my paycheck. Let me spend my time on the creative end and use my technical background for understanding what others have done. In the end the business goal for Sony is to support Sony and its customers, not the competition. There is plenty of room for Premiere and FCP to support those who want a mix bag of tools to do the job.
PS- I have both Premiere and FCP here in the edit suite but I own 3 licenses for Vegas. There is a good reason why.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I am hoping Vegas will support the JVC, and I hope thats why it's taking long to be released.

JVC should have released software to edit full HD themselves.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

Old 04-26-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There are several issues here, like technical and marketing, and competitive business. As a JVC owner, you have to consider that one disadvantage of owning a JVC is the lack of support, not only from JVC but also from 3rd party. There has to be a good reason to go with the JVC when you know it doesn't have the support you want. I think the main reason was that JVC put it to market a couple months before Sony was ready. Eventually, I believe independents like Adobe and Apple who have equally popular edit platforms will support all the competing cameras out there if for no other reason is that will help them in sales since they don't make cameras. Also, you have to remember that you and the rest of us are extreme early adopters in the 3D stereographic industry, especially in the amateur 3D production game. So, it is important to understand what each of the suppliers offer. JVC has no plans that I know of to support their 3D cameras with editing and will remain satisfied to leave that up to their customers. Sony, has a completely different attitude and wants to support their customers with a complete production, post production, authoring, and fulfillment package to include everything you need including sound effects library, music clips audio mix, bluray authoring, and duplication, and they even offer training classes, in some locations free to customers. To one who just wants to tinker around, these things aren't important. To me, extremely important because I'm not interested in reinventing the wheel and hobnobbing the work flow together. I have different goals which is to produce a finished product I can enjoy, my family and friends can enjoy, and I may be able to market and sell it to augment my paycheck. Let me spend my time on the creative end and use my technical background for understanding what others have done. In the end the business goal for Sony is to support Sony and its customers, not the competition. There is plenty of room for Premiere and FCP to support those who want a mix bag of tools to do the job.
PS- I have both Premiere and FCP here in the edit suite but I own 3 licenses for Vegas. There is a good reason why.

All very good points, Don, especially the one about us being early adopters. I'm extremely impatient when it comes to 3D. If Sony had been first to market with its 3D camcorder, I might well have one in hand already. And I can't wait to see some clips from the Sony when people start sharing them. I love the images the JVC produces, but I'm sure I'll be more frustrated when I smack up against its limitations with other types of shooting and different locations. I'm sure Sony owners will feel the same.

Joe Clark