post #301 of 315 Old 07-22-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I imported the left/right files into Vegas, deinterlaced them with Yadif, and imported them back into the project. More experimenting could lead to even better results. Thanks for finding this. That's twice in as many weeks that you've come through for us. Bravo!

My pleasure, Joe. A question: are you at all worried about what the extra processing step might do to the image quality?

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 315 Old 07-22-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

My pleasure, Joe. A question: are you at all worried about what the extra processing step might do to the image quality?

I think there may be some slight softening of the image and a tiny additional bit of line twitter, but it's extremely difficult to pick up. The shot has tremendous detail, and a fair amount of movement with the kids bouncing around. There are plenty of opportunities for things to go wrong, but it holds up very well in the conversion from interlace to progressive - certainly much, much better than Vegas alone. I wouldn't hesitate to use the shot now, and I wouldn't have thought of using it before Yadif.

There's still seems to be something going on in the MVCtoAVI splitting process that's more than an interlace issue. When I play the mp4 copied straight to the hard drive from the JVC, I don't see the problems that I detect with the extracted files. Both left and right videos show what looks like a doubling/ghosting in fast movement. Playing the mp4 (which should be Windows Media Player playing just the left image of the MVC), that doubling is not present (or at least not nearly to the extent that it is in the split files). I'd like to understand what's going on. However, it looks as though Yadif is going to allow me to salvage some files that I've considered completely unusable.

Joe Clark

post #303 of 315 Old 07-22-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I also think I'm going to be using the Matrox codecs instead of Cineform with MVCtoAVI - unless I have unusual image processing needs that only FirstLight can handle. It's one less step, and it appears that I can maintain comparable image quality while using slightly less disk space. The conversions seem to take about the same amount of time, too. I won't know for sure until I do another project, but that's the way I'm leaning right now.

Joe Clark

post #304 of 315 Old 07-24-2011, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Joe, I've just learned that the Yadif plug-in does not crash rendering with all 3D subclips. It seems to have something to do with the length of the clip: short ones render fine. Give it a test when you have a moment.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #305 of 315 Old 07-24-2011, 04:20 PM

Liked: 11
is it possible import a couple of files from the camera in to Vegas, edit them and then send them back to the camera?
When I edit it with vegas what would I save it as?
ty
post #306 of 315 Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasm
is it possible import a couple of files from the camera in to Vegas, edit them and then send them back to the camera?
When I edit it with vegas what would I save it as?
ty
Supposedly, you can do that with PMB. I have done it with 2D but never with 3D. I suggest you try the help files and see what it says.
post #307 of 315 Old 07-24-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post
Joe, I've just learned that the Yadif plug-in does not crash rendering with all 3D subclips. It seems to have something to do with the length of the clip: short ones render fine. Give it a test when you have a moment.
I'll give it a try. All the shots for my current video are short.

Joe Clark

post #308 of 315 Old 07-24-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Supposedly, you can do that with PMB. I have done it with 2D but never with 3D. I suggest you try the help files and see what it says.
I meant to ask you, which Registry scrubber did you use when you removed TMT5 from your system? I've had the most success lately with PowerDVD 11, and I think I'll remove TMT5 from my system and concentrate on PDVD. I am experiencing some wonkiness, and it's time to start eliminating some likely suspects.

Joe Clark

post #309 of 315 Old 07-24-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark

I meant to ask you, which Registry scrubber did you use when you removed TMT5 from your system? I've had the most success lately with PowerDVD 11, and I think I'll remove TMT5 from my system and concentrate on PDVD. I am experiencing some wonkiness, and it's time to start eliminating some likely suspects.
With TMT5 I did it manually one section at a time. Only left remnants in one section for software.

Sorry, got sidetracked. I usually use advanced registry optimizer.
post #310 of 315 Old 09-03-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I started a new thread for this question so if you have a comment or an answer please respond there. That way we can keep it together. I gave it a couple days in this thread but there was no activity, so I started a new thread in hope of reaching a larger group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

A number of posters here report success at viewing 3D BD iso files they created with Sony Vegas Pro 10 by mounting them as virtual drives (say, using Daemon Tools lite), and viewing them with Power DVD 10 Ultra.

When I try it, PowerDVD 10 Ultra gives me this message:

"There is a disk with an unsupported format in drive K"

I have no problem viewing all kinds of other 3D Blu Ray iso images mounted on my hard drive - only get this error in PowerDVD when I try to view 3D Blu Ray iso images I created myself & rendered in Vegas. This iso is small, video lasting 11 minutes.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone find a solution?

I'm using Vegas 10e, 64 bit, Windows 7 Home.

(Thanks to Petri for the workaround using Stereoscopic Player described in message #5.)

post #311 of 315 Old 06-09-2012, 08:54 AM

Looking to add pan-and-scan (or pan to crop, if you prefer) effects to 3D stills and incorporate them into a slideshow movie, then possibly burn to Blu-Ray. I see some old posts about Vegas 10D being able to pan and crop to key frames in 3D video but then unable to render a smooth final product. How about Vegas Pro 11? This goes toward making a professional-looking 3D DVD product with smooth Ken Burns-type effects in stills and video. Any users of any software product doing the same thing?
post #312 of 315 Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Pan and crop in Vegas is quite a nice tool but takes some time to learn to use. There are many very sophisticated features such as complex matte generation with bezier curves that can be keyframed and soft blend but these take lots of attention to detail and time to do. They all render just fine, even in 3D. If someone has had trouble as mentioned, it is likely they didn't understand how to use the tool. In Vegas you have to create all your moves manually, but there are plugins that you can buy from 3rd party to automate the process with presets. Ultimate S Pro plugin is probably a good place to start with its Photo montage tool. If you use Vegas Pro, you should study up on what plugins are out there to enhance the basic editor. Since you specifically want 3D then the choice is pretty limited. Vegas Pro is where the action is.

In this video on You Tube I made some very basic photo montage composites in the beginning of the part on Voices of Liberty. These stills were shots of the many paintings in the building. These were all done with Vegas Pan and Crop tool.
post #313 of 315 Old 06-10-2012, 10:40 PM

I've been playing with stereo pairs for awhile, but this is great info before I jump into full-fledged 3D editing software.
post #314 of 315 Old 06-11-2012, 06:36 PM

One more-
Is anybody using only a Mac with either PowerDirector 10 or one of the Vegas Pro or Platinum programs to edit (thru Windows of course) their 3D footage? I saw there were some compatibility issues that might compromise the quality of the final output even when the software seems to be running reasonably well. I'm a Mac guy, but I'm considering getting a decent Windows laptop with enough horsepower solely to edit and author 3D BluRays instead of fumbling thru the Mac-only processes.
post #315 of 315 Old 06-11-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dPCH View Post

One more-
Is anybody using only a Mac with either PowerDirector 10 or one of the Vegas Pro or Platinum programs to edit (thru Windows of course) their 3D footage? I saw there were some compatibility issues that might compromise the quality of the final output even when the software seems to be running reasonably well. I'm a Mac guy, but I'm considering getting a decent Windows laptop with enough horsepower solely to edit and author 3D BluRays instead of fumbling thru the Mac-only processes.

Not a Mac guy any more, so I can't help there. I would suggest you look at a desktop PC for 3D video editing. A laptop fast enough to do justice to the demands of 3D editing is going to cost a pretty penny. If all you're going to do with it is edit 3D, it seems to me that a desktop makes more sense. It's easier to expand - with multiple drives, a good video card, plenty of cheap RAM, etc. A laptop sounds great for space savings, but ultimately you'll probably find it limiting and frustrating.

Joe Clark

Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page