How to Create 3D Blu-ray Discs from JVC GS-TD1 Camcorder Footage - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 07-24-2012, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
and is it also possible to work with the 2 different formats in 1 project on sony vegas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 08-01-2012, 05:02 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

When you start Vegas Pro, set up the project for 3D. Do this:
If Vegas crashes, you may not have enough space free for the burn to complete. Make sure you have several times the space used by the iso file free on the hard drive, and make sure your C: drive has plenty of space, too.

If you're sure you have enough space and Vegas Pro still crashes, then you likely left one of the GPU Accelerations options enabled. The Vegas Pro developers tried to speed-up video creation by using GPU acceleration, which causes Vegas Pro to crash on many systems, actually slowing down video creation. It's pretty wide-spread looking at the Sonycreative forum and various web sites (Google search on "Vegas Pro GPU Crash"). My computer works great with Vegas Pro since disabling multiple locations of the GPU acceleration option. It's a shame they didn't test this capability before unleashing it.

Anyway, I'm just about about to burn a 3D wedding (no menus), so I'm reading up on the proper procedure. I tried the 3840x1080 conversion method in Vegas --> PD10. PD10 always gives me an out-of-memory error at about 24% and I haven't been able to solve that one yet. I think I'm going back to the Vegas 3D --> ISO --> BD Burn method instead.
post #33 of 40 Old 08-01-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Vegas Pro can mix many different supported formats on the timeline without the need to prerender like Final Cut is required to do.

My current project has the following formats mixed and the timeline plays and renders fine-
1. 8mm to avi
2. Hi 8 to avi
3. DVCAM to DV AVI
4. paired clips
5. MVC clips
6. SBS Half clips
7. wmv clips
8. MPO
9. jpg
10 png
11. sequential png

When exporting a video to PD10, I use T/B Full 2160 24P x 1920 rendering in Vegas. I've always had trouble with SBS Full. It will render but the result is loaded with streaks and miss placed pixels. TB Full is perfect. I also do a separate rendering for the audio as a PCM wav file set.

As far as the GPU acceleration goes, while many people swear by the nvidia cards, it seems that Vegas does not work well with them. Very few Vegas users have had success. I think Wolfgang is one of the few. I hear more people using nvidia cards having crash reports than with FirePro cards.

Personally, I trust the Sony engineers on this one and when they told me what card they use in development, that was the one I wanted to use. It's the ATI Fire Pro3D V8800. I also had some frequent crashing when my C drive was too small. A couple of weeks ago, I switched to a C drive SSD that has 140 Gb of free space and since, I have not had any crashes. There is a work around for the problem of not enough free space on the C drive but unless you have a spare SSD using an alternate hard drive that is not SSD can significantly impact the render speed.

I also uninstalled my adobe CS-3. Not sure if there was a conflict but my system crashed more often when CS-3 was installed. Now, I normally run with 2-3 instances of Vegas open and the system runs fine.
post #34 of 40 Old 08-02-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

As far as the GPU acceleration goes, while many people swear by the nvidia cards, it seems that Vegas does not work well with them. Very few Vegas users have had success. I think Wolfgang is one of the few. I hear more people using nvidia cards having crash reports than with FirePro cards.
Personally, I trust the Sony engineers on this one and when they told me what card they use in development, that was the one I wanted to use. It's the ATI Fire Pro3D V8800. I also had some frequent crashing when my C drive was too small. A couple of weeks ago, I switched to a C drive SSD that has 140 Gb of free space and since, I have not had any crashes. There is a work around for the problem of not enough free space on the C drive but unless you have a spare SSD using an alternate hard drive that is not SSD can significantly impact the render speed.
I also uninstalled my adobe CS-3. Not sure if there was a conflict but my system crashed more often when CS-3 was installed. Now, I normally run with 2-3 instances of Vegas open and the system runs fine.

Don, you're lucky. I have a new ATI graphics card (fanless - I'd have to check the model number next time I boot). I have a 256GB SDD with 140GB free. All of the prerequisites are checked and Vegas still crashes with GPU acceleration enabled. If they've narrowed things down to a specific graphics card family that works and the rest of the PC video cards don't work, then the GPU acceleration should come up defaulted to off. Or at least provide some type of warning about this behavior. In the end, it's just poor programming since the only error message lists the cause as "an unknown error".

Luckily any affected users can bypass the problem by simply disabling GPU acceleration. The funny thing is that SonyCreative support doesn't seem to know this. You have to check with the user community to find this out. If I didn't have to stay on 32-bit W7 due to driver compatibility issues, I'd have purchased Premiere Pro by now. But, that's not an option so finding ways to make Vegas work is my only choice.

BTW, I was just watching a BD3D disc I made last night with Vegas Pro / Imgburn and it looks very good. Thanks for the posted instructions and the other hints in this thread!
post #35 of 40 Old 08-02-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 164
alk- I'm sure you'd know it if you had purchased the V8800 series card as they are quite pricey but they work. Do have to use the proper driver though which I had discovered in the readme files and downloaded.

Also, you really do need to switch to 64bit for 3D editing. Anyway, you are on the way to resolving the issues one at a time. When people ask me about editing 3D I tell them straight up, it can be done with normal editing computer, but if you want performance, be prepared to build the most robust and expensive system you have ever done. Right now the only crashes I get are when I allocate 7Gb of Dynamic Ram for shift B previews and then forget to reset it back to 0 when done, then I try to open a 4th instance of Vegas and then the system slows to a crawl. Still, I do save my project often but unlike before when I had 16Gb of C drive space and had to save every move as it would crash so often, now with the new Vertex 4 256Gb C drive, I save my work about once every 30 minutes or so.

I agree that the crash reports don't work too well but there are tools that can help you determine where the trouble is. One freebee I use here is: www.Moo0.com system monitor. It's free and really helped me find where my bottlenecks in my computer were. I load it up and have it monitor in a right sidebar, every drive, ram CPU and app hitting the system at the moment. It's how I discovered my AV was causing about 25% increase in render time. It showed me that the C drive free space had reduced by 35Gb during a 7 minute iso file render. The version I use does not offer diagnostics on the graphics card. I understand they are working on that.
post #36 of 40 Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

alk- ...Also, you really do need to switch to 64bit for 3D editing...

Unfortunately I don't get that choice, since I have enough unique devices attached and a couple of those will not be providing a 64-bit driver. The other option I looked at was to create a second computer (actually a 3rd computer after the laptop, which is 64-bit) and split my work between the computers. At this time it doesn't seem worthwhile - particularly if ProTools continues to work with 32-bit Windows. However, as software continues to "improve" I may still end up with a 64-bit computer for the video work.
post #37 of 40 Old 08-15-2013, 09:02 AM

Hello

I'm a JVC TD-1 since 2011, for me it's video quality is good also I'm 3D enthusiastic.
I read your first post about 2 years ago.
You mention that Edius can import files from JVC MVC TD-1, could you please explain to me this workflow? I have installed the trial version of Edius 7.0 and I want to import TD-1 .mp4 files, and the next error pop ups: (0x8007000d). Could you help me, I do not know what I'm doing wrong ...

Thank you

Adan
post #38 of 40 Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
This sounds like a Windows error message, but I'm not sure. Does Edius crash at this point?

So far, Edius hasn't had a problem with any of my JVC footage. But I'm using version 6.5 - haven't upgraded to Edius 7 yet.

Joe Clark

post #39 of 40 Old 10-13-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang S. View Post
Sure there is, I think Joe explores that at the moment but he will end up with something like that
a) shoot with the TD1 in MVC 1080 60i mode
b) import that in Edius 6.5 and edit it
c) export from Edius 6.5 to sbs-full or top-bottom full with 1080 60i, better with 1080 60p
d) import that in Vegas and burn your 3D-BD with 1080 24p!

Alternative: convert the footage with the Grass Valley AVCHD converter to the Canpus HQ codec and edit it in Vegas directly.

We still have to test that workflow, but I think it should work.
You wrote about solution how to use JVC GS-TD1 mp4 3D footage in Sony Vegas. Could you describe it in detail?

I search for ability to use jvc 3d footage directly in Sony Vegas, and still can't find any way.

As I know, problem caused by JVC implementation non popular standard ISO 14496-15 (aka AVC1). This standard advances AVC and describes using one mp4 track for two video streams. If you know way to do batch convert every complex mp4 file to two simple 2D files (one for left stream and one for right stream) it would solve the problem.

Last edited by pgavrilov; 10-14-2014 at 02:53 AM.
post #40 of 40 Old 10-14-2014, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavrilov View Post
If you know way to do batch convert every complex mp4 file to two simple 2D files (one for left stream and one for right stream) it would solve the problem.
Buy MVC to AVI converter (29 EUR):
http://www.3dtv.at/Downloads/Index_en.aspx

I am using it for separating left and right view.

Damir
Reply 3D Source Components