Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung 3D TV UN55C8000XF
Samsung 3D Blu-Ray player BD-C6900
Onkyo Receiver HT-RC160
Computer and DVR Cable Box

I have all the equipment connected to the Onkyo Receiver using High Speed HDMI cables then the HDMI output from the Onkyo Receiver is connected to the TV.
Everything was working fine using all HDMI cable connections until I received firmware update 1020.4
Here is what happened I went to watch a 3D movie which I had played before without any problem', and the BD-C6900 player wanted to receive an update, which I said OK. The new firmware update was 1020.4.
After the update was finished I could not play 3D or Blu-Ray disc anymore, I could only play DVD disc.
I called Samsung and they had me send the player to them to have it fixed.

When I received the 3D Blu-Ray player back from Samsung I connected it back up the way I had it before the problem. I now I can play DVD and Blu-Bay disc, but I could not play 3D disc. Trying to play a 3D disc I get the menu but once I tell the player to play the movie I received a message stating No Signal Check devices or cables I swapped HDMI cables but that did not help.
If I plug the 3D Blu-Ray player directly to the HDMI port on the TV it works, I can watch all movie formats now DVD, Blu-Bay and 3D disc.
I can live with connecting the player to the TV via the HDMI port, but for the sound I have to use the TosLink Fiber Optic sound port connection to the Onkyo Receiver, which I think only supports 5.1 surround sound, not 7.1 surround sound.
I received another firmware update 1021.2' but this did not fix the issue.
Any other suggestions on what to try so I can use all HDMI cables to the Onkyo Receiver, like it was before the firmware update?
Can anyone tell me what Samsung may have done to the 3D Blu-Ray player to make this quit working?
I bought all the equipment last year brand new and would hate to have to replace it so soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-30-2011, 08:10 PM

It appears to me that your Onkyo is not HDMI 1.4 compliant needed for 3d bandwidth for passthrough. Since most BD players firmware updates are now enforcing stricter adherence to HDMI standards to remain in licensing compliance. Personally I opted for the Samsung BD-7900 with the dual HDMI output simply because there are times (they're typically late night viewing) that i rather watch a bluray(regular or 3d) simply through my tv. This solves my dilemma of not sacrificing direct HDMI connections to both my 3dtv & reciever for Hi-res audio.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-31-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

I see what you are saying,,, but it was working untill Samsung sent me a firmware update. Why would Samsung break something that was working just fine?
post #4 of 7 Old 08-01-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwilson4 View Post

I see what you are saying,,, but it was working untill Samsung sent me a firmware update. Why would Samsung break something that was working just fine?

They are probably required to make the change because of their licensing agreement with the HDMI consortium. In that case, they don't see it as "breaking" anything. And this isn't the first time such a thing has happened. A number of years ago, there were a few DVD players that would upconvert DVDs to 1080i over component. The MPAA got wind of it, and for at least one of the players, a firmware update that fixed some issues also quietly disabled upconversion via component (the player also had DVI out). You can imagine the uproar over that!

Note that I'm not saying it doesn't suck, just that **it happens...

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #5 of 7 Old 03-17-2012, 08:33 AM

Serious Error after upgarding firmware to 1022.0 playing BD-R DLs (3D & 2D)

I have upgraded to latest firmware suggested in samsung website
(was 1022.0)
after that playing all my discs was impaired. I could not play BD-R DL
at all or could play very impaired.
first time I sent it to SAM SERVICE and they can't diagnose problem but
replaced main board so the firmware changed to 1013.0 and all things went
ok. It played correct. For new "THREE MUSKITIERS 3D" I had to upgrade
to play correctly. because for some Items old one does notplay some titles.
So after upgrading to 1022.0 I noticed problem is because of new and damaged
firmware. It causes optic not read BD-R DL ones. many of discs tried (both 2D and 3D) and all of them was faulty on BD-C6900 with 1022.0
All disc was playable on OLD and NEW samsung with old firmware and
all was Ok on PC BD-ROM and other brands linke SONY, LG, PANASONIC
with any firmware.

please guide me to corrected firmware or at least something
to downgrade firmware. my player is out of service with your new
faulty firmware,
post #6 of 7 Old 03-20-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'll probably get flambasted for this one... The one thing being an early adopter of HD disc formats as taught me? Do not buy Samsung BD players.

Sorry for the mostly useless post of mine here.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-20-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

I'll probably get flambasted for this one... The one thing being an early adopter of HD disc formats as taught me? Do not buy Samsung BD players.

Sorry for the mostly useless post of mine here.

I've been burned by an early 1080p DVD player (not very good picture quality and added additional color banding to a paired Samsung DLP HDTV) and more recently by a Blu-ray player (breakup during playback of DVD's) of theirs. Down to just using Sony and Panasonic players for me personally.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page