Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-09-2011, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Two updates for all of you enjoying Blu-ray 3D movies on PS3:

3D support will now be available when accessing Java-based special features on Blu-Ray
DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR decoding/bit stream output (or lossless audio) will be supported while playing Blu-ray 3D movies.
3D digital photos in MPO format can now be viewed in 3D on the XMB and in the Photo Gallery app.

The 3.70 update will be available soon; additional details will be available after the firmware goes live here.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...=update_080911
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-10-2011, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome. Thanks for the info.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
so it does DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR, for 3d films.

Nice
post #4 of 20 Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Again, I asked in another thread, now that the 1.3 PS3 can pass full HD 3D video and full HD audio, what is the point of 1.4? Is it like that "analog sunset" scheme where hardware manufacturers conspired with the HDMI forum to get people to buy new equipment?
post #5 of 20 Old 08-10-2011, 08:27 AM

Wow, great news! So weren't these the two complaints that made people say watching 3d blu-rays on the ps3 was more like the 'lite' version? Is there anything that we're missing out on now by using a ps3?
post #6 of 20 Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

Again, I asked in another thread, now that the 1.3 PS3 can pass full HD 3D video and full HD audio, what is the point of 1.4? Is it like that "analog sunset" scheme where hardware manufacturers conspired with the HDMI forum to get people to buy new equipment?

For 3D the PS3 through the firmware update complies with the 1.4 HDMI spec.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Posted in another thread:

Installed the update last night. The PS3 now passes full dts HD but not Dolby TrueHD (Megamind is still downconverted to lossy DD; I'm guessing this is a licensing issue and not a hardware or software limitation and I'm betting that there will be another update in a few months).

To me, this raises the BS flag on the entire HDMI 1.4 spec. At first they told us that 1.3 didn't have enough bandwidth to pass HD 3D. Then they told us that 1.3 didn't have enough bandwidth to pass lossless audio. The HDMI forum either flat out lied and/or were too lazy to innovate on the software to get 1.3 up to spec.

So I fully expect that a technological miracle will be announces shortly stating that 1.3 can now do Deep Color, ARC, and ethernet.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-11-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

Posted in another thread:

Installed the update last night. The PS3 now passes full dts HD but not Dolby TrueHD (Megamind is still downconverted to lossy DD; I'm guessing this is a licensing issue and not a hardware or software limitation and I'm betting that there will be another update in a few months).

To me, this raises the BS flag on the entire HDMI 1.4 spec. At first they told us that 1.3 didn't have enough bandwidth to pass HD 3D. Then they told us that 1.3 didn't have enough bandwidth to pass lossless audio.

Who is "they"? HDMI 1.3 has always been able to pass lossless audio, and 3D has been possible since 1.3a.

Standards for 3D were created in HDMI 1.4 and 1.4a

Quote:

The HDMI forum either flat out lied and/or were too lazy to innovate on the software to get 1.3 up to spec.

So I fully expect that a technological miracle will be announces shortly stating that 1.3 can now do Deep Color, ARC, and ethernet.

Again, DeepColor and xvYCC has been available since HDMI 1.3.

3D standardization w/protocols, ARC, 4kx2k resolution, and Ethernet are covered by HDMI 1.4 and 1.4a.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 20 Old 08-11-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkm1998 View Post

Wow, great news! So weren't these the two complaints that made people say watching 3d blu-rays on the ps3 was more like the 'lite' version? Is there anything that we're missing out on now by using a ps3?

There is still no toaster. (I use my Onkyo TX-SR805 AVR for that)

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 20 Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The reason for the delayed enabling of Java and DTS-HD was that the PS3 was maxing out the cell processors to do 3D. The PS3 was never designed for 3D but Sony found a way to utilize the cell processors to supplement the Nvidia video chip to do it. They were able to optimize the code to enable the additional 3D features (Java and DTS-HD). I assume Dolby HD utilizes more resources than DTS-HD so Sony is still working on this feature for 3D Blu-ray discs. Sony implemented the HDMI 1.4 requirements for 3D via a firmware update.

"It has long been suspected that the PS3's Cell Processor was originally intended more for a multitasking media box than a game system, with the helper cores pointed at IM sessions, MP3 playback, or web browsing instead of doing the heavy lifting. According to The Race for a New Game Machine by David Shippy, one of the designers of the Cell, the helper cores were originally intended to handle sound processing in addition to the rendering of 3D graphics. The latter didn't work out, and an NVIDIA GPU was added to the design very late in the game. Assuming the AVWatch report is correct, reconstructing the second 1080p video stream must be taking the vast majority of these cores to accomplish."

http://www.hometechtell.com/technolo...udio-decoding/
post #11 of 20 Old 08-12-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkm1998 View Post

The other 3D pitfall is that Sony's PS3 can't directly playback 3D files from the Sony TD10 camcorder in 3D by any method. Have to first convert the 1080i60 to 1080p24 or 720p60 and then must burn it to a bluray disk.

The PS3 will play these files in 2D only, blocking the extra eye information from reaching the monitor.

It's not a processing power issue since the decoding of 60i is on par with the decoding of 24p, and the data rate of the TD10 files is less than the maximum of the bluray spec.

Strange that Sony decided not to allow for this, since this is a terrible lack of interoperability across the Sony consumer product line, since PS3 can't play 3D from Sony's own consumer camcorder.

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #12 of 20 Old 08-13-2011, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

The other 3D pitfall is that Sony's PS3 can't directly playback 3D files from the Sony TD10 camcorder in 3D by any method. Have to first convert the 1080i60 to 1080p24 or 720p60 and then must burn it to a bluray disk.

The PS3 will play these files in 2D only, blocking the extra eye information from reaching the monitor.

It's not a processing power issue since the decoding of 60i is on par with the decoding of 24p, and the data rate of the TD10 files is less than the maximum of the bluray spec.

Strange that Sony decided not to allow for this, since this is a terrible lack of interoperability across the Sony consumer product line, since PS3 can't play 3D from Sony's own consumer camcorder.

The PS3 is a Blu-ray3D player.

The TD-10 has HDMI out. Why even try to use the PS3?

post #13 of 20 Old 08-13-2011, 05:21 AM

Hmm..so can the ps3 do ARC (audio return ch.) with lossless audio. I hook it with a single cable to my 3d tv ,would it pass bitstream lossless audio to my 1.4 receiver without needing another cable?
post #14 of 20 Old 08-13-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post

Hmm..so can the ps3 do ARC (audio return ch.) with lossless audio. I hook it with a single cable to my 3d tv ,would it pass bitstream lossless audio to my 1.4 receiver without needing another cable?

Depends on your TV. But I believe most only pass LPCM from inputs other than the built in tuner.
post #15 of 20 Old 08-13-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe the purpose of ARC is to pass over-the-air TV audio back to the AVR over HDMI without the need for additional cabling.

post #16 of 20 Old 08-13-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

The PS3 is a Blu-ray3D player.

The TD-10 has HDMI out. Why even try to use the PS3?

To preview, trim, edit, archive etc our 3D videos using DLNA with the PS3 as we do for most videos we view on the PS3. Very convenient to do 2D this way for years. Preposterous that 3D doesn't work with DLNA for our TD10 3D videos.

The TD10 is for getting the raw footage in 3D, not really durable or convenient for playback except if there was no other way, which isn't the case when at home.

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #17 of 20 Old 10-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Since the PS3 is now HDMI 1.4 compatible with the latest firmware update, if I am using an HDMI 1.3 cable am I getting any loss in video signal or audio information?
post #18 of 20 Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrodschockow View Post

Since the PS3 is now HDMI 1.4 compatible with the latest firmware update, if I am using an HDMI 1.3 cable am I getting any loss in video signal or audio information?

No.
post #19 of 20 Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 PM

So no need to buy a new cable. Nice. Thanks for the response.
post #20 of 20 Old 10-07-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

3D digital photos in MPO format can now be viewed in 3D on the XMB and in the Photo Gallery app.
[

Can someone explain how this works? I have the latest update. I inserted a USB flashdrive into it ... but the MPO files were not detected.

Will the PhotoGallery detect the MPO files on the USB drive ?
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page