Why does PMB convert MTS files to M2TS files during import? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-21-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help! Why does this happen when I'm trying to backup the 3D files for my HDR-TD10? Is there a quality difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-21-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 104
No quality difference. A better question would be why does the TD10 store the video in MTS sequentially numbered files internally and not just full 3D m2TS files in the first place? It has to do with the memory system format that limits the file size so that any long recording is truncated into several files that are stitched together in PMB for viewing on your computer. It also extracts the meta data and makes a file name based on the time and date of the clip which may be constructed from several of those MTS files. Using FAT32 the format makes more efficient use of the memory in the camera for both long and short length clips. I also believe there are no royalties on the rights to FAT32. All cameras use this formatting.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-21-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

No quality difference. A better question would be why does the TD10 store the video in MTS sequentially numbered files internally and not just full 3D m2TS files in the first place? It has to do with the memory system format that limits the file size so that any long recording is truncated into several files that are stitched together in PMB for viewing on your computer. It also extracts the meta data and makes a file name based on the time and date of the clip which may be constructed from several of those MTS files. Using FAT32 the format makes more efficient use of the memory in the camera for both long and short length clips. I also believe there are no royalties on the rights to FAT32. All cameras use this formatting.

So there is no difference in either the mts file or the m2TS file in regard to editing and end product?

What I'm intending to do is take a LOT of footage and just store it on my hard drive for later editing by whichever editing software I end up with. Should I pull the vids off with PMB and have converted to the m2TS format, or should I just copy the original mts files off of the HD10?

Thank you!
post #4 of 9 Old 08-21-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamesb View Post

So there is no difference in either the mts file or the m2TS file in regard to editing and end product?

What I'm intending to do is take a LOT of footage and just store it on my hard drive for later editing by whichever editing software I end up with. Should I pull the vids off with PMB and have converted to the m2TS format, or should I just copy the original mts files off of the HD10?

Thank you!

PMB does not change the quality of the video when importing.

Both PMB and Vegas can edit either MTS or M2TS, though some users report problems with segments greater than 2GB with a low price version of Vegas, when PMB was not used to import the files.

Some users report that importing with PMB is slower than direct copying, when the PMB is run under Win7.

The advantages of using PMB instead of copying files are:
  • Segments the TD10 split to 2GB file are automatically correctly joined
  • Segments are cataloged by time and date
  • Files imported from a "direct from TD10" USB drive backup correlate with files imported from the TD10 in PMB, eliminating duplicates or erroneous deleting.

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #5 of 9 Old 08-21-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

PMB does not change the quality of the video when importing.

Both PMB and Vegas can edit either MTS or M2TS, though some users report problems with segments greater than 2GB with a low price version of Vegas, when PMB was not used to import the files.

Some users report that importing with PMB is slower than direct copying, when the PMB is run under Win7.

The advantages of using PMB instead of copying files are:
  • Segments the TD10 split to 2GB file are automatically correctly joined
  • Segments are cataloged by time and date
  • Files imported from a "direct from TD10" USB drive backup correlate with files imported from the TD10 in PMB, eliminating duplicates or erroneous deleting.

Using PMB, it modifies the date created on the M2TS file to the date it was imported. If you copy directly from the TD10 HD or the SDHC card (if you use external media), it retains the date on the MTS file.

I don't care much for editing right now, but I do want to archive the raw files for later on. Can PMB settings be modified so that it doesn't convert the files to M2TS??
post #6 of 9 Old 08-22-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuall View Post

Using PMB, it modifies the date created on the M2TS file to the date it was imported. If you copy directly from the TD10 HD or the SDHC card (if you use external media), it retains the date on the MTS file.

I don't care much for editing right now, but I do want to archive the raw files for later on. Can PMB settings be modified so that it doesn't convert the files to M2TS??

NOT TRUE!
PMB takes the meta data ( date and time recorded ) stored in the MTS internal file and uses that to name the m2ts imported file regardless of when it was imported. PMB will store the files to a folder using the date you imported as a default folder name but you have the option to override that and set the folder to any name you want. Ypu can't change the meta data in the MTS file to any name you want until AFTER the file is imported, then you may use windows to "Rename" the file to anything you wish.

In addition to what Richard said, using the MTS file directly copied will generate a number of problems in editing such as a mismatched audio to video sync.

I once compared it to this for those who just refused to understand- If you want to eat a piece of cake, would you rather buy a box of cake mix and eat it out of the box? Or, rather bake the cake according to the recipe on the box and eat the intended finished cake?

There is a process you can do to use windows or DOS and copy the raw files to a hard drive directly for archiving as is and later set up PMB to do the proper conversion from that hard drive ( rather than the camcorder) to another hard drive folder that is m2ts and end up with the same thing, just you worked harder to get there. Serves no purpose except a more difficult process. If you want to archive your video, your best way is to use PMB and convert to m2ts in folders of your naming choice. Then if the hard drive fills up you can always copy the folders to backup storage media like DVD data disks. Personally, I store all my archived raw m2ts clips to large 1TB hard drives. Others here have chosen to store them on a DVD. Still others put the clips on the Vegas timeline and just render them to a playable BluRay. All easy and depends on what your intention is for the future. If you store the originals (m2TS ) it is easier to get to them for editing later as originals, but you can't as easily play them.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-22-2011, 07:03 AM

Thank you. I like frosting so prefer it on the cake. I'm glad I asked. Just made sure I have PMB installed on my laptop. Might as well convert when I can.

On the transfer speed, from the HD10 to PC??? Extremely Sow, until I unplugged it from a USB3.0 on the font panel and plugged it in to a 2.0 on the back panel, direct to motherboard.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 AM

The files MTS when transformed in M2TS have the same content. I use linux Ubuntu and we have a command line that compares 2 archives. I use this and the answer is that are not difference between the two archives. In other words the archives are the same.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-06-2013, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If there is the intention to edit the TD10 files later, I would use Vegas Moviestudio HD Platinum or Vegas Pro instead of the PMB (or now PMH). The device explorer in Vegas will also join larger files in a perfect way. And one has the advantage to see immediately how the files look like in Vegas.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page